The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Give New Contract To Promising Young Defender

10:32 am, Friday, August 26th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 112 Comments

For the second time in 24 hours Newcastle have given a new contract to one of their promising youngsters and a local lad too.

20 year-old Jamie Sterry has just been given a new four year deal at Newcastle and that follows Adam Armstrong’s new four year deal he signed yesterday.

jamie sterry

20 year-old Jamie Sterry – new four year deal

This is hat Newcastle have just put in their web-site:

====

Promising defender Jamie Sterry has signed a new four-year contract with the Magpies.

The news caps a good week for the Newcastle-born 20-year-old, who made his full debut for the Club in Tuesday night’s EFL Cup win against Cheltenham.

Academy product Sterry made his senior bow as a substitute against Tottenham on the final day of last season.

The right-back is the latest of Rafa Benitez’s young players to commit his long-term future to the Club, following

Freddie Woodman, Rolando Aarons and Adam Armstrong who have all agreed new contracts in recent weeks.

====

This is what Jamie said after signing the new deal:

“I’m delighted to sign a new contract with Newcastle, my boyhood Club.

“I’ve worked really hard to get here and this week has been really good for me, starting for the first time and now this.

“I’ve learnt a lot, especially under the manager but also under every coach and every manager, and I’d like to thank my family and girlfriend.

“Now I just need to keep working hard and hopefully get more opportunities to play in front of our fans.”

Rafa Benitez with the help of Managing Director Lee Charnley have been getting though a lot of work in singing new players and selling players who are surplus to requirements.

But they are also taking care of the promising youngsters coming through the club – who are so important for the future of the club.

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Contracts · Jamie Sterry · Newcastle News · Newcastle Youth

112 responses so far ↓

• 1 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:34 AM

Watching the Nobby Solano reel a few threads back.

What great set-pieces we had in those times, between Solano, Robert and Shearer we used to score 8+goals directly from free-kicks each season.

In recent years I’m sure we’ve gone entire seasons without a single one.

• 2 hibbitt // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:35 AM

repost to slow to catch

Ed expatmag

Rafa obviously doesn’t think “that probably could have done a decent job in the championship” is good enough
    who are these world beaters we should of kept ?
    remembering we had no choice with Townsend

• 3 Slank // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Charlie @ 1

Why have you selected the right footed Yedlin as left back ?

Playing him in an unfamiliar position on his debut is just asking for trouble which Brighton will exploit.

• 4 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:37 AM

Sterry is quietly developing without all the hype and expectation, long may it continue.

• 5 Slank // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Hail Wor Ashley

I once saw Nobby in possibly the worst ever executed free kick when he and two other players all jumped over the ball thinking the other was going to take it.

• 6 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Slank
    Does it matter if a right footed player plays left back
    and a left footed player plays right back??

Reasoning – a right footed player playing left back attacker has to go on the outside so defender should push him wide so has no room to work

left footed player playing left back attacker cuts inside so defender has to show him inside which leaves extra room for overlapping fullback.

never mind that is why I am not a manager

• 7 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:44 AM

Slank

Yes,I remember it well! 🙂 They were usually so good at set-pieces some questioned whether it was a deliberate ploy to throw the opposition off – don’t think so on that occasion, but who knows? Don’t recall any comment afterwards from them about it.

Used to love the edge of the box Shearer/Nobby routine. Nobby feigning to roll it off so the wall and chargers would jump the gun, then as the ref was ordering them back into line, resettling back into position with their guard and attention lowered, he’d then touch it off for Big Al to blast through them. Good times.

• 8 Munster Mag // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:48 AM

Jeez we lose one striker, and another big guy who hasn’t played yet and probably wouldn’t have scored given lack of match sharpness, and only 27% think we will win at home to Brighton. Wow. This league is gonna be a real struggle.

• 9 Munster Mag // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Am beginning to hope Sissoko has to stay. I always thought we over priced him at 35mill so hope it doesn’t come back to bit use when Le Sulk Mk 2 is dragging himself around the paddock. For once, this transfer window might be worth watching till it closes. I still blame Rafa and Charnley for not targeting more attack minded players. we wont get out of this league giving too much respect to teams and being too cautious. The positive is that we played some good stuff v Cheltenham the other night. The negative is that if we go to places like Derby and Ipswich and play like we did v Bristol City, I don’t think we will get 3 points.

• 10 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:54 AM

I voted for a win.

About time we turned in a performance and get a result.

3-0 home victory, right back in the mix at the international break.

Knockaert to be pleading for us to bid for him again afterwards, once he’s tasted a raucous St James Park.

• 11 Blofal // Aug 26, 2016 at 10:56 AM

Munster I can see a talk behind the scenes with Sissoko along the lines off “stay this season and we will let you go for $15m at the end of it if we are promoted”

• 12 lochinvar // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:00 AM

First things first – let’s get well ahead with minutes to spare then if this guy Knockhaert is worth having start chanting his name non stop – it turned Rafa’s head why not his !

Having said that if he ends up here as a dud we can’t complain ( although we can always blame Chanley or Carr as is our want ) if he turns up and becomes a supers star we can all say told you so !

• 13 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Northern Echo: Newcastle are close to completing a £2.5m deal for Palermo left-back Achraf Lazaar.

From Twitter. Like the look of him and at £2.5m seems a snip. Just checked, his contract ends next summer, so that explains it if true.

• 14 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:03 AM

I see Rafa is not to blame for our underwhelming recruitment. No, it’s not Rafa’s fault. It’s Ashley’s.

Silly me. I thought, before signing up, Rafa had negotiated long and hard with the powers that be. I want a major involvement in recruitment and final say on incomings and outgoings. He wanted a budget to match his ambition, surely? All of the money from sales plus a good bit more more will be spent on building a squad to get us up at the first time of asking, surely?

Rafa’s done a decent job of getting rid of the deadwood. And he’s made several canny purchases. But I don’t see how it’s anywhere near enough. There’s still time yet of course.

The time to make reasonable judgments and predictions is after the window is shut. Has Rafa done a good job in preparing us to win this league? Let’s wait a few more days.

• 15 Rotonda heights // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Slank

Most people have their teams listed from right to left starting with the keeper. I just thought Charlie meant players right to left but just listed it in a different way.

Expat mag

Bit strong calling Rafa (the management) a liar. Rafa is simply addressing not being able to attract top players any more given the situation we’re in.

As well as a blueprint for the training facilities, youth academy, medical people, involving the community etc, Rafa has also managed to get rid of a lot of people on big wages who should have been got shot of a long time ago.

Bringing in gayle, ritchie, diame etc is no mean feat. yes we need a creative midfielder , forward and left back and apparently we made offers for forestieri, knockaert and Galloway, all of which were rejected. How can anyone say Rafa is lying and not trying to address issues.

Like when we win, ie 3 in a row, some people just moan we were ”lucky”. Guess some just love to moan and think they would do better than a cl winning coach.

• 16 Rotonda heights // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:05 AM

spelt wont, pronounced want.

• 17 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Lochinvar

I think chanting an opposition players name is a bit far, even if we were 10-0 up.

Personally I’d rather we go for Brady. Knockaert has performed well at this level and I’d take him, but style still too much like Cabella and Thauvin for me to be too comfortable at the thought of him coming and easily succeeding where they didn’t.

One thing is for sure, a winger of some description is needed.

• 18 toon kk // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Hail
    let’s hope we pull off a win tomorrow, remember our goalscorer (Gayle) won’t be available.
    When you voted were you being optimistic or realistic?

• 19 Slank // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Charlie

It does matter.

When attacking a good left footed left back should be able to get passed an opponent on the outside and whip in a strong cross to the forwards. A right footed left back can rarely do that.

When defending a good winger will exploit the fullbacks weak left leg and get to the byline.

Santon was the epitome of a right footed player at left back. When attacking he rarely got in a cross, he rarely got to the byline. He could be read like a book. He always moved inside to his right when faced by an opponent.

• 20 G // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:12 AM

I voted for a win, more so because Brighton are having a bit of an injury crisis at the back. Although we are suddenly down a couple of bods in attack, I can see us sneaking a couple past them.

• 21 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:13 AM

I am not underwhelmed at all by our recruitment. I think our current position means we have done pretty well. We have moaned for years about being short at the back, and now all we need really is a starting LB, even then we probably have enough cover there to do the job

We have lost plenty of attacking players (many of whom hardly kicked a ball anyway) and it has to be hard work getting enough competent bodies in to cover.

So,if we sign this Lazaar bloke, i think we could do with a creative MF and a LW. I think Perez, Goof, Mitro, and of course Gayle are all good enough for the CF role in the champs.

People who are underwhelmed can be so if they want to. Just make sure you word it so that you don’t appear to be talking about everyone.

• 22 Slank // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Hail Wor Ashley

‘.. a deliberate ploy to throw the opposition off..’

It certainly fooled me !

• 23 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:16 AM

Charlie
    I saw Jesus for the first time the other night. A right footer playing left back. He made a couple of good tackles. But he looked uncomfortable in possession because he is right footed on the left side.

My first impression was of a man who turns in to work to do a job. Nothing more. We get beat, okay. I ‘m getting paid. I don’t need to bust a gut. With any luck Newcastle will send me back like many others and subsidise my wages. I’m only here for a short stint.

Now that might be grossly unfair. I’ve got an open mind about it. That was just my first impression of his input and body language on the night.

• 24 Slank // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:21 AM

Rotonda heights

‘..Most people have their teams listed from right to left starting with the keeper. I just thought Charlie meant players right to left but just listed it in a different way…’

I would agree with you except that Charlie had Anita as the other fullback and we know how effective he is as a left back.

Some people may not like Dummitt but in the absence of an alternative left footed defender surely it is better to have ’round pegs in round holes’ so to speak.

• 25 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Lochinvar
    Sorry fella. Chanting an oppo player’s name to encourage him to sign is the most pathetic, unrealistic, cringeworthy suggestion I think I’ve ever heard. It sounds like it’s come not from the armchair but from the back of the sofa.

• 26 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Dummet is definsively solid. He gets a lot of stick which is utter tripe imo. He doesn’t give much going forward,but if you need a defensive LB who will nullify a winger (and he has done to a few good ones in the past) then Dummet is the man. Just expect him to get a nose bleed when he crosses half way 😀

• 27 hibbitt // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:26 AM

at this moment in time we dont have a LB that is better then Dummett do we need an upgrade yes we do but till we get one he has to play

• 28 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Hibbit

Trouble is, Dummet is one of those unfashionables. He is slightly old fashined in that he is a defender who mostly defends. He could have 8 decent games where he keeps things tight, 1 really good game where he stands out as a rock, and then in his tenth game he could maybe have an off day and everyone immediately starts calling for his head.

• 29 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:31 AM

YCMIU
    I think we have largely looked stale. Shelvey continually dropping deep to take the ball of our CB’s. Colback and Hayden with no creativity. Diame going absent for long periods and showing inconsistent quality; from the sublime to the ridiculous. Perez and Goofy have looked average at best, which is what they are even at this level; I’d shudder to rely on these two for goals.

• 30 Bobbybee // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:33 AM

People need to remind themselves what Rafa said. He said, that being in the Championship we could not expect to sign like for like players. He also said that due to this fact, he would sign players he thought could be improved with better coaching. Which is what he’s done. Nobody gets it 100% right, so expect some to fail. He’s got rid of players that he feels are rooted in failure. Hard to dispute given our last few seasons. Not having to sell doesn’t mean he won’t sell. 25m for Gini? Cracking deal. Players like Gini who don’t want to be here are no good to us whatsoever – they need to go – but expecting like for like, for a Championship club, is beyond niave. The Championship is not attractive to many quality players. We have to accept that. It’s life. But then again, we won’t be playing PL sides,
    so we don’t need a team of PL quality. Personally I think we’ll still win the league. We have a very strong side for this league – not the PL – and once they play like he wants them to play, we’ll batter some teams. Thete’s no point comparing the two because we’re in a totally different competition this season. By the time the window closes, we’ll be ready to face the season with confidence.

• 31 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:35 AM

YCMIU
    Dummett is like Danny Simpson. Similar types and so many fans saying they’re not good enough. Some just aren’t happy unless their fullbacks are marauding and deft.

• 32 G // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:38 AM

@31, agreed. Also, if Tony Pulis wanted to sign him, then you know he must be able to defend.

• 33 Rotonda heights // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:38 AM

hail

i think knockaert is physically much stronger than thauvin and cabella. could have him for 3m. typical nufc.

• 34 hibbitt // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Blackley and Brownlie
    i think your reading Diame wrong he had by far his best game for us on wednesday you did admit you didn’t have a good view he look fitter sharper and made himself available when he was moved forward he looked a real handful think its to soon to write him off

• 35 Slank // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:39 AM

YouCouldn’tMakeItUp

‘….slightly old fashioned in that he is a defender who mostly defends…’

Whatever next ?

A centre forward who scores and doesn’t get repeatedly sent off or succumbs to a head injury !

• 36 Rotonda heights // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:39 AM

pulis teams don’t really do much attacking with their anti football.

• 37 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:42 AM

Slank
    yeah but if the winger cuts inside he is bearing down on goal – don’t they say push show the opposition player to the outside. never mind I was a winger many moons ago and was happier cutting inside where I could get a shot off or slip a pass to the overlapping player.

anyway our opinions seem to has stirred up a discussion.

• 38 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:45 AM

Slank

Thats just crazy talk 😀

Probably a bit harsh about the head injury thing. FA directives and all that, but I do hope Mitro has chilled out a bit.

• 39 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Blackley

It is far too soon to write Perez off as average. Goofy maybe. He just “does a job” wherever he plays, but I can’t agree about Perez. He shows in flashes what he is capable of, but just needs the consitency to do it most of the time. So far at NUFC he has played as a winger, a No10 and a CF, most of the time in an underperforming team. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with him this season, and beyond.

• 40 Mag52 // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:55 AM

B&B.

Don’t you mean ‘marauding and daft’ ?

• 41 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Charlie

Iy also depends of the winger is playing on the “wrong” side. If i was a LB, and thier RW was actually Left footed, then of course we want him pushed wide to cross with his weak foot. However, Any fullback worth his salt should be able to “show” whichever side he wants to a winger, regardless of which foot he uses?

Just my thoughts, i was never a footballist.

• 42 jayphoto // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:56 AM

just dropping a stat out there, in light of him playing well at Right back… – Vurnon Anita actually played more games at LEFT back for Ajax than any other position…

• 43 mad-serb // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:56 AM

YouCouldn’tMakeItUp

I think he has Blackley saw the game and he says he even allowed himself to push around 🙂

• 44 jayphoto // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:58 AM

Makes sense to keep Gouff this season to me! He’s looked bright in all 3 games he’s played so far. I think we still need a starting LW but no problem with Gouff hanging around for his final year as a back up.

Had thought Riviere would do well at this level but Benitez obviously doesn’t rate what he’s seen in training which is good enough for me to think ship him out then.
    Not overly impressed with Perez or Colback in the league games so far, had expected them to be 2 of the players that really stood out

• 45 mad-serb // Aug 26, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Can someone give me the link to this famous Denis Wise Scouting network which has been mentioned today or is this just another name for youtube due to him using it apparently to sign players.

• 46 G // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:00 PM

@45, yes, it’s youtube mate.

• 47 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:00 PM

hibbitt – “Diame going absent for long periods and showing inconsistent quality” was the story of his time at West Ham. Watched every game he played for them. “Sissoko Lite” I call him. Disinterested fans and the media taken in by sporadic eye-catching performances. I think Blackley@29 has called it right with all the players he mentioned, although I base that on general knowledge rather than that individual game, which I didn’t see. And yet I still think we have to play Perez and Gouffran because they are the best options we have.

• 48 Rotonda heights // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:02 PM

jay

colback seems unable to add anything to his game. he has no vision, no killer though ball, no creativity to speak of, no pace.

Eequally he hasn’t removed the daft free kicks he gives away either. being a geordie has seen him get off lightly.

• 49 magscar // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:03 PM

Would I like a squad full of players

who cover all positions

who want to be here

who are happy when not in the side or played out of position but raring to go when selected

who are capable of doing more than getting by in PL

who haven’t been told we are merely a stepping stone in their personal development

Who get the club and fans

Who successfully make transition from a burgeoning Academy

I could go on but I am sure you get the drift

Answer of course is yes, as do most if not all fans and Rafa himself.

Whilst I can see some head way with most of these aspirations this would have been a massive overhaul even if we had stayed up but with the consequent better drawing power and financial muscle in transfers.

……but we are where we are! and unlike say Norwich have had to make massive changes ( some long overdue) in one window.

Mistakes will be made and we perhaps won’t walk promotion but at this point I see no reason to doubt Rafa is slowly turning us into a Club fit for purpose on more than financial measures.

People can ridicule the maxim that “Rome wasn’t built in a day” but guess what it wasn’t.

WE are where we are not where we wish we were or could have been but for Ashley. The repairs start here.

As for Rafa going as Expat fears I hope not. If he feels stymied by Board, things aren’t going right in League, can’t bring in players he wants, a better offer comes in or a combination of these then he might go but I trust he has made a calculated judgement and has assessed the possibilities soundly and soberly. I don’t think we can assume he hasn’t carried out due diligence.

I doubt he would have been as intemperate to enter Martoons poll with the bearish predictions many of us have made. He works in the real hard world not in Blogland 🙂

Keep the faith

• 50 jayphoto // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Thing with Knockaert, its already been pretty well reported that he’d want the move, it’s not him that needs convincing, its brighton. I’ve got Brighton to come up this year, should have come up last year really, Hoots has great experience of getting out of this division and whatever we could pay for Knockaert won’t be worth the Premier league riches they;’ll get if he gets 15 goals and 15 assists like he probably will…
    Hes got a contract, Brighton saved him from the abyss really, if he throws his toys out the pram, or strikes to move then I actually wouldn’t want that kind of player at Newcastle. God knows we’ve had enough of them in recent times

• 51 2_goal_tino // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:04 PM

So, Newcastle fans are often accused of going easy on and adoring players ‘just because they are Geordies’ but does anyone else notice that currently it is the only two geordies in the first team squad (i’m omitting Sterry and Arma because they barely play) who are most people’s scapegoats – Colback and Dummett.

Both of them are effective at the job they are supposed to be doing, they are not world beaters and know that so just stick to their job and keep things simple.

But, just because of their unfashionable style of play, they are continuously lambasted by most fans. Saying Haidara (if fit) should play and that Shelvey needs to start ahead of Colback, when both have been consistently much less effective than Dummett or Colback.

For me, LB is our last priority right now. Dummett is a good, solid defender who prevented much more goals than the dutch international full-back we just sold, Clark looked better at LB vs Bristol than he did at CB, Haidara is okay at this level when fit and Anita can always cover as a last resort. Our priority has to be wingers – we only have two out and out wingers and one of them is now injured.

• 52 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:05 PM

YouCouldn’tMakeItUp
    Yeah that’s what I was trying to get to/at doesn’t matter what side the full back plays left or right – if they are a decent fullback ‘fullback worth his salt should be able to “show” whichever side he wants to a winger, regardless of which foot he uses?’ as you said

• 53 Slank // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:07 PM

jayphoto

I have never conducted training so wouldn’t know but, can a manager tell whether a player (Riviere) isn’t good enough just from training sessions ?

• 54 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:10 PM

So where is this “big” signing?

• 55 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:10 PM

Charlie
    Diame only came into it in the second half (the opposite end to where I was sitting), but little Cheltenham had all but surrendered after the second goal shortly after half time. I’ve not written Diame off yet by any means. I’m just saying he’s been largely fitful and generally poor. His debut was a stinker, albeit his pass for Gayle’s goal against Bristol City was quality.

• 56 Jail for Ashley // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:14 PM

goal tino,
    But Dummet is a welshie and Colback is a ginger.

• 57 magscar // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:14 PM

Slank

Don’t know about them all but Cloughie famously could – soon got rid of a new signing who “couldn’t trap a medicine ball” 🙂 ( name escapes me at moment was ginger haired Sheff Wed player for a time?)

• 58 mad-serb // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

Any player you like and have not written off already? Just curious to know who they are if any

• 59 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:18 PM

Charlie

Ah I see. Fair enough mate. I think i just got a bit confused as to who was saying what.

I guess Santon was just a poor fullback, defensively speaking. Trust us to be landed with the one Italian full back with poor technique 😀

• 60 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:19 PM

YCMIU
    Some fans adore Perez. They won’t have a bad word said. They always see the potential. It’s a similar tale with Aarons.

I just don’t get it. Perez and Aarons don’t deliver the goods. If they were driving a delivery lorry, they’d have been sacked years ago. They flatter to deceive. At least you can see what Aaron’s is trying to be, namely a winger. Perez is changed about so much because nobody knows his best position; they’re not sure what he brings. He certainly doesn’t bring enough goals to be a striker.

• 61 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:21 PM

Magscar

That saying is slightly different in my local clurrb… they say “He couldn’t trap a wet bag of cement”. Usually when talking about Shola. Still makes me laugh either way.

• 62 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Blackley

Aarons usually plays in one position, and manages a handfull of good bits before injury.

Perez plays all over the place, manages the same handfull of good bits, and seems more durable.

There is a big difference between the two. I dont worship the lad, but imo he will prove a few doubters wrong over the next few years. A good long run in the side at mainly one position will help.

• 63 magscar // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Blackas

I sometimes fall into trap of dismissing new signings after less than impressive starts ( Gayle in fact is one!). However given the squad up upheaval and players not fully match fit, playing out of position ,trying to gel in new team and tactics I think affording some of them a little more time might see some improvement.

It is odd how names stick with you from certain matches and I have pleasant recollections of Diame (several at different clubs) Clark (admittedly a couple of years ago in struggling Villa side) and Yedlin last season for shower down the road.

Occasional viewings can of course be as much a poor tool as Youtube best of’s but equally judging players on limited run outs can be as flawed.

Still wanting Mitro to come good as penny drops and with good coaching ( at 21 has time).

To mis quote McClaren judge them after 10 games isn’t perhaps too much to ask.

• 64 Munster Mag // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Bobby, yes I am judging Rafa and its a bit early, but the tactical stuff I pointed out is 100% correct and at least I did so early on . This team isn’t “his own” yet but it was typical of a defensive manager to ignore the creativity we need and instead chase guys like clark. Rafa is doin well overall and I’d hate to lose him obviously. But I aint gonna deify him – I would have if we had stayed up, but I knew we wouldn’t once Sunderland got Sam, and he got his purchases right. Also, its not Rafa who deserves praise for Wiji, its Chumley, so credit where its due. I actually don’t have many concerns re Chumley, compared to some on the blog. Rafa has got some really good players now for this level and needs a couple more but really, he is the envy of other managers in the league , no doubt about that. I don’t think we will beat Brighton though, unless we score 2 or more. Lets go for it I say.

• 65 magscar // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:28 PM

YCMITU

Yeah – heard that one as well – paints an immediately effective picture 🙂

• 66 Munster Mag // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Blackley, Diame will be a good signing, trust Munster 🙂

• 67 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Mad-serb
    I like Ritchie and Gayle. I predicted Gayle would get twice as many goals as Mitro but I wasn’t impressed with his CV or with the way Rafa played him with little support. However, I’m very encouraged by what I’ve seen to date.

I have loads of time for Lascelles, who I reckon, has the potential to become a club legend. He’s got a fantastic physique.

Hanley and Clark look like honest players and useful acquisitions.

• 68 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:33 PM

Blackley

You’re a buffoon. A gloomy, negative buffoon. I’d debate your points, but they’re so absurd and wild that it’s clear you’re too far gone.

• 69 outside the box // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:34 PM

jail for ashley….
    dummett is geordie born in toon and a left footed defender….cannot decide full back or cb
    jack colback is a geordie and left footed …ok he is ginger and lacks creativity…
    but both show 100% commitment
    charlie in gallowgate imho
    it does matter about full backs or wingers that when they ARE shown the line they then are able to cross..
    also tackling is easier to take out player with correct foot when running at speed down the line…

• 70 jayphoto // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:36 PM

@Slank – must be able to tell a bit in training ie: attitude, mentality etc
    I understand shipping thauvin out without really seeing him much, lightweight without pace isn’t the greatest mix in England butThe one for me is Saivet, never got game time, never got near the side,. Ive seen him live in france, and watched him a few times and the guy has an engine, can pass, attack, tackle, is strong etc. Really surprised he was considered not good enough, it must have been based on stuff seen in training…

Similarly, used to have a few contacts at the club (not there anymore mind) that used to assist with conditioning etc that told me Ameobi looked like a 30 goal a season striker in training and Vuckic regularly embarrassed first team players/goalkeepers with audacious skill so guess you can’t go on training too much

• 71 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Magscar
    When you’re at a game, seeing a player for the first time, you get an excellent feel for what he’s going to be like. After you see him a few times (say half a dozen), he very rarely surprises you.

• 72 jayphoto // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:39 PM

I’ve no problem with Dummett, hes an honest pro and a decent squad player. Not really a colback fan tbh. Geordie or not, I never got the impression colback came here because of being a fan… he came here for the money, he’s on a fortune because of being free. Its pretty well known his agent tried to back out of the deal but it was too late because west ham came in with a higher offer based on the fact he was a free agent…

• 73 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Hail
    You reckon I’m a buffoon. You could simply take issue with my biggest bit of buffoonery. You say you’d debate my points but they’re so absurd. So quote me and let the absurdity speak for itself. Go on. I dare you.

• 74 jayphoto // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:44 PM

quite thrilled with the signings mind. Was sick of seeing Janmaat done for pace and caught out week in week out. Yedlin is possibly the fastest player I’ve ever seen. Not seen him club wise but his performances for USA tell me theres a player in there.
    Ritchie reminds me a a keeganesque player. Can attack, runs all day etc Got that rob lee feel about him as a british player with quality.
    Not seen enough of Gamez.
    Gayle will score 20+ goals, can’t complain at that.
    Hayden looks an England player in the making
    Clark and Hanley are finding their feet, both rate above taylor and willo and colo in his last season though for me and are 3rd and 4th choice anyway
    As someone who has coached goalkeepers at kids level, I like sels. I know people are on his back, but his foundations are very good. Reminds me of de gea at man utd in his first season when everyone was on his back. Think he can develop into a seriously talented keeper when he calms down and adapts!

• 75 nut meg // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Magscar
    I think the player who Cloughie said couldn’t trap a bag of cement was Gary Megson……and he was right! Jack Charlton brought him to the toon…jeezzz!

• 76 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:47 PM

Blackley

Careful. You are approaching the “You don’t go to games so your oppinion on players does not count” territory. To be fair to other posters, you ARE appearing to write off Diame pretty quickly. Just because you have seen him play live while he is still only approaching matxh fitness does not, in fairness, make you a talent scout.

• 77 WWSBRD // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:48 PM

jay
    Now I enjoy ur posts, I may even admit to looking out for them and taking ur opinion on board, but Sels reminds u of De Gea?

• 78 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Wws

Jay could be drawing parallels to de Geas first season with Manure, where,in all honesty, he looked DODGY AS F

• 79 Jib // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:52 PM

• 80 lochinvar // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:54 PM

Blackly and co
    Your so right !
    How did I convert that thought into a message – must have banged my head when I tripped over the back of that sofa
    Consider the idea well and truly binned
    Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible

• 81 bettyswallocks // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Just looked at this Lazaar kid on YouTube. He’s definitely got pace and looks comfortable on the ball. Also he appears to be able to tackle and position himself well defensively. I know YouTube clips can de flattering but he looks useful to me.

The concern I have with the younger players like Armstrong , Sterry and the like is that they are not going to get a decent run of games with Rafa’s rotational policy to fully establish themselves in the team and gain enough confidence to fully express themselves.

• 82 2_goal_tino // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:56 PM

@Jay – Yeah, from what i’ve heard he’s on about 30k/week with us and West Ham and Villa offered him 40k/week. But there are differing opinions of what happened next. Some believe what you say – that his agent tried to get him out of the deal and reignite W. Ham’s interest while a lot of others say Newcastle tried to sell him W. Ham a week after signing him. Given our club’s owner, I certainly wouldn’t put it past them.

Either way – whether he pushed through the deal to come to us or not – I have little doubt that he is one of the players who most cares about us as a club. I’d put Dummett, Krul, Elliot and Lascelles alongside him as players with a genuine passion for the club.

• 83 bettyswallocks // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Jib…… You should be at the Press Conference as the blog’s media correspondent.

• 84 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:57 PM

YCMIU
    It’s my opinion that if I go to a game, I get a great idea of how good a player is. If I watch on TV not so nearly as much. If I read the newspaper or blogs, I get a great idea of other people’s opinion of how good a player is. That’s just logical.

I’m not saying my opinion is right or wrong. But I might convert people to my way of thinking over time. They might start seeing what I’m pointing out. If they don’t now ( and the majority don’t on Mitro, Janmaat, Perez, Aarons and probably a few more), they might one day soon.

• 85 mad-serb // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:58 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

We all have our opinions about players and we will never all agree on how we see things, that just normal hell what would we the point of this blog then. Would be so boring and we would have hardly any conversations on here 🙂

But how I see it is that we have some talented young players that can be really good top players in couple of years time.

The like of Perez, Mbemba, Mitro, Sterry the list goes on. The difference between our young stars and the up in coming stars at bigger teams is that they are devolped slowly and are not thrown into the deep end like with us.

You look at the Henry, Ronaldo, Rooney even Smalling to name a few. I am not say our players are at that level I am just using them as examples as they are the easiest to use and known to all.

They were slowly eased into the teams and when they had a bad game they were replaced or they were started on the bench and gets 20 or so. But when you looked at them you could see there was something about them and people were willing to be patient with them. They also had senior players to learn from and take the burdon of them having to make the difference in games.

With us our young players are thrown in the deep end and have to swim from the beginning with no fault of there own. look at last year a guy like Mitro should never be your first choice Striker, but what other option was there. Our senior strikers could not score a goal in Riviera case and Cisse had one knee and was more on the physio table than on the football pitch.

So when Perez and Mito did get us the goals is it really there fault. They are both 21 year old same for Mbemba, he was good at points but had a few bad games but who was there to replace him and take the pressure of him.

The Board did not have the players we required. But why I believe and other believe in the players is axactly those climpses of the players they could be last season. Mitro having Smalling in his pocket against united. Perez against Tottenham comes to mind, There were these few games in our dire season where we saw the potential and tat why we are giving them the patient required.
    The same we will see still from them his season. Hopefully more good games bad ones, but they are still young and will have bad games. They need to learn to do it more regularly that the challenge and at the end of the season we will have players that has improved like we hoped. If not then Rafa will decide if its time to move on or if he believes they will still make it in a year or 2 to come. that’s the beauty of young players they will make you want to pull your hair out the one day and the next sing their names.

• 86 Ron Knee // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Jeff@79

It reminds me of David Niven’s fridge – the old Monty Python sketch.

• 87 lochinvar // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:03 PM

These lads rumoured to be on our radar ( newsnnow) …any good …?

Slaven Bilic has confirmed this morning that one of Reece Burke or Reece Oxford will leave the club on loan before next Wednesday’s transfer deadline.
    Burke started for West Ham last night in the 1-0 home defeat to Astra Giurgiu in the Europa League play-off and was impressive playing in an unnatural position of left-back, showcasing his strong versatility and what he offers the squad.
    Oxford meanwhile made the bench but had started all three of the club;s previous Europa League games before last night at centre-back but can operate in midfield.

• 88 Jib // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:04 PM

Betty
    Maybe I am
    😎

• 89 Jib // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Manchester reminded DeGea’s girlfriend of the back of her fridge.

• 90 WWSBRD // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:07 PM

YCMIU
    Likely so but De Gea showed more than Sels has so far, he was a good shot stopper at least whereas Sels…

• 91 SPRINGY // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Mad serb
    Cheers for getting back to me about that player before…only just read it as i was busy before…..cheers.

• 92 Ron Knee // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:09 PM

Fancy that:

Thierry Henry: Former France striker named as an assistant manager of Belgium

• 93 jayphoto // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:12 PM

@wwsbrd i mean in De geas first season before he’d got to grips with the league and people had written him off.
    Sels positioning, shot stopping style, handling etc are quite similar in style to De Gea. Obviously hes nowhere near the level of de gea tho. Takes european keepers a while to get to grips with the physicality but Sels really excelled in the champions league last year. For me the difference between Sels and Darlow is that Sels could develop into a decent top 10 premier league goalkeeper around the level of a mignolet (not world class, just very good), szeczny, begovic etc , his reactions are fast and his postioning is good, he needs to work on decisions and command but that can come but i can’t see Darlow ever being better than a very solid second choice, hes the opposite in the sense his reading of the game is actually quite good but i find his positioning always a yard or 2 away from where it should be and his reactions are slightly slower than a premier level keeper. Id say the same was true of Harper too in his time

• 94 Novocastrian66 // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:14 PM

De Gea couldn’t save anything from outside the box when he first darkened our shores.

• 95 magscar // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:15 PM

Blackas

I know what you mean as a long time season ticket holder and before that in the Leazes you do make immediate judgements. I have tried however to counsel myself not to ( and mates as well – Bellamy was written off by a couple on his first home game) as rifts impressions can be wrong. Each to their own though.

Oh working the other way I ridiculously thought Boumsong played well in friendly for Rangers against Shearer – how wrong was I 🙂

Nutmeg

Yes that was him and i had forgot we were later blessed with him – must be my subconscious trying to keep me from grief – he was one of many through late seventies/ eighties

• 96 jayphoto // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Throwing it in aswell because I haven’t mentioned him, elliot is a shocker of a keeper! Occasionally makes worldclass saves because hes very brave and throws himself into things and occasionally dives on guess work but his GK basics, handling, shotstopping, positioning aren’t top level. Great at short distance stopping but nowt else

• 97 magscar // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:17 PM

rifts = first , don’t always catch auto corrects

• 98 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:19 PM

YCMIU

This is interesting from TOF. What do you make of it?

The overrated Frenchman // Aug 26, 2016 at 12:00 PM

• 99 Ron Knee // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:19 PM

Rafa on transfers: “We still have time, names and targets. We are trying to do business. It also depends on agents and prices.” #nufc

• 100 Wayayman // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:19 PM

Anyone who rates Dummett defensively must’ve forgotten about the Fulham game. That’s just one very recent example, he’s not great either defending or going forward.
    Re Gamez playing on the left when he’s a right-footer; Wasnt it him who put in that cross on a plate (with his left foot) for Anita who somehow headed it of the line on Tuesday night?

• 101 Jail for Ashley // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:21 PM

Dummet shummet,
    He is not as bad as people make out but I would love it, just love it if we had someone good enough so that he could be the ideal substitute.

• 102 Jail for Ashley // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:23 PM

Blackas,
    Not looking like I’m going to make the game tomorrow

• 103 hibbitt // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:24 PM

wayayman
    might not be great but at the moment he’s the best we’ve got
    till we get a new LB he has to play

• 104 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:24 PM

Don’t beat yourself up about tripping over the sofa. We took delivery of a large parcel that has stood in the hallway for days. When the lights aren’t on, I keep setting my neck on it. Can never seem to remember it’s there.

• 105 Tsunki // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Hmm. I thought Gamez had a tidy game, very assured as he should have been against the opposition on the night. He had a look of quality, considering this was his first run out got a while. Similarly Diame was behind the pace a bit, sometimes got caught in possession but as the game wore on began to find his feet and pulled off some nice moves and good intelligent passing. He tired toward the end of course.

They may both turn out to be lacklustre signings but taking their maiden performances for us as an indicator of their long term value seems a bit harsh.

• 106 WWSBRD // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:26 PM

jay
    I will bow to ur knowledge of Sels but I’ve seen nothing to say he should be newcastles number 1 so far like, am not righting him off but am certainly not impressed by him

Though u said Elliott is sh*t so we don’t see keepers that differently haha

• 107 magscar // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Jay

Not a bad call on Sels I have a Blackas feeling about him 🙂 but am prepared to wait.

Rafa has to perhaps stick this one out and let him settle, replacing him with Darlow might be a short term fix but jeopardise Sels acclimatisation. His call thankfully.

Not only De Gea took time but also Van De Sar (even coming from Fulham) if memory serves.

Not saying he will be as classy but even the alleged greats can take time.

Off out now for day.

• 108 Jib // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:29 PM

• 109 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:29 PM

Mad Serb
    To sum up your post, you appear to be saying, “right players, wrong time”. I’d just like to add ” wrong club” and to wish them all the best.

• 110 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:32 PM

“I have a Blackas feeling about him (Sels)…” Hahaha. So do I BTW.

• 111 mad-serb // Aug 26, 2016 at 1:43 PM

Blackley and Brownlie

What I am saying overall is give them some time and let’s see how they progress this season.

Atleast with rafa rotation policy, recruitment done and recruitment to come that they will not have the full responsibility on their shoulder like last year where there was no other option than to play them regardless if they were struggling or not.

• 112 NUFCPaul // Aug 26, 2016 at 3:22 PM

I see Brighton have signed Duffy from Blackburn. If he plays tomorrow he might stick a goal (or two) into his own net for us. He’s been on a bit of a streak lately.

previous post: Three Positions Rafa Must Still Strengthen In August