The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Win 2-0 – Two New Arrivals – Thing Are Looking Up

8:28 pm, Saturday, August 27th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 29 Comments

We were hoping for a win this afternoon, so we could go into the two week International break on a positive note – for a change.

And the lads put in another competent and confident showing to beat Brighton rather easily 2-0 and there were good performance all over the pitch today.

That £2.5M buy Isaac Hayden had an excellent game as did £4.5M Mohamed Diame – some of these signings are going to turn out to be terrific acquisitions by Rafa Benitez.

Yoan Gouffran had a great first half and hit the bar after 24 minutes after Jamaal Lascelles had headed home from a Matt Ritchie cross after 15 minutes to settle the nerves a bit and put the lads ahead.

achraf lazaar 87

Achraf Lazaar at St. James’ Park tonight

Jonjo Shelvey completed the scoring with a Hollywood drive (that was right on target) direct from a  free kick after 63 minutes.

So we have won four in a row and we move up to fourth p[ace in the league, with the top two being Huddersfield Town and Fulham, who beat us in those first two games – they could be two surprise teams this season.

Norwich were beaten 3-0 at Birmingham and Aston Villa went down 3-1 at Bristol City who we managed to beat 1-0 last Saturday.

Palermo’s left-back Achraf Lazaar was at the game today and he will join us after he underwent a medical today – so he will be the left-back who will challenge Paul Dummett for a starting berth this season.

His fee is a reasonable £3M because he is in the last year of his contract at Palermo.

daryl murphy

Daryl Murphy – joining from Ipswich Town

And Ipswich Town striker Daryl Murphy will be coming in for a medical after the two clubs agreed a fee earlier today.

There were rumors in the last day or two Newcastle were after him so those news reports turned out to be accurate.

he seems a strange singing but Rafa knows what he wants and how he will use him, so we’re sure that Daryl can do a job for us.

He must be delighted to join Newcastle United late in his career – it’s a great move for the big Irishman.

Ipswich Town manager revealed the news today:

“It’s a really good move for him in his career, at his age, and it’s good for us.” “I told the lads ‘come on, let’s get the elephant out of the room – Murphy’s going to Newcastle, let’s get on it’.”

“He asked for the transfer and we’ve agreed it.”  “I think it’s one of those deals that if we didn’t let him go I don’t know how much we’d get out of him for a few weeks, and I get that.”

“I’ve got no animosity towards him. I understand why he wants to move because it’s Newcastle, and I said to him if somebody asked me I’d be sorely tempted and all.”

So after winning four on the trot we should see the announcement of those two players tomorrow and there’s also news that Chelsea’s 24 year-old Ghanaian International winger Christian Atsu could be arriving soon on loan.

Things are starting to look rosy in the Newcastle garden.

It’s about time.

we believe

Howay The Lads!!!

Tags: Championship · Financials · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

29 responses so far ↓

• 1 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:31 PM

These 2 and a quality left-footed LW and I think we’re done. Maybe another cheap/loan winger.

• 2 manxpie // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:33 PM

but he obviously got some stick for it due to the celebration lol
    i wonder if anyone is brave enough to chop it off?

this squad we are building looks really good to me
    all young (except the experienced)and all adding something
    plus actually building a squad of 2 for each position
    if only this lightbulb moment happened years ago!

• 3 Yo-yo // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:33 PM

I’m still wondering why Murphy ?
    He’s a 1 in 4 level striker, though has had a 27 goal season too – sort of levelling up the barren spells. Wonder what Rafa sees in him ?

• 4 ZIPPIE57 // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Murphy a battering ram away from home with Mitrovic

• 5 manxpie // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:35 PM

love mccarthy tbh he at least says it how it is

• 6 Legolas // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Yo-yo, just about to say that. What will Murphy bring? Can’t see the reason in this but in Rafa I trust. I think. Ha ha.

• 7 lordy_geordie // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Veltman:
    No we can’t say things have turned around.
    Can we say there was even a problem?
    New season, new players, pretty new gaffa. Couple of losses to be expected if you ask me

• 8 Belfast // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:38 PM

Yep usually decent at holding it up from what I’ve seen.

It’s got Siberski all over it I Tells ya !

• 9 WWSBRD // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:39 PM

manx
    Really? Oh god, this is what happens when we let the squads hairdresser go I suppose

• 10 manxpie // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:39 PM

yoyo ya forgetting his assists aswell he has 2 this season
    last season 10g 5 ass in just over 30 games so that brings his involvement in goals to closer to 1 in 2
    the season before goals plus assists to over 30 in a season not bad for me

• 11 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:39 PM

Lazaar could easily be moved into lm. Very capable.

• 12 mattyNUFC // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:39 PM

anyone asking ‘why Murphy’ just needs to watch/rewatch today’s match

i don’t know what it is with Perez but beyond finishing, he’s woeful. the game finally evened up at 10v10 when Baldock was sent off, such was Ayoze’s impact

MOM for me was a tale of two halves…Diame ran the show in the first, Shelvy showed the industry we needed in the second. everyone played well today. even Dummet

• 13 WWSBRD // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Tbf Rafa wanted an experience senior striker who would be happy to play a back up role, sounds like what he’s getting in Murphy

• 14 firebug666 // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:41 PM

Murphy will be a great player to bring on for tired strikers, good cover for injuries and suspensions, an impact sub who knows where the goal is. This is a good bit of business as he will score goals as he has done in this league.

• 15 manxpie // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:41 PM

yep ww its the new craze unfortunatley and bigi will be missed at least in one way

• 16 mattyNUFC // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:42 PM

i think my favorite player this season has to be Ritchie though thus far

apart from one errant pass i saw, it’s like he does everything right. so refreshing to have a winger with such forward momentum at all times. match that with his work-rate and we’ve got the perfect winger for years to come

• 17 WWSBRD // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:42 PM

YoungMag
    I swear if we finally sign a real LB and people start hoping he is coming in as a LW am going to lose my brown stuff

• 18 manxpie // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:42 PM

off topic but arsenals away kit is terrible!

• 19 Lindisfarne // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Great result, clean sheet and the midfield controlled the game with the help of Diame. Plus confident defending by the back line with Hayden adding a little steel and an improving goal keeper.

Whats not to like?!!

• 20 WWSBRD // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:45 PM

manx
    Hope Shelvey take the clippers to them all next away game

Ah Bigi I will have fond memories of him forever I think

• 21 manxpie // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:46 PM

matty perez was in an impossible job and for me did it brilliantly he ran all game all over the pitch against some of the biggest players in the league
    for me he did a great job which was needed

• 22 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:48 PM

I just feel like that’s what Rafa is going to do with him. He can play lm. He has played there before.

• 23 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Knockaert got #Dummetted.

• 24 WWSBRD // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:49 PM

YoungMag
    We don’t have a LB, we buy a LB and u think we will play him on the wing? Howay

• 25 Jib // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:50 PM

Crystal Palace and Sunlun in the bottom 5 – who are all on 1 point in the PL.

The All-blacks give the Wallabies another good slapping.

The Toon in the top 4 of the Championship.

What a great Saturday !!!!!

• 26 manxpie // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:51 PM

yeah shelvey messed up my bandages and girly tuft luck charm i mentioned but i suppose baldies can be added now

so happy for shelvey tho as last season he wasn’t put in the position he should have been and i do actually see class in him but he really is a confidence player if ever there was one so hopefully that will boost him

• 27 Graeme // Aug 27, 2016 at 8:51 PM

That was probably one of the best performances seen at SJP in 3 – 4 years. We looked more than capable, very composed and we played as a team. We even knocked it about for what seemed like 5 minute without them ever touching the ball.
    Anita – Un-Pardewed
    Goufran – Un-Pardewed
    Summer – Un-Pardewed

What a brilliant afternoon.

• 28 U.S Magpie // Aug 27, 2016 at 9:29 PM

I actually like the Murphy signing, he is a good target man being 6ft 3 and I honestly feel unlike Ipswich we have better people within our squad that can deliver some descent crosses. He also has knowledge of the teams we are playing and there strengths. I think Rafa has done this for that basis also, knowledge Rafa does not have in this league. Now being honest, I have my fingers crossed that this is going to work, so no one can remind me of this thread. lol

• 29 NoahJ // Aug 27, 2016 at 9:51 PM

A few people saying Sels was excellent today. I disagree; apart from his incredible save at the end, he looked hesitant, flapped at balls, and needed dressing down by lascelles a number of times.

praying that Eliot will walk back in to the number one slot when he is fit.

(otherwise, we look extremely good defensively)

re: Murphy. not the marquee signing, but he’s the experience our strikers have lacked. The four we have + Arma on loan are exciting

previous post: Who Was Newcastle’s Best Player In 2-0 Win Over Brighton?

next post: Newcastle 2 Brighton 0 – Video Highlights