The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

17th Player This Summer To Leave Newcastle Imminently

10:07 pm, Sunday, August 28th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 22 Comments

Newcastle’s Ivory Coast midfielder Cheick Tiote has flown to Turkey to tie up a deal to move to Galatasaray early this coming week and the fee is small – reported to be about 1.5M for the 52 times capped International central midfielder, who is in the final year of his contract on Tyneside.

The Mail had reported a few days ago that two Premier league clubs – Hull City and Burnley were interested in signing the player, but it seems the Turkish giants have beaten both English clubs to the player, although the Chronicle is reporting Cheick does have more than one offer on the table – but we suppose this is the best one for him.

rafa benitez cheick tiote

Rafa Benitez with Cheick Tiote last season

Reports in football-mad Turkey that Cheick is coming to Turkey from Newcastle.

Cheick almost left the club last January with a move to either one of two Chinese Super League clubs – Shanghai Shenhua or Beijing Guoan – but neither move went through.

Cheick played well for Rafa Benitez when Rafa joined Newcastle in March.

But the Spanish manager has since brought in some central midfield players this summer and now Cheick is surplus to requirements – and if he does move this coming week it will take his high wages of around £50K/week off Newcastle’s wage bill.

Tiote signed for us for just £3.5M from FC Twente back in the summer of 2010.

He ended up playing 153 games for Newcastle with one memorable goal against Arsenal at home in February 2011, in that famous come from behind 4-4 draw with Arsenal.

If Cheick leave he will be the 17th senior player to leave Newcastle this summer and so far we have brought 11 new players into the completely transformed Newcastle squad and just won four games in a row.

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Financials · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

22 responses so far ↓

• 1 ShirebrookToon // Aug 28, 2016 at 10:09 PM

• 2 Lindisfarne // Aug 28, 2016 at 10:14 PM

And even more that get left back in the changing room.

• 3 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 28, 2016 at 10:15 PM

Finally, another part-timer that has wanted to leave for at least 2 years and has been happy to pick up his wage for little in return, is shifted on.

Will never have to see him unnecessarily twisting and turning, holding it way too long to try and prove his strength, only to be dispossessed or give it away in a dangerous area. No more needless freekicks (though we have Colback for that), no more 30+ yard shots that invariably go over the bar. No more. since he played alongside Cabaye, thinking he can ping a crossfield ball 50 yards.

• 4 Hail Wor Ashley // Aug 28, 2016 at 10:16 PM

1 or 2 wingers and we’re done.

Sissoko will be getting very twitchy now too, I’m sure. 3 days to get his big money move.

• 5 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 10:19 PM

See ya Tiote I’ve loved ya I’ve hated ya I’ve even on occasion forgotten ya but all the best

I will remember u for ur two wonder goals u mad bugger u

• 6 JP...from The Rock // Aug 28, 2016 at 10:20 PM

Bye Tiote thanks for the memories. Tbf he had a couple of goals chalked off for no reason one I remember was against Man City. Anyway great player on his day but getting on now with age and we can get those high wages off our bill.

Now we need a winger and a central attacking midfielder.

• 7 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 10:21 PM

Haha. Until I see Rafa play him as a winger consistently then am gonna think we’ve signed a LB

• 8 manxpie // Aug 28, 2016 at 10:27 PM

aye been a decent servant should have left a year or so ago and stuck to what he does best instead of trying to fill cabeye role
    plus achraf lazaar is pronounced arch..ratch huuzaaaaah
    just to help you out

• 9 Spoof // Aug 28, 2016 at 10:31 PM

don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that he isn’t a FB, I honestly don’t know as I haven’t seen him play, all I was saying is that due to still having Haidara on the books that it is a possibility that he has been bought as a winger who could cover at LB, if he has then fine, I don’t see a problem with that seeing as we do need a winger, if you were looking at Supermacs record at the age of 20 and it was suggested that he has been bought as a striker then I’m afraid the men in white coat’s would be calling to take you away as he was clearly a LB at that age, as has been mentioned Bale also started as a LB but he is hardly that now, players can and do change and for the better, this lad is 24 year old and his best seasons have been the past two where he has been a winger more than a FB, but that means very little, lets see where he does play.

• 10 jimmysmith // Aug 28, 2016 at 10:35 PM

That’s some attack minded Championship side. Perhaps not one for a cold wet windy winters Tuesday night in Huddersfield, but at home, roared on by 50000 stomping, thundering Geordies, its a wonderful proposition.

Well done Rafa and Lee Charnley.

• 11 Graeme // Aug 28, 2016 at 10:38 PM

This gives a good indication of how Rafa’s 11 could line up if needed

• 12 Spoof // Aug 28, 2016 at 10:41 PM

maive us a chance to nxpie

nail on the head with Tiote, with Cabaye he was great, without Cabaye he tried to do his job and Cabaye’s as well, Tiote trying to play football is like a fish out of water, but I judge him on his ability to stop opponents and give us a chance to dominate a game and for me Tiote was top draw for that.

Attacking players are easier to adore as it is easier to see and recognise what they do for the team, at times fancy dan’s who do naff all but are loved whereas the bread and butter players who are the most important players such as Tiote and Dummett are often overlooked and at times viewed as weaknesses, but these are the type of players which I love to have in our team, and Rafa is filling our squad with grafters who will do a job for us whilst getting rid of the fancy dan’s, I couldn’t be happier.

• 13 JP...from The Rock // Aug 28, 2016 at 10:48 PM

When Rafa comments on Lazaar he mentions that the player “will provide great width” indicating more or less that he will play on the wing. Either way I think he will be effective in either role he plays LW or LB.

• 14 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 10:49 PM

Haidaras on the books but we need him on the pitch mate

My issue here is the club needs a LB the club signs a LB people want to play him on the wing? Maybe u will answer me, how often has Galloway played LW?

• 15 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 10:50 PM

That’s a stretch haha

• 16 manxpie // Aug 28, 2016 at 10:52 PM

ww galloway has played more at CB than LB

• 17 manxpie // Aug 28, 2016 at 10:53 PM

only messing 31 at LB 17 at CB

• 18 jimmysmith // Aug 28, 2016 at 10:57 PM

He’s got quite a few players who can cover different positions effectively, and so can essentially work with a core of around 22 players who will be well drilled in their match day role as a result, while still having the depth to seamlessly cover injuries and suspensions. That has never been the case for us before under Ashley, as far as I can remember.

• 19 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:01 PM

Cheeky mare unlikely he’d on play LW their her way though

• 20 Spoof // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:01 PM

Galloway is at WBA so I don’t understand why you have asked that question, with Lazaar, obviously he is adaptable as he has played winger and fullback in equal measures, has he been bought as a winger or a FB, well you’ll have to ask Rafa that but I expect it is a bit of both but if we have all our players fit and available then due to having Haidara and having Yedlin who is very attack minded then for team balance I could see a case for Lazaar being bought as a winger.

Having said that if I was asked and put on the spot what position is Lazaar, I would say LB, but what do I know.

• 21 Sir Erec // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:17 PM

Well in his interview Lazaar said he’s a left back but he’ll play wherever the manager wants. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see him playing on the wing as well at some point

• 22 Sav // Aug 29, 2016 at 9:06 AM

Cheick’s partnership with Cabaye was, on occasion, unbeatable and one of the better pairings we’ve seen on Tyneside. Vaya con dios, Mr.T.

previous post: Newcastle Announce 11th Signing – Now Signed A Full Team