The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Gini Wijnaldum Speaks Highly Of Newcastle United

1:08 pm, Sunday, August 28th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 100 Comments

Former Newcastle midfielder Gini Wijnaldum has been talking to Voetbal International in an exclusive interview today and he has said he does not regret signing for Newcastle last summer.

He points out that Newcastle United are a massive club in England and that isn’t really appreciated in Holland.

Gini went to Liverpool last month for £25M, after he told Rafa Benitez he wanted to leave the Tyneside club.

Georginio-Wijnaldum-691700

Gini Wijnaldum during pre-season

We paid about £14M for him last summer from PSV so it was a good deal for the club.

This is what Gini said:

“Last year lots of clubs wanted to sign me.”

“But I didn’t want to go to Italy, France or Germany — the Premier League was my aim. Everton were interested in me and I had a good feeling about them until I went to look at Newcastle.”

“People in Holland don’t realise what a gigantic club they are.”  “And after a talk with Steve McClaren I was on board.”

“The club’s plans looked promising but, in practice, few of them came to fruition.”

“I have never lost as many matches in a season and in the end we went down.”

“But I stand behind my decision 100%.”  “I went with my feelings and I can look back on a good season.”

“I can have no complaints about the good fortune I have had in my career.”

Of all the players we have lost this summer Gini is the one – along with Andros Townsend – that we most wanted to keep.

He didn’t play well for long stretches last season – that’s true – but he would be great playing in a good team – and we think Rafa will build a top team at Newcastle in a year or two.

Although Gini wanted to leave Newcastle he handled himself very well and very professionally all summer and continues to talk highly of the club.

That’s good – although we wish he had committed to Newcastle and stayed with the club.

Tags: Georginio Wijnaldum · Interview · Other News · Transfer News and Rumours

100 responses so far ↓

• 1 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 28, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Sky Sports have confirmed that Achraf Lazaar is now a Newcastle United player, with official announcement to follow shortly.

– See more at: http://www.themag.co.uk/2016/08/achraf-lazaar-completes-move-newcastle-united-sky-sports/?#sthash.24JMR8gs.dpuf

• 2 Ron Knee // Aug 28, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Percy and Moussa – a match made in heaven.

• 3 mindshaft // Aug 28, 2016 at 1:15 PM

Not sure Gini would be much kop in the championship – prem league player on his day and despite what people say on here is doing well at scousers
    Both he and Janmaat handled thier transfers well, kept mouths shut and thanked the club and fans once sold – if only Sissoko could learn that lesson , he’s an utter tw-t

• 4 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Happily forget about Gini ever was at Newcastle

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Aug 28, 2016 at 1:24 PM

BandB,
    Aye, Seats are top notch, maybe not the right place for a five year old bairn though 😮

• 6 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Lazaar done Atsu next…another winger and either Sissoko or a replacement brought in

I’d be happy with that

• 7 OneAlanShearer // Aug 28, 2016 at 1:31 PM

Thoroughly nice bloke who did well most of thd time but his ability to completely disappear in away games was astounding. He seems to have taken it with him to Liverpool. I wish him all the best but he needs to find his best position and mame it his own. Right now he’s a luxury passenger player who doesnt fit anywhere.

• 8 Oldgit1 // Aug 28, 2016 at 1:37 PM

Acuna / shearer when playing for England went on a long run without scoring, international matches mean nothing. What I’m saying is for this level Murphy is the type of player we need either for leading the line or brought on as a sub to hold the ball up which we haven’t had for a many of a year. Give the guy a chance.

• 9 PK-Norway // Aug 28, 2016 at 1:37 PM

Sels/darlow
    Yedlin- mbemba- lacselles-lazaar

Shelvey-Hayden

Looking forward to a bright future if they keep developing under Rafa.

• 10 expatmag // Aug 28, 2016 at 1:38 PM

WWSBRD @4

I dont think it will be long before Liverpool supportrs wish he was back with us

• 11 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 1:44 PM

expat
    Wouldn’t surprise me, I’ve got a mate who is mad on Liverpool hes already starting to say he barely noticed him playing

Honestly though I’ve wasted enough time talking about Gini, happily never ear him speak about us again

• 12 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 28, 2016 at 1:47 PM

Jail
    I thought you were a doubt for the game? Where did you sit?

• 13 nut meg // Aug 28, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Watched Gini yesterday against spurs,first half missing in action, second half a little better but not involved enough for me.

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Aug 28, 2016 at 1:51 PM

Blackas,
    Got in to Newcastle at half four. Got two ST’s for me and the bairn in the Gallowgate East corner.

• 15 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 28, 2016 at 1:57 PM

People writing old Murphy off. Anyone remember Frank Clark at Nottingham Forest after leaving Newcastle in his early 30s? Only went on to win the European Cup.

• 16 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Good comments from gini, I have Liverpool mates who actually like him in the role he’s playing as a DM. I thought they were having a laugh but then attended the game yesterday as we do some work for a die hard spurs fan. He had a very good game playing centrally, he won’t get as many goals as he got for us because his role is much deeper but he’s actually pressing with the entire team, I see pundits sang his praises for work ethic etc, and Liverpool fans I spoke to after the game on the underground said he’s a massive upgrade on Lucas and Emre Can.

Think a lot here want him to be failure, and if he was the invisible man then Klopp wouldn’t select him to play against spurs

• 17 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Think Murphy will bring experience and more importantly a target man who can run channels, decent squad player for championship. Hopefully bring in the LB and Atsu

• 18 Jib // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Ferenc Puskas first played for Real Madrid at the age of 32.

Eight years later at the age of forty .

He’d won 5 League titles 3 European cups and scored 156 goals in 180 matches !

• 19 expatmag // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Looking at our squad now, interesting to see the make up and numbers

Sold……Townsend Cabella Wijnaldum Janmaat Cisse Bigi

Released….Colo Taylor Marveaux Obertan

Loaned out…..Krul Rhauvin Saviet Mbanu Dejong

Not required…..Ameobi Vukic

Possible Sales….Sissoko Tiote Riviere

By my reckoning, that is/will be 20 players gone or going. If Armstrong is loaned out, make that 21.

Our current squad then:

Keepers: Sels Elliott Darlow Woodman

Defenders: Yedlin Sterry Lascelles Mbemba Clark Hanley Good Dummett Haidara Lazaars

Midfielders: Anita Hayden Colback Shelvey Ritchie Aarons Diame Hayden

Forwards: Mitrovic Gayle Murphy Perez Armstrong

Not sure if I have missed anyone out.

• 20 expatmag // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Cancel out one of the Haydens in midfield….lol

• 21 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Our Toon
    I couldn’t care less what he does for Liverpool he was the invisible man for us. I don’t want him to fail I don’t want anything for him tbh

As I said I will happily forget he ever played for us

• 22 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:17 PM

Jib

Puskas and Murphy massive difference in abilities mate, don’t use one of footballs greatest to make any comparisons with Murphy, at 32 Puskas still had more ability than anyone in our current squad.

• 23 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:17 PM

expat
    Aww can we not have two of him? Just need a couple of wingers in that squad (and a Sissoko replacement ideally)

• 24 bettyswallocks // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:19 PM

BandB……… Ashley owns our club and will do for the foreseeable future. He has indeed made many foolish, selfish decisions that have caused much grief amongst fans.

Something had to change or we were spiralling into oblivion maybe never to return. With Rafa’s appointment I hope we are at last moving in the right direction. I am neither an Ashley lover nor an Ashley hater and I am not seeking redemption for him. I couldn’t care less about Ashley

Rafa has a plan, a budget to work with and a sincere intention to make us competetive again. Hopefully Ashley now realises that we needed a proven manager and it does appear that he’s taken a back seat. Rafa must be happy with the structure otherwise I’m sure he would let it be known. He’s definitely not a yes man or a money grabber.

Your insinuation that I am a capitalist sympathiser and that I can’t envisage a future without Ashley or a similar exploitative owner isn’t true. I just want us to have a good football team which I can’t envisage with a state or council owned team as you appear to be advocating.

I am convinced now that your motives for posting on here are as a hater of capitalism and all it stands for. You should get it together with Ruddy and enjoy your militant stance and hatred of Ashley as a way of life.

• 25 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:19 PM

…and I will be very happy

• 26 NUFCPaul // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:20 PM

Will Sissoko be as gracious when/if he eventually leaves? Of course not. That would require some kind of class and dignity. He tries to have this air of calmness but he’s one of the most unprofessional players I can remember us having. Still can’t decide if I’d be happier with getting a massive fee for him or cutting off our own nose to spite our face and making him stay.

• 27 Termijn // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:21 PM

Expat, missed Gouffran from that list, but we seem a little short on midfielders or more accurately wingers,

• 28 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:22 PM

Wwsbrd

Every player was the invisible man for us last season, do your Liverpool pals not ask you who wasn’t invisible for the toon last year?

I wish any former player well and good luck with careers and thank them for playing for the toon, whether they were good or bad. The only player I have ill feeling toward is sissoko and that’s for obvious reasons.

• 29 lesh // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Why are some folk writing off Murphy because he’s 33?

As other posters have pointed out, age shouldn’t be and hasn’t been a barrier to playing well.

It’s probably fair to say that most of the older ones have and continue to live a clean lifestyle with their focus being on fitness and professionalism. Could we be sure we’d get that with younger players?

As Rafa appears to but great store on players’ attitude and commitment, I’m confident that Murphy will add yet another option and dimension to our game.

I hope we hear those questioning the wisdom of his signing saying that their scepticism has been allayed by Murphy’s contribution to games.

• 30 neverwin // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:23 PM

I wish sissoko would show some backbone and put in a transfer request if he is so keen to go. Obviously does not want to lose money.

• 31 NUFCPaul // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:24 PM

Quick question because I can’t remember how this works in the Championship – do teams have to register 25 players over the age of 21 like they do in the Premier League? I’m guessing they do as having an unlimited squad of players seems unusual these days.

• 32 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:24 PM

Gouffran should play as a centre forward. He is a good target man. Surprisngly good in the air. Check the videos of him playing for Caen.

Also if we get Atsu and Knockeart, we’ll just need a playmaker. We need someone like Coutinho. Great player.

• 33 Toonfan8 // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:24 PM

If now we bring Knockaert, we will fly to the epl..we have quality but we need his kind of creativity,vision and skills..him and Ritchie will create a lot together…

• 34 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:26 PM

Watched the toon game on sky, gouffran looked very good, the lad has really surprised me and good on him for fighting to get back into the team.

The red card was key, the whole team seemed to play well including Sels who I’d heard a lot of concerning things about from fans on here, maybe he’s just starting to settle in. Good result though and more importantly 3 points with the whole 11 looking good

• 35 lesh // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:27 PM

NUFCPaul

I’m beginning to think that Sissoko’s being encouraged by interested clubs to work himself in the hope that Rafa’ll get so sick of it and drop his asking price. Who wins from that? Sissoko, his agent and the buying club.

• 36 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:29 PM

Toon fan

Knockaert looked good against us, intelligent passes, good crosses, quick feet, lad should have scored but was very impressive.

• 37 NUFCPaul // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:29 PM

neverwin – exactly, he wants to have his cake and eat it. Wants out AND wants the maximum amount of money he can get his hands on. He must be crapping himself behind closed doors. Makes me laugh thinking of him screaming at his uncle (or whatever relative it is who’s acting as his agent) to get him out.

• 38 Belfast // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:30 PM

Repost

I’m expecting a big interview from Sulky in the next 24-48 hours. One last big push for a move to a “big club”.

It won’t work and he’ll be heading to Croydon on Tuesday night for a medical and joining the not so glamorous Crystal Palace.

• 39 Belfast // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:31 PM

You heard it here first! 🙂

• 40 Toonfan8 // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:32 PM

Our toon
    I was also impressed by his play, great to watch he reminds me Hazard style. We should definately go for him, it will also hurt Brighton and will make us much stronger

• 41 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:35 PM

Our Toon
    Nope

Funny that because Sissoko has done more for NUFC than Gini did and acted the same in his first year

• 42 expatmag // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:35 PM

Belfast
    I reckon Everton with McCarthy coming to us and a cssh adjustment

• 43 NUFCPaul // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:35 PM

lesh – that’s assuming Rafa isn’t going to stand firm and is allowed to do so by Fat Mike. Part of me thinks Mike will not play ball and cave in, but another part of me wonders if the pound signs will turn his head on transfer deadline day instead of missing out on any kind of fee.

• 44 Belfast // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:36 PM

Doubt Brighton would sell him now like. Think that one needed to be done a few weeks ago if it was going to happen.

• 45 Belfast // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:39 PM

Don’t fancy McCarthy at all expat. Does nowt special. A better version of Colback basically.

• 46 BandB // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:39 PM

betty,

If I was trying to start a revolution, I think this blog would probably be the last place to start.

Brave New World’s have a rotten record on here.

A few weeks ago, after the slow start, Rafa was being carefully framed to take the rap on his own if things went tits up.

I said then things would look very different in a month, and they will.

I think we’ll just about get promoted, though I think we’ll go up with a bog-standard newly-promoted squad.

It’s then, and only then, that we’ll find out whether Rafa will be backed to lead us to the Promised Land or back to a cosy seat on the trapdoor.

• 47 expatmag // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:40 PM

Knockaert signed a new contract with them.

• 48 expatmag // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:41 PM

BELFAST

I know mate. Neither do I. I think we hace rnough defensive players anyway. We need a couple of wingers still.

• 49 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:42 PM

We still might get him. Just give them £12m. Will be great news if we keep Sissoko. Think he’ll go to PSG for £27m

• 50 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Wwsbrd

Gini acted the same as sissoko? I might have missed that one, can anyone else confirm this, I can’t remember any news articles from gini criticising the club or saying he wants to leave now to play in CL or at a bigger club.

Sissoko has been here longer than gini was but the difference is gini stayed slight to the media until he got his move and sissoko has been vocal and is yet to move, gini showed class and respect and sissoko shows nothing but contempt toward the club.

BTW if anyone was invisible in Black and white last season it was Janmaat, he was never in his position, you seemed to prefer that invisible man over Anita

• 51 expatmag // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:43 PM

BANDB

You should know by now tgat the najority on this forum ‘s knowledge of football management and coaching is about the same as the arse end of a camel

• 52 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:45 PM

Silent not slight

• 53 lesh // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:46 PM

NUFCPaul

Your doubts are well founded but will Ashley want to be seen as being bounced into selling Sulky? I think not and will want a face-saver if his price drops

• 54 welshgeordie9 // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:46 PM

According to some bookies we are favourites to West Broms Callum McManama.

This is from whoscored.com.

Callum McManaman Characteristics
    + Strengths
    Dribbling
    Very Strong
    Taking set-pieces
    Very Strong
    Finishing
    Strong
    Holding on to the ball
    Strong

– Weaknesses
    Passing
    Weak
    Crossing

So if he’s a winger and his main weaknesses is passing and crossing, why the frig would we want him.

• 55 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:47 PM

BandB

I agree with you, if we go up this squad will not be anywhere near good enough, will we pay big money for players…..I think at some point next season rafa will walk. Sorry for the doom and gloom assessment

• 56 welshgeordie9 // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:47 PM

I don’t think this one is true but you never know in football.

• 57 Sir Erec // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:49 PM

I hope we don’t get McManaman… That’s the guy that wrecked Haidara with a horrible challenge…

• 58 Termijn // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:51 PM

McManaman’s just a poor mans Gouffran 😉

• 59 welshgeordie9 // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:53 PM

if that’s the case he can sod off, was wondering if that was the player who took out Haidara.

• 60 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:54 PM

Our Toon
    In his first year I believe I said we will never know what Gini would of done had he stayed

Anyhow got family to spend time with enjoy the afternoon

• 61 ROSHAN MAGPIE // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:54 PM

• 62 expatmag // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:55 PM

OUR TOON

I think Rada realises the squad will need tweaking if we go up.

However, he probably already has irons in yhe fire and Ashley will know he will need to spend 100 millon pounds next summer on 5 or 6 key players.

So far, we are about even on our transfr dealings and with so many players leaving, there must gave been significant salary savings.

If we sell Sissoko Tiote and Riviere for aeound 30 million quid, spend 10 of that on a winger, the rest can go towads next years budget

• 63 toon kk // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:55 PM

Great win last night, it was great to see everyone putting a shift in and us working as a team.

• 64 SUTTY1978 // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:58 PM

Welsh, That’s the lad that snapped Haidara in two a couple of seasons back. I think that might cause a bit of squad disharmony!

• 65 welshgeordie9 // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:59 PM

Our Toon

This squad would be good enough in premier league next season if we go up, a long season in the championship with so many games and cups to play in, a full season where all the players get to know each and gel under Rafa, don’t think there will be a problem, these players want to play for him, get the players on his side they will do anything, so that yesterday.

• 66 BandB // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:01 PM

expat/Our Toon

Ashley’s remarkable statement near the end of last season seems to have been forgotten. He was basically admitting he hadn’t got a clue what he was doing.
    Right now he seems to be limiting his liabilities and doing a bit of profit taking until he sees where his last throw of the dice is taking us.
    Had McClaren still been here he might easily have declared himself happy with the squad a month ago.
    By any rational analysis this has been a purge window, which probably suits him and Rafa for different reasons.

• 67 welshgeordie9 // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:01 PM

I agree he would have to add but there wouldn’t be too much because we have got rid of some of the deadwood this season.

• 68 Termijn // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:02 PM

Welsh, good enough to be a top championship side, but only a bottom half/relegation battling prem side imo. The amount of money flying around that league is ridiculous even the bottom sides have class players.

• 69 BandB // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:04 PM

toon kk

I note that you have again given credit where credit is due. I’d post it again at least a couple of times if I were you.

• 70 toon kk // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:05 PM

Welsh
    Our current squad is a quality championship group, it would compete with the bottom six or so clubs in the premier league and no more.

• 71 welshgeordie9 // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:06 PM

Why are we being liked with this guy anyway, I thought we were after that Chelsea player.

• 72 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:09 PM

It’s a good job this blog is blessed with Expat’s knowledge of football management and coaching. Written by Blackley. Inspired by Expat.

• 73 toon kk // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:11 PM

BandB
    I will always give credit when it’s due, I do get called pessimistic. But at least I say it as it is. Not like many who don’t know the difference between optimistic and realistic.

• 74 expatmag // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:12 PM

BANDB

I think that has been obvious from virtually day one. It has flummoxed the majority of posters here on how such a successful businessman could get so many major decisions wrong in the vasic running of the club.

Thankfully, it would seem he finally realised he neded a true professional albeit too late to save us from relegation.

We gave been carrying too many prima donnas for TOO long now with little or no evidence of trying to rid ourselves of them.

Rafa has come in like a tornado and trimmed the playing staff, reduced wages and brought in determined replacements. A breath of fresh air.

• 75 expatmag // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:12 PM

Blackley

Would you like to see my qualificatons?

• 76 check the toastie // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:13 PM

Goes to show how fans expectations have dropped the gouffran love in..

we wont go up with him playing minutes, offers jack shit generally. woeful player, just like Dummett not good enough, needs replacing quickly.

• 77 Belfast // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:14 PM

You had this squad down for a relegation battle and you really feared for us a fortnight ago toonkk haha

Could you stick with the first prediction please ? Since we turned a corner after you made it.

League 1 here we come! 🙂

• 78 expatmag // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:17 PM

CHECK

Dummett and Gouffran were excellent yesterday and continual criticism of both shows a severe lack of undrstanding in their roles in the side.

• 79 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:18 PM

Expat
    A little bit of persuasive knowledge would suffice. But please cite your qualifications. You know you want to.

• 80 BandB // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:19 PM

expat,

That’s about it.
    You always have to wonder with this club whether the bus is going where it says it’s going. We kept on singing “we’re all going on a summer holiday” long after the snow started to fall. No harm in anyone checking off the way stations this time.

• 81 BandB // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:20 PM

And Audrey Two is into FEED ME! mode.

• 82 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:22 PM

Check

One thing you need in the championship is graft, thought gouffran was excellent in all aspects of his game yesterday. He’s a player that contributes in many ways and can play in many positions. Useful squad member and real option for championship.

• 83 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:23 PM

I don’t know how Expat’s CV compares to Makro’s or King Percy’s or even Graham Carr’s. The latter would have had us blow £25m plus on Berahino. I didn’t see Expat counselling against that at the time but I might have missed it.

• 84 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:24 PM

Brighton were getting back into the game yesterday especially in the 2nd half before the red card, think 11 v 11 we all might not have been as happy as we are today.

Still need creativity though as we are seriously lacking in this area

• 85 expatmag // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:26 PM

BANDB

Not wanting to brag but I have taken all my coaching badges over here which are FIFA authorised.

I am in my 60s now but after finishing playing and taking my courses, I got into coaching and have done so at a reasonably high level.

I am curently used by our football federation in assisting the training of prospective coaches in their qualifying.

• 86 Our Toon // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:26 PM

Blackley

What did you make of Sels performance yesterday? Do you think he’s starting to settle in?

• 87 expatmag // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:27 PM

BLACKLEY

You miss a lot of yhings. Stick to walking your dog.

• 88 BandB // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:29 PM

That’s lovely expat.
    But how are you with invasive and carnivorous alien plants with wide, gaping gobs?
    That seems to be your issue right now.

• 89 lordy_geordie // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:30 PM

Veltman:
    Im not sold on the Murphy signing. I think he is a good back up though.
    Better than leon best im sure

• 90 JP...from The Rock // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:30 PM

Still nothing official from Lazaar!??? Why in the hell do we sometimes take forever for an announcement? Is there a hiccup?..hope not.

• 91 Ron Knee // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:30 PM

“According to reports in Turkey, Cheick Tiote has today boarded a plane to Istanbul as he travels to complete a deal with Galatasaray.”

• 92 expatmag // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:32 PM

BANDB

Yes….point taken…..time to retreat to the sanctuary of my bed in this early hour before being drawn jnto yet another inane duscussion with the”gob”…….lol

• 93 cyprus // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:34 PM

A local NUFC fan told me the game was on bein. I had checked all channels except lucky 13. Grrr… Anyway, highlights were good.

• 94 bettyswallocks // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:35 PM

I was just wondering if there are any good football teams in North Korea?

• 95 Ron Knee // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:35 PM

JP

Skeleton service in the hospital today?

• 96 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:39 PM

Our Toon
    Sels hasn’t convinced me. He’s not looked commanding.

It’s early days though. You can only give your initial impression. You’ve got to give these lads a decent run before deciding whether they’re a “like” or “dislike”. Gayle, for example, has already changed my initial cautious, skeptical view of him and impressed me in a very short time.

Up to now Sels has just made me feel uneasy. Same with Gamez.

• 97 bettyswallocks // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:44 PM

Blackley…….. How would you feel about Jeremy Cotbyn as a left winger?

• 98 bettyswallocks // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:44 PM

Corbyn

• 99 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:50 PM

51expatmag // Aug 28, 2016 at 2:43 PM

BANDB

**********************************************
    Note for the majority. Expat has the Fifa authorised badges to back up that statement.

• 100 sing in the corner // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:51 PM

JfA
    Gallowgate East corner? Ha, that’s where I was too yesterday.
    And reading back match day posts I was surprised some said the crowd was quiet and needed to get more involved. It was pretty boisterous in our area and the central Gallowgate seemed to be lively as well.
    Voice is a bit croaky today! Had a tremendous time..
    Funniest / best chant for me was:
    ‘I don’t want…anybody else.
    When I think about you I touch Matt Sels!’ (Repeat..repeat..). 🙂

There was the odd Rick but for me the shape is improving and the players developing understanding of their roles each game..

previous post: All The Ins And Outs At Newcastle – Still In The Black