Gini Wijnaldum Speaks Highly Of Newcastle United

Former Newcastle midfielder Gini Wijnaldum has been talking to Voetbal International in an exclusive interview today and he has said he does not regret signing for Newcastle last summer.

He points out that Newcastle United are a massive club in England and that isn’t really appreciated in Holland.

Gini went to Liverpool last month for £25M, after he told Rafa Benitez he wanted to leave the Tyneside club.

Georginio-Wijnaldum-691700

Gini Wijnaldum during pre-season

We paid about £14M for him last summer from PSV so it was a good deal for the club.

This is what Gini said:

“Last year lots of clubs wanted to sign me.”

“But I didn’t want to go to Italy, France or Germany — the Premier League was my aim. Everton were interested in me and I had a good feeling about them until I went to look at Newcastle.”

“People in Holland don’t realise what a gigantic club they are.”  “And after a talk with Steve McClaren I was on board.”

“The club’s plans looked promising but, in practice, few of them came to fruition.”

“I have never lost as many matches in a season and in the end we went down.”

“But I stand behind my decision 100%.”  “I went with my feelings and I can look back on a good season.”

“I can have no complaints about the good fortune I have had in my career.”

Of all the players we have lost this summer Gini is the one – along with Andros Townsend – that we most wanted to keep.

He didn’t play well for long stretches last season – that’s true – but he would be great playing in a good team – and we think Rafa will build a top team at Newcastle in a year or two.

Although Gini wanted to leave Newcastle he handled himself very well and very professionally all summer and continues to talk highly of the club.

That’s good – although we wish he had committed to Newcastle and stayed with the club.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Sky Sports have confirmed that Achraf Lazaar is now a Newcastle United player, with official announcement to follow shortly.

– See more at: http://www.themag.co.uk/2016/08/achraf-lazaar-completes-move-newcastle-united-sky-sports/?#sthash.24JMR8gs.dpuf

• Ron Knee

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:11 PM

Percy and Moussa – a match made in heaven.

• mindshaft

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:15 PM

Not sure Gini would be much kop in the championship – prem league player on his day and despite what people say on here is doing well at scousers
    Both he and Janmaat handled thier transfers well, kept mouths shut and thanked the club and fans once sold – if only Sissoko could learn that lesson , he’s an utter tw-t

• WWSBRD

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Happily forget about Gini ever was at Newcastle

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:24 PM

BandB,
    Aye, Seats are top notch, maybe not the right place for a five year old bairn though 😮

• WWSBRD

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Lazaar done Atsu next…another winger and either Sissoko or a replacement brought in

I’d be happy with that

• OneAlanShearer

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:31 PM

Thoroughly nice bloke who did well most of thd time but his ability to completely disappear in away games was astounding. He seems to have taken it with him to Liverpool. I wish him all the best but he needs to find his best position and mame it his own. Right now he’s a luxury passenger player who doesnt fit anywhere.

• Oldgit1

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:37 PM

Acuna / shearer when playing for England went on a long run without scoring, international matches mean nothing. What I’m saying is for this level Murphy is the type of player we need either for leading the line or brought on as a sub to hold the ball up which we haven’t had for a many of a year. Give the guy a chance.

• PK-Norway

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:37 PM

Sels/darlow
    Yedlin- mbemba- lacselles-lazaar

Shelvey-Hayden

Looking forward to a bright future if they keep developing under Rafa.

• expatmag

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:38 PM

WWSBRD @4

I dont think it will be long before Liverpool supportrs wish he was back with us

• WWSBRD

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:44 PM

expat
    Wouldn’t surprise me, I’ve got a mate who is mad on Liverpool hes already starting to say he barely noticed him playing

Honestly though I’ve wasted enough time talking about Gini, happily never ear him speak about us again

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:47 PM

Jail
    I thought you were a doubt for the game? Where did you sit?

• nut meg

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Watched Gini yesterday against spurs,first half missing in action, second half a little better but not involved enough for me.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:51 PM

Blackas,
    Got in to Newcastle at half four. Got two ST’s for me and the bairn in the Gallowgate East corner.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:57 PM

People writing old Murphy off. Anyone remember Frank Clark at Nottingham Forest after leaving Newcastle in his early 30s? Only went on to win the European Cup.

• Our Toon

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Good comments from gini, I have Liverpool mates who actually like him in the role he’s playing as a DM. I thought they were having a laugh but then attended the game yesterday as we do some work for a die hard spurs fan. He had a very good game playing centrally, he won’t get as many goals as he got for us because his role is much deeper but he’s actually pressing with the entire team, I see pundits sang his praises for work ethic etc, and Liverpool fans I spoke to after the game on the underground said he’s a massive upgrade on Lucas and Emre Can.

Think a lot here want him to be failure, and if he was the invisible man then Klopp wouldn’t select him to play against spurs

• Our Toon

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Think Murphy will bring experience and more importantly a target man who can run channels, decent squad player for championship. Hopefully bring in the LB and Atsu

• Jib

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Ferenc Puskas first played for Real Madrid at the age of 32.

Eight years later at the age of forty .

He’d won 5 League titles 3 European cups and scored 156 goals in 180 matches !

• expatmag

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Looking at our squad now, interesting to see the make up and numbers

Sold……Townsend Cabella Wijnaldum Janmaat Cisse Bigi

Released….Colo Taylor Marveaux Obertan

Loaned out…..Krul Rhauvin Saviet Mbanu Dejong

Not required…..Ameobi Vukic

Possible Sales….Sissoko Tiote Riviere

By my reckoning, that is/will be 20 players gone or going. If Armstrong is loaned out, make that 21.

Our current squad then:

Keepers: Sels Elliott Darlow Woodman

Defenders: Yedlin Sterry Lascelles Mbemba Clark Hanley Good Dummett Haidara Lazaars

Midfielders: Anita Hayden Colback Shelvey Ritchie Aarons Diame Hayden

Forwards: Mitrovic Gayle Murphy Perez Armstrong

Not sure if I have missed anyone out.

• expatmag

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Cancel out one of the Haydens in midfield….lol

• WWSBRD

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Our Toon
    I couldn’t care less what he does for Liverpool he was the invisible man for us. I don’t want him to fail I don’t want anything for him tbh

As I said I will happily forget he ever played for us

• Our Toon

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:17 PM

Jib

Puskas and Murphy massive difference in abilities mate, don’t use one of footballs greatest to make any comparisons with Murphy, at 32 Puskas still had more ability than anyone in our current squad.

• WWSBRD

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:17 PM

expat
    Aww can we not have two of him? Just need a couple of wingers in that squad (and a Sissoko replacement ideally)

• bettyswallocks

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:19 PM

BandB……… Ashley owns our club and will do for the foreseeable future. He has indeed made many foolish, selfish decisions that have caused much grief amongst fans.

Something had to change or we were spiralling into oblivion maybe never to return. With Rafa’s appointment I hope we are at last moving in the right direction. I am neither an Ashley lover nor an Ashley hater and I am not seeking redemption for him. I couldn’t care less about Ashley

Rafa has a plan, a budget to work with and a sincere intention to make us competetive again. Hopefully Ashley now realises that we needed a proven manager and it does appear that he’s taken a back seat. Rafa must be happy with the structure otherwise I’m sure he would let it be known. He’s definitely not a yes man or a money grabber.

Your insinuation that I am a capitalist sympathiser and that I can’t envisage a future without Ashley or a similar exploitative owner isn’t true. I just want us to have a good football team which I can’t envisage with a state or council owned team as you appear to be advocating.

I am convinced now that your motives for posting on here are as a hater of capitalism and all it stands for. You should get it together with Ruddy and enjoy your militant stance and hatred of Ashley as a way of life.

• WWSBRD

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:19 PM

…and I will be very happy

• NUFCPaul

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:20 PM

Will Sissoko be as gracious when/if he eventually leaves? Of course not. That would require some kind of class and dignity. He tries to have this air of calmness but he’s one of the most unprofessional players I can remember us having. Still can’t decide if I’d be happier with getting a massive fee for him or cutting off our own nose to spite our face and making him stay.

• Termijn

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:21 PM

Expat, missed Gouffran from that list, but we seem a little short on midfielders or more accurately wingers,

• Our Toon

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:22 PM

Wwsbrd

Every player was the invisible man for us last season, do your Liverpool pals not ask you who wasn’t invisible for the toon last year?

I wish any former player well and good luck with careers and thank them for playing for the toon, whether they were good or bad. The only player I have ill feeling toward is sissoko and that’s for obvious reasons.

• lesh

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Why are some folk writing off Murphy because he’s 33?

As other posters have pointed out, age shouldn’t be and hasn’t been a barrier to playing well.

It’s probably fair to say that most of the older ones have and continue to live a clean lifestyle with their focus being on fitness and professionalism. Could we be sure we’d get that with younger players?

As Rafa appears to but great store on players’ attitude and commitment, I’m confident that Murphy will add yet another option and dimension to our game.

I hope we hear those questioning the wisdom of his signing saying that their scepticism has been allayed by Murphy’s contribution to games.

• neverwin

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:23 PM

I wish sissoko would show some backbone and put in a transfer request if he is so keen to go. Obviously does not want to lose money.

• NUFCPaul

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:24 PM

Quick question because I can’t remember how this works in the Championship – do teams have to register 25 players over the age of 21 like they do in the Premier League? I’m guessing they do as having an unlimited squad of players seems unusual these days.

• Ketsbaia9

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:24 PM

Gouffran should play as a centre forward. He is a good target man. Surprisngly good in the air. Check the videos of him playing for Caen.

Also if we get Atsu and Knockeart, we’ll just need a playmaker. We need someone like Coutinho. Great player.

• Toonfan8

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:24 PM

If now we bring Knockaert, we will fly to the epl..we have quality but we need his kind of creativity,vision and skills..him and Ritchie will create a lot together…

• Our Toon

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:26 PM

Watched the toon game on sky, gouffran looked very good, the lad has really surprised me and good on him for fighting to get back into the team.

The red card was key, the whole team seemed to play well including Sels who I’d heard a lot of concerning things about from fans on here, maybe he’s just starting to settle in. Good result though and more importantly 3 points with the whole 11 looking good

• lesh

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:27 PM

NUFCPaul

I’m beginning to think that Sissoko’s being encouraged by interested clubs to work himself in the hope that Rafa’ll get so sick of it and drop his asking price. Who wins from that? Sissoko, his agent and the buying club.

• Our Toon

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:29 PM

Toon fan

Knockaert looked good against us, intelligent passes, good crosses, quick feet, lad should have scored but was very impressive.

• NUFCPaul

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:29 PM

neverwin – exactly, he wants to have his cake and eat it. Wants out AND wants the maximum amount of money he can get his hands on. He must be crapping himself behind closed doors. Makes me laugh thinking of him screaming at his uncle (or whatever relative it is who’s acting as his agent) to get him out.

• Belfast

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:30 PM

Repost

I’m expecting a big interview from Sulky in the next 24-48 hours. One last big push for a move to a “big club”.

It won’t work and he’ll be heading to Croydon on Tuesday night for a medical and joining the not so glamorous Crystal Palace.

• Belfast

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:31 PM

You heard it here first! 🙂

• Toonfan8

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:32 PM

Our toon
    I was also impressed by his play, great to watch he reminds me Hazard style. We should definately go for him, it will also hurt Brighton and will make us much stronger