The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Our Man Of The Match Can Become A Real Newcastle Star

3:42 pm, Sunday, August 28th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 138 Comments

Jonjo Shelvey had a good game yesterday and Rafa Benitez seems to be willing to start him at home as Newcastle look to attack at St. James’ Park.

Yesterday he was our Man of the Match with 29% of the vote edging out Yoan Gouffran (20%) who had yet another good game fort Newcastle and is fast looking a good player on Tyneside and playing some of his best football at the club.

chancel mbemba jonjo shelvey scores brighton

Jonjo Shelvey after scoring terrific goal

Third in the voting was Mohamed Diame (16%) who we really like as a player and he should get better as he becomes fitter as he continues to get more games under his belt.

Jonjo scored a wonderful goal from a free kick on 63 minutes, to put the game beyond doubt with Newcastle going 2-0 ahead against a 10 man Brighton side.

There’s no doubt that Shelvey has great ability but he has to be  more consistent to become a real star player on Tyneside – but he can do that under the guidance of Rafa Benitez.

Jamaal Lascelles first half goal after 15 minutes was another good goal from Newcastle with the young captain coming in 4th in the voting (10%) and starting to look like his old self these days.

Here’s the highlights of the game to enjoy again.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Brighton?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Jonjo Shelvey · Man of the Match · Match Reports · Mohamed Diame · Newcastle News · Poll · Yoan Gouffran

138 responses so far ↓

• 1 bettyswallocks // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:46 PM

Blackley……… Repost

How do you feel about Jersmy Corbyn on the left wing?

• 2 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:52 PM

Betty
    Funny you should ask that. Just got a missive from Owen Smith’s camp yesterday. I can’t stand the bloke. Corbyn is the better of two poor choices.

• 3 bettyswallocks // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:54 PM

This could be the future !!

• 4 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:54 PM

I wonder what Mick Lowes makes of Goof now.

• 5 sing in the corner // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:58 PM

100sing in the corner // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:51 PM
    Repost

JfA
    Gallowgate East corner? Ha, that’s where I was too yesterday.
    And reading back match day posts I was surprised some said the crowd was quiet and needed to get more involved. It was pretty boisterous in our area and the central Gallowgate seemed to be lively as well.
    Voice is a bit croaky today! Had a tremendous time..
    Funniest / best chant for me was:
    ‘I don’t want…anybody else.
    When I think about you I touch Matt Sels!’ (Repeat..repeat..). ?

There was the odd Rick but for me the shape is improving and the players developing understanding of their roles each game..

• 6 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:01 PM

Sitc
    Aye, atmosphere was good. Must’ve been the extra hours on the drink. Even the Leazes sounded lively. Still a library in the Milburn of course.

• 7 check the toastie // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:08 PM

was also in Gallowgate corner, was really good, and I agree with an earlier poster, 11 vs 11 and we would have rode our luck, started sitting too deep.

not having dummett or goofran as players who stud be wearing the shirt. although would agree both give 100% as would I….

• 8 lesh // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:12 PM

Bettys

Corbyn’d be better left out than left wing. He’s an electoral liability tho I’m with him on his policies. A leader though, he is not.

Anyway, enough of the political…..

• 9 sing in the corner // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:17 PM

Blackley..Check..
    Aye, the Milburn…goes without saying. Shame like.
    Also a shame that by the time the players were showing their appreciation for the fans’ support the ground was half empty. I know it’s a late kick off and folk want to get away but still..
    Mind it was chaos in the city with the warm day, match and also Primal Scream / Superfurries playing at Time Square…

• 10 Ron Knee // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Could be a long afternoon for WHam.

• 11 magscar // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:21 PM

Sitc

I used to sit in Gallowgate and was often bemused by reports that crowd was quiet as it was always noisy there.

Having now been in L7 in Milburn for a few games and also closer to away fans I can see how statement is made even though the Gallowgate is manfully trying. Having said that yesterday quite a few in the Family Stand were getting caught up in atmosphere but it is still a little spasmodic given mix of crowd there.

Mind nothing compares to standing on the Leazes in 60’s and 70’s ( oh isn’t nostalgia a wonderful thing) 🙂

• 12 sing in the corner // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:21 PM

West Ham two nowt down after 17 mins..
    Oh dear, wheels coming off for them at the minute! Spankage today methinks..

• 13 sing in the corner // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:27 PM

Mags
    Sky coverage seems to not do justice to the crowd noise sometimes, I’ve noticed. You’d think they’d work out how to convey the atmosphere better to make it a more entertaining watch..
    And yeah, crowds in the 60s (I hear) and 70s were certainly a ‘different animal’ shall we say?? 🙂

• 14 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:32 PM

Got myself hammered after watching the game at my brothers house yesterday, so have not expressed my delight at a very good win.

I don’t think anyone had a bad game. I have said before how much I like Perez, but was unsure about him leading the line. However, he and Diame linked well and, even though they didnt score, caused a bit of mayhem between them. Goofy even made a nuisance of himself at times. Still think our best signing is Gordon Ramsays love child (Ritchie).

Note on shelveys free kick…. the amount of swerve on that was Beckham-esque

• 15 Tsunki // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:41 PM

No offence but 11 v 11 we were still in the ascendancy. It could actually be pinpointed to the minute when we sat in the middle and the game died off. It was when the Ginger Pirlo stepped onto the lawn. Nothing terrible happened, the game just went to sleep. Brighton for me didn’t look like getting near really, despite being invited to score on one or two occasions.

• 16 bettyswallocks // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:41 PM

Lesh……….. We don’t need a leader at NUFC. There is a suggestion that the club should be controlled by the state with the proletariat having more say in decision making:-

Manager/ Head Coach…….Karl Marx.

Goalkeeper…..Vladimir Lenin
    Left back…… Joseph Stalin
    Right back…..Mao Zedong
    CB….. Pol Pot
    CB…..Che Guevara
    DM….Ken Livingstone
    DM….. Kim Jong Un
    LW…. Tony Benn
    RW….Nicolas Ceausescus
    Strikers…. Arthur Scargill and Ian Paisley

• 17 Tsunki // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Sitc – be interesting to see how their 50k attendances hold up after another typically mediocre season.

• 18 Ron Knee // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:46 PM

Tsunki

When’s the next JCFC newsletter coming out?

• 19 magscar // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Sitc

That’s what I used to think about Sky as well after being in Gallowgate with what I assumed was a great atmosphere. Couple of mates though had seats in Leazes at L7 back then and used to say away fans in their end used to often drown it out and they were more voiciferous than most around them.

Difference in stand structure doesn’t help spread sound but does perhaps contain it in Gallowgate with lower roof?

If Leazes was today as in 60’s I wouldn’t be standing in it. After climbing to L7 and then halfway up stand I can barely stand and clap them on pitch – mind ref had me out of my seat in frustration a few times!

• 20 hibbitt // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:50 PM

there’s nowt wrong with the milburn stand i’ll you know best view in the place !!

• 21 sing in the corner // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Tsunki
    Yeah it will. West Ham fans expect their team to play a certain brand of lovely football bless them. Had a cracking season in spells last time, but they look sluggish this.

• 22 magscar // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:53 PM

YCMITU

Must admit I thought Shelvey’s freekick must have had a deflection at first from where I sat until I saw replay on “big telly” and then this morning on CH5.

That is another reason why we desperately need to get back to PL. Never will complain about MOTD again – well not as much.

• 23 JamesToon // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:53 PM

looks like tiote is off now, hopefully we’ll get Oxford and Atsu before the end of the window

• 24 hibbitt // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:54 PM

Blackley

has your opinion changed on Diame any after yesterday ?

• 25 magscar // Aug 28, 2016 at 4:55 PM

hibbit

Great view if not up in the clouds and you never have to glare at anybody for making a noise 😉

• 26 Belfast // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:00 PM

Apparently they’re giving out free telescopes and binoculars with season tickets next season Tsunki.

Claret and blue ones obviously.

• 27 sing in the corner // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Hibbitt
    It was a pleasure to watch Diame’s first half performance in my view. He took a real grip on the game and put himself about. He went backwards rapidly after 55mins or so, wearing his lungs on the outside of his chest by the end of his afternoon. When he’s fully fit he is gonna prove a beast of a signing for us. Now he’s there you can see he’s really one of the types of player we’ve been missing badly.

• 28 Ketsbaia9 // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:03 PM

This Daryl Murphy looks quite decent in the youtube videos. He looks fairly fast and skillfull which is good. 50 goals in 123 games since 2013 is impressive. He’s improved as a footballer. Will help us get out of this league.

• 29 Tsunki // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Ron – no time soon if it’s depending on me 🙂

• 30 magscar // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Tsunki@15

Think it signalled Rafa wanting to see game out but I was getting a bit frustrated then worried as our keep the ball antics now and again threatened to back fire with a too short ball or a pass too close to their front man. We never do easy.

Fortunately crowd didn’t encourage with choruses of olay or at least I couldn’t hear them 🙂

Seriously given our stage of acclimatisation, no front man and Brighton’s alleged pedigree then it was a well earned 3 points. Goufran scores with that thunderbolt and it would have been interesting to say the least.

There were flourishes from them particularly Knockeart but there were disappointing especially the throwing themselves down like “Weebles”. We never seemed to learn that brushing past a player can cause serious injury.

• 31 Ron Knee // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:16 PM

2-1!

• 32 BandB // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:18 PM

magscar

Weebles wobble.
    But they don’t fall down.

• 33 sing in the corner // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:20 PM

Game on!

• 34 magscar // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:21 PM

BandB

Ah but they didn’t have Hoots coaching them – mind they never would have caught on

• 35 Tsunki // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Magscar I agree I thought their feigning antics were a bit shabby, even more so the ref who bought into it and couldn’t find his pocket to put his cards away. Tbf we had perez waving his arms, shrugging and grimacing all day ha ha.

I’m not knocking Colback on this occasion strangely enough, he seemed to be brought in to do what he does best, break up and nullify the midfield. I think it was Rafa just shutting the door on the game.

• 36 hibbitt // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:34 PM

magscar

Knockeart would be a great addition to NUFC think we would tear teams apart with him and Ritchie in the same team

• 37 toon kk // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Belfast from previous post
    When I commented on us being poor we just lost our first two games and I along with many others thought we were sh.t and we were.
    Give credit when it’s due we have improved.
    But how good do you actually think we are???
    We’re a decent championship side and No more. I’m not getting too excited until we’re an established premier league club.
    A couple of wins people have us beating Real Madrid a couple of losses and some are calling for Rafa to be sacked.

At least I don’t predict unrealistic results and pathetic points totals come the end of the season

• 38 bettyswallocks // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:37 PM

I hope the rumours about Mbemba are just rumours. This lad is a real talent. He’s the first footballing CB we’ve had for a long time. He always looks like he wants to run with the ball and create something but manages to restrain himself.

• 39 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Hibbitt
    I thought Diame had a very good game yesterday. He was an imposing presence. I didn’t notice him tiring particularly.

My opinion of his previous performances remain the same; he was crap in his first game. Not much better against Cheltenham. If he can play like he did yesterday consistently, he’ll be a big player for us.

• 40 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:44 PM

With rafa in charge, we are going to have to put up with “shutting the door on the game” as Tsunki put it. It is just his style. I am happy with it. It’s not overcautious, and it wins games.

• 41 hibbitt // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:47 PM

Blackley
    well said i think he’s improved every game but was running out of puff just before Rafa took him off
    everyone put a shift in yesterday it was good to watch and a good team effort

• 42 magscar // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:52 PM

hibbitt

He would and I am sure Brighton agree hence reluctance sell to us but money talks so who knows. Sissoko goes and …. no not McCarthy at least not at silly money

Tsunki

Yeah Perez was animated but to be fair was receiving most regular attention without much success with Ref and was calling every foul on a B& W shirt at one stage. Need some glare lessons from Mitro but to use on defenders not Ref as he would be off

• 43 hibbitt // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:52 PM

bettyswallocks

Woodgate was the last footballing cb of Mbemba quality

• 44 Rotonda heights // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:56 PM

hibbit

best will in the world mbemba is nowhere near as accomplished and natural a footballer as woody was

• 45 magscar // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:58 PM

Blackas@39

Is this a slackening of your first impressions maxim or the instance that proves the rule? 🙂

Don’t disagree with your view on Diame’s first game but there were some signs of the player he might be for us back then and they are solidifying with each game – way to go still but signs are reassuring I think.

• 46 Rotonda heights // Aug 28, 2016 at 5:59 PM

i do like mbemba but woody was silk and just oozed class, like a rolls royce

• 47 Rotonda heights // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:01 PM

trouble is if you’re trying to shut out a game, colback’s constant fouls are a liability.

• 48 Tsunki // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:02 PM

Yeah I can live with closing games out it makes a nice change to see wins out. What I most appreciate at the moment is that we are still a team or rather squad of players that doesn’t really fully play to each others strengths yet, it’s plain to see on the pitch some things work, others dont, concentration varies – but it’s a testament to Rafas ability to consolidate results until his system of working properly kicks in. I think we will demonstrably improve in the next few months if this is the pattern.

• 49 Yo-yo // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:02 PM

JIB In support of your citing Puskas as an exceptionally fine player in his later years. Logically he, as an exception , is BREAKING the rule not PROVING IT. … There is no rule that says a player in his 30s cannot be in his prime.
    It is false logic, and obvious that an exception does not prove that a general rule is true, only that it is false.

Lets hope Daryl has two good seasons with us.. I’d settle for scores 6-10 with 6-10 assists, as he has a support role.

• 50 Tsunki // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:03 PM

Yes that’s true Wor Jack didn’t take long to run around the pitch with a red shirt in his hand ha ha

• 51 AncientC // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:03 PM

A great result yesterday, but it has to be taken into account just how poor Brighton were.

Brighton played with a high back line, were lazy to close the ball down, and the marking was near non-existent. Almost the perfect opponents for the way our side is set up to play.

Most of our upcoming fixtures are against sides that will come out and play, which should suit us – the bigger tests will come when we have to break teams like Ipswich down.

In my view, Brighton will be nowhere near the top 6 this season on that showing.

• 52 Yo-yo // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:04 PM

Diame said he was only 70% fit for his first game – so he’s not going to get 100% sharp in a couple of weeks.

• 53 Tsunki // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:04 PM

Murphy is there to provide competition for places as Rafa said. The lads up front have to scrap it out to play.

• 54 hibbitt // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:08 PM

Rotonda heights

when we signed Woodgate he was the finished article quality from day one Mbemba is young still learning his trade in what was a very poor team with very very poor coaches it’s noticeable how he has improved under Rafa
    i hope there’s still more to come

• 55 Belfast // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:11 PM

I never predicted silly points totals or predictions or had us in a relegation battle after two games like you and one or two others toon kk.

You said Brighton are miles better than us a few days ago when they clearly aren’t.

And then today we’re a top six championship side ?

Just pointing out yer views change like the weather.

I expect us to get promoted but it won’t be easy and I’ll be sticking with that view win – lose or draw.

Comprende ?? 🙂

• 56 Yo-yo // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:15 PM

B&B
    “A few weeks ago, after the slow start, Rafa was being carefully framed to take the rap on his own if things went tits up.”

I really think this is way overdramatic and conspiratorial. Who was ‘framin’ Rafa and for what – losing 2 games ?
    I doubt Lee Charnley has even heard of Kafka.

I think you’d be more on the money of you stuck with your subsequent argument that Ashley has admitted that he’s out of his depth and has royally screwed up out of pure ignorance – that is the cockup theory of Toon management over the last 9 years. You can’t have it both ways, though I don’t doubt Ashley has a malign side judging from his business management exposees.

• 57 lesh // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:15 PM

Bettys

I like your team selection but management’s a bit weak.

I wonder if Marx’s authority might be strengthened by recruiting Joe Stalin as Fitness Coach!

• 58 Belfast // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:18 PM

And predicting the worst in every situation doesn’t make you a realistic person. It makes you a miserable sod lol

Think my points total was 90 which is acceptable if you think we’ll be in the top two come May.

• 59 hibbitt // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:18 PM

the bit i know about Murphy is in a game like yesterday he would have been a bigger handful than Perez playing the lone striker very handy with set pieces at both ends all in all very good back up

• 60 magscar // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:23 PM

Ancient@51

Nevertheless Brighton were unbeaten for several months ( FEB?) and were only 2 goals different to Boro with same points last season – close margins for promotion.

Basically I think Rafa was more astute in his setting up without Gayle or Mitro and had Perez harass their defence and hurry their play at back. Pushing Shelvey forward kept us on top in midfield and generally made it difficult to play through us.

I don’t think Hughton was expecting our set up and didn’t then react or have the players to effectively do so and stuck to his plans at 1-0 until sending off made him go for broke?

They will be around top 6 if they keep Knockeart just as in last couple of seasons.

Other teams undoubtedly will pose different problems but that is why we need a manager who can set up differently gamr to game with players knowing his tactics and changing as he wants to react to what is happening on pitch. All still a work in progress but some encouraging signs.

As an example Bristol City caused Villa more problems yesterday than us last week because Villa lost their way when conceding equaliser. We are learning albeit slowly but when window closes I expect Rafa to get squad honed to what he wants. Disruption it causes all sides in August seems to be effecting him more than most.

• 61 Bobbybee // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Talking to some Brighton fans on the way back to the car. They accepted we were the better team by far and didn’t see the sending off as a turning point, as we were dominating the play when it was 11 v 11. They even praised Dummett, saying he pretty much negated Knockaert’s usual runs. Keep Knockaert quiet and you beat Brighton it would appear. The side is gelling now and only a matter of time before somebody cops a proper hiding off us. It may not be thrilling to watch, but loved the way Rafa made the right subs just to kill the game off. How many times in the past have we conceded daft goals whilst one up and trying to get a second? Too many times.
    He’s building a side to get us promoted, with an eye on the PL. We haven’t spent a penny yet and he’s probably keeping that money for when we get promoted. It’s horses for courses and some of our players are only here to get us up. We might be slightly weaker than last season, but we’re not playing PL sides. Let’s get promoted and worry about next season then. He knows exactly what he’s doing. Murphy is on a two year contract, nothing more. Brought in to do a job, yet some are dissing him without giving him a chance to show what he can do. Give him a chance, he might just surprise us all.

• 62 BandB // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:29 PM

Yo Yo

You are always happy to speculate on who or what I meant. You are always wibbling on about my posts in that sanctimonious style of yours having invariably grabbed the wrong end of the stick.
    I don’t think as much of your intellect as you clearly do, so sod off.
    Comprende?

• 63 bettyswallocks // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:29 PM

Perez as the lone striker surrounded by big defenders is as pointless as trying to convince BandB that Ashley might have learnt his lesson.

• 64 magscar // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:30 PM

hibbit

I used to know quite a few Leeds fans back in the day and when we signed Woodgate they were adamant ( and not a little unhappy!!) that we had got the best player of him and Rio and at a steal. They were pleased he hadn’t followed Rio over the Pennines though. Just wasn’t to be but we would have had genuine title aspirations with him fit and here longer 🙁

• 65 BandB // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:32 PM

I was writing about one or two time-honoured regime apologists on the blog getting in first to make sure none of the sense of crisis that had foolishly gripped the blog was going to be laid at Ashley’s famous door.

• 66 magscar // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:43 PM

Betty@63

You might be right but I think Ashley is still trying it on for size – after all SD doesn’t like you taking stuff back or at least they didn’t years ago.

When a SD store just opened fairly near me (without current connotations you understand) I bought some trackie bottoms but hadn’t tried on (where are the changing rooms?) and of course didn’t fit on getting home. Returning for money back wasn’t like in M&S and had to take guerilla action and cause embarrassment ( to Wor Lass as much as management) to finally get refund. Never heard of our Mike at that stage but my dislike for SD ( and possibly reciprocated in that store) was planted.

Some family still occasionally use shop (or at least a more local one) and are reasonably satisfied with purchases for kids.

• 67 brklyngeordie // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Just saw that RB Leipzig have signed Oliver Burke for 12m Euro, we should have been all over that, will be sold back to an English club in 2 years for 20m +

• 68 Belfast // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Very surprised at that brkly. Interesting story that club. Apparently everyone in Germany hates them lol

• 69 SUTTY1978 // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Oil Burke has gone to RedBull Leipzig for £15m, that will certainly make Forest much weaker. Unusual to see a young British player go abroad for that kind of cash. Better that if he plays rather than going and sitting on the bench for Man City just to meet the homegrown regs.

• 70 Belfast // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:58 PM

And Das boot has joined Sporting.

• 71 bettyswallocks // Aug 28, 2016 at 6:58 PM

Magscar………. It’s only a might and a maybe but as he get’s older perhap’s the idea of a football club that plays winning football and commands respect rather than scorn appeals more than being determined to do it his way with all the controversy attached to that.

Of course as has been correctly pointed out by my right honourable friend, the acid test will be how much he makes available next season if we do achieve promotion.

• 72 Ian Toon // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:04 PM

Ho-yo-yo. – So I am not alone in thinking you’re a closet weirdo. Whilst you’re about it can you also cross me off your random posting list . I was never in the 6th Form debating society and have no wish to decipher your line of reasoning. Kindly don’t presume to know anything about me.
    Just concentrate on the football Buster.

• 73 welshgeordie9 // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:09 PM

We have signed Lazaar.

Great news.

• 74 BandB // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:11 PM

betty,

The day I perceive that change of heart in the way you have (having mistakenly bought his “change of heart” at the beginning of last season) I will give him credit for it.
    But the last time I saw him on TV he was telling MPs with justifiable concerns about exploitative practices at his warehouses “well, I’m not Santa Claus, am I?”
    I’m not bothered about Ashley now. Even his most slavish bootlickers no longer try to claim he is an infallible genius, reinventing the football wheel.
    Though I am still bothered when I see them trying to set up Rafa as an Aunt Sally for worried fans to pelt.

• 75 Jib // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:12 PM

They work on Sundays at SJP !

• 76 welshgeordie9 // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:13 PM

And he has signed a five year contract as well.

• 77 welshgeordie9 // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:14 PM

That was from Lee Ryder and now it’s officially confirmed on Sky Sports News.

• 78 Belfast // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:14 PM

Wahey a left back finally!

• 79 Yo-yo // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:20 PM

Hi Ian

Random slagging off other posters ?
    Excessive sense of self worth ?
    Smug twunt ?
    Lovc in with Belfast gone titsup ?

Once an erse, always an erse

• 80 magscar // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:20 PM

Betty

They are still some staunchly held opinions on here but they are dissapating for some and in the main do not have the currency they once held when the battle lines were clearly drawn and everyone whether they liked it or not was picked for a side.

It is far more enjoyable on here when the craic is about the football side and easier to post without finding yourself arguing against a label you never actually subscribed to but nevertheless because you are new and not in the then mainstream were automatically in the “agin” column.

Reminiscing this afternoon has made me realise that only once in all my supporting time ( back to Mckeag) have I once felt that the Board “got” it as I did . That was of course under “Sir John” or until I came to realise he had merely hi-jacked the support ( willingly it has to be said) to make money whilst admittedly paving the way for a new stadium and a great team to watch.

Some great Sir John and Super Kev chats on NUFC videos back then .

Which was the motivating force though? Football Glory for Geordies or Loadsamoney – you decide I know what I think.

Perhaps a little of BandB’s recent treatises on how 2 people can have different intentions but results are pleasing to both – well for awhile.

Whatever – they were still the best years yet of my supporting.

• 81 Yo-yo // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:21 PM

BandB

Back to playing the man when your arguments desert you ?

• 82 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:26 PM

We’ve got a LB wahoo

• 83 Belfast // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:31 PM

Could be a winger though

• 84 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:32 PM

Could be a goal keeper doubt it though

• 85 Jib // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:33 PM

Ed must be taking Milo for a walk .
    There’s no Lazaar thread!

• 86 magscar // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:33 PM

Belfast

As long as not a whinger we should be fine

• 87 Belfast // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:35 PM

I would take McManaman by the way. Haidara is hardly a club legend – stalwart like.

I’d maybe have a different view if he karate kicked Shearer.

West Bromwich being linked with Chadli at Spurs so that rumour might have some legs.

• 88 Belfast // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:37 PM

Enjoyable post from you Wwsbrd for a change ho ho ho

• 89 manxpie // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:37 PM

wow colback in the england squad!!

• 90 Belfast // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:37 PM

You too Magscar 🙂

• 91 Ian Toon // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:39 PM

How do you know I have an excessive sense of self worth?
    You know nothing about me whatsoever . I do try to avoid sheer nastiness unaccompanied by any argument. Vituperation is rarely worth reading. I value responses from people who know more and understand better.

• 92 BandB // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:40 PM

magscar,

You have to have some confidence that he will either buy-in and improve, or his career with us will be short.
    We seem happily liberated from the sight of a frazzled manager seeming to be the only one who doesn’t understand why “Wini, Fab, Socks and Dazzer” weren’t putting in a shift for him.

• 93 magscar // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Belfast

Thought I would try a bit of short and snappy for a change rather than long and yappy as some find 🙂

• 94 Belfast // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:41 PM

Fat Sam bangs Noble and Defoe for England drum loudly. Gets England job doesn’t pick them lol

• 95 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Belfast
    Knew I’d win u round at some point!

• 96 manxpie // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:44 PM

lazaar has played more on the wing than LB the last 2 seasons and as we don’t have a LW i think thats where he will fill in at first

• 97 Ron Knee // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Benitez signs a full team:-

• 98 Rotonda heights // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:52 PM

Ian,

Please take a moment to reflect on your comments. I think you will find that any adverse comments you may receive are usually based on someone retaliating to one of your many personal and provocative insults.

If only you did what you preached, or on occasion even went so far as to apologise for your sometimes ill-judged and inflammatory rhetoric, you may find you have a more receptive and less condemning audience. Just a thought, though I doubt your ego and arrogance would entertain it that notion sadly.

• 99 magscar // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:53 PM

BandB

As is often the case I am not sure whether we are as far apart as our history would sugges
    It isjust the time consuming digging into your posts for the subtle treasure sometimes buried there that makes me feel is it worth it – we simply don’t usually agree?

Anyway I feel Ashley and Rafa are the real deal for as long as it suits both so who tires first? Well you would have to say Ashley probably holds most of the cards and he would play first and Rafa will then decide his next play. At this time it is difficult to see someone butting in but Ashley is unpredictable.

Time will tell but I am with Betty in main and if Rafa can deliver what Ashley wants within budget ( and not an unnecessarily constrained one) then just may be we can all frolic in the promised land despite how we arrived there and why. My sentimental dream anyway.

• 100 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:53 PM

So after Townsend left us to increase his England chances he then doesn’t get picked for England!!

• 101 Tsunki // Aug 28, 2016 at 7:59 PM

Ians ranking in the Mr Congeniality contest seems to have slipped a couple of rungs. Better Butter up Belfast Buster ha ha.

• 102 Spoof // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Lee

Increasing your chance’s doesn’t guarantee your selection, I’m not really sure what point you’re making ?

• 103 Ian Toon // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:11 PM

Rotonda- My “playing the man and not the ball” line is custom made for you. Your very first “I’ve got coaching badges” followed me having a different opinion on a football issue.
    You’re posting now in defence of a member of your dinosaur cabal – 50+. What annoys me most about you is the disrespect you show to Jimmy Smith types who can teach me a lot about our football. So where does that leave you?

Only kidding but you get my drift. Likewise as per Yo-yo and random posting. I frequently have limited time but like to respond when people post to me.

• 104 Ian Toon // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Tsunki- Just to put you at ease. You remain a personal…,Buster!

• 105 Spoof // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:16 PM

I see the hand bags are out again————–yawn yawn yawn.

• 106 BandB // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:17 PM

magscar

I think our history suggests that we’ll say nothing encouraging when we agree with each and go to war when we don’t, just the same as everyone else.
    War makes the news while peace never does.
    I read stuff you and betty and Bobbybee say all the time that is obviously common ground. You’d expect us to have some.
    Ian Toon is punchy, but it doesn’t mean he doesn’t put forward ideas that sometimes get shorter shift than they deserve.

The only folks I don’t get are those who post every once in a while to say “I wish everyone I don’t like would just do one.”

• 107 BandB // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:21 PM

Oh …like Spoof’s just done there.

Come on Spoofy lad…..apprenticeship is over.
    Say something that starts a debate. Go on….try.
    And why not try “c@ck waving” instead of “handbags” for a change, given that most of the tiffs are between men.

• 108 magscar // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:22 PM

BandB

Perhaps.

Have to go apparently TV calls after my stint on here today.

Night all

• 109 Spoof // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:22 PM

Ed should have a list of all posters and we should all vote for your 20 most popular and the 20 least popular and then combine the results to get an overall view of how we are judged my others, it wouldn’t serve any purpose but it would be fun !

• 110 Spoof // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:25 PM

BandB

Your not trying to get me into trouble now are you, slap wrists mind lol

• 111 brklyngeordie // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:27 PM

The month of September is going to be a real test for the club have some very trying fixtures and feel if we come out of it in Top 3 it will be very encouraging for the rest of season..

Although some still question Rafa the man knows what he is doing some of the signings may not have go everybody excited but they are necessary as the fixtures are coming in abundance..

Hope Armstrong remains on team as he may still have a role to play

• 112 Spoof // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:29 PM

By the way BandB, most of the tiffs are between men is not a statement which I can agree with, big girls blouses would be more apt.

• 113 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:30 PM

Not sure I’d be comfortable having a tiff with someone who was waving thier c0ck around 😮

• 114 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Anyway. Are most people happy with our signings? Do we have enough to get us through till January?

• 115 BandB // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:32 PM

You should try it Mark.
    There’s only ever one winner 🙂

• 116 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:34 PM

BandB

The person who takes photos and uses them for blackmail purposes? 😀

• 117 EllaGuru // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:37 PM

What do make of Lazar? Is that our incoming business done for the window, or do people reckon we will get a LW in too? I would really like to see Atsu in on loan, as I dont think that we can solely rely on Gouff for the next 8 weeks whilst Rolando recovers.

• 118 welshgeordie9 // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:37 PM

YouCouldn’tMakeItUp

If we sign that young Chelsea player then we have got a squad that will last all season never mind January, there is competition in every position,we haven’t had that for a long time.

• 119 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:39 PM

Wonder if they should start doing it during pollitical debates. Prime minister’s question time might be a laugh it’s full of male back-benchers Helicoptering like mad.

• 120 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:39 PM

Football is a weakest link game where success is determined not just by what you do well but what you don’t do badly. Rafa is eschewing the superstars and preferring strength in depth. He’s identifying the weakest links and addressing them. However, as a member of the majority on here, who has no coaching badges, I’ve probably called that completely wrong.

• 121 Belfast // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:39 PM

Pull the plug Buster pull the plug!

• 122 BandB // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Mark,

It’s not over yet.
    If we got a left winger, sold Sissoko and let Haidara, Tiote, Vuckic go, I’d say it was a bold window.
    If we did all those things and also sold Mbemba, it would put things in a different light for me.

• 123 Belfast // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Don’t worry Blackley I’ve no coaching badges either only blue Peter ones sadly.

• 124 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Welsh

Yeah. Glad the whole “purples” idea seems well and truely scrapped, and we have players competing like you say.

Guru

I think now that we have 3 strikers, and Diame looks the prefered choice at 10, we will see Perez get a run games in the left AM role. Hopefully Atsu signs. He apparently has the creativity we need.

• 125 BandB // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:44 PM

To be fair Blackley, you did ask expat what his qualifications were.
    All he did was list them.
    I suppose in your world, he loses if he lists them and you pounce on him if he doesn’t.
    FEED MEEEEEEE!

• 126 Belfast // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:44 PM

And a couple of shoot annuals from the 90s but that’s about it.

• 127 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:46 PM

BandB

Yes, I have to say I would be worried if we lost Mbemba. Rafa has finally given us full cover in defence and losing a key player in that just as the window closes would be hard to take.

• 128 BandB // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Mark,

You could argue that we’ve scrapped the purple’s system only inasmuch as we’ve replaced a purple and a pink with two mauves.

• 129 Spoof // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:49 PM

brklyn

Rafa is getting some questions asked due to his signings but I can’t see why, it’s a puzzler, we all know about the purples policy with a few decent players who would be sufficient to keep us up, well that was the plan anyway, but what we lacked was squad depth, balance and a group where we could set ourselves up with a purpose and a plan with the option of changing it if needs be.

We were sick to death of not having a commanding CB, we were sick to death of this under 25 with a few to sell on value policy, we were sick to death of fearing an injury as we had no back up, we were sick to death of never buying an experienced player when we so badly needed that experience, we were sick to death of being told that we cannot buy a player proven in any of the top two leagues as they aren’t value for money, but now that all of those handicaps have gone and we sign a British player from an English club and he is over the age of 30 we are up in arms about our signings, Daryl Murphy is so far from what we used to go for yet he is everything that we wished for, people seem to have been brain washed and would rather us continue with these foreign flops who were sold to us as being coup’s, they really do need to get a grip, why can’t they accept that we are now getting players in to do a job on the pitch and we are no longer getting them in with the aim being to make Mikey a profit, strange strange strange.

• 130 JP...from The Rock // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:49 PM

Yey finally it’s official Lazaar has signed on the dotted line is now a Newcastle United player! Happy days! I think he sill be a hit! Just what we needed. Now for a LW or two and possibly a CAM and we will brush aside any opposition to claim promotion to where we belong.

• 131 Ian Toon // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:50 PM

Belfast – I should have pulled the plug before I started. What’s this obsession with Irish footballers. I hadn’t heard of the Ipwich ST let alone that he has played for the mackems. For many on our fan base that’s one heck of a disadvantage. Being in the Championship has been quite an education- you’re right about the standard of refereeing! Look out for The Fall coming your way again soon.

• 132 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:53 PM

BandB

That actually had me chuckling. Well played 😀

I think mauves are better for us. They play to a good standard and don’t seem prone to stropping.

• 133 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:55 PM

Some of our younger mauves might improve enough to recieve a re-spray.

• 134 Blackley and Brownlie // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:57 PM

BandB
    It started when Expat started by slagging off the majority on the blog and then said he had the qualifications, which he would let us have if we wished. But that doesn’t fit your agenda so just ignore it.

• 135 Spoof // Aug 28, 2016 at 8:58 PM

JP

Now for a LW, well for all we know he may be the left winger seeing as he has played more games as a winger than a LB over the last two seasons, it could be that he has been bought as a winger who could cover LB until Haidara gets back ?

• 136 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 9:17 PM

How many times has Lazaar played LW over his career compared to LB?

• 137 manxpie // Aug 28, 2016 at 9:25 PM

Left Midfield 55 1 4
    Left-Back 52 3 2
    Right Midfield 2 – –
    Centre Back 2 – –
    Defensive Midfield 1 – –

• 138 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 9:29 PM

How many times has Galloway played LW compared to LB?

previous post: Gini Wijnaldum Speaks Highly Of Newcastle United