Our Man Of The Match Can Become A Real Newcastle Star

Jonjo Shelvey had a good game yesterday and Rafa Benitez seems to be willing to start him at home as Newcastle look to attack at St. James’ Park.

Yesterday he was our Man of the Match with 29% of the vote edging out Yoan Gouffran (20%) who had yet another good game fort Newcastle and is fast looking a good player on Tyneside and playing some of his best football at the club.

chancel mbemba jonjo shelvey scores brighton

Jonjo Shelvey after scoring terrific goal

Third in the voting was Mohamed Diame (16%) who we really like as a player and he should get better as he becomes fitter as he continues to get more games under his belt.

Jonjo scored a wonderful goal from a free kick on 63 minutes, to put the game beyond doubt with Newcastle going 2-0 ahead against a 10 man Brighton side.

There’s no doubt that Shelvey has great ability but he has to be  more consistent to become a real star player on Tyneside – but he can do that under the guidance of Rafa Benitez.

Jamaal Lascelles first half goal after 15 minutes was another good goal from Newcastle with the young captain coming in 4th in the voting (10%) and starting to look like his old self these days.

Here’s the highlights of the game to enjoy again.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Brighton?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• bettyswallocks

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:46 PM

Blackley……… Repost

How do you feel about Jersmy Corbyn on the left wing?

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:52 PM

Betty
    Funny you should ask that. Just got a missive from Owen Smith’s camp yesterday. I can’t stand the bloke. Corbyn is the better of two poor choices.

• bettyswallocks

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:54 PM

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:54 PM

I wonder what Mick Lowes makes of Goof now.

• sing in the corner

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:58 PM

100sing in the corner // Aug 28, 2016 at 3:51 PM
    Repost

JfA
    Gallowgate East corner? Ha, that’s where I was too yesterday.
    And reading back match day posts I was surprised some said the crowd was quiet and needed to get more involved. It was pretty boisterous in our area and the central Gallowgate seemed to be lively as well.
    Voice is a bit croaky today! Had a tremendous time..
    Funniest / best chant for me was:
    ‘I don’t want…anybody else.
    When I think about you I touch Matt Sels!’ (Repeat..repeat..). ?

There was the odd Rick but for me the shape is improving and the players developing understanding of their roles each game..

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:01 PM

Sitc
    Aye, atmosphere was good. Must’ve been the extra hours on the drink. Even the Leazes sounded lively. Still a library in the Milburn of course.

• check the toastie

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:08 PM

was also in Gallowgate corner, was really good, and I agree with an earlier poster, 11 vs 11 and we would have rode our luck, started sitting too deep.

not having dummett or goofran as players who stud be wearing the shirt. although would agree both give 100% as would I….

• lesh

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:12 PM

Bettys

Corbyn’d be better left out than left wing. He’s an electoral liability tho I’m with him on his policies. A leader though, he is not.

Anyway, enough of the political…..

• sing in the corner

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:17 PM

Blackley..Check..
    Aye, the Milburn…goes without saying. Shame like.
    Also a shame that by the time the players were showing their appreciation for the fans’ support the ground was half empty. I know it’s a late kick off and folk want to get away but still..
    Mind it was chaos in the city with the warm day, match and also Primal Scream / Superfurries playing at Time Square…

• Ron Knee

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Could be a long afternoon for WHam.

• magscar

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:21 PM

Sitc

I used to sit in Gallowgate and was often bemused by reports that crowd was quiet as it was always noisy there.

Having now been in L7 in Milburn for a few games and also closer to away fans I can see how statement is made even though the Gallowgate is manfully trying. Having said that yesterday quite a few in the Family Stand were getting caught up in atmosphere but it is still a little spasmodic given mix of crowd there.

Mind nothing compares to standing on the Leazes in 60’s and 70’s ( oh isn’t nostalgia a wonderful thing) 🙂

• sing in the corner

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:21 PM

West Ham two nowt down after 17 mins..
    Oh dear, wheels coming off for them at the minute! Spankage today methinks..

• sing in the corner

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:27 PM

Mags
    Sky coverage seems to not do justice to the crowd noise sometimes, I’ve noticed. You’d think they’d work out how to convey the atmosphere better to make it a more entertaining watch..
    And yeah, crowds in the 60s (I hear) and 70s were certainly a ‘different animal’ shall we say?? 🙂

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:32 PM

Got myself hammered after watching the game at my brothers house yesterday, so have not expressed my delight at a very good win.

I don’t think anyone had a bad game. I have said before how much I like Perez, but was unsure about him leading the line. However, he and Diame linked well and, even though they didnt score, caused a bit of mayhem between them. Goofy even made a nuisance of himself at times. Still think our best signing is Gordon Ramsays love child (Ritchie).

Note on shelveys free kick…. the amount of swerve on that was Beckham-esque

• Tsunki

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:41 PM

No offence but 11 v 11 we were still in the ascendancy. It could actually be pinpointed to the minute when we sat in the middle and the game died off. It was when the Ginger Pirlo stepped onto the lawn. Nothing terrible happened, the game just went to sleep. Brighton for me didn’t look like getting near really, despite being invited to score on one or two occasions.

• bettyswallocks

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:41 PM

Lesh……….. We don’t need a leader at NUFC. There is a suggestion that the club should be controlled by the state with the proletariat having more say in decision making:-

Manager/ Head Coach…….Karl Marx.

Goalkeeper…..Vladimir Lenin
    Left back…… Joseph Stalin
    Right back…..Mao Zedong
    CB….. Pol Pot
    CB…..Che Guevara
    DM….Ken Livingstone
    DM….. Kim Jong Un
    LW…. Tony Benn
    RW….Nicolas Ceausescus
    Strikers…. Arthur Scargill and Ian Paisley

• Tsunki

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Sitc – be interesting to see how their 50k attendances hold up after another typically mediocre season.

• Ron Knee

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:46 PM

Tsunki

When’s the next JCFC newsletter coming out?

• magscar

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Sitc

That’s what I used to think about Sky as well after being in Gallowgate with what I assumed was a great atmosphere. Couple of mates though had seats in Leazes at L7 back then and used to say away fans in their end used to often drown it out and they were more voiciferous than most around them.

Difference in stand structure doesn’t help spread sound but does perhaps contain it in Gallowgate with lower roof?

If Leazes was today as in 60’s I wouldn’t be standing in it. After climbing to L7 and then halfway up stand I can barely stand and clap them on pitch – mind ref had me out of my seat in frustration a few times!

• hibbitt

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:50 PM

there’s nowt wrong with the milburn stand i’ll you know best view in the place !!

• sing in the corner

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Tsunki
    Yeah it will. West Ham fans expect their team to play a certain brand of lovely football bless them. Had a cracking season in spells last time, but they look sluggish this.

• magscar

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:53 PM

YCMITU

Must admit I thought Shelvey’s freekick must have had a deflection at first from where I sat until I saw replay on “big telly” and then this morning on CH5.

That is another reason why we desperately need to get back to PL. Never will complain about MOTD again – well not as much.

• JamesToon

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:53 PM

looks like tiote is off now, hopefully we’ll get Oxford and Atsu before the end of the window

• hibbitt

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:54 PM

Blackley

has your opinion changed on Diame any after yesterday ?

• magscar

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:55 PM

hibbit

Great view if not up in the clouds and you never have to glare at anybody for making a noise 😉

• Belfast

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:00 PM

Apparently they’re giving out free telescopes and binoculars with season tickets next season Tsunki.

Claret and blue ones obviously.

• sing in the corner

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Hibbitt
    It was a pleasure to watch Diame’s first half performance in my view. He took a real grip on the game and put himself about. He went backwards rapidly after 55mins or so, wearing his lungs on the outside of his chest by the end of his afternoon. When he’s fully fit he is gonna prove a beast of a signing for us. Now he’s there you can see he’s really one of the types of player we’ve been missing badly.

• Ketsbaia9

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:03 PM

This Daryl Murphy looks quite decent in the youtube videos. He looks fairly fast and skillfull which is good. 50 goals in 123 games since 2013 is impressive. He’s improved as a footballer. Will help us get out of this league.

• Tsunki

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Ron – no time soon if it’s depending on me 🙂

• magscar

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Tsunki@15

Think it signalled Rafa wanting to see game out but I was getting a bit frustrated then worried as our keep the ball antics now and again threatened to back fire with a too short ball or a pass too close to their front man. We never do easy.

Fortunately crowd didn’t encourage with choruses of olay or at least I couldn’t hear them 🙂

Seriously given our stage of acclimatisation, no front man and Brighton’s alleged pedigree then it was a well earned 3 points. Goufran scores with that thunderbolt and it would have been interesting to say the least.

There were flourishes from them particularly Knockeart but there were disappointing especially the throwing themselves down like “Weebles”. We never seemed to learn that brushing past a player can cause serious injury.

• Ron Knee

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:16 PM

2-1!

• BandB

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:18 PM

magscar

Weebles wobble.
    But they don’t fall down.

• sing in the corner

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:20 PM

Game on!

• magscar

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:21 PM

BandB

Ah but they didn’t have Hoots coaching them – mind they never would have caught on

• Tsunki

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Magscar I agree I thought their feigning antics were a bit shabby, even more so the ref who bought into it and couldn’t find his pocket to put his cards away. Tbf we had perez waving his arms, shrugging and grimacing all day ha ha.

I’m not knocking Colback on this occasion strangely enough, he seemed to be brought in to do what he does best, break up and nullify the midfield. I think it was Rafa just shutting the door on the game.

• hibbitt

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:34 PM

magscar

Knockeart would be a great addition to NUFC think we would tear teams apart with him and Ritchie in the same team

• toon kk

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:35 PM

Belfast from previous post
    When I commented on us being poor we just lost our first two games and I along with many others thought we were sh.t and we were.
    Give credit when it’s due we have improved.
    But how good do you actually think we are???
    We’re a decent championship side and No more. I’m not getting too excited until we’re an established premier league club.
    A couple of wins people have us beating Real Madrid a couple of losses and some are calling for Rafa to be sacked.

At least I don’t predict unrealistic results and pathetic points totals come the end of the season

• bettyswallocks

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:37 PM

I hope the rumours about Mbemba are just rumours. This lad is a real talent. He’s the first footballing CB we’ve had for a long time. He always looks like he wants to run with the ball and create something but manages to restrain himself.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Hibbitt
    I thought Diame had a very good game yesterday. He was an imposing presence. I didn’t notice him tiring particularly.

My opinion of his previous performances remain the same; he was crap in his first game. Not much better against Cheltenham. If he can play like he did yesterday consistently, he’ll be a big player for us.

• YouCouldn'tMakeItUp

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:44 PM

With rafa in charge, we are going to have to put up with “shutting the door on the game” as Tsunki put it. It is just his style. I am happy with it. It’s not overcautious, and it wins games.