The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa – This Player Has To Stay At Newcastle Now

11:17 pm, Sunday, August 28th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 20 Comments

Yoan Gouffran appeared only 9 times for Newcastle last season under Steve McClaren, but he seems to be completely rejuvenated under Rafa Benitez and has started the last four games for Newcastle – all wins.

Yoan has entered the last year of his four and a half year contract since he signed on for us in January, 2013 from Bordeaux.

yoan gouffran

Yoan Gouffran – a revelation this season

Rafa seems delighted with both the form and attitude of the 22 times capped French U-21 International and Benitez had this to say about Yoan after the 2-0 win yesterday at home to a strong Brighton & Hove Albion side:

“Normally he has to stay now. I said before that he had some offers, but they were not good enough, so I gave him the chance to play because he has been a very good professional.”

“So now after playing three games, with three wins and him playing well, then I don’t see any change. The only change is if someone comes with massive money, then I will think about it.”

“I believe he is happy. When a player can see that you trust him, and we can give him confidence, then normally they are happy with that.”  “Especially if they are playing.”

“The only thing is in this case is that, if you have a player of this age, and someone comes and makes him a good offer with a three-year contract and big offer, you have to understand that for him it could be important to leave.”

“But in this case the offer was not good enough. I said to him: ‘Look, I am happy, keep going, keep working hard and you will have your chances.’ And he has had his chances.”

“I think it’s important for me to see the team playing well after I have changed players because then the squad is stronger.”

“The message is: They have to compete. They have to realise that the only way to be strong until the end of the season is to have the opportunity to change things and keep the team fresh.”

“So they have to compete and they have to be fresh. They have to realise they must keep pushing and put me in a position where every time I need to decide who to play. I am happy with that.”

Those are really good words from the experienced Newcastle manager, who has built up a strong squad so far this summer.

Gouffran almost scored a brilliant goal against Brighton in the first half when he struck a tremendous drive from all of 30 yards out and it hit the cross-bar as the ball dipped and swerved.

He almost scored another when he volleyed the ball just over the bar and he looked impressive, especially in that first half.

Matt Ritchie on the right and Yoan on the left provided a threat down both wings for the Magpies yesterday.

A club could still come in with a big offer before Wednesday night, after seeing how well Yoan has played over the last four games, but we hope he stays at Newcastle, because he can do a good job for us this season and help us get promoted.

That’s job one this season – get promoted immediately back to the Premier League – no ifs ands or buts about that.

Yoan’s attitude and form so far this season have been outstanding.

Tags: Championship · Financials · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League · Press · Press Conference · Yoan Gouffran

20 responses so far ↓

• 1 Fostino // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:22 PM

Krul
    Janmaat taylor colo cabella
    Saviet tiote wini thauvin
    Cisse de jong

Vs
    Sels
    Yedlin hanley clark jesus
    Rithchie Diame hayden lazarr
    Murphy gayle

Who’d win

• 2 Spoof // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:24 PM

I get the impression that Gouffran has given Rafa an added and unexpected bonus, but that’s Rafa for you, fancy dan’s are out but hard work and a good attitude are in, the Gouff must work hard and have a good attitude, good for him I hope he stays with us.

• 3 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:24 PM

Bloody hell Cabella is a LB now…honestly u lot hurt my head at times

• 4 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:26 PM

Sounds nice be really we can’t afford to lose him

• 5 Spoof // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:29 PM

Fostino

based on averages it has got to be the new team, not slating the ability of the old team but the chances are you would only about six of then at any one time and as good or as bad as we currently are I’m sure we could beat a 5/6/7 aside team.

• 6 manxpie // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:30 PM

Left Midfield 55 1 4
    Left-Back 52 3 2
    Right Midfield 2 – –
    Centre Back 2 – –
    Defensive Midfield 1 – –

quite simple tbh belfast games goals assists
    he’s played 55 games with 1 goal and 4 assists at left midfield ya can work the rest out yaself lol

• 7 Fostino // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:31 PM

WwsRb

Without cribbing about whether cabella is actually a lb. Yes I know he is a winger. I would have put mbabu therr but i still hsve hopes he might return and play for us again nect year. The nature of the post to see if ye taught the nee arrivals are bether than the recently departed.

• 8 Fostino // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:35 PM

Spoof

Yes. It’s a tough one to call. With a bit if luck we might still add a good winger to the new arrivals team…But the recently departed team may gain sissoko.

• 9 manxpie // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:35 PM

andy carroll was a LB once 🙂

• 10 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:37 PM

Fostino
    Haha I know I was joking bud

As for ur team I reckon it’d be a draw

• 11 WWSBRD // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:38 PM

Sissoko played LB last season

• 12 Average_Contents // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:38 PM

Competition for places… Who’d of thunked it eh.

A far cry from the “we’ll make do” bollox that has plagued us for far too many seasons.

Hwtl
    Hwtf

• 13 Spoof // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:40 PM

manxpie

and a pyss head many a time lol.

and when working nightshitf in the town I have witnessed it more than once.

• 14 manxpie // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:43 PM

who carroll spoof?
    yeah he had quite the reputation remember when a load of coke was pictured in nolans house when he had to baby sit him lol good times!

• 15 toon22 // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:47 PM

Imho Gouffran is the first fully Pardewed player to be UnPardewed.
    Anita was only semi Pardewed.

Either way its the sign of a good manager,getting more out of his players.

For me though as odd as it sounds we really need to stop buying people now lolz

• 16 Spoof // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:49 PM

maxxpie

yeah I remember them, and seeing him fall off a bar stool which is where he picked up the alleged injury he had when signing for Liverpool.

• 17 Average_Contents // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:54 PM

From SSN and not from the paper or rumours section either.

22:48
    MAGPIES MOVE FOR ATSU

Newcastle are close to agreeing a loan deal for Chelsea winger Christian Atsu.

Sky sources understand the Magpies will take the 24-year-old Ghana international on a temporary basis, with an option of a permanent deal currently under discussion.

• 18 Spoof // Aug 28, 2016 at 11:55 PM

toon22

what are you on about, Anita looks good when he doesn’t have to defend, any defender in the world would then look good and Gouffran has made the effort but what impact has he actually made, very little so far but there could be more to come, then again there mightn’t be.

• 19 Munster Mag // Aug 29, 2016 at 12:09 AM

Fostino current team wud win by 3

• 20 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 29, 2016 at 12:19 AM

I’ve not seen alot of Lazar, but from youtube he looks like he’s got pace, & a Sharpe turn. His end product doesn’t look the best. His crossing wasn’t landing to the strikers. A bit like haidara, but still a better version.

previous post: Talks At An Advanced Stage For Newcastle’s Next Summer Signing