The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Could Still Surprise Us With 13th Signing

11:04 pm, Monday, August 29th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 59 Comments

With Rolando Aarons injured and out for at least eight weeks with his broken foot and with his injury history, Rafa Benitez is considering bringing in a second winger in addition to Chelsea winger Christian Atsu.

Atsu will have a medical tomorrow after terms were fully agreed with Chelsea, before signing a season long loan deal with an option to buy at Newcastle.

Callum McManaman has been on Rafa Benitez’ hit list this summer but we have moved for higher priority targets so far.

callum mcmanaman

25 year-old West Brom winger Callum McManaman

Callum is available for £4.75M from West Brom with the 25 year-old Liverpudlian having no future at the Baggies.

Callum signed for West Brom in January of last year from Wigan for that identical fee, but he has hardly played at West Brom (12 appearances) and has not been in their first team squad at all this season.

Tony Pulis said this on Sunday afternoon after the drab 0-0 draw with Middlesbrough:

“I expect McManaman to leave, we’ll get our money back on him.”

McManaman began his youth career at home town club Everton before being released in 2007 – and it’s then that he signed on at Wigan at just 16 years-old.

We think Callum would be a decent signing for us, but it’s up to Rafa to decide if he needs another winger in the squad.

And that really terrible tackle Callum made on Sadio Haidara in March of 2013 when he was playing for Wigan will likely not be held against him after he did issue this apology:

“I actually thought I’d won the ball cleanly and it was only afterwards when I saw the replays that I realised what I’d done.”

“It’s something I regret and, if could go back in time, I’d make sure it didn’t happen.”

“But it did and all I can do now is work on my game and try and make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

Sadio is still at Newcastle.

59 responses so far ↓

• 1 Belfast // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:15 PM

You don’t know that though Tsunki. You just believe he’s a thug who enjoys hurting other players because he looks like a thug he he

• 2 manxpie // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:16 PM

mcmanaman doing the business belfast?
    on what evidence?
    the fact he can’t get in a west brom team or his shocking stats for that club i wont post them as you wouldn’t understand them ? and yes he is a shifty looking bugger who you wouldn’t trust to look after ya excrement

the point was though his kind of tackle doesn’t happen all of the time and he broke some young players leg previously with a supposed shocker
    his excuse was he just got too worked up before games
    thats his job ffs

a bus driver wouldn’t get away with the excuse of driving down a motorway the wrong way causing carnage and saying yeah i just get a bit worked up before getting in the cabin

he’s a thug and a shite footballer to boot so no i wouldn’t cheer him or want him here and i’d bet thousands would feel the same

• 3 JP...from The Rock // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:17 PM

With him signing training should be interesting. I don’t know too much about him apart feom the tackle but I think I was impressed by him a couple of times a season or so ago. Will do a Dennis Wise on him now to check.

• 4 Tsunki // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:19 PM

I know it Belfast. He looks shifty. I bet he has small hands. Smells of pineapple. I can tell from the photo.

“I thought I’d won the ball cleanly. I always stamp down on the ball with my studs to make sure I win it. It was only when somebody pointed out that the ball was in fact a leg in a sock that I realised what I’d done. That and watching the player I just raked getting carried off with an oxygen mask on and being followed by a priest”

• 5 Tsunki // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:20 PM

Yeah he should look mint in WiseVision.

• 6 manxpie // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:21 PM

when was it that toon fans wrecked a local wigan footy tournament was that after that challenge lol?

• 7 RolandoOverhead // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:23 PM

He’s a grafter with a nasty side to his game, and I don’t just mean the horror tackle on Hairdryer

• 8 firebug666 // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:24 PM

I don’t think McManaman should come here in any case, Not seen much of him (god must be good to me) except that challenge, but by what I’ve read tonight on here and twitter he is a repeat offender, a liability on the pitch, and dangerous to other players.

Bet he can upset the dressing room to, but what is really annoying is that if he comes here it will be to replace Haidara on the left.

Not keen on this deal, but if it happens lets hope Rafa can sort him out.

• 9 jimmysmith // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:25 PM

Thug, shite, he’s neither. He’s certainly good enough to be one of four wingers in the Championship, although probably not one of four in the Premiership, and for that reason he’s iffy.

• 10 Belfast // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:25 PM

He probably won’t sign anyway because the drama queens on twatter are probably planning a sit down protest and threatening to harm themselves if we sign him haha

• 11 Belfast // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:29 PM

He’s certainly better than most people are giving him credit for Jimmy. The other bloke Astu has done ferk all for 2-3 seasons and is been lauded as a great signing.

• 12 Fostino // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:31 PM

This guy had a good spell with Wigan few years ago. Same time he nearly ended haidira career early. He was a big threat on the left. Winger with pace and confidence to beat a man. Something we do need.

However hes had about 2 poor seasons since. He could well be a revelation in the championship though

• 13 firebug666 // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:32 PM

But then Gouffran has done ferk all for the last few season marra, and look at him now under Rafa’s leadership. It takes all sorts. McManaman may also flourish under Rafa….. unless he has a sudden rush of blood to his studs.

• 14 manxpie // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:33 PM

belfast 1 assist in his entire west brom career
    atsu did that in 2 games at bournmouth
    and for 5 mill we could do a lot better
    jimmy it was a thugs tackle no if’s or buts not 1 ounce of care for another player was taken

• 15 lesh // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:33 PM

Charnley’s worked his chuckies off this window. What a difference it’s made having somebody to make sure he did what he’s told! Maybe Rafa’ll let him have a couple of days off to catch his breath before January.

• 16 lesh // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:35 PM

Ffs, stop being such a pain. You’ve had nowt good to say about owt.

• 17 toon22 // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:37 PM

Dont want him,dont care if we need him others will have to fill the void.

On this one Rafas wrong,it will split the fans and the dressing room.

• 18 manxpie // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:49 PM

in the words of a fellow scouser

“Nothing to do with the scoreline an the fact it was a red but as a
    footballer it’s the definition of a ‘s***house tackle’.”

• 19 Belfast // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:54 PM

And In the words of another footballer Manxpie

Matt Le Tissier labels Aleksandar Mitrovic tackle “disgusting” & says he should he banned for 10 games

• 20 The overrated Frenchman // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:55 PM

toon22 – I think that’s right. I know if I was in the crowd I’ll boo the little prick every time he touched the ball. And would you kiss and make-up if you were Haidara? I’d have my studs in his flesh first time I got him on the training pitch. Every player has a bad tackle in him but his lack of apparent remorse was just pathetic. Him and that human oil-slick of a manager.

• 21 Belfast // Aug 29, 2016 at 11:59 PM

I don’t really get how it would split the dressing room 3 and 1/2 years later and with a major turnover of players like.

And the fans bit is easily solved really. Do the business and put the ball in the onion bag a few times and the dissenting voices will disappear.

• 22 Belfast // Aug 30, 2016 at 12:01 AM

Goodnight folks.:)

• 23 manxpie // Aug 30, 2016 at 12:04 AM

what were you saying about drama queens belfast? 🙂

• 24 manxpie // Aug 30, 2016 at 12:08 AM

and look at in real time its a stumble compared to the real time of mcmanamans
    would love to have seen his reaction to that one

• 25 ToonRich // Aug 30, 2016 at 12:21 AM

Would anyone take Wilshire???

• 26 manxpie // Aug 30, 2016 at 12:23 AM

toonrich we’ve just cleared the decks of sicknotes
    plus we could only pay 5 % of his wages
    pardew will be in for him tho

• 27 Graeme // Aug 30, 2016 at 12:30 AM

Why on earth would anyone take “Wheelchair” – The biggest sicknote in the history of sicknotes!!!

• 28 ToonRich // Aug 30, 2016 at 12:33 AM

haha!! Makes better talk than McManaman

• 29 manxpie // Aug 30, 2016 at 12:37 AM

just 1 more on mcmanaman

• 30 SPRINGY // Aug 30, 2016 at 12:46 AM

whats the crack with wilshire,has been told he can leave arsenal or something?…just assuming as why would he even mentioned for us.

• 31 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 30, 2016 at 12:47 AM

I would absolutely have a shot with Ravel Morrison. I read we were close to getting him before he went to West Ham.

This is well worth a watch. Ben Arfa-like skills throughout:

The lad is a footballing genius, albeit a loose cannon as well.

If Sir Bobby can manage Romario, Robert, and Bellamy, then if Rafa feels like he’s worth a crack, good on him.

Low potential downside as he’d just be moved on. Upside would be a phenomenal player when in the mood. With the size of our squad he wouldn’t be relied upon necessarily every week, so it would relieve some consistency pressure maybe.

• 32 ToonRich // Aug 30, 2016 at 12:49 AM

@springy…yes, Wengers told him to go play first team footy else where for this season. A loan may help us? He is talented when not injured :/

• 33 SPRINGY // Aug 30, 2016 at 12:54 AM

cant say mcmanaman would be my choice for the money there talking about…as for the whats happened with haidara,it was an absolute horror tackle,he apologised but the wigan owner and martinez were totally disgusting about the whole thing if memory serves me right,bad tackles happen in football..but this is’nt the reason why i would’nt sign him,i just dont think he’s worth more the 1-2m on current form,or there lack of.

• 34 SPRINGY // Aug 30, 2016 at 1:00 AM

toon rich
    cheers mate never caught up on the footy banter today….like a lot the players we’ve had lately,is a decent player but never able to get a run of games out of him….no doubt wenger would want him playing every game and if he’s going to be in and out of the side thru injuries that could be disruptive to team…sounds daft but not for me, if thats the case.

• 35 jimmysmith // Aug 30, 2016 at 1:06 AM

Morrison has baggage, but so had Shelvey, who Rafa has seemingly sorted out. They are both potential England regulars, and Morrison genuinely gifted. Definitely like to see him sign, particularly as we could use a player to compete with Perez in the number ten role, more so if Sissoko leaves, and as an alternative to the power and running of Diame. It seems a good opportunity for both player and club if legit, and he’s certainly a more interesting proposition than Mcmanaman or the crocked Brentford lad.

• 36 manxpie // Aug 30, 2016 at 1:16 AM

morrison has had thee greatest possible opportunities in football and its not his talent that has held him back
    i hope it would only be a loan if we did get him but also another character that could upset our push to go up so big gamble

• 37 SPRINGY // Aug 30, 2016 at 1:17 AM

laurent robert 32
    morrisons a gifted footballer but if he’s not playing looks like he’s high maintenance,stroppy and disruptive,he may well of grew up and become more level headed…but would take a manager and a club some big brass ones to give this lad a contract….loan deal would be perfect,get him in see what his attitudes like,and what he has to offer.

• 38 Novocastrian66 // Aug 30, 2016 at 1:19 AM

The whole McManaman episode left a sour taste which is not easy to wash away. I can’t remember him showing any remorse or regret. He is a talented player but there is something off with him and we should steer well clear.
    Similarly Morrison appears to be trouble Again there’s no doubting his ability however he has hardly kicked a ball for Lazio and there isn’t a huge queue of clubs chasing his signature, for all his talent. There’s something not right with him and again we should stay away.

• 39 SPRINGY // Aug 30, 2016 at 1:22 AM

just read burke from forest has gone to leipzig in germany for 13m… this true?

• 40 one fine day // Aug 30, 2016 at 1:22 AM

Callum McManaman ?
    no thanks
    A thug who martinez defended after a sickening hatch job on haidara which has almost ended the kids career (was looking very promising up to then and has yet to recover fully .
    I remember at the time a very similar incident involving him in the man city reserves or youth team .
    There are clumsy tackles and late tackles .
    He set out to injure the guy badly pure and simple .
    It wasnt even a “hardmans” tackle either it was one of those cheap cowards challenges when he knew exactly what he was doing .
    He is the sort of cattermolesque type than those gimps down the road love .
    Much better out there than a guy struggling to get into a west brow side

• 41 SPRINGY // Aug 30, 2016 at 1:29 AM

one fine day
    with chadli going to west brom tonight,if its going to happen i would expect to hear about it tomorrow…cant say he excites me tbh.

• 42 one fine day // Aug 30, 2016 at 1:41 AM

Laurent Robert 32 @ 18
    Great clip
    The run from midfield and finish against spurs does have Benny written all over it .
    Has baggage but unlike the affor mentioned has talent to burn and so is worth a loan to see if he can sort himself out/ grow up under rafa
    Could be that creative spark we currently lack to unlock the bus parkers and a player who can draw defenders in to make more space for others

• 43 ilovetoon8788 // Aug 30, 2016 at 1:42 AM

What’s the useless sisokko doing at our club still? I can’t wait for that lazy unprofessional lard to get out of our club by tomorrow.

• 44 one fine day // Aug 30, 2016 at 1:44 AM

yes will be a nervous 24 hours what with him and le sulk to deal with

• 45 one fine day // Aug 30, 2016 at 1:47 AM

He is currently holed up in some Paris suburb frantically trying to photo shop a old palace shirt onto a pic of him as kid to s how his” dream” club bla bla .
    Will make my day if he ends up there .

• 46 SPRINGY // Aug 30, 2016 at 1:48 AM

there will be allsorts toys and dummys been thrown out of sulkyholes pram over next day or 2

• 47 Essex Geordie Bill // Aug 30, 2016 at 2:04 AM

Nobody wanted Joey Barton, (including me) but he turned out to be a Toon hero.

Can’t say that I’m enthusiastic over the prospect of signing McNanaman but would it be a form of redemption if he did sign for us and was instrumental in the rise of the Toon to glory.

By the way is he related to the ex LPool player.

My only post today as it’s way past my bedtime so hello and goodnight.

• 48 Ian Toon // Aug 30, 2016 at 2:14 AM

I am a big fan of Jack Wilshere but not in favour of him joining the toon on loan. His playing time stats suggest a further stalling of his career is more than likely. They really are very telling and he will attract constant unwanted media attention. Benitez will be attracted because a fit Wilshere would provide the creativity that we’ve lacked.
    I thought Hughton was right when he described our game as efficient – I would add functional.

Anyway this is what Opta indicate on Jack in seasons past – in 2010-11 there were 35 appearances by Jack Wilshere; in 2011-12 there no appearances; in 2012-13 there were 25 appearances; in 2013-14 there were 24 appearances; in 2014-15 there were 14 appearances; in 2015-16 there were just three appearances.

From 2,650 minutes on the pitch five seasons ago, as one of the most exciting English talents for many years, Wilshere has registered just 4,325 minutes in total and the trajectory of that graph has headed ever downwards.

He’s completed a full 90 minutes in the Premier League just once since the start of 2014-15 and has, been taken off in nine of the last 10 matches he has started. This is not recovery. He is for me a special player but not worth the risk as the Euro’s episode signified.

• 49 Novocastrian66 // Aug 30, 2016 at 2:14 AM

Joey Barton is no hero of mine. Not sure I know anyone who put him in that category.

• 50 jimmysmith // Aug 30, 2016 at 2:51 AM

Wilshere wouldn’t entertain the notion, I’m sure.

• 51 Sliema // Aug 30, 2016 at 4:06 AM

I’d certainly take Jack Wilshire on loan, he’s far higher quality than we currently have and would really cement our season. Not a chance he’d join us though. 🙁

• 52 HarriboNo9 // Aug 30, 2016 at 4:20 AM

Re Post

I came on here to write about Achraf Lazaar when I seen your message about him, I agree with you he has a great turn, but disagree that his crosses aren’t good, I actually think he has an amazing cross. Not just because he’s morroccon but I think he is a defensive marhez we have signed I honestly love this player and is going to be player of the season I truly believe. He is exactly what we need and if we need to be more defensive in games then we start Dummett. Rafa has done a tremendous job bringing in the exact players we need for the championship and without a doubt we will be in the top 4 come end of season lets just hope it’s 1st or 2nd.
    My biggest worry is half of our squad aren’t good enough if we do get promoted which means that is a lot of people to get rid of. There’s no way we could be a top 8 team in prem league if we weren’t to sign 6plus players when promoted. Does anyone agree with this or do you think our squad would be prem material next season if we go up ?

• 53 nut meg // Aug 30, 2016 at 5:43 AM

Barton didn’t do serious damage to one of our players… but McManaman certainly did ! If he does end up here he’s got a bit of a mountain to climb to win over the toon army and that’s never a easy thing to do.

• 54 Lindisfarne // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:10 AM

If there was a vote on this potential player and I could be bothered, I would vote ‘No’ to buying him.

• 55 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:45 AM

I like the look of this team which is on another site. It includes McManaman. Loving the fact we now have competition for places and the balance is almost complete throughout the squad. I’d take him.

• 56 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:50 AM

Atsu did get 1 assist in his 2 games at Bournemouth, but it was against Hartlepool in the league cup. They didn’t even use him in the league once.

I’d prefer Mcmanaman to Atsu, but can’t say with any conviction I’d want either. Atsu seems to have done okay abroad, but when on loan in England has barely got a look in, and at 24, you would have expected him to have featured for Chelsea at least once or twice.

McManaman has made a few nasty challenges through his career, the one on Haidara being the main sticking point for most Newcastle fans. I wouldn’t not sign a player cause of that though. He is a decent Championship player and can cover both wings plus through the middle, has experience and will buy in to the hard work ethos Rafa is trying to build within the team and squad.

He isn’t being picked by Pulis at West Brom, but then Pulis didn’t pick Gayle either when at Palace – he only started 2 games. Pulis doesn’t play the same way as Rafa, and that may be the issue for Mcmanaman there, rather than ability.

Like I say though, I wouldn’t want either, but we are running short on time, and we still are very short on wingers and creativity. If we are in talks with them, then it is highly likely that both will arrive.

• 57 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:57 AM

Is this the RAFA factor…..

The agent of Achraf Lazaar has told the Italian media Fiorentina had an agreement with Palermo to sign the defender, but he turned this down to join Newcastle United. At the weekend the 24-year-old joined the Championship side after Newcastle United’s late interest in the Morocco international.

TMW have reported on comments agent Andrea Cattoli made to TV station SportItalia when he was asked about Lazaar’s decision to join Newcastle United. Cattoli said despite the agreement with Fiorentina he and the player flew to England once they knew of the interest from the North East side.

Next 24/36 hours I think we will bring in a signing as part of Sissoko deal
    or Sissoko will stay at least to Christmas and play his part in the Championship – feeling RAFA likes him

• 58 toonincheek // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:08 AM

I can still close my eyes and see that horrendous
    tackle and I reckon the majority of fans feel the same.

He would NOT get a good reception.

Even if he had done well over the last few years,
    I would still say NO, but he hasn’t, so it’s a NO
    on both counts.

• 59 hibbitt // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:09 AM

if it was my choice which its not i would go all in for Knockaert him and Ritchie would dominate teams in the championship both 100% team players

previous post: Success – 12th Newcastle Signing To Have Medical Tomorrow