The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Barnsley Announce Adam Armstrong On Loan Through January

6:34 pm, Tuesday, August 30th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 130 Comments

Barnsley have just announced the signing of top young Newcastle United striker Adam Armstrong on loan until January, 2017.

We thought he was moving to a Championship club this morning but we thought that was going to be Rotherham United – but we were wrong about that one.

However, it’s good that Adam is moving to a Championship club after having a great loan spell at League One club Coventry last season when he knocked in 20 goals in just 40 appearances.

adam armstrong loan barnsley

Adam Armstrong with Barnsley manager Paul Heckingbottom

Here’s some of what Barnsley have just announced:

The Reds fought off a whole host of suitors for the prolific goal scoring talent and we are delighted to welcome him to Oakwell.

The strikers stunning ability to finish has seen him score a complete range of goals from close-range finishes inside the area, to long distance strikes.

He has the talent to use both feet when taking chances, as well as the ability to springboard off the floor to score headers.

A hugely successful loan spell at Coventry City in League One last season saw the striker net 20 goals in 40 appearances!

Having come through the Newcastle United academy, Armstrong is highly rated in the game and has represented England at international level across multiple age groups, scoring a huge amount of goals in the process.

Armstrong has been capped 36 times for England between the age ranges of the Under 16s to the Under 19s, scoring an incredible 23 goals in a glittering start to his career.

Adam has played 36 times for various England Youth sides with those 23 goals.

When we announced it was Rotherham earlier today, that was OK because they were a not a threat for promotion at 4th bottom of the league, but Barnsley are 3rd top at the moment – one place above Newcastle on goal difference.

So Adam will be playing in a good team – but of course he will not be allowed to play against us – and initially the loan deal is only through January and Rafa has the option of recalling him then.

It’s an excellent move for the young Newcastle striker, who has enormous potential and of course is a local lad from Chapel House estate.

Tags: Adam Armstrong · Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Other News

130 responses so far ↓

• 1 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 6:39 PM

That’s more like it! Much better than Rotherham if he gets lots of playing time.

• 2 StuW // Aug 30, 2016 at 6:40 PM

Good move for him. And a great tactical move fromantic Rafael. ..If he finds the net like he did at Coventry, he will take points from other teams in the division for us.

• 3 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 6:42 PM

I think they’re panicking over there on the Eagle’s Beak. They’ve never had two comments submitted in the same day before!!!

• 4 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 6:43 PM

You lot should go over and look at The Eagle’s Beak. It’s a very posh Blog. Crystal Palace do it up right…..

• 5 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 6:49 PM

I’m providing aid and comfort in difficult times to the Palace supporters. They seem a bit down for some reason. Colour me puzzled.

• 6 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 6:50 PM

This is one of my comforting comments:
    Don’t worry about the slow start under Parsnip lads. Wor Alan likes to start slow and then grind to a complete stop by late November!

• 7 Jib // Aug 30, 2016 at 6:51 PM

• 8 toonincheek // Aug 30, 2016 at 6:53 PM

I thought I had seen that loan deals that prevented
    the player playing against his home club had been stopped.
    So – is this in his loan contract, or is it just being assumed?

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 6:53 PM

Heckingbottom using his North East connections to push through deals at both NUFC and Boro in the last couple of hours. They also have Ryan Kent on loan from Liverpool who linked well with Arma at Coventry last year.

Not really sure on Heckingbottom’s credentials as a coach or manager, he seems to have had a pretty good success rate as a caretaker before taking the job in the summer, and was previously the clubs development manager.

Seems a reasonable fit. Let’s hope it works out for Arma, the last thing we need is for it to not go well and Arma be stuck there till Jan as you can’t recall loan players between windows anymore.

• 10 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 6:59 PM

Will Arma get enough playing time though? He has to keep improving in the next couple of seasons. We’ll be in the Prem next season after all….. (sly grin)

• 11 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 6:59 PM

Jib,
    Shame Markovic isn’t a target. He is by far the classiest winger we have been linked with. Yes, things haven’t gone quite to plan at Liverpool. Not sure how the scouters feel about him, I’ve seen some mixed reports, with some saying he has never been given a fair chance, some saying he has shown moments of class, and others saying he is a waste of space.

Still, the guy is a year younger than Perez, 2 younger than Atsu, and has more potential than both. He may or may not deliver on it, unlikely if he stays at Liverpool only to be loaned out, but I would certainly be happy with taking a chance on him. Could have been beneficial to Mitro as well given their Partizan connections. Never mind.

Has Atsu been confirmed yet? Any idea what the hold up is? I’d prefer McManaman to Atsu, but if we get both then it would round out the squad nicely, even if neither are particularly exciting signings.

• 12 SUTTY1978 // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:00 PM

I would happily take Conor Hourihane off them in exchange. Quality player at this level.

• 13 SUTTY1978 // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:01 PM

And we’re all over ex Macklemore these days so makes sense all round.

• 14 SUTTY1978 // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:01 PM

Macklemore = Mackems!

• 15 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:02 PM

G2,
    No guarantees, but I’m fairly sure that will have been high up on the requirements for the team that took him. Looking at their goalscorers in the Championship so far, only 1 of their 11 goals has been by a striker, so it would suggest Heckingbottom believes that he needs more firepower there, and Arma will provide it.

• 16 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:02 PM

Well the lads over on The Eagle’s Beak certainly seem to be enjoying my comments. Although they are all still awaiting moderation. I wonder how long that takes. They could be relegated soon and I want them to have our advice before that happens……

• 17 WWSBRD // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:04 PM

Prove urself in there son then we will see what u can do in a Town shirt if needs be after Jan

• 18 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:04 PM

Sutty,
    Speaking of Mackems, a cheeky bid for Watmore would give us an young wide man who looks to have a lot of promise! Doubt they’d sell him, but maybe a straight swap for Sissoko. After all, Sissoko has always dreamed of pulling on the red and white of Sunderland. Plus Sissoko would put in a similar amount of fort for them as he did for us, and that would contribute to their demise this season….

• 19 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:05 PM

I just offered Palace a deal for John Carver for some cash and players. I think they’ll take it!

• 20 lesh // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:06 PM

Springy

You’ll have to be very very good and hope that Santa delivers your bet on Christmas eve.

• 21 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:06 PM

*effort – not fort. Unless it is ‘fort’ (thought) in the same way Pardew would say ‘fret’ (threat), as he doesn’t do much of that either….

• 22 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:07 PM

Eagle’s Beak! Eagle’s Beak!

• 23 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:10 PM

The Eagle’s Beak is so quiet I’m having to reply to my own comments!

• 24 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:16 PM

For some reason the Palace lot don’t seem keen on advice from us???

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:23 PM

Lilongwe,
    If we went off fans opinions of players who were and weren’t given chances, Danny Simpson would be playing for Dagenham and Marveaux would be keeping Neymar out of the Barcelona team

• 26 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Jail,
    Yeah, but we all have them with varying degrees of bias. The Liverpool comments I’ve read seem a mixed bag on Markovic. Given how young he still is, I’d certainly be willing to take a chance on him fulfilling the potential he has. I’m probably a touch bias here though, as I was following him with interest whilst he was at Partizan, and would have liked to see us move for him then.

Burke’s transfer from Forest to RB Leipzig got me thinking about another young Scotsman who moved abroad whilst being labelled as a huge talent for the future, Ryan Gauld. He was in Sporting’s B team last year, and has been sent on loan to Setubal this year. Will be interesting to see how he fares.

• 27 JP...from The Rock // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Where in the hell has Astu gone!?? Another announcement that’s taking ages Zzzzzzzz… Anyone know whats up?

• 28 WWSBRD // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:38 PM

Lil
    Why would u prefer CM to Atsu?

• 29 SUTTY1978 // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:38 PM

So, is anyone going to come in for Sissoko? Would be really nice if Spurs do want him, hold them to Ransom, they do it to everyone else at the end of every transfer window. I’m never sure how they always seem to be able to sell high when a player is a flop.
    Tony Pulis is a big fan of buying overpriced players from Spurs, got to wonder if there’s some backhanders.
    Also, I see Pardew & co were entertaining the boys from Mondial at their last match. Those boys love the brown envelope as our Mr Carr knows all too well.

• 30 WWSBRD // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:39 PM

JP
    Haha u are a right nervous sort mate

• 31 SUTTY1978 // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Lil, it’s only Mackem failures we go for, Watmore hasn’t crumbled yet, we’ll snap him up from Leyton Orient later in his career!

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:42 PM

JP,
    I read somewhere yesterday the delay was over the agreed fee to make the loan permanent. You would have expected that to be ironed out by now, but maybe not. Maybe Chelsea want a clause making it permanent if he plays ‘x’ amount of games, particularly if we want a lowish price attached. Or they want a higher price then we are willing to agree, but there would be no automatic clause after a certain number of games.

I’d imagine it will be signed and sealed, unless the journalists have been barking up the wrong tree all along, as there don’t seem to be any sightings of him (that I’ve noticed) and he was supposedly flying in today.

• 33 manxpie // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:44 PM

Surely sisko will be staying now as everything rafa has said so far has been true so unless there is a huge last minute desperate bid he’ll be staying

• 34 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:47 PM

WWSBRD,
    I think he is better suited to us at this stage. Atsu has failed to do well on either of his loans to English clubs, and at 24 is still to even make an appearance for Chelsea.

McManaman has had it rough since joining West Brom and Pulis, but he came from a side that passed the ball about and played attacking football. It was never going to be easy adapting to the his way, and he clearly hasn’t managed to. I don’t think that is a reason to write him off though. Pulis only gave Gayle 2 starts at Palace.

There is the temperament issue, and certainly the Haidara tackle to take into consideration, but I think he provides better back up, and would be prepared to work harder than Atsu for the team, making him a good understudy to Ritchie, or a decent option on the left or through the middle.

I wouldn’t want either in an ideal world, and as a squad member, CM has value for at least the next couple of years.

• 35 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:56 PM

Top clubs wouldn’t bat an eyelid at a £35million price tag on a genuinely Champions League quality midfielder. The fact nobody is willing to spend it means that nobody (except Sissoko) believes he is that.

Will Rafa accept a lower bid? I personally hope so, but it would be a big climb down from his stance all summer. I think that it will likely take a face saving bid which sees some form of player exchange to mask the actual figures involved to get him now.

Which means Rafa has to start to reintegrate him. Sissoko said over the weekend he had been mainly training away from the first team, except for the odd small drill. It will take all of Rafa’s man management skills to deal with this situation, if it arises.

Where would he play Sissoko? Certainly not ahead of Ritchie. Off Gayle or Mitro as a number 10? On the left wing? Drop Hayden or Shelvey? Number 10 looks the most likely, but he isn’t the type of player that will bring the best out of Gayle in that role.

Still, if Rafa can get his head in a good place, then he can be an asset for us, and if he has any sense he will give it everything, à la Cabaye, to earn a big move in January.

• 36 WWSBRD // Aug 30, 2016 at 7:57 PM

Lil
    Why would CM be prepared to work harder than Atsu?

• 37 JP...from The Rock // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:02 PM

WWSBRD- haha yeh I guess so lol I hate waiting for these sort of things.

Lil- Thanks for the heads up. It does seem strange that no one has seen him around. Hope there is no block to his move. I would like us to get McManaman in aswell as ideally we should have 4 wingers. 2 fighting for a place in each side. Right now we have Aarons, Ritchie, Lazaar can play there but is a LB as he himself confessed. So really we should get 2 wingers to be completely covered.

• 38 JP...from The Rock // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Just seen this:

Still that’s one hell of a long medical! Lol

• 39 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:07 PM

WWSBRD,
    Atsu isn’t particularly a grafter. I’ve mainly seen him for the Ghana national team, but hard work isn’t his forté. McManaman has always (whenever I’ve seen him) worked hard for his team and teammates.

Maybe Atsu will come with a completely different attitude from what I have seen in him previously, maybe McManaman would, but I’m basing it on what I’ve seen of both, which is all I can do until he proves or doesn’t prove otherwise.

• 40 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:09 PM

That is another thing with Atsu. He will almost certainly be away for 6weeks come January, just when the fixture period has been congested and squads are heavily stretched.

• 41 WWSBRD // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:13 PM

JP
    Haha can tell mate! Pretty sure it’s sorted though just waiting to announce, Lazaar took awhile too

Lil
    Fair enough mate I’ve not seen much of Atsu but players with that much pace are rarely able to be grafters (and tbh nor should they because it takes away their main asset…same with Sissoko imo)

But I don’t rate CM at all poor player I’d have Sammy ahead of him

• 42 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:13 PM

@soccer_sauce
    Hearing that Atsu and Mcmanaman are both officially #NUFC players…

Be pretty good if we signed both which would mean we actually had some depth out wide for a change !

Although a bit worrying we seem to have a lot of players who could be away at AFCON…..

• 43 Ron Knee // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:15 PM

Sterry to go out on loan?

• 44 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:25 PM

Very interesting comments on here today. I’m learning a lot. Still, I’ve got a lot of work to do on that Palace blog as well. They certainly need a lot of help!

• 45 WWSBRD // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:26 PM

Tbf we can buy again come January and potentially a better quality aswell when we are 20 points clear at the top

• 46 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:28 PM

WWSBRD,
    Poor player is harsh. His career has stalled, but he could be an effective squad member at this level.

I did qualify my earlier comments by saying I wasn’t keen on either mind. Neither are going to be part of the type of Prem squad that we hope Rafa has in plan, but if he does okay I doubt there would be a shortage of takers in the Championship or lower Prem next summer or the one after.

• 47 welshgeordie9 // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:29 PM

Happy BIrthday to me
    Happy Birthday to me
    Happy Birthday dear welshie
    Happy Bithday to me

Right lets finish off my drinking session

• 48 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:30 PM

Ron,
    Is that a question, or has it been rumoured somewhere?

I think it is probably best for him to get more exposure elsewhere. We have Gamez, Anita and Yedlin who can play there. Mbemba can always move across if things get really desperate.

• 49 check the toastie // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:31 PM

Just for a moment pretend Sulksokko wasn’t on our books.

He may stay, hope he does as it can’t be a bad thing helping getting us promoted, better being here than elsewhere, he is better than Atsu or Macscalliwag that’s for sure.

look to the future not the past.

• 50 Ron Knee // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:33 PM

Lilo

It’s the Gospel according to Lee Ryder:-

Understand that Jamie Sterry set for loan deal. Coventry City interested #NUFC

• 51 WWSBRD // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:33 PM

Lil
    I don’t think it’s harsh though mate also not sure his career stalled it’s just what a career for a poor player is

Was average for a below average team then couldn’t make it into another average team. He might prove me wrong but I hope he doesn’t get the chance too

• 52 WWSBRD // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:35 PM

Lascelles has wished Armstrong and Sterry good luck on their loans

• 53 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:38 PM

Ron,
    Ah, Lee Ryder. When Ryder makes statement you can take that to the bank….

WWSBRD,
    Fair enough, He is far from great, but given the position we are in I think he is an okay signing, albeit not one that I see having a long term impact at the club, but just for this season. I’d have preferred sights set a bit higher then these 2, but the we have left it very late in the window to go after the players for this position, and probably don’t have a lot of options within budgets.

• 54 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:41 PM

At least 2 players per position…

Gk Sels Darlow Elliot

Rb Gamez Yedlin
    Cb Lascelles Mbemba Clarke Hanley
    LB Lazaar Dummet

Dmf/Cmf Shelvey Hayden Colback anita

RM/W Ritchie Bananaman
    Am/10 Diame Atsu
    LM/W Perez Gouffran

Cf Gayle Mitro Murphy

I know it wont quite work that way (Anita will probably play games at RB) but thats basically 2 full teams there and there are other unmentioned players besides.

• 55 Belfast // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:42 PM

I was nearly right when I said Ipswich ha

Same league at least.

• 56 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Many happy returns, Welshie. Whats your chosen poison for tonights session?

• 57 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:45 PM

Happy Birthday Welshie! All the best.

• 58 Jib // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:46 PM

To the member for Malawi

• 59 welshgeordie9 // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:46 PM

YouCouldn’tMakeItUp

Thanks mate, I’m on my fourth pint of Stella.

• 60 welshgeordie9 // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Lilongwe Geordie

Cheers mate.

• 61 WWSBRD // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:49 PM

Lil
    If CM comes in then I will just have to trust Rafa mate

Interesting view on Atsu though I don’t know much about him tbh other than he’s struggled in previous loans and he’s quick

• 62 welshgeordie9 // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:50 PM

What way to finish my Birthday by hoping we get at least 2 in tommorow and to end it in what’s been a fantastic window.

• 63 Jib // Aug 30, 2016 at 8:57 PM

Although Olympiacos are favourites to land Tioté – there are two unnamed Russian clubs interested.

• 64 Tsunki // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:01 PM

Does that mean you are legally allowed to order a pint in a pub now Welshie?

• 65 SUTTY1978 // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:01 PM

Think we will struggle to move some of these players on if we get promoted. We will just have another bunch of players that aren’t suitable for the premier league on long term contracts.
    Pulis has been trying to offload CM since May and no takers, why would there be any more takers when we try to get rid of him ( that’s obviously if we sign him)?
    Can’t imagine many takers for a 34 year old Murphy who has (hopefully) spent the entire season on the bench.

• 66 Tsunki // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Belfast your powers of Prediction are astounding…..ly bad ha ha. Day job mate, day job.

• 67 beautifulmind // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:04 PM

This could be our next team line up
    Sels
    Yedlin lascelles Mbemba Lazaar
    Ritchie Diame Shelvey Sissoko
    Mitrovic Gayle

I would be happy with that

• 68 SUTTY1978 // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:04 PM

Anyone seen that Stoke are getting Bruno Martins Indi in on loan. Why the hell would Porto loan him out? Has looked class when I’ve seen him.

• 69 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:08 PM

Sutty,
    I’m not sure Murphy has been signed with the intention of him being moved on prior to his contract finishing. I’d imagine he is inexpensive experienced back up that will do for now.

If Mcmanaman plays a decent amount of games for us, and does okay, I’m sure there will be takers at a similar price to what we pay (c.£4/5million I’d imagine). Alternatively he remains as back up for a year or two, depending on his contract.

It is a bit early to be worrying about next summers outgoings though!

• 70 Jib // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:10 PM

Sutty
    perhaps something to do with the PL being way above the Primeira Liga in quality.

• 71 beautifulmind // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:11 PM

or
    Sels
    Yedlin Lascelles Mbemba Lazaar
    Sissoko Hayden Shelvey
    Ritchie Gayle Diame

Theres quite a good few options with a solid bench and cover. Happy days

• 72 SUTTY1978 // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:14 PM

Lil, I just see a lot of people excusing poor signings by saying we will get rid of them next summer and they are only here to get us promoted. Same with players like Clark, he’s already proved he’s not good enough for the premier league but we’ve given him a 5 year deal.

• 73 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:16 PM

Beautifulmind

Or if Rafa sticks to his 4231

———–sels
    Yedlin–mbem–lasc–lazaar
    ——-shelv–hayden
    Ritchie—Diame—-Perez
    ———-Gayle

And each one of those positions has options, even if it isnt stellar quality, it is at least adiquate.
    Like you said, happy days.

• 74 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:22 PM

Sutty,
    I see most of the signings as step ups on what we had last year within the squad, and solid potential back ups if we upgrade on players next summer.

I guess it depends on who you are viewing as poor from the signings. Gayle, Ritchie Yedlin can all do a job in the Prem, and would all be okay with competition for their spot. Hanley would be a decent Prem 4th choice. Gamez is experienced and looks to be providing cover more than anything, also meant to be a strong character and a leader, so useful around the squad. Diame has done it in the Prem before, and again, would probably be okay fighting for a place. Hayden has potential to progress, time will tell. I know little of Lazaar so can’t comment.

Murphy is a cheap experienced back up, and won’t expect to be anything more.

Clark and Sels would appear the odd ones so far. But Sels was highly rated, so could improve once settled.

Atsu is a loan deal potentially and McManaman is another who provides experienced cover on both flanks and a player who can do a job if required.

I’d imagine quite a few of these become squad back up next year if we go up and Rafa spends and signs again.

• 75 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:23 PM

I think, without us having a world beating squad, we do now have a very strong Championship squad, and i wont write all of them off as not good enough for the premiership yet, we never know how players might develop.

• 76 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:23 PM

Happy Birthday to welshie
    Happy Birthday to youuuuuu!
    Happy Birthday to welshie
    He’s a Toon man through and throuuuugh!

• 77 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:24 PM

We should have had a cake…..

• 78 SUTTY1978 // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:24 PM

Jib,

So how does that make sense? You loan out one of your best players to a club with more money than you in a better league. I don’t get how Porto benefit. Ok there may be a reasonable loan fee but so what, if they don’t want him they could probably sell him for £20m min. If they do want him then why loan him?

• 79 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:25 PM

Do you mean Murphy’s cheap in a flirty, trampy kind of way Lilo mate?

• 80 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:25 PM

G2

Yaya Toure didn’t get a cake. He cried.

• 81 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:27 PM

I know YCMIU mate. And I’m worried that’s what’s going to happen with welshie……

• 82 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:28 PM

G2,
    Well, he did spend some time in Sunderland, so……

• 83 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Did I mention I’ve been helping out over on the Eagle’s Beak? They don’t seem to know what to do with me.

• 84 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:31 PM

Ah yes. I’d forgotten aboot that Lilo mate. He always had a smirk on his mug when he came oot of the shower…….

• 85 SUTTY1978 // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:31 PM

Lil, yep, all seems reasonable to me. Who knows what will happen I the season anyway, we may well not go up, in which case we will have a team full of players with a year of championship football behind them for the next season!
    If it wasn’t for the cash and the lack of TV coverage I’d be happy enough staying in the championship. It’s enjoyable to be winning games again and you get to play against teams with real supporters rather than glory hunters.

• 86 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:35 PM

Sutty,
    The Championship is a killer for me. Even our sky and BT games aren’t necessarily shown over here unfortunately, whereas when we were in the Prem I’d be able to watch most games on TV over here.

There is too much cash in the game though, I’ve lost a lot of interest over the last couple of years in football at the top end, and much prefer watching grassroots type stuff. Last season I probably watched less matches than I’ve ever watched, I’d always watch us, but a few years ago I’d watch every game on TV, last season I’d maybe catch a couple a month that weren’t us.

• 87 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:37 PM

To me, we look good now. We look very good. Some of the clubs down here in the Champs won’t know what hit them. We get the chance to beat Wolves twice in a row as well. Beautiful.

• 88 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:37 PM

G2

Just had a look at the eagles beak. There doesnt seem to be much in the way of fan comments. They are lucky to get 1 comment per article.

• 89 Jib // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:38 PM

Sutty
    loans are ostensibly to improve a player
    Indi is hardly likely to become a class left back playing against:-

Moreirense
    Rio Ave
    Belenenses
    Feirense
    Arouca
    Marítimo
    Chaves
    Pacos Ferreira
    Tondela
    Nacional
    Estoril Praia

The bottom 11 clubs in La Primeira Liga

Talking of Stoke

Rafa is weighing up a bid for Joselu !

• 90 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:38 PM

I tend to watch the lower teams Lilo mate. I much prefer a decent match between two hard working teams in the Prem than watching a bunch of overpaid egomaniacs prancing about with ManU or Chelski.

• 91 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:40 PM

Agreed YCMIU mate! And all of my helpful comments are still in moderation! Can you believe that? They haven’t let a single one through yet and that was hours ago. I’ve a good mind to send them a wellie……

• 92 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:43 PM

G2,
    The only Prem game I’ve watched so far this season is Liverpool Arsenal. Partly cause I coach at weekends or help run youth tournaments, but also just cause it has all got a bit absurd. £100million for a player, £300,000 a week. When a player like Iheanacho is demanding c.£200,000 a week, which would still leave him the second lowest paid player that appeared more than 10 times last season for City, it is time for a rethink.

• 93 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:43 PM

Nobody sends a wellie like I do lads.

• 94 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:44 PM

Spot on Lilo. I’ve been banging on about that for several years now. It’s destroying the game at the top. Too much money pouring into the Prem. We don’t even get a decent number of English players in the various squads! No wonder the national team is so poor! Harrumph!!!

• 95 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:45 PM

Jib

While not exactly prolific for stoke,he has approximately 1 goal in 3 games over his career so far. Do we need a fourth striker?

• 96 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:47 PM

G2,
    The national team is poor for different reasons though. A large part is to do with the mentality in England at youth level, and the pressure young players are put under to perform. Not to mention every FA Suit for the last 20 years always looking for a quick fix during their tenure so they get the glory, rather than focussing on a longer term plan to develop the game and restructure.

• 97 SUTTY1978 // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:51 PM

Jib, he’s more of a CB than LB but that’s not really relevant. He’s the best CB Porto have, It would be like us loaning Mbemba out.

• 98 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:51 PM

But Big Sam is going to fix all that Lilo isn’t he mate?

• 99 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:53 PM

Great to see all the signings come in. Rafa is getting the best he can in for this season.

Will we get a CAM in to compete with Diame? Or will we use what we have?

• 100 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:55 PM

Interestingly, Joselu played twice in two years for Real Madrid, and scored in both games, yet they never even entertained the idea of giving him a run in the side.

Not many Real strikers could boast a 100% record 😀

• 101 Jib // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:55 PM

He would actually be a fifth
    Perez Gayle Murphy Mitrovic

• 102 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:56 PM

Lr32

I think Atsu might be earmarked as a possible ACM. Apparently one of his previous clubs used him there primarily.

• 103 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:57 PM

G2,
    I think Sam is probably a decent appointment. Functional and can set teams up – that is a large part of what it takes these days, just look at the Euro’s. It might not be pretty, but he is thick skinned enough to not let that worry him.

England under Sam will be organised and hard to beat. A far more dangerous proposition in tournament football than they have been under the last few coaches.

If you have the players to be able to play good football, but also have that functionality and organisation then great, Germany are about as close to this as any team at the moment.

• 104 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:58 PM

Jib

Technically a fifth, i suppose, but I see Perez being used more often in a supporting role as one of the three behind. He did a stwrling job leading the line at the weekend, but imo it isnt his strength.

• 105 SUTTY1978 // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:00 PM

LR32, we may still have Sissoko to play there if nothing materialises in the next 24 hours

• 106 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:00 PM

I think I may have to find another Palace blog. I may have broken the Eagle’s Beak…..

• 107 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:03 PM

That sounds hopeful for England then Lilo. I’ll be watching with interest. You’ve chosen well doing the youth work mate.

• 108 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:06 PM

G2,
    Try Hltco (Hopkin looking to curl one in). That is the Palace blog I’d come across in the past because it used to go off on rants about the Mag whenever they had a pop at Pardew! Not many comments again though I’m afraid…..

• 109 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:06 PM

YouCouldn’t, yes, I thought Atsu may do that job as well, especially if McManamanamanamanamana has come in for a wide role.

Sutty, that’s the thing, will Rafa play him or leave him out? He’s doing some training with the first team but for the main sessions he’s not with them, apparently.

• 110 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:07 PM

G2,
    It’s a short term fix for England, but an appointment at that level will always be more short term. It is the rest of the FA that need to implement new long term development structures.

• 111 Sazzer // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:08 PM

George Caulkin
    Looks like McManaman to #Nufc won’t now happen. May be to do with *possibility* of Sissoko staying, player also has other options.

• 112 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:09 PM

LR32,
    If Sissoko stays then he definitely comes back into the fold and is given the opportunity to show he can do a job. Whether he takes the opportunity is a different matter.

• 113 SUTTY1978 // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:09 PM

Seems strange to me that no team has tried to sign Will Grigg. Cracking goal return last year in league one, started in the same vein this year in the championship. Wigan are not exactly rolling in it so would struggle to turn down a decent offer. would probably go for about the same as we paid for Murphy

• 114 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:11 PM

I seem to have found a nice blog to settle into with Palace. It’s called HLTCO. Looking very promising lads. I think I can do wonders for them.

• 115 Sazzer // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Atsu deal is done:

• 116 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:13 PM

What happens if Sissy is a flop in the Champs with us? It makes me shudder to think of it. Possibly we could send him oot on loan to Partick Thistle?

• 117 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:14 PM

Lilo, that’d be my guess as well. Rafa will play Sissoko. He says he likes him as a man and a player he said. I reckon there’ll be boos from a fair few in the crowd, but once the novelty has worn off the whole thing will be a bit more manageable if he’s helping us push for promotion.

Hopefully we get a sizeable bid for him tomorrow.

• 118 Sazzer // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:14 PM

Juve have signed Witsel and Cuadrado so unlikely to move for Sissoko.

• 119 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:15 PM

I think i am actually looking forward to this deadline day for once. Even if our signings end with atsu and we are stuck with sissoko,it still leaves us with 2 players in each position plus a few extras. (If sissoko can be persuaded to play and not be a c0ck about it)

• 120 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:20 PM

Sissy has everything to play for. He wants oot and to do that he will have to really strut his stuff. Like a honey badger in heat. Go Sissy go!!!!

• 121 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:20 PM

LR32,
    I can’t see anyone bidding the asking price, and I doubt Rafa would want to lose face on it. I think it would take a mutually beneficial swap deal where the figures are fudged a little to save face for it to happen.

I think Rafa would have to reintegrate him, albeit possibly gradually. If Rafa can manage him to get his head in a good place then he should be an effective option for us this season. If he really pulls his finger out he might earn a move in January. If he doesn’t then he can probably kiss goodbye to a big move. You’d hope that is enough motivation for him to at least put the effort in every time he is on the field.

Where would he fit though? I think number 10 is the only good option for him, unless Ritchie is out, but I don’t think he is the type of number 10 that will get the most out of Gayle as he generally holds on to the ball too long, and his passing in tight areas isn’t the best.

As you say, hopefully something gives and he gets his move, we get cash and possibly a player, or someone is lined up to come in if the McManaman deal is off as Caulkin seems to think.

• 122 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:25 PM

YCMIU,
    Someone should show him videos of Cabaye after he didn’t get his move. He was outstanding for us till January, and fully earned his move to PSG. That it didn’t work out for him is unfortunate, but he played to a high level and earned a chance. Sissoko could learn from that, and be challenged to do the same.

5 goals and 10 assists before January will definitely get one of the big clubs to bid for him, particularly if they are hovering on the fringes of European qualification.

• 123 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Has anyone else noticed that SissyPants spelled backwards is actually Sadsack?

• 124 GeordieTwo // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Well it’s a good thing I’m on here to point it out then! Harrumph….

• 125 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:31 PM

Sissoko had definitely improved when Rafa came at the end of the season. I guess we’ll just have to see. He’ll be flexible as well I’m sure. Not just locked to one position.

I don’t think we’d take £20m but I reckon we may buckle at £25m or £30m. Could also agree to make the fee undiscovered as part of the deal.

• 126 Jail for Ashley // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:31 PM

I have very much disagreed with club policy over the last eight years. In fact, I have spent a large amount of time trying to persuade Ashley’s ambition for the club was non existent. I was 100% proved right, that’s why bill son, TDSARF, low fell meg among so many others, can’t bring themselves to post now that Rafa has shown him how a football club should be run shows exactly what their arguments were all about!

• 127 Laurent Robert 32 // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:33 PM

*undisclosed

• 128 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:33 PM

My main problem with Sissoko is that he has talked of being a Champions League player for a couple of years now, and has failed to deliver anything close to that level during his time here on more than a handful of occasions.

I wouldn’t begrudge a player a big move, or the desire for a big move, if they were putting in the performances and working for it. That he talks of joining a big club like it is an entitlement, rather than a reward for good performances annoys me.

I’d happily see him leave tomorrow based on his attitude and performances whilst here, and whilst I wouldn’t wish him ill, I wouldn’t be bothered how he got on. If he had put the effort in week in week out for us last season (and previously), then he would have got his move, and there would have been far less animosity towards him, and probably a lot of fans, myself included, best wishes.

If he puts it in over the coming months, and earns the move then great, and I’d hope he make a success of his move.

• 129 Lilongwe Geordie // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:37 PM

LR32,
    Did he improve under Rafa? Or was it we had more shop window matches – Spurs, City, Liverpool – the games he would generally step it up in. He was poor in the key games against Norwich, Sunderland and Villa under Rafa, the games where he has in the past gone missing.

Nothing is undisclosed, it almost always gets out. I can’t remember which transfer was flashing along on Sky Sports News (it is on Supersport for an hour through the week), but on one bit it said someone had signed a player for an undisclosed fee. The next bit said the fee was £13million (or something like that).

Time will tell. I’d prefer him to leave, but if he knuckles down, then he can also be an important player for us.

• 130 Sazzer // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:47 PM

Heavy rumours of Wilshere going to Palace.

previous post: Benitez In Surprise Move For Serbian International