The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Now Expected To Get Two More Players In

9:06 am, Tuesday, August 30th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

Newcastle are currently locked in talks with West Brom winger Callum McManaman and it’s looking more likely that Rafa Benitez will go ahead and bring in the Scouser for a fee of £4.75M.

The Times are reporting that Nacer Chadli’s £13M transfer to West Brom from Spurs will make it that much easier for Newcastle to get Callum McManaman.

West-Bromwich-Albions Callum McManaman

Callum McManaman now likely to sign for Newcastle

Certainly the Times now expect Newcastle will bring in McManaman before tomorrow night’s transfer deadline.

Christian Atsu is reported to be flying into Newcastle to take his medical today, so it could be he will become Newcastle’s 12th signing of the summer.

That would make Callum the 13th player signed by Rafa Benitez this summer if he does sign for us.

Callum’s signing would also make Newcastle’s squad really  strong for the season with at least two top players fighting for each position.

It’s a long long time since we had that at Newcastle.

Hopefully we can have a very successful season for a change.

Here’s hoping.

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 WWSBRD // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:14 AM

Moderated? Well how upsetting

When this eventually pops up then…Mcmanaman will have a lot to do to win me over, can’t promise I can bring myself to cheer him either

• 2 sparky55 // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:15 AM

wonder if Jack wiltshire fancies it!

• 3 giimps // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:28 AM

I would rather we kept away from this signing as he has previous of injuring players (but getting away with it) I suppose it’s better having him tackling opposition players than ours though….till he gets too many yellow and red cards (I’m not sure of his record though since the Haidara incident) but tbf, I was more angry with the ref and linesman saying they saw the incident so he couldn’t be retrospectively red carded and the fa for spinelessly hiding behind the refs lies, im hoping he leaves to go abroad…….see where like China or India

• 4 Rotonda heights // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:33 AM

I don’t think any right thinking person can say McManaman isn’t a thug or at the very least harbours ultra aggressive tendencies. Someone even said it didn’t matter because Haidara was only a fringe player. That’s messed up.

That said, given the fickle nature of football fans, if CM scores and sets up a few, not many people will care I guess. Does that make it right? The Clattermoles of this world have made a good living out of being ”junkyard dogs”.

CM was outstanding in the cup final beating city, but doesn’t seem to have progressed since. Well I guess if anyone can improve him, Rafa can.

• 5 magscar // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:34 AM

Well our fans took to Bowyer and Woodgate (to varying degrees) after much publicised fracas outside a Leeds nightclub .

Was incensed at his tackle at time and remember it well but also the less than condemning reaction from Martinez. Some on here were happy at notion of him taking over from Pardew.

If he does arrive a few good performances in a B&W shirt will allow a grudging acceptance of him. Poor performances – well Rafa will have his work cut out to rescue situation.

• 6 expatmag // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:35 AM

I am sure he does but what has that to do with playing for NUFC????????

• 7 anthc // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:39 AM

Please no. Mcmanaman can’t even get into a garbage wba team. I’ll settle for atsu although I’m yet to be convinced of him to.
    We’ve got rid of a load of dead wood and are running the risk of stocking it back up.

• 8 Jib // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:42 AM

To his credit McManaman got a bollocking off of Dave Whelan and Martinez for this article.

btw – it was his first ever PL start and on other occasions in the match he was way off the pace.

• 9 Ibizatoon // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:42 AM

Aye, Newcastle United, the team where you go to put injuries behind you….

• 10 OneAlanShearer // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:43 AM

Wilshere is made of glass.

• 11 defenders needed // Aug 30, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Don’t like that number 13

• 12 Sav // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Apart from McManaman, ‘doing’ one of our players and necessitating a change on FA law, I think we have enough honest journeymen to do the job of getting out of the Championship now. The next group of signings we make will I hope be of Premiership quality. Hopefully starting in January. I don’t see Callum McManaman in that bracket. He’d be €5 million wasted we could have invested in quality.

• 13 BeeGuy // Aug 30, 2016 at 10:45 AM

Atsu can get to Newcastle faster on a train than going out to Heath Row and enduring all the time lost at check-in and security lines.

• 14 neverwin // Aug 30, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Until the past two days I had always thought that he had never apologised.
    After reading what can only be described as a profound regret then I was wrong.
    Like someone else mentioned I think we were just as disgusted at the officials and the cowardly attitudes of Martinez and more especially Whelan the chairman.
    Not that I am any the wiser but I cannot recall the player being any further bother.
    I would not expect him to come here but if he does then I wlll give him the benefit of the doubt because none of us have ever done anything wrong to regret have we?
    Of course not!