There are reports that Newcastle United midfielder Moussa Sissoko has been given permission to leave the France training camp to complete a transfer before tonight’s deadline.
Rather surprisingly it looks like Newcastle are willing to accept a bid from Tottenham, which has been reported to be only around £16M for the French International.
However, there are other reports that Spurs have actually bid £20M for the Frenchman – according to ESPN – and it seems like Newcastle have accepted that bid.
Moussa Sissoko – Newcastle have accepted £20M for Sissoko
The very fact he has left the France training camp – reported by French newspaper L’Equipe – says that this is serious and he will almost certainly now leave Newcastle today.
This is what L’Equipe tweeted.
— Equipe de France (@equipedefrance) August 31, 2016
“Moussa Sissoko was authorized by Deschamps at Clairefontaine to leave at 9am to finalize his transfer.”
If the deal is for £20M it will mean Newcastle will make a profit in excess of £15M in this summer’s transfer window – but we will have to wait and see what actually happens.
Certainly it is a lot less than the £35M Newcastle have been holding out for all summer.
Newcastle will now almost certainly sign wingers Christian Atsu on loan for the season with an option to buy and Callum McManaman from West Brom for £4.75M.
Newcastle fans will not be at all sad to see the back of Moussa – who has been talking about leaving Newcastle for a bigger club for over two years now.
On the positive side of this – if in May we were told by somebody we would get £20M for Moussa this summer, after the poor season he just put in for Newcastle – we would ask what they had been smoking.
If it’s Spurs as the reports suggest, then Moussa will have real competition to win a starting position at the north London club.
We are just surprised that it got to almost 12 hours before the transfer window closed and Newcastle accepted a much lower bid than they had been holding out for all summer.