The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Christian Atsu’s Initial nufcTV Interview – Video

9:55 am, Thursday, September 1st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 66 Comments

Here’s a little bit of Christian Atsu’s first interview with nufcTV which was conducted after he signed on at Newcastle for a season on loan and we have an option to buy him next summer.

christian atsu

Christian Atsu after signing for Newcastle

Tags: Christian Atsu · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target · Video

66 responses so far ↓

• 1 funlovingexpress // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:05 AM

Anyone know if the option to buy is with a set price?
    Everyone is really tight lipped about it.

The lad hasn’t had much success in England so far but Benitez sees something in him. He said “he brings something different to anyone else at the club”.

So good luck to the lad. I am curious what it is that Benitez sees and what he has in mind for him.

If you cant learn under wor Rafa you will never learn, so lets hope he has a long career with us and we get to see that special something on a weekly basis.

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:08 AM

No wishes of future success, no thanks for his time at the club. Seems like the club were very happy to be rid of Sissoko, which ties in very well with my thoughts that the entire summer has been a PR exercise to extract the maximum amount possible for the shirker.

I don’t really care how he gets on at Spurs, I’m just pleased he isn’t here anymore.

Not sure the squad is stronger, we haven’t really replaced Wijnaldum’s goals from midfield, although Diame and Ritchie can both score. Wijnaldum got 11, Sissoko 1 and Townsend 4 last season, hopefully Diame, Ritchie and Atsu can manage 16 between them at least.

Defensivey I think we are better off. Not convinced Sels is an upgrade on Krul. The midfield looks better balanced and more committed, so I think that has improved. Gayle and Murphy replacing Cisse and Riviere is a positive as well.

A good window overall, even if we still lack a bit of creativity, and we are relying on Atsu to replicate his loan spells abroad, rather than his previous ones in England.

• 3 WWSBRD // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:08 AM

Doesn’t come across like he knows much about Newcastle like

• 4 SuperShearer // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:10 AM

He’s a bit of a journeyman for Chelsea, has he ever actually played for them or just one of their millions of players sent out on loan every season. I’d love to know what the price for the option to buy is. Rumours where it’s conditional on us getting promoted but with that in mind you’d think Chelsea would make it quite high. There’s always the small matter that he’ll shine and other offers will come in. Still I trust Rafa so will be interesting to see where he fits in.

• 5 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Was Atsu at Chelsea when Rafa was there? I think he was wasn’t he? Albeit might have been out on loan a bit.

• 6 WWSBRD // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Him and Gini same boat for me, I just don’t care about either they got their moves they were no doubt promised when signing, neither cared about Newcastle, both disappeared and I won’t remember either of them in a few years time

(Might remember Sissoko ending Ashley Coles career in England tbf)

• 7 beautifulmind // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:12 AM

Who cares about the financial side to the game it’s not your money!. Its up to Mike Ashley how he invests in his business. Theres far to many ‘football managers’ on this blog. I’m more interested in supporting the team and watching the games. I think Mike Ashley is now running the club well. Life’s to short to be constantly bitter and twisted about what’s gone on in the past. Certain people on here need to move on and just support the team!

• 8 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:14 AM

Rafa was there 2012 to June 2013. I think Atsu joined in the summer of 2013 so they will have just missed each other.

He has been out on loan every year, and has never made an appearance for Chelsea.

• 9 Magpie Season // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:15 AM

Moussa Sissoko

“Everyone knows, I often said it when I was young, Arsenal is the club of my heart. The beautiful Arsenal. We will see. I cannot tell you if I am going to go to Arsenal” – June 7, 2016.

“Arsenal made me dream when I was a youngster. Patrick Vieira was my idol. I saw myself in him” – February 2, 2015.

“If Arsene Wenger calls, I’ll have a man-to-man ­discussion with him and then we’ll see. Arsenal has always been the club of my heart” – January 11, 2015.

“When I was young, Arsenal were my favourite team. My idol, Patrick Vieira, played there. I have always loved that club. I still love that club” – December 22, 2014.

Good luck at your new club, Moussa. You might need it

Source: football365

• 10 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:17 AM

Yeah, both were bit part performers for us, but Gini managed 11 goals (same as Sissoko in his 3 and a half years in the league) in his first season where he disappeared in more than half the games (and was out of position a lot on the left). Hopefully we have replaced his goals through a few signings.

Not concerned they have gone, but hope we have replaced the goals from midfield.

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:19 AM

Not sure how we haven’t replaced Wijnaldum’s goals from midfield and Ritchie and Diameter can both score work in the same sentence. If they can both score then surely his goals have been replaced. I think that the squad being a lot more balanced makes up for the obvious quality that has been sold. Is Townsend actually better than Ritchie though.

• 12 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:20 AM

Ah, OK, Lilo, thanks. Thought it might have been round about the same time.

• 13 SuperShearer // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:20 AM

@beautifulmind – part of supporting the team is having an opinion on how the club is run, who is coming in and do we THINK said person is worth what the club are paying. Room for all different types of supporters, if someone posts stuff you don’t like then just ignore it. Everyone’s entitled to an opinion and that’s kind of the point of the comments section.

• 14 Lindisfarne // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:24 AM

Atsu is one of 38(?) on loan players from Chelsea, the fact he has never settled is either an indication of his intent to break into their first team squad. Or, more likely, no other team has been suitably impressed enough to make his transfer permanent. Lets hope he is a late developer.

• 15 WWSBRD // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:24 AM

I don’t want to get into Gini bashing again mate, I hated him by the end tbh more than Sissoko

As for replacing their goals from midfield I think we might of replaced them with a striker scoring goals mate, what we didn’t have last season

Also think Mitro might score double figures as long as he plays football rather than being the hard man

• 16 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Sissoko….133 games (130 starts) 12 goals

Goufran….100 games (80 starts) 12 goals.

Fo you think spurs might fork out another 30 odd Mil for goofy in jan? 😀

• 17 Rotonda heights // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:27 AM

tbf to wijni, although he ” disappeared” away from home, he was playing for a manager who only ever played for a point, thus nullifying his attacking impact

• 18 lesh // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:28 AM

As the club wasn’t up to wishing every success to Sissoko, I will – all the success he deserved!

• 19 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:28 AM

I do mention that hopefully those 2 plus Atsu can cover the 16 goals lost from Gini, Moussa and Townsend.

Atsu is an unknown though. Ritchie and Diame have both got goals in the past, so hopefully will do again.

• 20 lesh // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:28 AM

* deserves!

• 21 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:31 AM

I don’t think the striker replaces there goals. We needed extra goals anyway and I think they do their own. We need goals all over though, and hopefully we get that. Certainly promising based on the Brighton game.

For Mitro and Gayle, it will depend on how we set up. Gayle may end up playing wider on occasions, which is something that I think he said Rafa had talked to him when he signed.

• 22 funlovingexpress // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Beautiful mind fans have always been football managers.

I dont get what your point is.

Back in the 50’s 60’s 70’s 80’s etc long before Pc’s came out or football manager games people would question why we sold this one cheap or bought that one dear.

They would sit in the pub with their mates and discuss lineups, tactics and who we should get to improve us.

Thats what football is about man.

I would say you are in the minority. Football is lifeblood. Not just the bit where they run up and down the pitch but all of it.

• 23 outside the box // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:37 AM

it was obvious to most fans that the club needed a complete shake up and clear out and i for one hoped that we could do this when relegated … …if we had stayed up i dont think we could have had such a shake up and maybe would have struggled along for the next few seasons ..relegation was the price .im hoping this season rafa can get a team squad together playing with spirit to enable us to be promoted with a team with money able to move up a level to mid table in premier ….then onwards and upwards in rafa we trust

• 24 WWSBRD // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:37 AM

And when a good manager came in he was dropped

True but we are in a weaker league. I personally think Shelvey and Ritchie will get double figures and I hope Perez notches a lot (was my pick for top scorer worryingly) add into that Diame Goofy Atsu and the 3 Aarons will score to make people think he’s the future I don’t think we will struggle

Problem may be Rafa holding them back from scoring more

• 25 LGFUAD21 // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Giving is a very talented player and seems a nice guy so best of luck aside from him being at Liverpool

His goals couldn’t save us but overall over the whole season he wasn’t consistent enough for me to be that bothered about loosing him. Maybe we just weren’t a good match.

Sissoko in just happy we good good (above value) money for him to help the Rafalution continue.

I think the team we have now is maybe an android Townsend and another of his ilk winger away from being away from being a better side than we had last season.

I’m actually glad tiote stayed. I think he can do a great job for us and leave head held high that he did. Maybe get one big pay cheick (couldn’t resist) when he goes to China.

• 26 Yo-yo // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:41 AM

Ian Toon // Sep 1, 2016 at 7:45 AM
    Jail- You just can’t stand anything on its merit! You have to play the man and not the ball. I am constantly struggling with your input; not waving but drowning.

Ian – you remind me of the school kid stood at the edge of a playgrounbd melee putting the boot in when someone’s down.
    The contrived prose cannot conceal your WUM like tendencies… I mean what has Jail or Tsunki ever done to you ?

As for Moussa – I do wish him well, regardless of his immature conduct with us in trying to get signed by the Gooners, Madrid, Milan, anyone… So his ambition well exceeds his talent ? I don’t know if he really is that arrogant, or it’s lost in translation.. but that Chelsea game is still a good memory.

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:45 AM

It just shows the folly of having a club ambassador and an elderly scout on the board of a football club when we have 19 outgoing players and have received a fee for five of them, and the fact that nineteen have left with 12 coming in and it could be argued that we are stronger.

• 28 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:49 AM

I have to slightly revise my “at least 2 players per position” post from the other day. It ovcasionally has a player not in their prefered position (but not exactly out of position). It is however only an example of how our squad is covered everywhere. Its not nailed on positions

Gk Sels Darlow Elliot
    Rb Yedlin Gamez
    Lb lazaar Dummet
    Cb mbemba lascelles clark hanley
    Cm/dm Hayden shelvey anita colback
    RAM Ritchie Atsu
    LAM Gouffran Perez
    CAM/10 Diame Gayle
    Cf Mitro Murphy

Aarons haidara and possibly tiote to integrate back into the squad means we have enough cover and decent quality at that.

I have said gouf and perez as LAM because they are right footed and its the same as having left footed ritchie at RAM.

• 29 WWSBRD // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Nar if I ever see Anita in CM again am blaming u and there will be a lot of blame!

• 30 funlovingexpress // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Lilongwe last time Ritchie and Diame were in the championship they scored goals, Diame got 9 goals which compares better to Sissoko. In fact the year before he played 12 games in the premiership and scored 4 goals. So you could argue he is a step up from Sissoko.

Ritchie I think got 15 goals. So that would be 24 goals from just two midfielders if they repeated their last year in the championship.

Many see Perez scoring goals this year, just as many see Mitro.

For minutes played Gayle has managed a goal every 2 games throughout his career. Mostly at premioership level. NB I said minutes played not games played.

With us he averages a goal every game. I forecast on here he would get 34. Its looking good. He should do it easy but if he just manages premiership form then he will get 23. I think he could break Coles record but thats just me, it also depends on how muchg he plays too ofc.

Murphy was the championships leading goalscorer in 2014-2015 and got 27 as a target man. That is a cracking result from a target man.

He would have done it last year too but was injured for half of the season.

These are our knowns and there are goals all around. Lascelles looks the type to get half a dozen a season too.

The unknowns are what fills me with excitement though. No one had really heard of Waddle or Beardsley before they came to us.

If they had joined now but would have been written off I kid you not.

These wingers we have bought could be the new waddles, or at least a new franz carr, we just dont know.

We will soon find out though. Just give them some time to find their feet.

Spurs reservist Townsend was a star here. Ritchie is better. Townsend will struggle this season.

He was successful with us because of two reasons.

1) He was fit as a fiddle and once he reached match fitness was firing on all cylinders against defenders who had had a long gruelling season and in some cases were already on their holidays.

2) He liked tyo cut inside and run at people. It wasnt that he was brilliant at it, it was just that it had been so long since we saw a winger do that it made it seem better than it was.

If you kept Ritchie for the last 12 games of the season he would look twice the player Townsend did.

I stand corrected if he has a good season this season but I cant see it. He is on a level playing field now. He isnt twice as fit as everyone else.

He will struggle and regret his move.

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:56 AM

Yo yo,
    He’s beyond pathetic, why he can’t just post under one account and leave his petty hatreds out of his posts is beyond me. It’s as though he has to keep carl, Jack Root etc going to try and keep up some type of proof that they’re different posters. And this fawning over Belfast and Jimmysmith is just cringe worthy.

• 32 DaraghL // Sep 1, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Well I am extremely happy with our business. We have signed a new team;

Yedlin Hanley Clark Lazaar
    Ritchie Diame Atsu
    Murphy Gayle

Add to this the players who remain such as the keepers, Mbemba, Lascelles, Shelvey, Anita, Mitrovic, Perez, Tiote we have a squad that if you weren’t a fan you would tip for promotion. With Rafa behind that and the sudden swing in performances, in particular Brighton, I am confident.

• 33 2_goal_tino // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM

As I said a couple of days back, I’m really excited by this signing. He has so much potential! I have watched him a lot for Ghana and he really is impressive. Quick, good delivery and keen to get in the box (also left footed). Check out his goal against Guinea at AFCON 2015 (where he was player of the tournament).

He hasn’t replicated his international form at club level for the last few seasons for one reason or another but unlike in the past we have a manager and coaches who I think can actually get the best out of players.

This is a risk free transfer where the potential returns are fantastic.

• 34 DaraghL // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Worth noting that we lost two games to the two sides who are 1st and 2nd in the league 😉

• 35 Wayayman // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:04 AM

Pleased Sissoko has gone but I don’t wish him luck of any kind, good or bad. He’ll possibly regret the way he left, and I think he’s probably been a combination of misguided and misinterpreted at times. Don’t forget these are young lads who in their 20’s with all the money in the world and everyone since the age of 5 or 6 would have treated them as being a bit special because of their talent, so it’s not difficult to see why some of these boys have enormous egos.

Now, he’s gone and we can concentrate on the good stuff ahead…

• 36 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:04 AM

Loke I said, its just an example of squad cover. Gayle will not play at CAM much, and if tiote is re integrated Anita will be back to his utility role. I think he will mostly start games on the bench and mainly cover RB (his best position imo).

If you have players like Dummet and Anita on the bench, it gives you many more options for the rest of your subs because those 2 cover several positions (solidly if not spectacularly)

• 37 jazzyp // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:11 AM

At last Socks has gone on to newer pastures.The saga has ended, And now he is Spurs problem not ours.

Lets move on and welcome in the new boys to the club and focus on the season ahead.
    30 mill was a cracking deal for Nufc no matter which way you look at it. A total transformation of the squad in all areas, Not as bigger squad, But hopefully stronger.

The Fat controller has not had to dip into his fortunes and we still have transfer funds available come jan if need be.

So lets enjoy the season now the transfer melee is finished and onwards and upwards we will go

• 38 Wayayman // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:11 AM

REALLY excited to look at our squad and see that there are goals everywhere now. From set-peices we look a threat (or is that fret?) with Gayle, Diame, Richie & Perez being able to hit the target. Lascelles is immense in the air offensively too.
    With a hopefully reinvigorated (and slimmer) Mitro, Gayle already off to a flyer, Ritchie being very impressive and Diame who can only get fitter and even more effective we have options and goals from all over the park. Add to that Shelvey finally starting to look like he is a decent player, Goufrans lazarus-like resurgence under Rafa and a genuine goal scorer at this level in the shape of Murphy we’ve got a very good offensive looking squad.
    That’s without taking into account the blistering pace of Lazaar (who looks like he could be a gem) Yedlin who is rapid and Atsu who is a Ghana internation, things are looking much, much rosier than they have for years.
    I better go an mop up the bit of wee.

• 39 WWSBRD // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Na not having it, if Anita plays CM again then me and u fall out

• 40 Wayayman // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:13 AM

God! I forgot about Hayden, who is possibly the pick of the bunch! Says a LOT about the amount and quality of our new boys, huh? I also really like Gamez and think he’ll be a positive influence with his experience once he settles.

• 41 jazzyp // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:13 AM

Anita and Dummett are no more than utility players mate.
    Hopefully Lazaar will address the left back position. And Anita will be used as Perchinio was…When needs must lol

• 42 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:17 AM

Yeah they are utility players, but, again, the abuse they get is out right boll0cks, to be fair. Dummet is defensively solid, and people forget he has had the likes of Nani in his pocket over his time here. As for Anita, our defence improved massively when he came in at RB last season for injured Janmaat.

They are way more than last resorts, its just some fans still live in the first keegan era and expect all defenders to attack.

• 43 msk21dec // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Heres hoping atsu turns out as good as debruyne lol good window got 30mill ready for jan if we struggle for goals

• 44 SPRINGY // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:19 AM

morning all
    glad sissoko is gone,if he wanted to stop and had’nt bitched on,i think most fans would of liked to of seen what rafa could of done with him….as when he could be arsed he was a decent player,touch and control not the best but power and pace,but he did not want to play for this club anymore,and acted unprofessional to get a move…so good bye and thanks for the 30m spurs.

• 45 WWSBRD // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Tbf I make no secret of not rating Anita but hes been a good RB so far dont see him getting dropped

• 46 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Hes better there than fouly mcfoulerson (colback). Even if tiote comes back in to contention, i still would put Anita at fourth choice over colback.

• 47 SPRINGY // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:21 AM

super shearer
    i was having problems with all the crap on these pages,i added pop blocker,ad blocker and ghostery and it sorted that out,that was on chrome ona laptop though,not sure what your using….hope this helps.

• 48 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:21 AM

Yeah RB is clearly his best position. I wonder sometimes 8f people think he looks frantic and unbalanced because he is a wierd shape? He kind of toddles around 100 moles an hour with his backside sticking out.

• 49 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:22 AM

*Miles, not moles.

• 50 OneAlanShearer // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:24 AM

12 players in who will all contribute. 21 possibly 22 players out not including jnrs (7) a lot of which wouldnt contribute. 31 million pounds profit. However the acid test is this only a success if we go straight back up. Need to be planning the next rebuild stages. Looking at the 12 in on the face of it about half look like the could stand up in a premier league side. Jury is out on the rest. It loos like a good platform to build a squad on. Mitro, Gayle, perez, diame,Richie, Mbemba, shelvey, hayden are all ready….Lascelles, atsu,clark,lazaar,anita and others are the next tier down with question marks over them for me. However before the window most if the squad looked poor or over the hill. A brilliant effort of turning that around whatever happens. I think we have the right policies in place. Heading in the right direction. Hanley and clark have more question marks over them than Murphy. I’m only expecting Murphy to provide cover.

• 51 jazzyp // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:25 AM

I understand where you coming from mate, But I’m old school mate and believe a player should be played in his preferred position.
    Dummet is by his own accord a Centre back and his preferred role. And has for my likings been caught out way to often already this season.
    Hopefully with the signing of Lazaar we have addressed this problem.
    Anita have always had a soft spot for because he has never been able to cement a position down and reminds me of a certain Perchinio not many moons ago.

For me mate you play players in there strongest position to get optimum performance out of them which hopefully Rafa will do in the coming season

• 52 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:27 AM

I agree. Out of the 21 who left, i reckon only 8 contributed regularly enough to be missed, and maybe 3 other bit part players would add up to one more, so really signing 12 players for 9 “missed” players is good work.

• 53 lesh // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:28 AM

You may have seen it but I commented on your Windows 10 issues a couple of threads back. Hope it helps

• 54 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Yes I agree with that. Play them in their best position, if you can.

• 55 jazzyp // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:38 AM

United’s transfer window business in full:

Inbound (12): Matz Sels, Matt Ritchie, Dwight Gayle, Jesus Gamez, Isaac Hayden, Grant Hanley, Ciaran Clark, Mohamed Diame, DeAndre Yedlin, Daryl Murphy, Achraf Lazaar, Christian Atsu.

Outbound (19): Sylvain Marveaux, Gabriel Obertan, Steven Taylor, Remy Cabella, Andros Townsend, Fabricio Coloccini, Papiss Cisse, Gini Wijnaldum, Daryl Janmaat, Gael Bigirimana, Moussa Sissoko.
    Loans: Florian Thauvin, Siem De Jong, Kevin Mbabu, Henri Saivet, Tim Krul, Adam Armstrong, Jamie Sterry, Emmanuel Riviere.

Outbound (Development) (7) (all loans): Macaulay Gillesphey, Ivan Toney, Tom Heardman, Kyle Cameron, Alex Gilliead, Haris Vuckic, Sammy Ameobi.

Inbound (Development) (2): Yasin Ben El-Mhanni, Stuart Findlay.

Add in five contract extensions and no less than 45 deals were completed by Newcastle United in this window. Take a bow, everyone concerned.

Take a step back and thats some overhaul of the squad in Rafa’s first transfer window.

Long may it continue

• 56 Belfast // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:41 AM

Good window in the cold light of day. Would have been happy to see the back of Sissoko whatever the price. He showed the whole public what a wretch he is last night with his antics with Everton – Good riddance!

• 57 jimmysmith // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Tsunki // Sep 1, 2016 at 8:33 AM
    I respect a lot of what Jimmy Smith says on various footballing issues but I had to laugh at the idea of Sissoko having any kind of ball control, and intelligence, especially in the crucial last third. I then frowned as I read his scathing indictment on the mass of blogsters who only pass judgement on what they can see without first reading a blinkered stat report.

I guess this in response to this earlier post…..

“Sissoko is rarely injured, can run all day, passes tidily and intelligently, holds on to possession well, plays to instruction, drives at the heart of defences and unsettles them, the stats might not tell you that, and as a result we’ve just made a 28 million pound profit on him.

He’ll benefit from playing at a well run club with a top coach, and the criticism he’s copped on here is about ten percent deserved and 90% parochial fuelled hogwash. Still he’s gone, we start afresh with an almost entirely new group, and can now look forward to the season ahead with renewed optimism.”

and further…

“The passing and possession stuff comes directly from Deschamps, who wasn’t bad at it either. He of course isn’t the only top notch manager who likes him, and the 30 million quid also speaks volumes for his capabilities. It’s blinkered to blame a handful of quality players rather than the shortcomings of the club. Moot point anyway. That was then, this now.”

I think Sissoko is a good player and will do well at Spurs. I’m not however defending his behaviour in securing his move to Spurs, although these are clearly two different matters.

• 58 ITUNDERASHELL // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Really pleased Sissoko has been moved on and mightily impressed with news recruits.
    30 mill in the bank and Rafa has probably draw up list of 2 or 3 to purchase in January.
    Ashley and Charnley leave football matters to Rafa and get the kettle on.

• 59 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Also the Finnish keeper and the Scandinavian striker brought in for Academy/Development.

• 60 Belfast // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:50 AM

And well done to the club for not wishing him all the best. He’s been ridiculously disrespectful and a right royal pain in the ass with his constant come get me pleas for the last couple of years.

Thank ferk it’s over.

• 61 jazzyp // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Yep well spotted pal, More goods to be added to the pot.
    It has been some amazing bit of business by all concerned at Nufc that they could transform our club in such a way over one transfer window.

Beggars belief what actually went on behind the scenes before the intervention of Rafa.
    Next summer providing we get out of the championship at the first hurdle, Could be a massive pivotal point in Newcastle’s premiership status because there is going to be a big gulf between us and the top half of the PL table.

• 62 Our Toon // Sep 1, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Plenty of pats on the back and high fives after the window. Let’s get promoted and then we will see if Ashley has changed, all we’ve done so far is trim the squad and bring in a load of revenue whilst saving on wages. Music to Ashley’s ears… money money

When it comes to spend let’s see how ambitious we really are next season, because the squad as it stands will come straight back down if we go up

• 63 Average_Contents // Sep 1, 2016 at 12:09 PM

My feelings exactly.

• 64 davis_toons // Sep 1, 2016 at 4:00 PM

Is Townsend actually better than Ritchie?

Ritchie is a more rounded player, (like a nolan on the wings) that’s good for the team.
    Rafa like passing game so he will be more useful.

Townsend is like a failed HBA.
    Or an improvement or equivalent of Jason Puncheon.

• 65 davis_toons // Sep 1, 2016 at 4:07 PM

Glad that the club stick to their guns for 30 mil. (although part of it will be for his former club)

Now we have got quality manager to spend those money.

• 66 GarageFlower // Sep 2, 2016 at 7:22 AM

Ritchie is in my opinion as good pound for pound as Townsendand and he was excellent for us,did his best to keep us up.Ritchie’s first touch is sublime and his workrate and decision making are topnotch aswell.We got a real bargain there and for him to move back down a division shows how much he wanted to be here.If the rest of our signings turn out this way we can’t have too many complaints.

previous post: Terse Statement Issued By Newcastle On Sissoko Sale