The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Strikers Compete In World Cup Qualifier

7:35 pm, Friday, September 2nd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 145 Comments

Our new signing Daryl Murphy is now with the Ireland team preparing for Monday night’s World Cup qualifier in Belgrade, Serbia, where he will meet another Newcastle striker – Aleksandar Mitrovic.

The 21 year-old very physical striker already has 22 caps for Serbia with 4 goals and they will be getting to know each other when they return to Newcastle next week and prepare for the game at Derby a week tomorrow.

Daryl Murphy in Ireland’s colors

Daryl (22 caps for Ireland – no goals) has been interviewed and he was happy enough with his performances in Euro 2106 and says he just had to accept the opportunity to join Newcastle United when it came up last weekend.

This is what Murphy has said:

“It obviously gives you confidence when you play at that level against players of that caliber.”

“I thought I did okay and held my own in both games I played, so it gives you a boost. They are very hard games to play in, but it was good.”

“I’ll have some great memories for years to come of playing in some very big games. The Italy game, to know I was starting and to play and be involved in that win was brilliant.”

“And then to keep my place a few days after and play against France, bar the result, it was brilliant for me.”

“Obviously it wasn’t easy for me to leave Ipswich for Newcastle, but as I said to the manager – ‘I can’t turn down this opportunity, it’s not going to happen to me again’, and I think he understood that.”

“Obviously he didn’t want me to go, but I think he understood that I’m not going to get that chance again.”

As to whether Daryl would be greeting his new team-mate Aleksandar after the game he said wryly and with a smile:

“We’ll see how the result goes first.”

We expect Daryl to make his debut for Newcastle in the game at Derby on 10th September or the game at QPR three days later.

We think he’s an astute signing for Newcastle and can do a very decent job for us over the next two years.

Tags: Aleksandar Mitrovic · Championship · Daryl Murphy · International break · International News

145 responses so far ↓

• 1 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 7:38 PM

Just because this is yet another new post from Ed we have not finished with you! Good riddance Monsieur SmarmyPants. We give you the two finger salute! We will shower scorn upon you when we meet again next season in the Prem. I will personally expose my buttocks to you Monsieur!

• 2 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 7:40 PM

I hope that clarifies my position vis a vis SissyPants somewhat! Harrumph!!!

• 3 Our Toon // Sep 2, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Good touch by sissoko’s team to release that statement.

I have no issues with him at all, bought in at a time when the club was run like a circus, most acts have gone away now but the circus will continue at some point

• 4 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 7:46 PM

You have now issues with him Our Toon mate? You don’t wish to expose your buttocks to him? You don’t find him deceitful, smarmy, sulky, narsty, lazy, and somewhat of a pinhead? Look at that face! Hanging out there sulking away! How can you not despise that? Harrumph!!!

• 5 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 2, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Let’s hope they play nicely against each other and return with no injuries!!

I’m sorry but who is this sossageoko that G2 keeps banging on about?

• 6 Tsunki // Sep 2, 2016 at 7:49 PM

I wonder how “What-ever!” translates into French? So long whatsyerface, we will never forget you.

• 7 funlovingexpress // Sep 2, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Forget their respective countries, they are playing for more vthan that.

The one who scores the most might get a start for the toon or at the very least be our tactical target man sub.

• 8 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 2, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Forget who?

• 9 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 7:53 PM

You haven’t heard the last of this Monsieur. We have long memories up here in the northeast. You monsieur have cast shame upon yourself. You will be removed from my Christmas card list! No, no it’s too late now to beg forgiveness SissyPants! There is no place at the Christmas table for you! Your personal Christmas cracker has been removed from its spot, stamped on and then micturated upon in disgust (thank you beermonkey). Harrumph!!!

• 10 Tsunki // Sep 2, 2016 at 7:54 PM

Essex – sorry you lost me…..

• 11 funlovingexpress // Sep 2, 2016 at 7:54 PM

• 12 Tsunki // Sep 2, 2016 at 7:56 PM

I can imagine there will be games where the combo of the big fella up there and Mitro will feature at least in part together up front. Where a stubborn defence needs tenderising you might say.

• 13 Tsunki // Sep 2, 2016 at 7:57 PM

No no no

• 14 Tsunki // Sep 2, 2016 at 7:58 PM

Well this is the eye of the storm isn’t it? Eerily quiet and peaceful prelude to match day.

• 15 funlovingexpress // Sep 2, 2016 at 7:58 PM

I meant it as spiffing but yeah ok then …Huzzah!

Ha ha ha ha

• 16 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 8:01 PM

Oh and another thing monsieur. That free chest hair I was sending? Forget about it Mr. I’m so happy to be a Spud! Instead monsieur expect other packages to arrive in the coming weeks. I’m not saying what’s in them but you will be most unhappy with this traitorous turn you have taken! Fie on you I say! Fie on your mum!

• 17 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 8:05 PM

No, it’s no use trying to make me feel better lads. This is just a step too far! This will not stand! I tear your letter into tiny bits monsieur, then wear it in a small pouch in my armpit for a year and then burn it while chanting (you know the usual chants I do, I can’t be bothered to put them all in here). Huzzah!!!!

• 18 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Well? Isn’t anybody going to add anything? Some little narsty snippet for the Le Grande Sulk? Something appropriate for zees leetle scumbag? Well???

• 19 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 8:16 PM

I hope no women or children were injured by my mention of buttock exposure. Please accept my firmest apologies. It won’t happen again I can assure you…..So…… once again…….sorry about that…..

• 20 Our Toon // Sep 2, 2016 at 8:19 PM

He’s made us 28m profit if he stays for 5 years….what’s to be bitter about?

• 21 lesh // Sep 2, 2016 at 8:23 PM

Geordie Two

What’s with your continual references to the human anatomy and apparel?

Dunno about anyone else but I find them quite nauseous.

However, each to his/her/its own!

• 22 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 8:24 PM

Just look at that face and that letter Our Toon mate. They both just stick out and dare you to give him a good fonging. Well I for one am never going to forget or forgive. I am now removing my wallet size photo of him obtained when he first came to us at great expense and getting it ready to place in the next wellie I’m preparing. All my Sissy songs that I had prepared for this season? Oot the door mate. His birthday present? Now being re-packaged for Mitro. That’s how seriously I take this lads. I suggest you all do the same! Harrumph!

• 23 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 8:26 PM

Don’t worry lesh it’s not intended to nauseate you. I was aiming for the French one. I do take offense at the its comment however. You can reword that if you like or whatever lad.

• 24 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 8:27 PM

Actually the 28M profit makes me very happy indeed Our Toon. And with Rafa to hopefully spend it on improving the squad we have more incoming to look forward to. Amazing that we got him for 2 or 2.5M depending on who you believe.

• 25 lesh // Sep 2, 2016 at 8:33 PM

Geordie two

He/ she/ it was not aimed at you but to those are certain or otherwise about their gender.

• 26 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 8:39 PM

It isn’t a gender lesh. Generally speaking people are hetero, homo, bi, and some other terms which appear to mean different things to different folks. But no it.

• 27 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Actually I should say it doesn’t refer to a sexual preference. Or a person.

• 28 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Off to practice guitar and listen to music mates. Enjoy your evening!

• 29 Belfast // Sep 2, 2016 at 9:02 PM

I wish you’d stop using my name in vain Buster – Anymore of it and it’s a month on the nufc digest for you.

You geddit ??

• 30 Belfast // Sep 2, 2016 at 9:08 PM

That’ll probably kill the blog until 23.00

• 31 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 2, 2016 at 9:14 PM

It was you who mentioned Harry so you presumably thought Harry was relevant.

It doesn’t matter whether interest is demanded on instalments. What matters is the total value of the deal. For example, £30m paid in interest free instalments might be equivalent to say only £26m paid up front.

• 32 cyprus // Sep 2, 2016 at 9:30 PM

Nice message from Sissoko. Never quite understood the hate but each to his own mind.
    Thanks Sissoko, you must’ve done something right to attract the attention of so many top coaches, including Rafa. No one else has… At 30 million you are our second biggest signing ever. Something tells me you’re one of the nice guys, although most fans would disagree…Thanks again.

And we’ll hopefully use the dosh to buy 3 ten million stars – in January.

• 33 cyprus // Sep 2, 2016 at 9:41 PM

On this Murphy guy,
    Where did we find him? Why him? Not sure I get it.
    Hope he scores 20.

• 34 Our Toon // Sep 2, 2016 at 9:45 PM

Murphy has had 1 season where he was really prolific, he’ll do a job this season but don’t expect fireworks, he an ok member of the squad

• 35 Our Toon // Sep 2, 2016 at 9:46 PM

Sensible words on sissoko mate

• 36 jimmysmith // Sep 2, 2016 at 10:01 PM

Cyprus, I agree. If you accept Sissoko was sold the club as a stepping stone to bigger things, and consider the dismal way the club had been run and the effect that has surely had on the morale of the clubs better players in the three years prior to Rafa, and most of all that despite all this he manages to do enough to make a profit for the club of an astronomical 28 million pounds on less than a two million pound investment. It’s hard not to think that he’s actually been one of the very few bright spots we’ve enjoyed in quite grim times, and that we should wish him well, as he has us.

• 37 jane // Sep 2, 2016 at 10:17 PM

G2’s comments are disturbing. i wouldn’t be surprised if he has some significant and worrying underlying problems.

• 38 Belfast // Sep 2, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Sissoko was whoring himself around literally six months after he signed and continued to do so from that point onwards. He’s not liked mainly because of this – in my opinion anyway.

He’s a Spurs player now so we really shouldn’t give a hoot anymore to be honest.

I don’t think he was anywhere near the top of Tottenhams list by the way Cyprus. I think he was signed on the last day due to their failure to land a few other targets in the last week of the window.

Anyway I think we done very well whether it’s paid in installments or not. 🙂

• 39 Sheikh MagToon // Sep 2, 2016 at 10:33 PM

Back on topic.

This imposter is a Mackem, and whilst it’s good we stopped them doubling their contingent of crap forwards, he’ll always be listening to my loud mouth from the Gallowgate. If we are ever desperate enough to need him. Doumbia2.

• 40 manxpie // Sep 2, 2016 at 10:38 PM

i can’t believe sisko has used the “his dream” again!
    he must have no shame and people falling for that guff on last post come on?
    it seems its a new trend unfortunately which also means its never meant its just a ticked box after someone leaves a club
    are people just forgetting the stuff he has said in the last month let alone before

still deal of the century

• 41 manxpie // Sep 2, 2016 at 10:49 PM

how many times are we gonna see this in the next 5 years?

• 42 jane // Sep 2, 2016 at 10:51 PM

Sheikh MagToon shouldn’t you give the guy a chance?

• 43 Fostino // Sep 2, 2016 at 10:56 PM

Great great window. So good to see all the wasters go out on loan or sold. Only a shame that waster tiote is still around..But maybe he may still get sold or come good again

• 44 jimmysmith // Sep 2, 2016 at 11:00 PM

This guy will be fit and ready to play when needed, and will do for us exactly what he was bought to do, lead the line effectively in Mitro’s absence, score goals and add competition to the squad. He’s the anti Doumbia and by all accounts a good bloke.

• 45 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 11:01 PM

And you would know a lot about significant underlying problems wouldn’t you Jib/Jane?Jeff?

• 46 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 11:02 PM

Come on Jane let’s have at it……

• 47 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 11:03 PM

Oh that’s right, you only pop up when you think your intended victim is gone for the night don’t you Jane?

• 48 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 11:03 PM

I’m ready for your prodigious wit Jane. Let’s see what you’ve got…..

• 49 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 11:07 PM

Didn’t think so.

• 50 lesh // Sep 2, 2016 at 11:10 PM

Does it not occur to the ‘installment’ believers that that line could well have been put out by Levy? We wouldn’t want him to be seen as being bumped in transfer dealings would we – or even he!

£30m over five years? Don’t be daft!

• 51 jane // Sep 2, 2016 at 11:17 PM

GeordieTwo you posted more than 10 commnents early saying the same thing in a distasteful manner. then you’ve posted 5 comments in 7 minutes. you’re a nut case.

• 52 jane // Sep 2, 2016 at 11:26 PM

sorry GeordieTwo what were you saying, you’re very quiet.

• 53 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 11:28 PM

At least I’m honest Jane. Or is it Jib? Or Jeff? What are you? A nasty little toad with nothing interesting of your own to say. Tsunki has always had you sussed.

• 54 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Come on Jane. Don’t wait 10 or 15 minutes you gutless wonder.

• 55 ron burgundy // Sep 2, 2016 at 11:29 PM

Whats all this kack
    The Standard says that Sissoko will cost five payments of £6 million – bringing it up to a grand total of £30 million. But Spurs will only have to pay all five payments if the midfielder remains at the club for the duration of his five-year deal.

This means that if Sissoko struggles this year and Tottenham decide to sell him next summer, they will not and will not have to pay the full £30 million amount.

The report doesn’t state when the payments will be due, but if it is once a year – for each year of his contract – it certainly looks a much more reasonable deal, though it is unlikely the transfer agreement will allow Sissoko to leave in 2017 with Spurs only paying £12 million for his services.

• 56 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 11:30 PM

Actually say what you want Jane. Or whatever you’re pretending to be these days. I’ve got better things to do than talk with a guttersnipe. But I’ll wait around a bit and see whether you have the guts to respond.

• 57 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 11:32 PM

Again, didn’t think so.

• 58 GeordieTwo // Sep 2, 2016 at 11:34 PM

It’s hardball time Jane/Jeff/Jib from now on.

• 59 jane // Sep 2, 2016 at 11:37 PM

GeordieTwo read the comments you’ve posted this evening. what type of person says those things?

• 60 El Sleeve // Sep 2, 2016 at 11:52 PM

at least sissulko is off the books, its over, get lost!

as Rafa said, we only want players who want to play for the club and the shirt.

That is a statement we all can rejoice at, its all we ask, and now we have it

• 61 El Sleeve // Sep 2, 2016 at 11:55 PM

even if its £6m a season until he leaves, it’s still profit. get 12 and some sell on bonuses, either way u can’t put a figure on team spirit of a championship winning side

• 62 geordie157 // Sep 3, 2016 at 12:02 AM

I doubt we are but could we be one of the championship sides that’s looking at Diego Poyet on a free, still only 21

• 63 jimmysmith // Sep 3, 2016 at 12:06 AM

Honestly speaking, anyone with a basic understanding of compound interest, and the inflation we might reasonably expect in the transfer market for buying English clubs, will recognise that there is indeed a significant difference between 30 mill up front and 30 mill in instalments over 5 years.

• 64 Mister Tuff // Sep 3, 2016 at 12:09 AM

Fear not boys -do not despair -just back from a short holiday in Yorkshire – narrow boat trip.
    Unable to get connected due to remoteness.
    Hope you boys have kept the usual suspects on a short leash and have not put up with any mischief.
    As usual I will be steering a true course with a firm hand on the tiller.

• 65 Mister Tuff // Sep 3, 2016 at 12:19 AM

Welsh – interesting snippet for you. Just got back from Yorkshire – Skipton area. By there are some sheep in those Yorkshire Dales.
    Learnt that Skipton derives it’s name from old English – sceap means sheep and ton means town – forming the word Sceapton which eventually changed to Skipton.
    Seems like your type of town or a future holiday destination.

• 66 TyneMouth // Sep 3, 2016 at 12:32 AM

Urban Myth. Number 96.
    Tottenham Hotspur FC purchase a football player from Newcastle United FC. The fee is £30M.
    The CEO of THFC informs the local free newspaper, the Evening Standard, that the payment will be paid in five installments of £6M.
    The ‘newspaper’ reports that the total amount will be paid in full with the last installment in five years time, this is obviously a fact.
    However, and it’s a big ‘however’, the reporter then states that if the footballer leaves THFC before five years then THFC will not have to pay anymore installments!
    I am not sure how this so-called journalist managed to gain employment in the first place, but the paper needs an editor, asap.
    Spurs have bought Sissoko for £30M, they have signed an agreement to pay this amount. End Of…

• 67 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 3, 2016 at 12:33 AM

There’s two or three worthwhile options in the free transfer list I reckon:

Meireles, Hoilett, Flamini. Even Sessegnon could do well in the Championship.

• 68 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 3, 2016 at 12:40 AM

Did you happen to drive through Barnoldswick Tuff? Skipton only 15 minutes away.

• 69 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 3, 2016 at 12:41 AM

Wait I’m purple now?? Awesome.

• 70 jimmysmith // Sep 3, 2016 at 12:54 AM

If it’s true that Ashley wanted to keep him, which is entirely believable purely from a financial viewpoint even at 35 million cash up front, that would indicate Sissoko’s value going forward to Newcastle was seen as greater than his market value now, particularly as he would, if committed, greatly help our return to the top flight, in itself a massive financial gain. In my opinion, the sale in instalments was most likely an enforced compromise by the club because the player was so adamant about wanting to go. The club won’t be entirely happy.

• 71 manxpie // Sep 3, 2016 at 1:00 AM

anyone looked at their profile recently?
    wtf is that arve thing?
    seems quite Nigerian to me has ed been hacked?

“Dear ARVE users, I am working for a long time on the next version on ARVE, it seems stable to be but I am a bit afraid to release it because there may be problems. People may be angry about changes (happened before) … even though I tried to make everyhing better. I want to try to prevent that as best as possible and I need you to help me test it.
    New Features are a WYSIWYG Preview, SEO friedlyness and new better hover effect (zoom) among many other inprovements.
    I will again give a limited amount of free pro licenses out to people who test and give some feedback. Thanks!”??

• 72 manxpie // Sep 3, 2016 at 1:05 AM

i might use friedlyness tbf!

• 73 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2016 at 1:07 AM

What I read into it is simply that the annual payments will not continue should he leave. All that says to me is that if he’s sold, the remaining instalments will be paid up in full. Might get the full whack next season if Arsenal come knocking! 😉

• 74 manxpie // Sep 3, 2016 at 1:10 AM

bobby haven’t you heard? its his dream to play with lioris at spurs now
    it seems sisko has many many dreams

• 75 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2016 at 1:12 AM

Manx, or, ‘I would like to infect you and everyone you know with a virus that turns your pc into a killing machine… thank you for your help. 😉

• 76 Bobbybee // Sep 3, 2016 at 1:17 AM

Manx, at least he’s no longer our nightmare. Good player in there somewhere, but too much hard work and bad for moral. Nice steal on the price though. 😉

• 77 manxpie // Sep 3, 2016 at 1:18 AM

exactly bobby just what i was thinking wonder if Ed knows its even there?
    hardly a professional intro is it?

• 78 manxpie // Sep 3, 2016 at 1:22 AM

well for me and i’ve said it many times now its the deal of the century so far
    he cant shoot, pass, control or tackle, rarely puts a decent cross in, infact his only attribute is running with the ball WHEN he gets the space to
    even spurs fans are wondering why?

• 79 Our Toon // Sep 3, 2016 at 1:36 AM

I’m sure we’ll find out sooner rather than later as to how good or bad sissoko really is. Is it the shite managers that have failed to get the best out of him, pardew and mcclaren or was he always poor!!

I believe he was in a poor team to which he contributed nothing of note but under shite managers.

The fact he’s highly thought of and Koeman, Rafa and potchettino all think he’s a very good player tells me that he can do all the things that Manx claims he can’t do.

• 80 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 3, 2016 at 1:40 AM

You know what I find is really amazing that after a Jack Daniels or two is that most of the comments on this blog actually start to make sense.

Although WYSIWIG I understand but what is fried-lyness? Sounds as if it is carbohydrate stacked, not what you want on a calory controlled blog.

Any way I am now understanding G2 apparent madness I realise that he is a Muso, many of my friends are muso’s and are completely bonkers. Funnily enough including my son.

• 81 manxpie // Sep 3, 2016 at 1:45 AM

3 years ourtoon! infact over 3 years!
    why was he only interested in the last day?
    if they offered 30 mill in the first week they would have got him infact any week after that they would of got him if they wanted him
    they didn’t! why?
    they were desperate
    so are you telling me i am wrong after watching him for over 3 years every game?
    he can’t shoot he certainly hasn’t got a first touch and his delivery is shite!

• 82 manxpie // Sep 3, 2016 at 1:52 AM

i even seen earlier that pardew ruined him because he was a dm
    when according to stats he has only played there 8 times in his entire career!
    and at least 1 of them times was here so yeah he defo wasn’t a dm
    spurs lost out on there targets so had to go for him thank fusk he did some of them amazing looking runs that came to nothing at the euros!
    gini is a better all round player and was sold for less that tells the whole story ourtoon

• 83 manxpie // Sep 3, 2016 at 1:57 AM

oh and ourtoon weren’t spurs interested in gini first?
    but didn’t fancy our price tag then liverpool bought him at our valuation
    they were desperate levy thinks he’s a genius since bale and had smoke blown up his arse since, he’s came back down to earth this window

• 84 Our Toon // Sep 3, 2016 at 2:12 AM

I get it you don’t like sissoko, they waited to get the best deal for spurs, the whole world knew we wanted to sell, everyone knew he would go in this window…..Everton and spurs played the game and knew the price would drop on the last day and it did, that’s why no one signed him before for 35m

Pochettino said he needed someone with running power, like Mané of Liverpool, physical on the wing and carry the ball. He got the player he wanted. I just don’t get why fans like you are so bitter about it.

BTW what players did spurs miss out on mate? I haven’t read them missing out on any targets but could be wrong, any names or just pure speculation to try to add validity to your point?

I’m not telling you that you are wrong, Rafa, Koeman, Pochettino and Deschamps (to name a few) are telling you that you are wrong.

I’ll take the opinion of managers who clearly see a player that they can work with who can bring something good that they don’t have / haven’t got in squads.

Sissoko had a shite attitude off the pitch as he kept whoring himself out no doubting that, he also spent 3 years in the circus that is nufc under Ashley, but on the pitch he was as consistent as most of the squad which is very inconsistent but under Rafa he played where the gaffer and more importantly where the team needed him to play, be it on the wing, DM, in the hole, RB or LB.

Wasn’t long ago the likes of you were bashing HBA for inconsistency, not working hard enough, he’s now playing for one of the big boys in Europe. Call it how you see it mate got no issues with that but the players we’ve had under shite like pardew and mcclaren were never going to set the world alight because as managers they are clueless.

Just look at the townsend who played under Rafa compared to the one who plays under pardew. My rant is over, good night buddy!!

• 85 manxpie // Sep 3, 2016 at 2:25 AM

how is me saying it’s the deal of the century being bitter??
    levy not poch offered 16 mill on the last day
    everton not koeman offered 30 so who wanted him ourtoon got any proof?
    and rafa has just said very clearly he doesn’t want players who upset the team spirit so how can you add rafa in your mix?
    has koe or poch watched him as much as us? ya deluded if you think so!
    so i think i will stand by my statement thanks! he cant shoot tackle cross or control a ball not forgetting heading of course.

• 86 manxpie // Sep 3, 2016 at 2:29 AM

we’ll be seeing this face again in a years time i bet! just in a spurs shirt

• 87 manxpie // Sep 3, 2016 at 2:39 AM

is that the same arfa that has no goals and no assists in 84 mins out of 3 games this season ourtoon?
    but hey he’s at a big club not a shite club like nufc ourtoon hey?
    infact he’s at a big big club in a proper shite league and still not getting games wonder if thats about attitude or consistancy or that he was free? who knows

• 88 Our Toon // Sep 3, 2016 at 2:54 AM

Yes he’s on the bench at a better club, 84mins off the bench or zero mins fact remains he’s at a bigger club after running his contract down working hard and carrying a side that were favorites for the drop last season, the league is poor in standard but better than the championship.

It’s quite funny reading your little rants, don’t know why you waste your time on a blog like this, you should become a scout or a manager mate. You clearly know more than most respectable managers in world football

If Rafa ever left mate I’d be happy to have such a knowledgeable individual like you to take us to that next step!!

• 89 Our Toon // Sep 3, 2016 at 2:55 AM

Still awaiting those targets that spurs missed out on don’t forget to include that in your next rant

• 90 manxpie // Sep 3, 2016 at 3:06 AM

better than you with the prem is shite
    nufc are shite
    the championship is shite
    sisko is a great player
    levy is a legend

if arfa moved to celtic would you say the same?
    for me its the same as psg and the french league
    all rubbish tbh
    and the championship is as close to the dutch and french leagues as you can get barring the odd very rich clubs

anyways we will see on sisko in a years time won’t we? probably earlier 🙂 but sisko doesn’t suit this league and that will show as he doesn’t get the space to do his amazing runs to nothing
    i will expect your apology before the seasons out 🙂

• 91 manxpie // Sep 3, 2016 at 3:12 AM

gini ourtoon gini wijnaldum ya might of heard of him which i had already mentioned earlier that ya seem to have bypassed is that enough or do you want me to look up another clubs transfer deals?
    ya can do that yourself
    because i know if an owner goes from 16 mill to 30 in a couple of hours he’s desperate

• 92 Our Toon // Sep 3, 2016 at 3:45 AM

Really spurs wanted gini, I honestly didn’t know that!! Did you get that from the papers mate? The same papers that had us linked to everyman and his dog!! Did spurs make an offer for Gini? If they didn’t then does that still mean they wanted him?

As for PSG, look at the squad they have, the calibre of players they have, have we got a single player that would get into there team / squad. Curious to know what your answer is!!

The difference between me and you is that I dont lie, or try to sensationalise things on here to make a point, you can’t contribute without distorting what others say, perfect example of this is:

Levy is a legend
    Sissoko is a great player

Clearly I’ve never said any of these things but to try to add validity to your point you make $hit up… wonder you loved pardew, he has the same mentality.

If Arfa moved to Celtic? He didn’t so why the daft hypothetical question? PSG and Celtic are a million miles from each other both on and off the pitch, nice comparison though, I think plenty of our current squad would get a game for Celtic BTW and none would for PSG.

You seem to have the insight on transfers but choose to pick which links you believe, when it’s reported spurs paid in installments you don’t believe it, I can’t keep up with your inconsistencies, maybe you and sissoko have more in common mate.

I love my club but I’m not deluded enough to think we are bigger than PSG or better than PSG, we are where we are and we deserve to be here because of the way we’ve been run.

In my eyes our club was poisoned with lack of any ambition and this filtered from the top down to the squad, I look at how players performed when they first joined to how they steadily went backwards over a short space of time.

Cisse first 6 months he was fantastic.
    Tiote different class when he came here
    Sissoko unbelievable and ended Ashley coles career

I could go on in terms of players that have gone backwards, all this says to me is players gave up as the regime gave up on them by being so negative about cup runs, being in Europe, selling players to sabotage a season etc etc. It’s pure conjecture and speculation on my behalf as I don’t know the truth……just like you don’t know if sissoko was spurs priority or 5th 6th choice or last resort.

BTW Zaha is the name you are looking for not Gini, spurs bid 12m for Zaha as they looked for a ball carrier on the wings who has pace, gini doesn’t have pace and isn’t a ball carrier. They failed in a ridiculous bid for Zaha so moved attention to sissoko. Aidos buddy

• 93 jimmysmith // Sep 3, 2016 at 4:32 AM

Wonderful post.

• 94 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 3, 2016 at 6:30 AM

Our Toon,
    Gini was heavily linked with Spurs at one time. Whether it was true or not, who knows. But the rumours were spread by the same people that you give credence to for lots of top clubs being after Sissoko, so if you won’t accept that they wanted Gini and other targets first, then why do you believe that top managers wanted Sissoko?

Rafa talked of unity, of a squad pulling together and working for each other towards a common goal. Quite clearly certain players weren’t part of that, and regardless of their individual talents, we are stronger as a unit without them.

Sissoko has gone. Good luck to him at Spurs, and good luck to Spurs with him. I know it won’t be a line drawn under, much like Pardew, there will be told you so’s on both sides over the next 12 months, but it should be the time to do exactly that and concentrate on what we have moving forwards.

• 95 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 3, 2016 at 6:36 AM

I do like the bit in his statement where he says “I decided to join the Tottenham club”.

I’m sure it is possibly a translation issue, but given his fondness for Arsenal, the phrase “the Tottenham club” rather than saying Spurs, Tottenham, or Tottenham Hotspur almost comes across with an air of disdain. I’m sure he meant nothing by it, just an odd phrasing off it.

• 96 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 3, 2016 at 6:37 AM

• 97 jimmysmith // Sep 3, 2016 at 6:58 AM

“As for Rafa wanting him, I’d say that the post sale club statement, and the fact we accepted a deal structure that we wouldn’t normally would indicate the club, and as such Rafa, were quite happy just to be shot of him.”

Lil, that does not indicate anything, other than perhaps that they weren’t happy with the outcome.

• 98 jimmysmith // Sep 3, 2016 at 7:05 AM

There’s more reason to think that Rafa did in fact want him, he said as much for a start, and also the owner, for financial reasons, and that in fact the tipping point is that Sissoko simply didn’t want us, as it likely also was with Townsend and Gini.

• 99 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 3, 2016 at 7:09 AM

Rafa also talked of unity, a squad working together and nobody disrupting that. I’d say that was a thinly veiled slight on 3 particular players to have left this summer, but probably one more than the other 2. We accepted a deal structure that we wouldn’t normally. Why if not to have him off our books?

Rafa played it well to milk as much as he could, but I think the club are probably quite happy with the outcome and him gone. My opinion of course, I have no evidence to back it up, but it is how I felt it was being played out all summer, and I do feel the reality of what happened and what has since been said lends itself to that view.

Separately, it had never really crossed my mind before, but demanding fees up front has probably been a reason so many go out on loan with a future price, rather than getting sold earlier.

• 100 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 3, 2016 at 7:16 AM

If you are wanting to sell something, but get the best price, you don’t slate it publicly. You build it up to try and achieve the highest price. Sissoko has always been going, we all knew that, the club knew that. Rafa saying we didn’t have to sell, and that he wanted him to stay is to hike the price.

Rafa also said we would not accept any last minute deals for him. Probably an attempt to force someone’s hand to bid, but he left last minute, for a lower fee than we had allegedly wanted, and in a structure that we don’t normally accept under this stewardship.

We have had this out several times, neither of us is likely to budge on their views, and neither will know whether our beliefs are correct or not.

For me, he has gone, I don’t wish him ill, I hope he makes a good fist of it at Spurs. There is no personal dislike, I just don’t think he is the player he thinks and as such his media interviews were a source of frustration, and I don’t think he is a key component of any side that wants to be a cohesive team.

I’m certain I’ll get sucked into further debates on this, but for the most part, I’d prefer to concentrate on what we have, and how we move forward.

• 101 jimmysmith // Sep 3, 2016 at 7:19 AM

Yeah, I agree Rafa played it well, but I’m less convinced it was merely to get the best price for him. I think he was hoping more that some of the better players would be up for the fight, Sissoko primary among them, but came to recognise they weren’t. I don’t know when that recognition occurred. In this market, with so much at stake, and no real financial imperative, I don’t think he was letting Sissoko, Widjnaldum or Townsend go without a large slice of resignation.

• 102 jimmysmith // Sep 3, 2016 at 7:22 AM

It doesn’t follow he wanted to sell though, just that he always recognised he might have to. The players wanted out, that’s basically it to my mind.

• 103 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 3, 2016 at 7:29 AM

Last one on this. I think he understood that Sissoko wasn’t here mentally, and hadn’t been for a while. There was never a denial by the club after Sissoko’s agent had said the club had promised him a move this summer a year earlier.

I look at Cabaye’s reaction under poor management, and in a not so grey side when he was desperate for his move, and I compare it to Sissoko’s. Worlds apart. Cabaye was outstanding that first half of a season, and earned the Champions League move. I didn’t see that desire within Sissoko.

Maybe he was brow beaten by the succession of managers, or the tactics, or the malaise within the club. All of those things probably played a part, but for me non of it excuses a lack of effort, which I think he demonstrated more often than his actual ability.

• 104 jimmysmith // Sep 3, 2016 at 7:30 AM

Actually Lil, I do also accept you might be right of course. The most compelling reason I think is that, if you were wanting to hold onto one rather the other, then why Sissoko, who’d been through the mill, as opposed to Gini who was less jaded and actually scored and created more goals? Character maybe.

• 105 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 3, 2016 at 7:30 AM

*not so great

• 106 Ian Toon // Sep 3, 2016 at 7:45 AM

Journalists and our fans have not always chosen to view Sissoko in the most favourable light. That’s football and fickle fans of all colours. but I personally view Sissoko’s time at the toon as failure compounded on a number of fronts. Not least by the coaching staff who rarely played him in his best position but significantly Potchettino sees him providing the power to a lot of finesse. He probably had his best game for us last season in the final game against Spurs.

The question of showing respect to the club and Benitez which is often raised . Moussa spoke to Foot Mercato from France’s training base ahead of Euros, Sissoko said: “It is flattering that a coach like Benitez a great coach, wants to keep me. But I think that he is aware. “I have reached a level where playing in the Championship would be difficult for me. I need to continue to evolve. I aspire to play for the greatest European clubs and to continue with the French national team.

Former Arsenal captain Patrick Vieira was Sissoko’s idol
    “There will be discussions. I hope that they go in the right direction. I want to leave. I would like to continue my career in England, in a club that plays Champions League football.”

Well he’s achieved the CL but maybe not with his first choice club.
    Good luck to him

Asked about reports he has been watched by Arsenal, the 26-year-old said: “It is very flattering. Arsenal is one of the best European teams. To be watched by that sort of club, that proves that you are a quality player.

• 107 Jib // Sep 3, 2016 at 7:48 AM

• 108 lochinvar // Sep 3, 2016 at 7:49 AM

I can’t believe that I’m giving this idiot more air time but then again he walks straight into it and gets a reaction. Today’s pontifications will really endear him to Everton, yet alone Arsenal, Palace and others . If we come across him again in the Cups then I’ll go for silent indifference rather than vocal abuse, he’s going to get that for most of the season wherever he goes.
    Just keep your gob shut would have been the best advice, rather than pretending to be some D list celeb. Anyway over to you Toffee fans…

New Tottenham midfielder Moussa Sissoko, 27, says he was never close to signing for Everton on transfer deadline day when he left Newcastle. (L’Equipe – in French)

• 109 Ian Toon // Sep 3, 2016 at 7:49 AM

Nothing wrong with ambition. He clearly was not motivated by the likes of John Carver but we saw what he achieved under Benitez and the derived impetus continuing into the Euro’s.

• 110 Jib // Sep 3, 2016 at 8:03 AM

The transfer window in the gulf region is open until the 22nd September.
    Talk of Tioté joining a club in Qatar or Saudi now.

• 111 Ian Toon // Sep 3, 2016 at 8:06 AM

Sissoko has had his best times at Newcastle in a central role, saying in April: “Everybody knows my best position is centre midfield.” Certainly was on his Chelsea debut- Pardew constantly had a problem getting the best out of him but tried to buy him for Palace.

Too often during the 2015/16 season he was forced out wide, while also filling in at both sides of full-back. Benitez last season made him Captain and recognised that he’s the type of player who needs to be appreciated. I won’t mention my dislike of booing our own players which clearly won’t motivate the fragile personality types.

If he was ever seriously looking for a central role in Arsenal’s midfield, he would first have to have shifted the likes of Santi Cazorla, Mohamed Elneny, Jack Wilshere, Aaron Ramsey and Francis Coquelin before even thinking about going up against the indomitable Ozil.

Looking at the stats – More of the same, unfortunately for Sissoko. His pass percentage rate of 76 in the Premier League is lower than all of Arsenal’s midfielders, while his fouls per game average of 1.4 is topped only by Aaron Ramsey.

However, he did pick up seven assists for Newcastle last season, higher than any player at Arsenal other than Ozil, and also won more aerial battles per game (1.5) than any midfielder at the Emirates. Something which maybe says more about Arsenal than Sissoko’s aerial prowess.

There would be a large queue in front of Sissoko in the Arsenal midfield. He was never going there and his comments were largely historic.
    The timing of Sissoko’s finest performance of last season speaks volumes. It came on the final day, a 5-1 win over Tottenham with the pressure off and relegation already confirmed.

St James’ Park was treated to the Sissoko show as he galloped through the Tottenham defence time after time, but there were no doubt more than a handful asking: “Where was this for the last eight months?”

• 112 Jib // Sep 3, 2016 at 8:11 AM

Sissoko’s perceived contempt for his employers raises no eyebrows in France.

Every article I’ve read in the Frech media concerning him takes the standpoint of :-

“of course a player of his class cannot be expected to play for a 2nd tier side”

They take it as a given and perfectly natural he should want a move.

Must be a cultural thing I guess.

• 113 Jail for Ashley // Sep 3, 2016 at 8:11 AM

I don’t know why anyone would wish him well at Spurs. He didn’t want to be here and let us know at any opportunity. I hope he’s a spectacular flop at Spurs. A typical by product of a failed system. 28M profit but at what cost in the bigger picture.

• 114 jimmysmith // Sep 3, 2016 at 8:14 AM

I think its a human thing. Townsend, Widjnaldum, Sissoko, all capable of attracting and playing for top flight sides, and in the prime of their careers.

• 115 jimmysmith // Sep 3, 2016 at 8:19 AM

………..also Newcastle has not been a salt of the earth football club. Players might well think that relegation was not advertised on the tin when they signed on. Quite the contrary.

• 116 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 3, 2016 at 8:29 AM

I understand that it might put their own career in jeopardy to drop down a division, although under Rafa, there’s not far off the best chance to reverse the downward trend.

It’s up to them at the end of the day as their careers are very short. It’s expected that players will leave, that’s what happens with relegation. I don’t have a problem with that.

It’s the way Sissoko has constantly disrespected the club be offering his services which isn’t right. At least Gino kept quiet and got on with it.

I do think he is a good player at the role he provides, which is moving the ball up field with pace and power. I’ve said before, I’ve called him the Transporter.

His finishing, crossing, passing etc isn’t great at all, which is why he shouldn’t have been on the wing.

When he gets further up the pitch and shifts the whole team with him, that’s when he should release the ball to the creative players who have product – although he too should do a lot more. In a poorly managed team, there will be a reduction in productivity across the board. No surprise that Rafa had faith in him and shifted him centrally fairly quickly.

• 117 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 3, 2016 at 8:30 AM

• 118 Ian Toon // Sep 3, 2016 at 8:33 AM

Blackley- From yesterday. We don’t know the ” payment by dates” but Ashley will have a NPV calculation included in the final repayment date. Shepherd left a good number of such payments for Ashley to meet , many for players no longer at the club.

The Standard is free but has thriving classified advertising which together with the Metro is read by 2.6 million. Copies are left on the underground but it has a good coverage of life in the capital and its football teams. It’s not the rag suggested but a case of a football journalist covering Spurs reaching outside his comfort zone on finance. James Olley – Chief football correspondent writes in the Independent .

• 119 Ian Toon // Sep 3, 2016 at 8:41 AM

Jimmy- Whilst criticising managers I don’t absolve the likes of Gini and Moussa who could have done so much more in the toon cause.
    It’s far easier playing in good sides and we were terribly unbalanced particularly defensively for seasons. Not everyone is self motivating but our managers/ coaches until Benitez failed our better players. From Cabaye to Sissoko.

• 120 sing in the corner // Sep 3, 2016 at 8:46 AM

On transfers…
    The makems sneaked one under the radar maybe, signing Anichebe from the free agent list.
    I have been enjoying their discomfort at a very poor window, but was surprised to find out he is only 28. Fallen from grace since his relative good days at Everton though…

• 121 jimmysmith // Sep 3, 2016 at 8:54 AM

I remember the Carver comment about he and Pardew looking at the list of available players and coming to the conclusion they couldn’t put together an 11 that was good enough. McClaren inherited a squad low on morale and hastily put together. Rafa would have done better you’d think, but I think the biggest problem was poor recruiting.

• 122 jimmysmith // Sep 3, 2016 at 8:55 AM

… not enough depth and balance. We have had quality.

• 123 jimmysmith // Sep 3, 2016 at 9:12 AM

……….and timing. Two years without a significant signing, and then a rash of them.

• 124 Jail for Ashley // Sep 3, 2016 at 9:21 AM

Recruitment, lack of ambition, piss poor managers, piss poor people in charge of managers. All key factors in our final demise.

• 125 jimmysmith // Sep 3, 2016 at 9:26 AM

Yeah, take your pick. One, or more, or all. Players of course can’t be excused either, but I wouldn’t have them high on the list.

• 126 Mister Tuff // Sep 3, 2016 at 9:27 AM

YMFB – did not get as far as Barnoldswick – just past Gargrave and we had to turn around to head back. (missus could not grasp lock procedures).
    Had a cracking meal at Oakleys in Skipton on Thursday evening. Decent mini trip though.Apart from about an hour of rain – rest was red hot.

• 127 LGFUAD21 // Sep 3, 2016 at 9:30 AM

I know it was a while back but i do hope Ed bans Killit The Bulb

We cant tolerate behaviour like that on here or anywhere.

• 128 Ron Knee // Sep 3, 2016 at 9:55 AM

He certainly should. It’s clearly racist.

• 129 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 3, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Morning all

I see a few more icon colours have changed. Our Toon, Fle, bobbybee and lesh at first glance.

• 130 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 3, 2016 at 10:03 AM

AND MINE 😮

• 131 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 3, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Just went back and read Killit the bulbs post….

A) is that really worse than what Kets wrote to expat??? I dont think so.

B) is it racist? (As is clearly the suggestion) or just an alusion to the fact that a few seasons ago we had a lot of black players, many of whom could have played in the ACN, which was actually true at the time?

It’s easy to over react, people. It was possibly a stupid comment that was always going to raise questions, but it’s pretty harmless and certainly not vile or racist in the grand scheme of things.

• 132 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 3, 2016 at 10:16 AM

Lilongwe Geordie has also changed colour

• 133 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 3, 2016 at 10:19 AM

And just to warn anyone now, if you decide to call me a racist on the strength of my last comment,we’re having words, so just don’t.

• 134 Offkey // Sep 3, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Killit seems to imply that if you are black you are African, seems a stupid and if I was black and British I may find that offensive and therefore racist as based simply on colour

• 135 Ron Knee // Sep 3, 2016 at 10:46 AM

” … and not one hue if you get my drift …” Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Are we hosting the BNP this week?

• 136 Yo-yo // Sep 3, 2016 at 10:50 AM

“our club was poisoned with lack of any ambition and this filtered from the top down to the squad, I look at how players performed when they first joined to how they steadily went backwards over a short space of time.”

G2 – OT has it nailed – culture of mediocrity, acceptance of failure, lacklustre coaching, below average management – this affected so many decent players who should have achieved more. Remember last season pretty much every pundit said we were too good to go down ? IMO we failed because of the attitude at the club, more than the lack of skills of the players. Tufty, Charmless, Ashley all have to accept the blame.

Sissoko is as entitled to feel cheated as any fan. I don’t blame him for moving on, or for his personal ambition. He is over-rated for sure but that is the market hyping players up after tournaments. Footballers have to chase the money and glory over ten years. Moussa’s comments may have lost a fair bit in translation, and he was definitely tactless and should have kept his mouth shut – but maybe he felt as conned as the average fan, let down by the lack of ambition at the club ?

If you want to expose your body parts to him, just remember that it says more about you than it does about him.

• 137 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2016 at 10:51 AM

B) The fact he made reference to it is though. Why would it be a good thing to now have a different mix?

Colour has nothing to do with anything. Why would he bring it up?

• 138 lesh // Sep 3, 2016 at 10:52 AM

Interesting take on Sissoko’s move to Sperz. Might it be the prelude to in-house power play?

• 139 Ibizatoon // Sep 3, 2016 at 10:53 AM

Yo-Yo…That is more or less where I sit with Sissoko. He has made it hard mind with his constant come get me pleas.

I prefer a player who lets his football and his agent (behind closed doors) do the talking.

• 140 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 3, 2016 at 10:56 AM

If you’d been on the Huddersfield narrow canal, you’d have passed mine, which is about 10 yards from it.

• 141 lesh // Sep 3, 2016 at 10:57 AM

We’ll see if this Levy link works…

• 142 Jail for Ashley // Sep 3, 2016 at 10:59 AM

Sissoko is gone and we should all move on. Easier said than done though. Like Pardew he has left an indelible stain on the club both products of Ashley’s complete disregard for the fans or success of the club. We can only hope Rafa can make the stain less visible even if he can’t completely remove it.

• 143 Jib // Sep 3, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Jail for Ashley
    The acquisition of Sissoko a product of Ashley’s complete disregard for the fans or success of the club.
    Que !
    What ?

That’s a bit convoluted even for a world class muddled thinker like you !!!

• 144 Jail for Ashley // Sep 3, 2016 at 11:27 AM

Yes Jib,
    What’s hard to follow, a player who clearly didn’t want to be here and was not bought for anything other than to turn a profit. As for Pardew, could you honestly put any type of argument forward that he was here to make us successful. Martinez was sacked for playing poor football and finishing tenth. Pardew was given an eight year deal for doing that. That Jib, is a complete disregard for the fans. Buying players who completely disrespect the club just to make a profit is a complete disregard of the fans. Do you get it now?

• 145 posada // Sep 3, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Sissoko did not play as a CM on his debut against Chelsea.
    He played centrally, but as a support striker behind Cisse.
    Perhaps he should have played more there.
    As a CM player he was no use. Poor range of passing, not good at defending.

previous post: Sissoko Issues Personal Message To Newcastle Fans