The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Arsenal Legend Questions Why Spurs Wasted Money

10:01 am, Monday, September 5th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 36 Comments

Newcastle fans were happy to finally see Moussa Sissoko leave Newcastle after three and a half years at the club after we signed him for £1.6M from Toulouse in January, 2013.

Let’s make that clear – Newcastle fans were very happy  – in fact ecstatic to see the Frenchman finally leave.

Moussa had been pushing to leave for at least two years and was adamant he had to leave when we were relegated, since a player of his innate ability cannot possibly play in the second division.

martin keown 87

Martin Keown – questions Spurs’ sanity?

And to show how Moussa is disconnected from reality – in his message to Newcastle fans he said he will never forget the years he had at the club.

He’s what you call completely tone deaf.

Geordie fans were even more delighted when we got £30M for him – because he’s worth nowhere near that amount, but Newcastle have been good at doing great deals over the last few years on some of their players.

Think Andy Carroll, Liverpool and £35M and Gini Wijnaldum, Liverpool and £25M.

Liverpool are such a great club.

🙂

Former England international center-back Keown questions the wisdom of the north London club paying out such a hefty fee on a player who has been inconsistent at Newcastle.

Last season he was simply hopeless and just didn’t want to know once we were relegated.

He hid out in far too many of our games last season.

This is what Martin wrote in his latest Daily Mail column:

“I think it’s an awful lot of money for a player who struggled for consistency in his three years at Newcastle.”

“Though having said that, I was surprised by how well he played for France at Euro 2016 and it’ll be interesting to see how Mauricio Pochettino can make it work.”

“The Argentine seems to develop players well. Paying £30M for any player is very uncharacteristic of Tottenham.”

“And given that they’re in the process of building a new stadium, I wouldn’t have thought it was money they can afford to waste.”

“He is also quite a similar player to Mousa Dembele, who was excellent last season, so the whole deal seems a bit unnecessary to me.”

Good reasoning by Martin Keown.

Newcastle are well rid of Moussa Sissoko and to get £30M for him is almost criminal.

Tags: Financials · Management · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

36 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Sep 5, 2016 at 10:15 AM

I think Sissoko is the kind of player who responds to those around him – that’s why he plays so well for France and looked down with disdain at his teammates at NUFC which effected his performances.
    When Dele Alli came on late for England last night the whole team suddenly played better.
    Maybe the fact of having Alli , Lamela and Eriksen around may see better performances from him.

• 2 scout // Sep 5, 2016 at 10:40 AM

The man can’t tackle he done alright in the Euros but if he’s worth 30 million Griezman must be worth 300 million.

• 3 Tsunki // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:02 AM

it’s all right Martin just stick around someone will be on here in a minute saying they can’t understand all the ire NUFC fans direct at him, he was our best player for three years, silky skills and a delicate touch and made Gouffran Look like Alsoran. 😐

• 4 Tsunki // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:03 AM

BTW I no longer watch England matches for health reasons. I’m afraid my eyeballs will ossify in my head.

• 5 Belfast // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:09 AM

I can’t understand all the ire NUFC fans direct at him, he was our best player for three years, silky skills and a delicate touch and made Gouffran Look like Alsoran.

• 6 lochinvar // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Hello Martin ,
    I’d just like to say I can’t understand all the ire NUFC fans have directed at Sissoko, he was our best player for three years, silky skills and a delicate touch ……

( infamy, infamy, they’ve all got in in for me )

• 7 Tsunki // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Hello Martin, I can’t er under…er… oh that was me before wasn’t it?

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:21 AM

Oh Belfast you crack me up, such a blog legend and very good value for money, I’d put you in the same class of poster as Jinky Jimmy who knows more about football than Tuff and Tsunki combined and makes sack Llambias look like a footballing dinosaur. BandB could take a lesson from you and Jimmy as well. Slurp slurp!

• 9 Tsunki // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Don’t forget he’s a marauder, Jail.

• 10 Spoof // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:26 AM

What if Sissoko goes down there and plays to his best week in and week out, if he does that then £30m would be a bargain, I really find it strange how some can say he is a waste of money before he has kicked a ball for them, if he goes there and he is shyte then fine call him a waste of money but you can’t say that beforehand because you don’t know if that it true or not, all they are doing is leaving themselves wide open to make themselves look like a right tit.

• 11 Tsunki // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:27 AM

I had to check that wasn’t your Belfats stalker (Rob) btw Belfast 🙂

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Yer right buster he is!

• 13 Jail for Ashley // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Spoof.
    I won’t be gloating on how poor he is in case he does decide to turn up for them. I’m certainly not condoning his disgraceful behaviour but when club policy is not to win anything, you have to wonder how it actually took so long to get relegated.

• 14 Tsunki // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Spoof, I’ve every confidence that he’ll run his lungs out for the Tottenham Club. Then when another Dream Club start prodding his agent, we will take a trip down memory lane.

The Sissoko we had quickly tired of being here and showed up like a hot dog stand at an airshow, and fell just short of making a “Please Rescue Me” video in the style of RSPCA or those Donkey Sanctuary ads. Come to think of it, I’ve just had an idea to help him promote his next move!

MOUSSSAAA! WAIT! WAIT!…

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:39 AM

I’m just gutted he actuality did sign for a team playing in the CL. It would have been the icing on the cake if he’d gone to WBA, even Everton just to hear him spout about playing in the CL one day.

• 16 jayphoto // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:40 AM

Let’s be honest about Moussa. In 3 years at Newcastle, he played under a decent manager for 10 games (Benitez) and under Rafa he actually played well or at least a marked improvement.
    For 2.75 years he played under managers that would never drop him, in awful, containment football where other talented players didn’t excel either.
    Whether Spurs have wasted their money or not will be clear in future, but if they can get him playing regularly at the level we saw against Chelsea a few times then they have spent well. The guys got the attributes, we all know that. His attitude to the club has been bad. His attitude to everton was shocking. But he’s now where he wants to be, a London based champions league playing club, Got a feeling that Pochettino will get him playing. He showed in the euro’s and in glimpses at newcastle that when he’s motivated hes a devastating player.

• 17 Spoof // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:42 AM

Jail

Likewise, I wouldn’t dare gloat because we all know how good he can be, personally I think that he has made a move to hell and he will be a spectacular flop as I have my doubts whether it was Pochettino who wanted him or if it was Levy trying to make a statement, if it is the latter as I suspect it is then Moussa hasn’t got a hope in hell as a player who is not wanted by the manager always fails, we’ve seen that way too often here before Rafa changed the transfer policy and took it from Carr and gave it to himself, but like I say I wouldn’t gloat babout as I could be wrong.

Tsunki

I cannot really answer that mate lol.

• 18 jayphoto // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:45 AM

Also got a feeling Spurs will overtake Arsenal and Chelsea in a few years. It’s all set up there to be fair. Great manager, new stadium, some really good young players coming through. They’ve always had quite a large core fan base anyway and they play really attractive football. Add a bit of success in there and I’m sure a lot of fans abroad will jump on the bandwagon. Also reckon they’re well set up to become the biggest marketed team in USA. The fact they have a name like Spurs (quite Americanised), the Jewish connection, a strong English core etc will all help with that too. Hate to say it because I’m not a fan at all, but Spurs is a commercial goldmine waiting to happen if they get it right on the field.

• 19 jayphoto // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Spoof – I reckon it would have been Pocchetino who earmarked that he wanted him. Pretty sure Levy when it comes to buying acts on the wishes of the manager. Their problems before was when they had a director of football buying players not the manager, but think Pocchetino has more control? Also he seems to only play players that buy into his ethos, not sure bout the mental side, but Moussas physical side could see him being an asset if he works hard

• 20 Belfast // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:50 AM

I’m pulling the plug on you both!

I think it best if you don’t correspond further with me.

*Sad face*

• 21 Ian Toon // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Jail – I have explained this to you before:
    Ed – Could not find a causal link between any two parties posting. The term is frequently used between a drug and a death.

You were no1 on the charge sheet for Sack Llambias because of your constant heralding last summer of the return of Quentin Crisp from holiday. You did have form over Raj but because you had confessed you were treated leniently.

This is a joke please can the usual suspects not write in as I start work in a short while.

• 22 Belfast // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:54 AM

I thought it was a strange signing myself and the rumours of it being a Levy signing and not the managers don’t surprise me at all.

They missed out on two wingers from what I can gather so it looks like he’ll be playing wide and not centrally. I could be wrong though.

• 23 jazzyp // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Do any of you guys know if Your details as a Nufc registered member are shared amongst clubs ??
    With me living in the Midlands I thought I would get to watch quite a few away games albeit sat in the home section, As we all know its impossible to get an away ticket.
    So i purchased 2 tickets last week for the Derby game this Saturday on my card. Thought nothing more about it until this morning where I received an email from DCFC.
    “Unfortunately due to you having an account and being a registered member of Nufc, We do not permit any away fans to sit in the home sections of the ground for safety reasons”

I can fully understand this but wasn’t aware your details were shared amongst clubs ??

• 24 Mister Tuff // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Jayphoto – I agree with the potential about Spurs.
    Forgetting for the moment they have made a costly error signing Sissoko. His inconsistency over a period will not endear him to spurs fan.
    Damn good “smash and grab raid” by the Toon to get that amount of cash for him – Spurs have been suckered.
    Still fail to see why some pundits really do not know his game/frailties very well.
    Read a couple of years back that Spurs had over 30,000 on their ST waiting list – so great potential.

• 25 Ian Toon // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Belfast – I hope you’re working on new material.

• 26 Mister Tuff // Sep 5, 2016 at 11:59 AM

jazzy – email the club and ask them. Might be a safety thing. Steve Storey the safety guy might know.

• 27 Spoof // Sep 5, 2016 at 12:04 PM

jayphoto

Time will tell, but if you look at ourselves with Rafa we/he will only buy players with the right attitude and without that attitude then quite simply they won’t be coming here, as you rightly say Pochettino will only play players who fit his own model, does Sissoko fit into his model, I have my doubts about that which is why I have my doubts about him being the managers choice, and taking into account the amount of central midfielders he already has, Dier, Wanyama, Alli, Dembele, Erikson and Carroll compared to the amount of strikers he has, yes I know that they have just signed Janssen but with Kane that is all they have, in all honesty even with Janssen I’d be surprised if Pochettino would not have preferred another £30m striker rather than Sissoko, like I say I have my doubts as to whether he was Pochettino’s choice or not, which from how I am looking at it is a strong possibility, this reminds me of when Sir Bobby was desperate for a CB so Freddie Shepherd tried to sign Wayne Rooney !

• 28 jazzyp // Sep 5, 2016 at 12:04 PM

Tuffers

I have have actually rang them mate to tell them it was just myself and wife going and not a group of lads.
    But it is there policy not to allow any away fans in the away section, Which I fully understand.
    But they wouldn’t confirm how they knew I was a registered Nufc account holder.
    With us unfortunately being in the Championship i thought we would be able to catch quite a few away games as there is a lot of clubs from the mids in the Fizzy pop league.

I guess I wont be doing that now

• 29 Spoof // Sep 5, 2016 at 12:10 PM

jazzp

could you not get a neighbour, a friend from down there or a work colleague to get them for you.

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Sep 5, 2016 at 12:11 PM

Ian,
    You know the blog knows!

• 31 martoon // Sep 5, 2016 at 12:14 PM

jazzp- I didn’t realise they did this but I guess it’s done on name and address. If you are a member then you should be able to buy away tickets from NUFC – I’ve done this a few times for my son who also lives in the midlands.

• 32 cyprus // Sep 5, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Poxhetino didn’t need to see the Euros to know how effective Sissoko can be. He saw it in that drubbing he received from us, when this player was tearing through their defense.

I disagree with Martin I think he’ll be good for that team.

Of course you should drop this, Ed. He isn’t our player and it is divisive. From now on, who cares.

• 33 jazzyp // Sep 5, 2016 at 12:23 PM

Spoof

Looks like that will be the only way mate to buy through a friend or family member.

Martoon

We all know it is virtually impossible to get a ticket with the away following. So my only option was to sit in the home section of the grounds……Dodgy i know especially if we score. But like I said with a good number of games being based in the Midlands this season thought our family would get to see a lot of games.

I just found it odd how Derby county knew of my affiliation with Newcastle ??

• 34 cyprus // Sep 5, 2016 at 12:30 PM

And given Martin’s background he isn’t exactly going to give tribute to spurs is he.

• 35 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Sep 5, 2016 at 12:54 PM

@Jazzy

Could you not get your wife to order the tickets ? Or does she have an account with Newcastle ? Wondering if thats a way you could get round it

• 36 jazzyp // Sep 5, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Lee Charnley bunga

We both Members mate so both hold accounts.

I just find it harsh that basically if your affiliated with one club. Then that basically wipes out any chance of going to watch another football club of your choosing.

previous post: Newcastle Player Given Lavish Praise By Scotland Manager