The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Tim Krul Gives Update – Sets Date For Comeback

8:12 am, Monday, September 5th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 7 Comments

Tim Krul suffered a serious knee injury of his ACL on October 11th last year towards the end of the 2-1 win in Kazakhstan, so it’s now a full 11 months that Tim has been out.

That’s one reason we don’t expect his Newcastle team-mate Rob Elliott to be back much before the end of the year,  after Rob Elliot suffered a similar type of injury playing for Ireland on March 30th.

Rob’s injury is generally thought to be not quite as bad as Tim’s, but we’ll have to wait and see.

EURO 2016 qualifier - "Kazachstan v Netherlands"

Tim Krul suffers the injury in Kazakhstan last October 11th

Rafa Benitez wanted Tim to have playing time this season and so he sent him out on loan to Ajax after first choice Netherlands goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen signed on at Barcelona.

Rafa’s plan is now to assess the goalkeepers next summer and decide which one can leave permanently between Tim, Rob Elliott, new signing Matz Sels and Karl Darlow – all good goalkeepers

Tim has acted so professionally this summer and he has been speaking to Ajax TV and has described his situation:

“I’ve done a lot of testing in the last few days and it is going very well. The facilities are top-notch and the medical staff is superb.”

“I still have to build for a few more weeks and I’m taking it day by day.”  “We’ll see how things go, but I want to make sure by the end of September I am right. A little push should be all that is needed.”

“With the fitness coach of Newcastle I have been working together for three years. He knows all my data, so it’s perfect that we have a clear plan with the medical staff.”

“I am glad that the fitness coach could explain to Ajax how we did it there.”

So all being well we should see Tim back playing again at the end of this month.

Rob Elliot came into the first team last October to deputize for Tim because Karl Darlow was injured at the time – and he did great and was our Player of the Season and has just signed a long-term deal to stay on Tyneside.

Tim Krul was given a one year extension to his contact in the summer so he now has just under two years left on his contract and it’s all more evidence of how well Rafa Benitez thinks things through.

Young goalkeeper Freddie Woodman has to stay at Newcastle until Rob Elliot is fit again, but hopefully Freddie will go out on loan in January to get first team games that will aid in his development.

Rafa wants Freddie at the club in case either Matz Sels or Karl Darlow are injured and before Rob is fully fit again.

So Newcastle seem like a well organized club these days and Tim is also gaining from Ajax being a very well run club in all areas.

Tim is in good hands and we’ll have to see how he does this season at Ajax – we are hoping he can return to top form and make Rafa’s decision next summer a difficult one.

Tags: Freddie Woodman · Injuries · Karl Darlow · Matz Sels · Newcastle News · Rob Elliot · Tim Krul

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Sep 5, 2016 at 8:39 AM

Rafa knows where to send players to get the best coaching.
    Carlo l’Ami is Ajax’ goalkeeping coach – He was instrumental in getting Jasper Cillessen his dream move to Barcelona.
    Tim will defo improve under this guy’s tutelage

• 2 Magtoonpie // Sep 5, 2016 at 8:40 AM

Glad Tim Krul is soon to be fit. He has done so much for Newcastle one of my favorites.

• 3 Ian Toon // Sep 5, 2016 at 8:44 AM

42Ian Toon // Sep 5, 2016 at 8:37 AM

Yo- Yo — From yesterday against my better judgment as you don’t deserve a response.

I was responding to something of particular interest to me posted on the blog. I wish I had let the subject matter pass by as I usually would have. Forgetting tha this is a football blog – hence to satisfy your curiosity . I was not going to respond because of encoraging you to resort to further I’ll- founded assumptions. The subject matter is viewed as beyond a lay persons range, levels of understanding.

My general conclusions were evidence based on case studies and not as you imply. Any such use of the source(s) you imply to establish or justify such findings would again be ill- founded; on the grounds of undue influence on the part of NUT or other vested educational interest groups.

However to emphasise It’s evidence led.. One thing you did get right was the divisions within the Uk educational system. But as this is not educational/ schools based it’s an irrelevant point.

I am not planning to respond further to you because you’re suffering from in lay person terms, groupthink. It’s adopting an amiable, soft line of criticism in order to conform and have complete concurrence with chosen people. Equally found on a football blog , as in the school playground or the staff common room.

Your comment addressed to me on Ritalin is beyond reproach. A little learning is a dangerous thing. I think it best if you don’t correspond further with me.

• 4 Jib // Sep 5, 2016 at 8:47 AM

Yo yo

• 5 lochinvar // Sep 5, 2016 at 8:48 AM

Tim Krul has always had Newcastle’s best interest at heart and has shown his passion for the club. On many ( most ) occasions he was more vocal than Colo on the pitch and you could see and share his passion for motivating those around him.
    His previous shoulder injury ( resulting from a nasty late challenge I seem to recall ) definitely hit his confidence at the time and the latest injury is a time consuming process to get back to full fitness. However with time, good treatment and his fitness regimes I’m sure that he’ll come back strong. Ajax is part of that process. Wish hm well.

• 6 Magtoonpie // Sep 5, 2016 at 8:55 AM

Speaking of Colo I was saddened to see how it turned out for him at the end as he was another loyal player. Hopefully we see some of these new players show the same dedication as some of our previous stars.

• 7 Ian Toon // Sep 5, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Tim was very much a part of NUFC for me growing up. Signed at an early age and blossoming over the early years. He always spoke to away fans and he’s a very grounded type of footballer

I have always rated him as a shot stopper but his kicking wouldn’t get him into the current ManC side. His confidence was sapped by injury but he’s got a lot to offer and I hope with the toon. I remember a game a few seasons back where when we beat Spurs 1-0. and he was brilliant particularly in the second half. If Heinekin did goalkeepers he would be no1.

previous post: Alan Shearer’s Secret Of Success