The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Henri Saivet’s One Positive – Benitez Is A Great Coach

10:30 am, Tuesday, September 6th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 70 Comments

Henri Saivet has given an interview in France Football today and he was not very happy during the eight months he had at Newcastle United.

It’s not nice, but if you really want to read what he said about Newcastle here it is – he was very frustrated on Tyneside.

That should come as no surprise to Newcastle fans, since Henri hardly ever played for Newcastle after his £5M move from Bordeaux.

henri saivet ireland

Henri Saivet in pre-season

And after venting about his time at Newcastle he did talk a little about Rafa Benitez and he thinks Rafa is a great coach.

This is what he has said about the Newcastle manager:

“Benitez is a great coach. He talks a lot of tactics – a little too much at times, but he is a great coach.”

“When he was appointed the group (team) was lost, not confident and there remained ten matches to play.”

“It was complicated for him. The leaders had asked him to play the English way. It’s like that there.”

The suggestion there was that Rafa had been asked to play British players in the team because they knew what it was like to fight against relegation.

What Rafa actually did was to use the experienced players at Newcastle as much as he could and the youngsters didn’t get much playing time.

The new players – particularly like Henri who were not used to the English way of playing football, were also not used by Rafa.

But you get casualties when Newcastle got themselves into a complete and utter mess by early March …. and Henri was one of those casualties.

But so too were thousands and thousands of Newcastle fans who were basically screwed and let down completely by those running the club last season – and we are now a second division club.

But things have changed and they are now already a million miles better than last season – and that’s after Rafa has been here for only a short six months.

Things are improving quickly and we are very confident in the future of Newcastle United with Rafa Benitez in complete control of all football matters.

That’s the good news.

Tags: Coaching · Henri Saivet · Management · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

70 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Sep 6, 2016 at 10:32 AM

McCardew is dead!
    Long live the Rafalution!

• 2 Jib // Sep 6, 2016 at 10:34 AM

I don’t think we are getting the full story from Henri there.
    He says “when I came back from vacation” yet we signed him in January and Willy Sagnol his boss at Bordeaux seemed very keen to get shot.
    His agency is the ubiquitous Mondial Sport.There is more than meets the eye I’m guessing.

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Sep 6, 2016 at 10:38 AM

Just Google it Jibberish, I’m sure you’ll come up with some shite or other!

• 4 Mister Tuff // Sep 6, 2016 at 10:39 AM

“………………There is more than meets the eye I’m guessing.”

No change there then!

• 5 Tsunki // Sep 6, 2016 at 10:57 AM

Thanks gift the hair loss clinic Jib but I didn’t get it. Maybe you’re considering fkbstjnv from your nose? I dunno…moving on…

Well I might have said that with McLaren and the ebullient JC he might have got the sticky end of the sticky…thing… but when Rafa gives you the once-over and you’re on the plane to the Motherland, that’s your answer, Henri. Bon Voyage et merci beaucoup pour tout. Or words to that effect.

• 6 Tsunki // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:00 AM

OK I get “gift” instead of “for the link” only just but “fkbstjnv” instead of “donating”? Who writes this auto correct program?

• 7 Our Toon // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Jib

In Europe they have a mid season break, Saivet was signed in January, could he have been on holiday for the mid season break?

• 8 Our Toon // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Interesting and disturbing insight that British players should be preferred and they have more fight…..speaks volumes for our recruitment this season as well. Let’s hope it’s not so next season.

Wasn’t given a fair crack of the whip but he’s gone now so time to move on

• 9 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:04 AM

But Tsunki…. we can build a well to serve a whole african village if we fkbst 2 poinds a month.

• 10 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:05 AM

Pounds

• 11 martoon // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:07 AM

He might have not played much but I’m sure it was a nice little earner for him. I don’t think he’ll be offering to pay back his wages as he didn’t play much so it wasn’t all bad was it?

• 12 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Our Toon

I am not sure things are quite the way Henri has been quoted as saying. Plenty gets lost in translation in many of these interviews.

• 13 Tsunki // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Well here’s some translation for Henri.

You were too cack to play in our first team. ‘Bye.

• 14 Jib // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:10 AM

Our Toon
    France abondoned the mid season break last season as did Serie A I think.
    The pressures of TV methinks – and anyway in Germany the mid season break generally means warm weather training camp not vacation.

• 15 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Jib@2 – are you suggesting that there was some sort of impropiety with our Chief Scout Graham Carr and our CEO Lee Charnley in terms of signing Mondial players?

• 16 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:13 AM

Tsunki

As long as your Autocorrect doesnt translate it, it will be fine.

• 17 Jib // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:18 AM

Tsunki
    I don’t think he was too cack.
    I think McClaren was making a pitiful attempt at some sort of statement about HIS team.
    Rafa saw no point in picking him as he was a gone goose .

• 18 Tsunki // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Nope Mark I’ll leave it up to the expert.

• 19 Jib // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:21 AM

Frenchy
    Within the game I don’t think it’s regarded as impropriety – just a lot of back scratching and favours returned.
    There’s so much money in the EPL trough that every pig can get his snout in.

• 20 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Avee vu borrow some milk, mon Aimeeee. Merseee mosewer Henrik Saveloy.

• 21 Tsunki // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:22 AM

On what do you pin your assessment of Saivets’ dearth of general cackiness then Jib? If he was cheap and here, why would Rafa dismiss him? Best credit I’ll give the lad is he was a foreign player too far in Rafas vision of a team with a local fighting core of championship-savvy players. But that still means he was one of the worst foreign players. Surplus to requirements.

• 22 Tsunki // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:24 AM

Well that’s better than my gfuyggyn and the fvjkohggn as well not to mention ffhjjiggt!!! Who’d have thought fsswqbb? Dear oh dear whatever next, eh?

• 23 beermonkey // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:26 AM

jib

given the amount of mondial flops we have bought
    when will we get one of these so called favours returned

• 24 Blofal // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:33 AM

“Jail for Ashley // Sep 6, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Blofal,
    Sometimes there’s a very good reason why certain players aren’t given chances.”

Jail I agree entirely. At every other club. At ours anything goes!

• 25 Jib // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:37 AM

beermonkey
    Cabaye BenArfa Sissoko Thauvin Cabella Debuchy Saivet Riviere
    In France that would be considered the basis of a fair team
    We may well see the favour returned in the next couple of windows – they have some cracking players on their books
    I also understand how we lost out on Dmitri Payet – they have Slaven Bilic as a client as well !

• 26 Shadow_Shearer // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:37 AM

I still believe saviet cuuld have been a useful addition to the team. I dint understand why either manager gave him a chance, & understand his fustration.

• 27 Tsunki // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Let’s see him pull up some trees back home I suppose eh?

• 28 Our Toon // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Damned if you are honest and Damned if you are not, that seems to be the rule on here about former players or players that have moved on.

Was he given a chance here? No he wasn’t, good luck to him for the future

• 29 Belfast // Sep 6, 2016 at 11:56 AM

It all went down hill for him when Munster tipped him to be a great signing.

• 30 Belfast // Sep 6, 2016 at 12:00 PM

He was another one of those signings that didn’t really make any sense at the time. There’s been a few of them alright.

• 31 Average_Contents // Sep 6, 2016 at 12:02 PM

Ahhhh it’s jesper lol.

• 32 Jail for Ashley // Sep 6, 2016 at 12:02 PM

Trouble was though Belfits it made perfect sense to Mashers, Churners and Carrsy and that’s why we got relegated.

• 33 Jib // Sep 6, 2016 at 12:12 PM

Do you think these 2 could be connected ?

Sports Direct International plc will be hosting an Open Day on Wednesday, 7 September 2016, at its premises in Shirebrook. The purpose of the Open Day is to enable the Board to engage with as many people as possible in an open discussion about the business.

The Open Day will commence with the Annual General Meeting, which is being held at 11.00am in the Auditorium, Unit D, Brook Park East, Shirebrook, NG20 8RY. The Board would also like to extend an invitation to the Annual General Meeting to those who are not shareholders of the Company, but who may wish to attend as observers.

• 34 Belfast // Sep 6, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Yes it works !

Fyi: Jespers mug shot will be accompanying my inspirational comments from here onwards.

• 35 Belfast // Sep 6, 2016 at 12:17 PM

That was probably about the tenth time I’ve tried to do it but sure. 🙂

• 36 Tsunki // Sep 6, 2016 at 12:18 PM

Hang on, what’s the basis for “wasn’t given a chance?” the hours of training sessions under several coaches, the last one to run his rule over him was Benitez. I’m sure one of the first things Benitez would do is consider what if any selection mistakes were made by the previous fumbling incumbents, and not dismiss any players out of hand until he had fully assessed them. The guy had more than one chance in that case, and he was still deemed recyclable. He wasn’t good enough to keep. End.

• 37 Laurent Robert The Legend // Sep 6, 2016 at 12:24 PM

If Saviet was not given chance..what about doumbia?

• 38 Belfast // Sep 6, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Aye if he’d have showed any potential he probably would have been kept in our current predicament.

It’s another one of those deals where we’re heavily subsidising the wages. So desperate to move on we’re paying for someone to take them.

• 39 Tsunki // Sep 6, 2016 at 12:34 PM

What about Chucky Ferreyra?

• 40 Tsunki // Sep 6, 2016 at 12:38 PM

I like that line “he talks tactics – a little too much at times” aaahh I see where you’re coming from Henri. 7th grade.

• 41 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 6, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Did Jesper leave the blog for ever?

• 42 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 6, 2016 at 12:45 PM

Was it over that Spit Roasting Captains business??

• 43 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 6, 2016 at 12:45 PM

Rotating. Sorry. Rotating captains. I often make that mistake.

• 44 Shadow_Shearer // Sep 6, 2016 at 12:53 PM

Can u imagine pardew talking about tactics?? Give the ball to the wingers & cross to the big man, papis cisse! Now il give myself a pat on the back.

• 45 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 6, 2016 at 12:55 PM

The way I read the Henri Saviet situation, it seems that, since Rafa backed the experienced players last season, he was essentially frozen out. As a result, coming back this season to a relegated side probably felt futile. Even if he DOES have the ability to fit in, it’s unlikely he would have been motivated enough to show it in training, and therefore it’s better all round that he leaves. Good luck to him.

• 46 Spoof // Sep 6, 2016 at 12:57 PM

It was unfortunate for Saivet but you would have thought that if he was good enough he would have shown enough in training to at least give himself a chance, the fact that he wasn’t given a chance does make you wonder, however exactly the same could be said about Gouffran, and he only got a chance due to Aarons being injured and with us not getting a LW on board when we really needed one so the Gouff was given a lifeline, at times lady luck can be on your side, but she can also be against you, the Gouff may have hit lucky whereas fortune never gave Saivet a chance.

• 47 Belfast // Sep 6, 2016 at 12:58 PM

Spit roasting ?? lol

Aye he buggered off after that.

• 48 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 6, 2016 at 12:59 PM

Jib@19. Fair enough. I’ll embrace the “pigs” analogy, which does appeal to me, and leave it there.

• 49 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 6, 2016 at 1:02 PM

Spoof

Goofy has an advantage in his attitude. He obviously isn’t the greatest, but he gives everything he has. So far he has turned in good performances, and is easily good enough for this league. I think while Aaroms is out, Goofy and Perez will be covering the left side AM role.

• 50 Our Toon // Sep 6, 2016 at 1:12 PM

Spoof and YCMIU

Spoof you nailed it mate with that comment mate, gouffran got his chance through luck but has taken advantage of it.

Players play differently in training than in match days, to truly know if someone is good enough they must get game time if they were deemed good enough to sign. At the time we had colback…..not the best in his role and tiote who actually is the best of the lot in his role.

Obertan was the best player in training according to fergie, but come game time he was piss poor.

• 51 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 6, 2016 at 1:15 PM

Our toon

We used to hear the same about Shola. Used to tear it up in training, but gave us 1 good game in 15 or so.

• 52 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 6, 2016 at 1:18 PM

We haven’t had a surprise package in the ranks since the great Sibierski!

• 53 LGFUAD21 // Sep 6, 2016 at 1:20 PM

It’s a shame that I dont think this lad will ever get a chance to prove himself in this league.

He was hit and miss in his handful of cameos but sadly not really given the time or opportunity. Not that we could afford to give him that with the state we were in.

Always struck me as an odd player. I saw him play some solid games as a winger at Bordeaux but then he converted to DM where he was rated even higher.

As for Gouffran.

I often wonder about him. He was solid when he first came, then Pardew seemed to put the locks on him and turned him into a defensive wing forward. He looked a bit broken at times and definitely like he had lost his shooting boots. Hopefully he can be reborn in this league and do what Jonas did for us last time.

• 54 LGFUAD21 // Sep 6, 2016 at 1:22 PM

I do wish we had brought in another left winger though.

We cant really judge Atsu but we knew Aarons wasnt reliable and I really dont rate Perez out wide.

As good as Perez is and as great as he can be, he still has a long way to go to firm up his position in our starting line up. I think we need to start playing Murphy or Mitro to have a big man up top.

• 55 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 6, 2016 at 1:27 PM

LGF

If we start Mitro or Murphy, what do we do with Gayle. He surely can’t be dropped if fit. He has found his scoring boots early.

• 56 LGFUAD21 // Sep 6, 2016 at 1:29 PM

YCMIU

Gayle either play up top with them, number 10 or out on the left.

I think Gayle could be even better with a big man to help him out and support him.

• 57 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 6, 2016 at 1:38 PM

LGF

Yeah if we play 2 strikers then he fits in no bother. If rafa sticks to 4231 then i’m not sure if we will play a big man. I do like the idea, though. I think we’d carry more threat with Gayle and a big man playing.

• 58 Spoof // Sep 6, 2016 at 1:45 PM

YCMIU

If teams continue to park the bus which is a very strong possibility then I can see Rafa abandoning his preferred 4-5-1 as 5 in the middle will not be needed and play a 4-4-2, I actually think that is why he desided to go for another striker as all we had was Mitro, Gayle and Perez, if your playing two then you could be short, but now that we have Murphy we are much stronger.

However looking at the fixture list coming up I expect it to be a 4-5-1 due to the opposition, it could be October before we see the 4-4-2, but I think we will see it, I’m convinced that’s why we bought Murphy, could we possibly keep 4 strikers happy if we only ever played one of them, even in this multi-games league they would be looking at an average 12/13/14 games depending how far we go in the cups, I think we will see 4-4-2 more than 4-5-1, but not just yet due to the fixtures.

• 59 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 6, 2016 at 2:08 PM

I don’t think we have to change anything about the team. We played well against Brighton with the starting 11 that we had. Only change I would make is Lazaar for Dummett. Murphy and Mitro are good impact Subs because they will change the game entirely if it’s not working with Diame and Gayle.

• 60 Spoof // Sep 6, 2016 at 2:08 PM

Upcoming fixtures

Derby v Newcastle
    QPR v Newcastle
    Newcastle v Wolves
    Newcastle v Wolves
    Aston Villa v Newcastle
    Newcastle v Norwich

As I say, I expect a predominantly 4-5-1, but come October/November it could be 4-4-2 throughout.

Oct/Nov fixtures

Rotherham v Newcastle
    Newcastle v Brentford
    Barnsley v Newcastle
    Newcastle v Ipswich
    Preston v Newcastle

Newcastle v Cardiff
    Leeds v Newcastle
    Newcastle v Blackburn.

• 61 Tsunki // Sep 6, 2016 at 2:09 PM

I’ve a feeling any chance of Jesper coming round and doing an about turn on his self-imposed exile will be slim now that Belfast has taken to spinning out his ribbing by posting that image on his name. It has the ring of bullying about it, even if it’s a circular way of doing it. Puts a bit of a negative spin on things really 🙂

• 62 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 6, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Diame and Ritchie are our best signings this window in my opinion.

• 63 Spoof // Sep 6, 2016 at 2:10 PM

YMFB

It’s Rafa don’t forget, as a result there will be changes lol.

• 64 Tsunki // Sep 6, 2016 at 2:11 PM

Well I think I can afford a tenner watching the wolves cup tie on the 20th. Be good if the autumn weather hasn’t kicked in by then. That last cup match was surreal in a tropical feel kind of way.

• 65 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 6, 2016 at 2:13 PM

Spoof, perhaps. But that’s down to the amount of games that we are going to be taking part in. I was thinking simply about our next game mate. Sure I agree that the teams going to change, but for next game I would keep it the same.

• 66 Tsunki // Sep 6, 2016 at 2:16 PM

Rafas tactical prowess compared to McCardew is world’s apart. Rotation serves not just to ease the exhausting schedule but to continually confound opponents as to what shape they have to deal with. Even with a squad big enough at their disposal McCardew didn’t have strong enough elastic in his latex drawers to do anything but stick with what he knew week in week out.

• 67 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 6, 2016 at 2:19 PM

Spoof
    as I said about after the Reading game if we can be in the top three at the end of September then we look like we will be in a very good position and set fair for the season – hopefully!!!

Anyway to Saturday evening what teamed you think he will start with…

could it be a team of 11 RAFA signings from this transfer window.

Also we have got to lay a few bogies this season – i.e.
    Derby A – don’t know the last time we won
    Norwich A – I think it was Keegan’s promotion season
    Brighton A – Canny while since a win there too
    Wigan A – bad record there too!!
    Blackburn A – nowt clever there either
    Forest A – Ain’t clever there too!

And there the ones of the top of my Heed!!!

• 68 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 6, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Ymfb

Don’t forget Perez was leading the line v brighton because gayle and mitro were out with knacked bonces. I would think Gayle at least will return ve Derby.

• 69 Spoof // Sep 6, 2016 at 2:23 PM

YMFB

It was a good perfofmance and result against Brighton but in all honesty Perez as the lone striker was like a fish out of water, and as we know that when it comes to being a lone striker we have Gayle, Mitro and Murphy who are all better equipped to do that role so for me it is almost a formality that there will be a change there, we also have Yedlin with more time to settle in and Atsu and Lazaar to consider, including Murphy I don’t expect to see any of then start, but at the same time I don’t expect to see Perez lead the line as a lone striker.

• 70 hibbit // Sep 6, 2016 at 2:29 PM

ymfb
    how many times have you seen Lazaar play to drop Dummett and slot him straight in ?
    in the last game Dummett had possibly the best winger in the league under control why drop him
    Lazarr time will come but Dummett did nothing to be dropped for

previous post: Henri Saivet Vents Against Newcastle – It Was Horrible