Newcastle Goalkeeper Gets New Four Year Deal

Newcastle have just announced that Rob Elliot has signed a new improved four year contract at the club.

It had been rumored for a couple of weeks that Rob would get a new deal after he was magnificent for the club last season when he came in and deputized for the injured Tim Krul.

He was our Player of the Season for Newcastle last season.

ropb elliot - new deal

Rob Elliot signing his new deal

This is what the club have issued on their web-site.

====

Goalkeeper Rob Elliot has signed a new four-year contract with Newcastle United.

The Republic of Ireland international was the Club’s player of the season last term and is nearing full fitness following the knee injury which kept him out of the final few games of the 2015/16 campaign.

And as his return to action moves closer, he has agreed to commit his future to the Magpies until at
least 2020.

====

Rob Elliot joined Newcastle from Charlton Athletic five years ago and he had this to say after signing his new deal:

“I’m delighted. Personally, I had a good run in the team last year but I was obviously gutted at the end with the injury, so it’s a real confidence-booster that the Club have put their faith in me.”

“It’s helped my rehab as well, because it’s something to work towards, and it ties everything up perfectly.”

“Now so I can look forward to the future, commit to getting back fit and hopefully getting us back to where we want to be.”

Manager Rafa Benitez added the following:

“I’m really pleased that Rob has signed a new contract with the Club.”

“It shows our confidence in him as a goalkeeper for now and for the future. Hopefully he will be challenging for the goalkeeper position again very soon.”

Rob Elliot is not only a very good player who has continually improved at Newcastle, but he is a great character and a strong voice in the dressing room; he also loves playing for Newcastle.

Rob’s also very popular with the Geordie fans.

So well done Rob – you’ve earned your new deal!

• Tsunki

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:49 PM

Well done Rob, or Fat Rob as some cruelly called you for no reason. (me for example ha ha) but no, seriously a very capable keeps at a bargain price.

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Eh, but he’s got no resale value. Jib, jibberish, you said Rafa doesn’t sign players to sit on the bench, bonny lad. Is this a new tactic, two keepers, is it allowed even!

• WWSBRD

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:11 PM

Well Rafa cant make no mistakes I suppose

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:18 PM

WW…,
    Unbelievable business getting him to stay at what is probably third choice. It’s amazing actually watching a proper manager at work
    instead of these last three imposters we’ve had. Personally I think the purple policy suited Pardew down to the ground, he honestly would have been stumped with a big squad.

• Vask

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Strong voice in the dressing room? Who said that?

• Tsunki

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:21 PM

Rob has increased his net worth no doubt about that. Now Darlow has a fight on his hands to prove it’s between him and Sels for the number one shirt. Competition for places.

• Tsunki

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:23 PM

I expect that one of the first training regimes Rafa got his beady eye set upon was goalkeepers. Our record for goalie injuries is shocking. To have first and second out with ligament injuries (I don’t care where they got them) is beyond coincidence.

• WWSBRD

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:25 PM

JfA
    Sels, Darlow, Krul and Woodman I wouldn’t have Elliott 3rf on that list

I don’t see the point in keeping him tbh

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:28 PM

WW…,
    Woodman needs to go out on loan. I listened to an interview with Jakarta Alnwick, he was very bitter toward the club for not allowing him out on loan, he got thrown straight in at the deep end. Keeping Elliott allows him to go to a league

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Allows Woodman to go to a league one club and breeds very healthy competition for places. You now have two good keepers battling to be number two, or three good keepers battling for the number one.

• WWSBRD

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:32 PM

JfA
    He does certainly but thats no dependant on Elliott signing a new deal is it? He’s crocked until new year anyway

• hibbit

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:32 PM

WWSBRD

Krul is gone and more than likely won’t be back
    Elliot is well worth keeping if he’s happy to stay still time for Woodman to go out on loan

• Geordinho

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:36 PM

So, Tim Krul’s Newcastle career is over

• Tsunki

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Jak Alnwick had a good point about not going on loan. How long have we been banging on here about the shoddy state of the academy and reserves, the state of stupor it was all in, the gulf to reaching first team was huge. They should have loaned out players who were just treading water to see if they could progress, they certainly weren’t in our reserves. Suddenly Alnwick found himself pulling the Jersey on against Chelsea ha ha I bet he had tight elastic on his shorts for that one 🙂 I will always enjoy Costa’s jaw breaker though.

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:40 PM

WW…,
    Circumstances, Woodman will have to wait till January, in the past, Sels would definitely not have been signed. Darlow would have played with fingers crossed he stayed fit no matter how poorly he played and Woodman fed to the lions if Darlow was injured or sent off. Keeping an Irish international who’s prepared to fight for his place is excellent business. Imo of course.

• Ian Toon

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:42 PM

It’s a whole new ball game . A complete mood change with high expectations. For many before Benitez we would have been happy with a feeling of progression compared to the stagnation of Carver and the doom, gloom and division of recent seasons.

Fans posted their list of managers we needed to be pursuing but without any real belief of such appointments. The perfect type for me was always someone who wanted to establish a presence and to make their mark on a club who had become disconnected from their fan base. Someone who would view the appointment as a long term project to build the club root and branch to achieve what we all want a football club that can compete and we can be proud of. That was the biggest positive of all when Benitez got the gig.

Despite the disappointment that relegation entails it is the biggest positive of all. Reluctantly I sense a mood change on the blog and a realistic appraisal of where we are and where we need to be. Hopefully less harping back and more looking forward.

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:44 PM

Says Ian who only this morning posted a long drawn out essay he’d probably posted twice before from 2012.

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:50 PM

For me we had to be as good as relegated for a change to have taken place, if we’d scraped a point against Stoke and been as lucky against Bmouth as the first leg gawd knows what shite we’d be up to our necks in now.

• WWSBRD

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:54 PM

hibbitt
    Krul is still on the books and signed a new contract before going out on loan, if he’d plan to leave why sign that and forgo the free agent signing on fee?
    And if all u need to be is happy to stay to deserve a new contract that’s very disappointing

JfA
    True but 4 more years of Elliott? We don’t need 4 more years so Woodman can get a loan

• WWSBRD

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:55 PM

And Irish international isn’t all that good tbf, he was behind Millwalls keeper

• Tsunki

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:07 PM

Ian, are you an arborist?

• Tsunki

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:08 PM

I don’t fink Yo likes Frob.

• Tsunki

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:11 PM

Gasp! Four more years of Elliot! (head in hands) 😀

• WWSBRD

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:17 PM

Tsunki
    Am not a member of the fan club I confess

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:25 PM

WW…,
    For me it’s a no brainer, he’s in his peak as a keeper and provides excellent competition and back up, so for a keeper as good as him to commit for four years after we’ve just signed the Belgian number two shows a complete change in direction for the club. It is essential Woodman establishes himself as a number one league one keeper then at a top Championship club, all the while we have a healthy choice of keepers to choose from.

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Anita has just been given a new improved deal!

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:27 PM

I wonder if Forster would have stayed had Rafa beeb running the show?

• Ian Toon

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:31 PM

I can control pests and there excesses. I’ll get Jail looking forward and not living in the past. He needed to be reminded of the path taken and the obstacles along the way. He behaves as if he’s the only one who’s suffered.

You we’re a likeable rogue and your kitchen fitting sketches always entertaining. Not everything has changed for the better.

• WWSBRD

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:32 PM

JfA
    But he has never offered competition…barely even kept himself fit enough to play and he loves an injury. 4 more years of a downgraded Steve Harper

Swear down if Anita has a new deal I may have to resign from this blog

• Mister Tuff

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Hahahaha – Ian Toon – fickle fan supreme.
    You forget you gave it large about King Percy and even wrote letters to him.
    You then jumped onto another horse – Wally Brolly – and gave it large about his “bwave new world” (what a load of shyte).
    Now you changed horses yet again and Rafa is the man.

Please let others give an overview of our history – folk who do not distort facts.
    Be off with you, you scally.

• hibbit

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:41 PM

WWSBRD

if that’s how you feel with the way Rafa’s running the club maybe you should just go now
    both Anita and Elliot are very good squad players both will be need in what is a very long season

• Ian Toon

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:42 PM

No Fraser Forster was always ambitious as befits a product of The Royal Grammar school. He was the all round sportsman good at Football, Rugby and cricket. Not unlike Johnny Bairstow. He was never going to settle for not being no 1- he should have been I. Front of Hart.

• WWSBRD

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:52 PM

hibbitt
    Haha tell me what u really mean bud

I have never rated either Anita or Elliott (though in fairness I have said I think Anita is a good RB if his ego allows him to understand that) but I now should be happy to see then extend their stay at NUFC because we are in the Championship for (imo) 1 season? They arent good enough for NUFC

• Krul To Be Kind

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:53 PM

WWSBRD

When Ford of Milwall had the Ireland No 1 jersey he was playing very well in a very poor Championship side whilst Elliot was our second choice. When Elliot started regularly for us he then took over the No 1 spot and now it’s gone to Randolph of West Ham in the interim. Losing Elliot from the Euro squad for Ireland was a big miss IMO for character and ability.

Glad he got the new deal, if he can stay injury free when he returns we have a great keeper in him about to come into his peak years.

I for one am still not convinced in Sels early doors but obviously he has potential, I personally would have started the season with Darlow to let Sels settle more, I thought Darlow finished last season strongly and dropping him was harsh.

• Belfast

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:54 PM

I hear he was egged of the stage in the weatherfield arms the other night Ian.

Retirement beckons.

• Belfast

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:16 PM

New deal for Anita!

Krul
    I thought it was very harsh on Darlow myself. I was very surprised we signed a goalkeeper tbh.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:40 PM

Four years is a bit long, but maybe there had to be some give to get him to agree a deal which virtually assures him of being a back up for the rest of his best years.

Overall it is good to have him signed on, and leaves us strong in that area.

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:43 PM

Only joking about Anita btw, I was trying to get rid of WW…, once and for all. Mwhaha

• Krul To Be Kind

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Elliot is a good keeper and I’d imagine relatively low wages and fights for his place with a good attitude not too dissimilar to Harps to be fair… an excellent pro and good club man 4 years is about right for me given the stage he is at in his career

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Lilongwe,
    Aye, that’s what I thought, two years as back up might have made him look else where for a move and a better deal. Four years probably sets him up for life and gives us a very good back up keeper in the mean time.