The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Goalkeeper Gets New Four Year Deal

3:43 pm, Wednesday, September 7th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 67 Comments

Newcastle have just announced that Rob Elliot has signed a new improved four year contract at the club.

It had been rumored for a couple of weeks that Rob would get a new deal after he was magnificent for the club last season when he came in and deputized for the injured Tim Krul.

He was our Player of the Season for Newcastle last season.

ropb elliot - new deal

Rob Elliot signing his new deal

This is what the club have issued on their web-site.

Goalkeeper Rob Elliot has signed a new four-year contract with Newcastle United.

The Republic of Ireland international was the Club’s player of the season last term and is nearing full fitness following the knee injury which kept him out of the final few games of the 2015/16 campaign.

And as his return to action moves closer, he has agreed to commit his future to the Magpies until at
least 2020.

Rob Elliot joined Newcastle from Charlton Athletic five years ago and he had this to say after signing his new deal:

“I’m delighted. Personally, I had a good run in the team last year but I was obviously gutted at the end with the injury, so it’s a real confidence-booster that the Club have put their faith in me.”

“It’s helped my rehab as well, because it’s something to work towards, and it ties everything up perfectly.”

“Now so I can look forward to the future, commit to getting back fit and hopefully getting us back to where we want to be.”

Manager Rafa Benitez added the following:

“I’m really pleased that Rob has signed a new contract with the Club.”

“It shows our confidence in him as a goalkeeper for now and for the future. Hopefully he will be challenging for the goalkeeper position again very soon.”

Rob Elliot is not only a very good player who has continually improved at Newcastle, but he is a great character and a strong voice in the dressing room; he also loves playing for Newcastle.

Rob’s also very popular with the Geordie fans.

So well done Rob – you’ve earned your new deal!

Tags: Championship · Contracts · Newcastle News · Rob Elliot

67 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Sep 7, 2016 at 3:49 PM

Well done Rob, or Fat Rob as some cruelly called you for no reason. (me for example ha ha) but no, seriously a very capable keeps at a bargain price.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:09 PM

Eh, but he’s got no resale value. Jib, jibberish, you said Rafa doesn’t sign players to sit on the bench, bonny lad. Is this a new tactic, two keepers, is it allowed even!

• 3 WWSBRD // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:11 PM

Well Rafa cant make no mistakes I suppose

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:18 PM

Unbelievable business getting him to stay at what is probably third choice. It’s amazing actually watching a proper manager at work
    instead of these last three imposters we’ve had. Personally I think the purple policy suited Pardew down to the ground, he honestly would have been stumped with a big squad.

• 5 Vask // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Strong voice in the dressing room? Who said that?

• 6 Tsunki // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:21 PM

Rob has increased his net worth no doubt about that. Now Darlow has a fight on his hands to prove it’s between him and Sels for the number one shirt. Competition for places.

• 7 Tsunki // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:23 PM

I expect that one of the first training regimes Rafa got his beady eye set upon was goalkeepers. Our record for goalie injuries is shocking. To have first and second out with ligament injuries (I don’t care where they got them) is beyond coincidence.

• 8 WWSBRD // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:25 PM

Sels, Darlow, Krul and Woodman I wouldn’t have Elliott 3rf on that list

I don’t see the point in keeping him tbh

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:28 PM

Woodman needs to go out on loan. I listened to an interview with Jakarta Alnwick, he was very bitter toward the club for not allowing him out on loan, he got thrown straight in at the deep end. Keeping Elliott allows him to go to a league

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:30 PM

Allows Woodman to go to a league one club and breeds very healthy competition for places. You now have two good keepers battling to be number two, or three good keepers battling for the number one.

• 11 WWSBRD // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:32 PM

He does certainly but thats no dependant on Elliott signing a new deal is it? He’s crocked until new year anyway

• 12 hibbit // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:32 PM

Krul is gone and more than likely won’t be back
    Elliot is well worth keeping if he’s happy to stay still time for Woodman to go out on loan

• 13 Geordinho // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:36 PM

So, Tim Krul’s Newcastle career is over

• 14 Tsunki // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Jak Alnwick had a good point about not going on loan. How long have we been banging on here about the shoddy state of the academy and reserves, the state of stupor it was all in, the gulf to reaching first team was huge. They should have loaned out players who were just treading water to see if they could progress, they certainly weren’t in our reserves. Suddenly Alnwick found himself pulling the Jersey on against Chelsea ha ha I bet he had tight elastic on his shorts for that one 🙂 I will always enjoy Costa’s jaw breaker though.

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:40 PM

Circumstances, Woodman will have to wait till January, in the past, Sels would definitely not have been signed. Darlow would have played with fingers crossed he stayed fit no matter how poorly he played and Woodman fed to the lions if Darlow was injured or sent off. Keeping an Irish international who’s prepared to fight for his place is excellent business. Imo of course.

• 16 Ian Toon // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:42 PM

It’s a whole new ball game . A complete mood change with high expectations. For many before Benitez we would have been happy with a feeling of progression compared to the stagnation of Carver and the doom, gloom and division of recent seasons.

Fans posted their list of managers we needed to be pursuing but without any real belief of such appointments. The perfect type for me was always someone who wanted to establish a presence and to make their mark on a club who had become disconnected from their fan base. Someone who would view the appointment as a long term project to build the club root and branch to achieve what we all want a football club that can compete and we can be proud of. That was the biggest positive of all when Benitez got the gig.

Despite the disappointment that relegation entails it is the biggest positive of all. Reluctantly I sense a mood change on the blog and a realistic appraisal of where we are and where we need to be. Hopefully less harping back and more looking forward.

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:44 PM

Says Ian who only this morning posted a long drawn out essay he’d probably posted twice before from 2012.

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:50 PM

For me we had to be as good as relegated for a change to have taken place, if we’d scraped a point against Stoke and been as lucky against Bmouth as the first leg gawd knows what shite we’d be up to our necks in now.

• 19 WWSBRD // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:54 PM

Krul is still on the books and signed a new contract before going out on loan, if he’d plan to leave why sign that and forgo the free agent signing on fee?
    And if all u need to be is happy to stay to deserve a new contract that’s very disappointing

True but 4 more years of Elliott? We don’t need 4 more years so Woodman can get a loan

• 20 WWSBRD // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:55 PM

And Irish international isn’t all that good tbf, he was behind Millwalls keeper

• 21 Tsunki // Sep 7, 2016 at 5:07 PM

Ian, are you an arborist?

• 22 Tsunki // Sep 7, 2016 at 5:08 PM

I don’t fink Yo likes Frob.

• 23 Tsunki // Sep 7, 2016 at 5:11 PM

Gasp! Four more years of Elliot! (head in hands) 😀

• 24 WWSBRD // Sep 7, 2016 at 5:17 PM

Am not a member of the fan club I confess

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2016 at 5:25 PM

For me it’s a no brainer, he’s in his peak as a keeper and provides excellent competition and back up, so for a keeper as good as him to commit for four years after we’ve just signed the Belgian number two shows a complete change in direction for the club. It is essential Woodman establishes himself as a number one league one keeper then at a top Championship club, all the while we have a healthy choice of keepers to choose from.

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2016 at 5:26 PM

Anita has just been given a new improved deal!

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2016 at 5:27 PM

I wonder if Forster would have stayed had Rafa beeb running the show?

• 28 Ian Toon // Sep 7, 2016 at 5:31 PM

I can control pests and there excesses. I’ll get Jail looking forward and not living in the past. He needed to be reminded of the path taken and the obstacles along the way. He behaves as if he’s the only one who’s suffered.

You we’re a likeable rogue and your kitchen fitting sketches always entertaining. Not everything has changed for the better.

• 29 WWSBRD // Sep 7, 2016 at 5:32 PM

But he has never offered competition…barely even kept himself fit enough to play and he loves an injury. 4 more years of a downgraded Steve Harper

Swear down if Anita has a new deal I may have to resign from this blog

• 30 Mister Tuff // Sep 7, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Hahahaha – Ian Toon – fickle fan supreme.
    You forget you gave it large about King Percy and even wrote letters to him.
    You then jumped onto another horse – Wally Brolly – and gave it large about his “bwave new world” (what a load of shyte).
    Now you changed horses yet again and Rafa is the man.

Please let others give an overview of our history – folk who do not distort facts.
    Be off with you, you scally.

• 31 hibbit // Sep 7, 2016 at 5:41 PM

if that’s how you feel with the way Rafa’s running the club maybe you should just go now
    both Anita and Elliot are very good squad players both will be need in what is a very long season

• 32 Ian Toon // Sep 7, 2016 at 5:42 PM

No Fraser Forster was always ambitious as befits a product of The Royal Grammar school. He was the all round sportsman good at Football, Rugby and cricket. Not unlike Johnny Bairstow. He was never going to settle for not being no 1- he should have been I. Front of Hart.

• 33 WWSBRD // Sep 7, 2016 at 5:52 PM

Haha tell me what u really mean bud

I have never rated either Anita or Elliott (though in fairness I have said I think Anita is a good RB if his ego allows him to understand that) but I now should be happy to see then extend their stay at NUFC because we are in the Championship for (imo) 1 season? They arent good enough for NUFC

• 34 Krul To Be Kind // Sep 7, 2016 at 5:53 PM

When Ford of Milwall had the Ireland No 1 jersey he was playing very well in a very poor Championship side whilst Elliot was our second choice. When Elliot started regularly for us he then took over the No 1 spot and now it’s gone to Randolph of West Ham in the interim. Losing Elliot from the Euro squad for Ireland was a big miss IMO for character and ability.

Glad he got the new deal, if he can stay injury free when he returns we have a great keeper in him about to come into his peak years.

I for one am still not convinced in Sels early doors but obviously he has potential, I personally would have started the season with Darlow to let Sels settle more, I thought Darlow finished last season strongly and dropping him was harsh.

• 35 Belfast // Sep 7, 2016 at 5:54 PM

I hear he was egged of the stage in the weatherfield arms the other night Ian.

Retirement beckons.

• 36 Belfast // Sep 7, 2016 at 6:16 PM

New deal for Anita!

I thought it was very harsh on Darlow myself. I was very surprised we signed a goalkeeper tbh.

• 37 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 7, 2016 at 6:40 PM

Four years is a bit long, but maybe there had to be some give to get him to agree a deal which virtually assures him of being a back up for the rest of his best years.

Overall it is good to have him signed on, and leaves us strong in that area.

• 38 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2016 at 6:43 PM

Only joking about Anita btw, I was trying to get rid of WW…, once and for all. Mwhaha

• 39 Krul To Be Kind // Sep 7, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Elliot is a good keeper and I’d imagine relatively low wages and fights for his place with a good attitude not too dissimilar to Harps to be fair… an excellent pro and good club man 4 years is about right for me given the stage he is at in his career

• 40 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Aye, that’s what I thought, two years as back up might have made him look else where for a move and a better deal. Four years probably sets him up for life and gives us a very good back up keeper in the mean time.

• 41 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 7, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Yeah, that’s how I see it. Nice to see a bit of flexibility in approach.

• 42 WWSBRD // Sep 7, 2016 at 6:53 PM

If he was fighting for his place Krul wouldn’t of stagnated and he’d stay in shape, for me he can’t believe his luck

U made me google him…twice u swine. Actually Anita can have another contract so long as it’s written in he only plays RB

• 43 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 7, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Also nice to see a bloke turn it around through effort and hard work, leading to some good displays. After his rant at fans re Pardew a few years back it had looked like he was finished here as far as fans feelings toward him went.

• 44 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 7, 2016 at 6:55 PM

Ian Toon // Sep 7, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Ian, pushy, carl, the only belief that wasn’t their was from the Pardew apologists, like yourself, who didn’t believe anything other than acceptance of his dismal time here.

Most of the crew/rabble/unit/group/mob wanted this type of appointment (Rafa) believed all along that we should not have to put up with serial underachievers in charge, hence the demonstrations.

That’s exactly why the Pardew Out campaign was there.

What a surprise, one man is making sweeping changes to the whole club…

• 45 cyprus // Sep 7, 2016 at 6:58 PM

So he’s gone from 16k to what, 20k? In football terms it doesn’t sound like much but in the real world it isn’t too bad.

In football terms though, Obertan was on 40, Gouffran is on 55. Hmm

• 46 cyprus // Sep 7, 2016 at 6:59 PM

He surprised me as a goalie. Expected the worst, he was brilliant.

• 47 cyprus // Sep 7, 2016 at 7:03 PM

A guy on 55 k a week should be kick ass. We are pleasantly surprised when he plays well. BTW, not picking on him he’s a nice lad and puts in a shift. And maybe he was ‘pardewed’.

Does THAT word still exist?

• 48 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2016 at 7:06 PM

Not sure what he’s earning but for me he’s a new Harper, a quality keeper who’s prepared to fight for his place. Despite what Ian Toon says I’m not sure what the situation with Forster would have been if Rafa had been in charge, maybe Rafa would have spotted the better keeper from the off and persuaded Krul to fight for his place.

• 49 cyprus // Sep 7, 2016 at 7:12 PM

Agreed. Good to have a Harper type around. I’m a bit surprised he didn’t seek greener pastures, he’d be s starter in a (another) championship club.

• 50 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2016 at 7:23 PM

Mine and Lilongwe’s point, money talks, a four year deal sets him up for life, genuine shot at the CL in four years as well, he’ll not get that anywhere else.

• 51 Tsunki // Sep 7, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Ian I seem to have forgotten the Kitchen Fitter Routine, kindly point me to it would you? I doubt it’s as bad as the scarlet pimpernel routine you’ve been pulling for years.

• 52 Tsunki // Sep 7, 2016 at 7:44 PM

Ian – the reason I asked if you were into arboriculture was because I can’t remember the last post you did where you didn’t say “root and branch”. You’re obviously too good to be a gardener as you don’t favour “grass roots” much.

• 53 SUTTY1978 // Sep 7, 2016 at 7:44 PM

Forster was allowed to go on the basis of one preseason friendly in which he dropped a right clanger. Might have been against Leeds. Prior to that everyone had big hopes for him, after that he was written off by all.

• 54 Tsunki // Sep 7, 2016 at 7:52 PM

I think everyone thought when he went to Celtic that he was a big loss and was probably too good to bench for Krul. There were a few on here saying we shouldn’t let him go. In hindsight another blunder.

• 55 Tsunki // Sep 7, 2016 at 7:57 PM

LR32 @44 – well said.

• 56 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 7, 2016 at 8:08 PM

Yeah, it was Leeds where he had dropped a clanger. He was still the better option, and I fought his corner on here at the time, but most had seen very little of him so most were inclined to back Krul.

Still, both became good keepers, Forster is better, but we hardly ended up with a poor keeper ourselves.

An area we have been, still are and looking at the youth ranks, will be for a while, very fortunate in.

• 57 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Ian likes to point out the way Wenger invented Arsenal from grass roots, I wonder what Herbert Chapman, Bertie Mee and even George Graham think of that opinion/theory. And then to state that Ashley even considered this as his “model” is pure speculation as was his “Damascus” moment sitting on a plane to Vegas before appointing Mclaren to make us great again. Like a lot the budding journalist who failed his spelling test says, a load of shite.

• 58 Mister Tuff // Sep 7, 2016 at 8:12 PM

I do believe the correct expressions need to be accurate.
    brave new world = bwave new world
    root and branch = woot and bwanch

carl ( the little c) used woot and bwanch a lot as did sssh -you know who.

• 59 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2016 at 8:13 PM

An impossible question and therefore an impossible answer, but if proper football people were in charge would Forster have been recognised as the better keeper, would Forster have been offered the same wages as Krul and have two “purple” keepers which looking back was probably the biggest reason he left.

• 60 hibbit // Sep 7, 2016 at 8:17 PM

what makes your opinion stronger than Rafa and his coaches if Rafa thinks he’s worth a new contract i think i’ll go with the manager’s opinion over yours
    it’s a long hard season the last thing we need is to be caught short
    if rafa thinks he needs the extra security in the goalkeeping department so be it

• 61 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2016 at 8:20 PM

17carl // Jun 14, 2016 at 1:32 PM
    I feel the best comparison of Rafa’s role would be with Arsene Wenger. At the start of his reign he undertook a root and branch review of the whole football club.

See post 16

• 62 Jail for Ashley // Sep 7, 2016 at 8:22 PM

It makes me ferking sick that the likes of Jimmysmith and bobbybee still take this creep seriously because he bigs them up. He is a devisive WUM that the blog could do without.

• 63 Belfast // Sep 7, 2016 at 8:27 PM

Maccas brave new world – Good times indeed.

• 64 hibbit // Sep 7, 2016 at 8:27 PM

re Forster

as was normal in those days Celtic made a offer the clowns thought it was acceptable Forster was gone
    i think if the acceptable offer had come in for Krul first …….Krul would have been gone

• 65 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 7, 2016 at 8:32 PM

As you say, impossible to answer. After Forster dropped the clanger against Leeds, and was written off by most fans, and possibly the club, he only went out on loan. The year before, Krul and Harper had pretty much split the league matches – I think Harper got injured if memory serves correct.

For keepers, possession of the shirt and performing well in it, puts you in a very strong position. Fans and staff at the club had seen more of Krul at a top level, and Krul had done well. So in this case possession was 9/10ths.

I think Forster would have had to do something spectacular in pre season to begin with the jersey. On the back of Players Player of the Year for Norwich, and the Golden Glove for Clean sheets in League 1, anything but a season playing football was a step back for him.

Maybe the club weren’t initially loaning out to Celtic with a view to sell, but Krul performed well again and played the full season that year, that knowing Forster wouldn’t have accepted second fiddle, and having already brought in Elliot, that he was someone that could leave.

Given the timeline of events and how it happened, I doubt Rafa, or any other manager would have made substantially different decisions, but impossible to really say.

We may face a similar crossroads with Woodman and Woolston in a few years time.

• 66 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 7, 2016 at 8:36 PM

As Hibbit says, Celtic were very happy with him, made an offer and the club were only too happy to accept as they knew neither Krul or Forster would have been happy as back up. Krul had the shirt, so Forster was disposable.

• 67 Ian Toon // Sep 7, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Laurent – Pardew left of his own volition. The action groups impacts and influence in removing him were overly inflated he and his family were happy to return home. Having met him a few times he is no shrinking violet who would be influenced by load mouth scumbag members of action groups. I am not suggesting all were like that- far from it.

However, leaving when he did meant we were the subject of unforeseen consequences. – we actually acquired 40% of points won that season in November prior to his departure. We were lumbered with John Carver probably the most incompetent man to hold the post and escaped relegation on the last day. Pardew is by no means the worst manager of NUFC in my lifetime . Some of those involved in demonstrations brought the club into disrepute- somewhat on a par with Pardew’s disgraceful head butting incident. I posted on here at the time that he should have been sacked.

I have no time for leading lights in NUST and other fan groupings because far too many types are ego driven “in it ” for personal gratification and not for our football club.. We’ve suffered on here through overly aggressive behaviour. Anyway there was a major question over who would get the job, creating uncertainty amongst the players before , during and certainly after the hapless Carver was appointed.. There were those amongst Newcastle’ fans who were proud to broadcast that they were against Pardew from the first minute he was appointed, that they saw through him. You have such allegiances which tend to play the man and not the ball. I don’t see that as a badge of honour. Wrapped up in their repetitive musings is security against debate. Time has proven them right, there can be no argument in his favour. That is a different issue all together . I am not standing his corner, but that point of view ignores the sense I have for one that he has become a dead loss; he wasn’t always that. I remember him being viewed by football fans at large as an upgrade on Hughton,. The 5th-place finish, for all it’s now derided as a fluke, was a genuinely impressive achievement. I watched a number of games. He couldn’t follow it up though, and reverted to the type we’d seen before at West Ham and falling out with talented players.

In conclusion:.
    If we don’t give credit where it’s due then we can’t be surprised by our opinion being ignored or ridiculed when we’re eventually critical of any failings. Incidentally, if you persist in disrespecting me I will not respond to any future postings directed to me by you. It’s your call.

previous post: Newcastle Minimally Affected By African Cup Of Nations