What’s Newcastle’s Best Team For Derby?

Rafa Benitez now has options galore  for his Newcastle team and he is likely to make three or four changes for every game so that he uses the squad efficiently.

That keeps players fresh and doesn’t overplay them so they easily pick up injuries – which has happened so much in the past when we had very small squads with no strength in depth.

Rafa will be able to choose from a full squad for Saturday in the late game, because those players on International duty generally only played one game, although he may still want to give those players some extra rest.

mohamed-diame-newcastleunitedvcheltenhamngqmwv7ng_cl

Mohamed Diame – we expect this powerhouse to start the game

Here’s a possible side for Saturday in the familiar 4-2-3-1 formation

Sels
Anita Mbemba Lascelles (c) Gamez
Hayden Colback
Richie Diame Gouffran
Gayle
Subs: Darlow Yedlin Clark Hanley Shelvey Mitrovic Perez

It is very difficult to even pick the subs because you have to leave out some really good players, but that’s what it’s like when you have a really strong squad like Newcastle have these days.

Anyway that’s a strong side and we’re pretty sure that Dwight Gayle will get a start.

And we think Rafa will start Shelvey at home in most of the games, where he is more likely to deliver like against Brighton and not go missing.

What side would you play at Derby County?

We have a tough game at Loftus Roan on Tuesday night and that game is already sold out.

Amazing!

We’ll see Rafa make some changes for that game and players like Dummett will likely come straight back into the side on Tuesday and start.

More than three in five fans think we can win this game.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Derby County?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Shadow_Shearer

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:55 PM

Sels
    Anita lascelle mbemba gamez
    Hayden shelvey
    Ritchie gayle perez
    Mitrovic

• rasul

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:00 PM

Ed go suck Gouffs di ck will yaa!! U f u cking snitch

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:00 PM

I’d probably hope to see Shelvey start ahead of Colback. Other than that, a case could be made for Yedlin to start, and absolutely no sign of Lazaar anywhere at all in the squad. I’d be surprised if both Hanley and Clark were on the bench ahead of him.

Gayle has to start, and I’d expect Rafa to go with that front 4, but he could opt to move Gayle to the left with Mitro through the middle. Wrong game to start with that though, so I expect that will be saved to either change the game, or for home games where Rafa gives the side more attacking freedom.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:05 PM

Vydra will pose a different problem to Martin. Had Martin still been there, I’d have expected Hanley to start.

• bettyswallocks

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:08 PM

Rasul……Who’ve you come as?

• rasul

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:09 PM

He had it coming naming gouff in the starting line up ffs

• AncientC

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:10 PM

The Elliot deal is a strange one, I am quite sure he had 3 to 4 years left on his deal as it was. I cannot think of any reason why he would need to be offered new terms, unless the club got him to sign a deal that is performance/fitness related.

• Belfast

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:11 PM

I think Vydra only scored something like three goals last season on loan at Reading. I’m not sure what’s happened to him. I suppose getting dumped by your club straight after playing a major part in a promotion was like a kick in the balls.

• Fostino

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:11 PM

One of the new lads will start…Yedlin. .Laazar or astu. My money would be on Yedlin. Anita in tbe middle instead of colback

• WWSBRD

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:11 PM

Lil
    Haha it seems not

I can see u being right about how it’ll go (though am not as confident on Woodmans future as u but I’ve barely seen him play). Still I can’t say Elliott is good enough to be at Newcastle, I don’t think he ever has been

• WWSBRD

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:12 PM

rasul
    Goofy deserves to start

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:12 PM

Rasul,
    Do you give Rafa the same abuse as he has named Gouff in the starting line up a few times this season?

• rasul

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Anyone lost intrest in Watching Newcastle ? Must have been the biggest fan, now im like , ehh shitty stream? radio ? Ill rather watch palace – sunderland if i have to choose between Newcastle – shit team shit football, its really 50-50 again if se win or not?!! Feel med??

• rasul

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:15 PM

He startet with Gouff because he had no choiisee!! Rafa will not use him again mark my word. I remember i was excited when we bought him, he was the new zidane !! Hahahha

• Fostino

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Elliot was in a pretty poor positon. He was on the wages of a 3rd choice keeper coming into the last year of his contract and low and behold he gets a horrific injury. It’s admirable that the toon have offered him a new contract and he must really be working his ass off to get better and improve team spirit too. I suspect his contract is by no means a huge one or anywhere near it considering his position but it’s nice to see the club reward a player who gave his all last season. Another sign that times are changing.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:16 PM

WW,
    If Woodman doesn’t progress, then he can be moved on leaving the same situation, just with Sels and Darlow instead.

He has done alright when called upon, which is all you can ask of a back up keeper. He certainly looks a far better keeper now then the one who made his debut conceding 3 in the league cup against Forest(?).

I think the club probably wanted a 2 or 3 year deal, but compromised to make sure they got the deal done. There may well be other clauses within which make the deal more favourable to the club if that is the case.

• SUTTY1978

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:17 PM

Anita should only ever play at RB, not anywhere else.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:18 PM

Best two players last two games Goufran and Diame and people want them dropped – don’t get the logic

• rasul

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:20 PM

Ive got Anitas original shirt from the Sunderland game when that hobbit made the penalty! The green is actually stil on the shirt! Relax i have washed it! It wont go away?! Add me on facebook Shpetim Vitija wich is my real name ! I live in Norway. Ja jeg er Norsk. And Albania. The guy who got abused from Kolarov! And btw i didnt sue his sorry ass!

• rasul

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:21 PM

And im ready to sell it! I can take pictures of it ! How i got it? He gave it to me he has a really nice heart, hard to not like him hehe

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:23 PM

rasul
    Was he not the best player against Brighton

• Belfast

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:24 PM

Full moon tonight.

• WWSBRD

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:24 PM

rasul
    Ur a young un aren’t ya

Lil
    I’ve heard good things about Woodman but never seen him play so I’ve no real opinion on him

As for Elliott he’s just not a very good keeper imo and he doesn’t push players as a back up but it’s done now hopefully he proves me wrong

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:25 PM

Can’t see Atsu starting, and he would be the only wide player to come in and replace Gouff. The only way I see Gouff not starting is if Mitro/Murphy starts, and Gayle is pushed to the left. That will happen a fair bit this season, Gayle moving wide, but can’t see it being done against Derby away to start the game.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:26 PM

rasul,
    Perdona, you didn’t warrant a reply!

• Belfast

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:26 PM

I’ll give you a fiver for it

• rasul

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Wwwesrbd how did u know?? And whats up with that nick name? Win win win … Surley not parduuus recoord ?

• AncientC

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:27 PM

Fostino, I believe you are confusing Elliot with Krul. Elliot was contracted until the summer of 2019. Krul was coming into the final year of his contract.

• Belfast

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:27 PM

But I want free postage.

• hibbit

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:27 PM

WWSBRD

i think Elliott is a decent keeper who Rafa wants to keep at the club

do you honestly think Rafa just plucked a 4 year contract out thin air without knowing what he’s getting

lil
    of course you are allowed to criticize Rafa but it’s not like you to be so petty
    i happen to think Elliots worth keeping
    its not all about defend Rafa sometimes we will agree with him other time we will not it’s all about opinions

• WWSBRD

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:30 PM

rasul
    Just a guess bud

Not sure what u mean by the other bit tbh

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:30 PM

WW,
    No, I agree, based on his overall abilities, he shouldn’t be pushing Sels and Darlow given the expectations that were upon them when they joined. But he can still be a capable back up.

I’m with you that I think 4 years is too long, but I think that Elliot will have pushed for that, and the club accepted knowing they had a fairly experienced senior back up who is settled at the club and won’t rock the boat.

It isn’t a sign of ambition, more one of pragmatism, but both have been lacking at the club over the last few years so it is nice to see.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM

hibbitt,
    WW…,
    Is my favourite poster, he just doesn’t like Blobby or Anita seemingly!

• SUTTY1978

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM

Lil, playing out wide is why Gayle has been dropped by all the Palace managers. In theory he should be decent there, has good pace etc. But he’s not.
    He gets goals when he starts up top, he doesn’t do a lot when he starts anywhere else.
    If he’s going to start with one of the big lads & Gayle then it needs to be 442, which we know isn’t Rafa’s thing.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:33 PM

hibbit,
    It was tongue in cheek, and not a personal dig at you. Of course people can criticise Rafa, I know that wasn’t what you were suggesting, and sorry if you took offence to something that was just a throwaway remark.

As you will see from my posts that I think it is a sensible decision to keep him around, but I can also see the view that 4 years is a long time for a player who will more than likely be back up.

• Belfast

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:35 PM

Well I’m gutted at that bombshell Jail.

• WWSBRD

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:35 PM

hibbit
    Clearly ur right about Rafa wanting him to stay as he got a new contract, I never questioned that…in fact I think I said he couldn’t get everything right

As for the four years I’ve no idea who came up with that number but I imagine Elliott’s side had something to do with it, he will never get to a better club than ours so he’d want to be with us for as long as possible

I imagine Rafa has seen what he wants in Elliott but what’s that?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:38 PM

Sutty,
    When Gayle arrived, in his first interviews he said Rafa had spoken to him about both playing up front and out wide. He said he was happier up front, but had accepted that he will play wherever Rafa thinks is best for the team.

I’m not sure what he offers, unless you move to a narrow set up for the 3 behind, and turn it into more of a 433, where the full backs provide the width. That would be a far more fluid system – and as such one with more opportunity to go wrong, and I’d imagine saved for home games mainly.

The signing of two full backs who are very happy to get forward could be a hint towards playing like this. It would probably mean Hayden dropping to create a back 3 almost when the fullbacks push.

• SUTTY1978

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:39 PM

I can’t see how Benitez can sanction a 4 year contract for someone he has never seen play. Seems odd. Well at least it’s not as contentious as the Colo contract last summer
    Personally not too fussed either way, he’s been much better than expected when he has come in and is probably better than the younger Darlow at the moment. On the -ve side he’s very injury prone, which isn’t ideal for someone who should always be available as back up!

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:40 PM

I disagree, I see it as a total sign of ambition. Please list a keeper we would have been capable as signing as a second/third choice. In fact name any club that has an international keeper that would have represented his nation at the Euros had he have been fit.