The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Playing To Sold Out Stadiums This Season

9:14 am, Friday, September 9th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 44 Comments

Newcastle are very likely to be playing to sold out stadiums at most away venues this season, as Championship fans want to watch a club with good players who are in the second division and rather surprisingly so too.

We are all hoping it’s only for one season.

When Newcastle visited Ashton Gate and Bristol City last month, it was the biggest crowd there for 26 years with 22,501 in attendance.

new-york-stadium-rotherham

Rotherham United’s New York Stadium – sold out

Fulham was a sell-out in our first game at Craven Cottage and that was a defeat that we suffered there, which did not auger well for the season.

But we have since recovered with three successive league wins after also losing at home to Huddersfield in the next game – which was also a sell-out at St, James Park with more than 52,000 in attendance.

The game at QPR and Loftus Road (capacity 18,439) on Tuesday night is sold out and the New York Stadium at Rotherham is sold out for our visit there on October 1st – just before the next two week International break.

Jonjo Shelvey has talked today about the expectations of players at Newcastle:

“I think everywhere we go, we’ll be playing at grounds that are sold out,” “But you’re playing for Newcastle United, you need to deal with that expectation.”

“If you can’t deal with that, you shouldn’t be playing for Newcastle. That’s just the way it’s going to be this year.”

“You’ve got to either accept it and embrace it, or hold your hands up and admit you can’t deal with it.”

Championship fans don’t just want to see Newcastle in action but also take a look at manager Rafa Benitez.

Rafa has won the Champions League once with Liverpool (and losing finalists one other time) and the Europa League twice (with Valencia and Chelsea) among other trophies he has won in his glittering management career – so far.

Yes, Newcastle may be the team to beat in the Championship this season and we will play to many sold out stadiums.

We just hope we don’t lose too many more games this season.

🙂

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News

44 responses so far ↓

• 1 expatmag // Sep 9, 2016 at 9:21 AM

TOF

I Hate you……far too clever for me…..lol

• 2 expatmag // Sep 9, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Headtheball
    Where abouts in Oz are you?

• 3 one fine day // Sep 9, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Expat
    Confident of your Melb storm for finals ?

• 4 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 9, 2016 at 9:41 AM

Big week for the TOON two away games in 3 days …then 3 promotion rivals to finish September off notwithstanding a cup game.
    aiming for 3 wins and 2 draws plus a cup win would see us sitting pretty going into October with 20 points after 9 game

• 5 Lindisfarne // Sep 9, 2016 at 9:44 AM

Remy up to his old tricks.

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Sep 9, 2016 at 9:47 AM

Lindisfarne?

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Sep 9, 2016 at 9:49 AM

Is getting injured up to old tricks. It just shows what a desperado Pardew is taking Remy back in the first place after he refused to play for him on the last day of the season that time.

• 8 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 9, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Joke. Of. A. Blog.

• 9 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 9, 2016 at 9:59 AM

Where as the makems just have pink seats. Pink seats everywhere. As far as the eye can see. With no one in them. They couldn’t sell out a tennis court.

• 10 YouCouldn'tMakeItUp // Sep 9, 2016 at 10:02 AM

Go, Hobart!

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Sep 9, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Charlie,
    Just my luck that I’m home for the two away games and away for the home games 🙁

• 12 expatmag // Sep 9, 2016 at 10:26 AM

OFS

I would be a whole lot more confident with a fit Billy Slater mate but I do think we are the best team in yhe comp. It is a case whether they believe it to

• 13 expatmag // Sep 9, 2016 at 10:29 AM

BANDN

Fair comments but in yhe end, I am sick to death of he consrant stream of drama queens eho post on here who believe they are the one and only oracle.

• 14 expatmag // Sep 9, 2016 at 10:31 AM

BANDB

APologies for the typo. Friday night here and a wine too many

• 15 Hail Wor Ashley // Sep 9, 2016 at 10:33 AM

Expatmag

Don’t use the term drama queens, BandB takes umbrage to that term. She more than anyone has special snowflake syndrome.

Couldn’t care less what you’re all arguing about now. Will be back tomorrow when the on-field action is happening.

• 16 Ian Toon // Sep 9, 2016 at 10:47 AM

BandB-

46BandB // Apr 12, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Okay,

Let’s not kill with kindness.

You, Ruddy, MacToon, Jail and Solano have been planning your revolution in a pub somewhere in a slough of despond since the body of fans, rejecting you for the self-aggrandising knackers you are, gave you pelters at your last event.

On the back of a fresh attempt to succeed where you have failed, you emerge as a group, determined not to hold out a hand to those who offer it, but sniping at that attempt because you yourselves have failed through your own lack of humility and happiness to serve your own ends at the expense of others.

How’s that?

Band B- Some of us were saying this long before the charge of self aggrandising became fashionable; some of us still are questioning those claiming credit for outcomes!. At the time your views made me feel less isolated in opposing the anti Ashley crew and the modus operandi.

Benitez at the toon was a pipe dream although recent days suggest not for everyone.
    T

• 17 BandB // Sep 9, 2016 at 10:49 AM

expat

You should get yersel’ on Ebay with the rest of the blart 🙂

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Sep 9, 2016 at 10:56 AM

Ian,
    Why are you keep reposting stuff from the past while telling others to move on from it?

• 19 BandB // Sep 9, 2016 at 10:57 AM

Jail

Please just leave it man. He is what he is.

• 20 Ian Toon // Sep 9, 2016 at 11:01 AM

I will when you stop re- writing history and absolve me from being Sack Ll, and all the others. Seeing Hail on you accused me of being him, along with Magascar, Murvar who are highly reputable posters. Hail on football is excellent.

I fail to understand why the seeker of the truth failed to alert Ed to can’t remember the name.of the Prosthetic poster. Despite what

• 21 Ian Toon // Sep 9, 2016 at 11:02 AM

Enjoy my absence.

• 22 Tsunki // Sep 9, 2016 at 11:31 AM

If only we could hold you to the United, we certainly would

Worth commenting on Jibs post this morning about how Ed used to post at the dawn of the blog and when Ashley bought the club soon after it all went downhill with the anti-Ashley brigade digging in from the kick off.

it’s all rubbish though. The mood was decidedly optimistic. The naysayers did no more than voice what turned out to be prophetic caveats. On the other hand, there were plenty of other posters championing the dynamic new owner. Of note was carl (small “c”) who was the most hilarious flag-waver, talking of only good times ahead and the genius of Sam Allardyce – no wonder someone here wants to distance himself from those comments! 🙂

• 23 Tsunki // Sep 9, 2016 at 11:32 AM

If only we could hold you to that, Ian, we certainly would..

No idea what happened there.

• 24 Mister Tuff // Sep 9, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Fighting talk from Ian Toon – rich as he’s caused most of the bother on here.
    Seems his absence might have something to do with fight training in preparedness to take on all comers.
    Ian Toon in training :-

• 25 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 9, 2016 at 11:52 AM

gmorning all, from the dark side o the pond..

woke up, got to work early, laddie has a tryout with the local pro team here, inhopes to make their academy, and read this:

‘I will when you stop re- writing history and absolve me ‘

wow.. I needed a laugh so early today… ‘physican, heal thyself’ comes to mind…

• 26 Kabul Fish // Sep 9, 2016 at 11:52 AM

Ah it’s been a long week but catching up on the blog has cheered me up and even had me laughing out loud at times. It is like electronic group therapy lol.
    Brill 🙂

Anyway, heli cancelled for tomorrow as my young colleague and I are going to enjoy working from the office with 2 x derbies, soccer sat, the toon game on the box, x factor and then the boxing!!!
    (yes, I said x factor)

Bit worried about derby being a bogey team and us giving them almost 1/4 of their points in the prem but I have faith in Rafa and am anticipating a good game.

• 27 jayphoto // Sep 9, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Great we’re playing out to sold out stadiums but a bit annoying. I’ve signed up for a membership this year, but obviously have no points on it so I can go to a few away days and so far no away day has got to the stage I can buy a ticket yet. The games I was looking to do was Bristol City, Derby (both sold out before I could buy, Birmingham, Aston Villa, Forest, Burton, Sheffield Wednesday. Reckon I’ll end up in the home end at Burton and Villa and be lucky to get tickets for Birmingham. Wish I was a sunderland fan sometimes, I’d have nee bother getting a ticket

• 28 jayphoto // Sep 9, 2016 at 11:55 AM

Just putting it out there, as I know they’re not a glamour club, but Rotherhams stadium is actually a really top notch facility. Be a good away day that!

• 29 clinath@ed // Sep 9, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Does anyone else get confused about who’s on who’s side in our Blog Wars?

• 30 jayphoto // Sep 9, 2016 at 12:05 PM

@Tsunki – worst thing about Ashley is from what I hear is attitude to running the club is excellent. The club can spend what it makes, takes little out and trusts the people that he puts in charge to run it implicitly and never interferes. Heard from somewhere the last time Ashley stepped in to make a big club decision was to sack Allardyce….
    The only problem is his judgement to trust so much the people he puts in charge and to back them to the hilt.
    Lets be honest, currently it looks like we have the right team in place and everything is on the up and Ashley has left them to get on with it, in theory he should be great owner doing this. May be he will be from here on? Rafa definitely will help.
    Ultimately with Ashley, I think our location means that when or if he ever sells, we will struggle to attract the men that want to turn football clubs into a global force. They will always target the London/Manchester clubs. As bad as his tenure has been, what lies out there unknown is more than likely worse if you consider Blackburn, Leeds, Blackpool, Charlton, Birmingham…. all were once premier league clubs, look at the state of them all now. Too many people with not quite enough money out there that want to jump on the football gravy train to make more money.

• 31 jimmysmith // Sep 9, 2016 at 12:10 PM

Blog pariah? That’s a hot one. What, at the hands of about 4 knuckleheads on here?

• 32 Kabul Fish // Sep 9, 2016 at 12:12 PM

clinath@ed – I get confused too but some of the comments are very entertaining 🙂

Defo a war – I have recently witnessed direct and indirect attacks along with feinting and flanking manoeuvres ha ha

• 33 Wayayman // Sep 9, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Jayphoto,
    Geography means nowt to a billionaire from China or the UAE as all they are interested in is having something to pump money into and show off their prowess. Chelsea is a different story as Abramovic lived in London when he bought the club, but trust me, no Sheik ever lived in Manchester!

• 34 jayphoto // Sep 9, 2016 at 12:36 PM

@wayayman – see what you’re saying, just think we might be too north to be popular, especially as the price we’d probably cost wouldn’t be inline with value and world reputation.
    If I was a billionaire looking to pump money in to make a world brand, and not a fan of any club my first stop would be forest, got the history, decent fan base, untapped resource for middle eastern England, be significantly cheaper. If I was going to invest in a premier league club aside from the obvious top 6 clubs, always thought Palace could be huge. South London doesn’t really have a super club and is up and coming.
    A club I always thought would be interesting to take from nowhere would be Northampton Town, Cambridge or Oxford united.. Big towns, nearish to London. So far, not sure if a super billionaire has taken a club from actually nowhere to the top with just untapped resources, be interesting.

• 35 Jib // Sep 9, 2016 at 12:39 PM

Kabul
    We’ll be OK.
    Derby don’t have wee Kenny Miller any more

😀

• 36 Kabul Fish // Sep 9, 2016 at 12:45 PM

I would have thought location would be a massive driving factor into buying a club. Everyone will want to be near the capital and outside of that surely a city with a major team already present would be an attractive option IOT challenge said team.
    Budget and buying power will dictate I assume.

I feel we are too far north to be majorly attractive….the Winterfell of football

• 37 Jib // Sep 9, 2016 at 12:47 PM

Wayayman
    There was Sheik Rattle and Roll – Bolton Colliseum 1957

• 38 Jail for Ashley // Sep 9, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Jay,
    Not sure what your thoughts on Ashley are but I think it’s way off the mark to put down the abysmal way we’ve been ran over the last nine years down to Ashley putting his trust in the wrong people. He’s witnessed the majority of the dross being served up, he knows 100% the importance of a cup to fans that may never win the league, he has 100% known that it takes a top manager to bring success yet allowed John Carver to preside over the club for almost six months. He’s been happy for us to sell our best player halfway through a season fully prepared to lose eight in a row as long as forty points was achieved. Sporting success has been secondary in Ashley’s reign and he has been the driving force behind that, deliberately choosing Llambias, JfK and Churnley to help him do it.

• 39 Jib // Sep 9, 2016 at 12:51 PM

• 40 mindshaft // Sep 9, 2016 at 12:58 PM

Newcastle are a well supported club in the North East., less well supported outside of the region.
    Anyone who’s done any travelling will know that Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea etc shirts are everywhere … even in the remotest parts of Asia and Africa… this is what makes them a draw to rich sheiks etc… it’s a big status symbol
    Afraid we just don’t have that draw due to lack of success over the last 50/60 years

• 41 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 9, 2016 at 1:05 PM

Joke. Of. A. Blog…

• 42 Jail for Ashley // Sep 9, 2016 at 1:07 PM

YMFB,
    So why are you still here

• 43 Lindisfarne // Sep 9, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Jail

Remy on loan and ‘unable’ to play for two months because of an ‘injury’ in training. He is still pulling the wool over P-diddles eyes.

• 44 daniel2526 // Sep 9, 2016 at 1:18 PM

Hey guys! I am Daniel, a Singaporean and have been a Newcastle fan since 13 years ago 🙂 I am currently on exchange in Sweden and I am planning to do some last minute rush to Newcastle for a match next weekend 17 September against Wolves. Any idea whether the match ticket are still available and how can I purchase them? And do any of you guys have recommendations for a budget accommodation just for one person (that’s me). It will help a lot as I am on a tight budget. Thanks guys, hope to hear from you all soon!

previous post: Newcastle Could Face Complete Failure By May