The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Shelvey Laments – If You Don’t Score You’ve Had A Bad Game

7:53 am, Friday, September 9th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 6 Comments

Jonjo Shelvey was thought to have a good game last time out when he scored that beautiful goal direct from a free-kick against Brighton to make it 2-0 to Newcastle and our fourth win in as many games just before the International break.

But Jonjo doesn’t feel he had a particularly good game against Brighton and it was only because he scored that goal that he thinks he got all the accolades.

chancel mbemba jonjo shelvey scores brighton

Jonjo Shelvey – after scoring against Brighton

This is what the former Swansea midfielder has said today:

“In terms of the game against Brighton, I played further forward, but I didn’t think I managed to get involved too much,”

“But if you score a goal, you get all the praise under the sun.”

“I actually felt I performed better in the other two games (at home to Huddersfield Town and Reading), but I didn’t get the credit for those games because that’s what football is like nowadays.”

“If you don’t score a goal, people think you had a bad game. But if you do score, you get the praise. That’s what football has come to now.”

“But it’s nice playing further forward, and I do prefer playing forward because you can express yourself more and get into the box, and things like that.”

In our Man of the Match polls after the game the goalscorers always do well.

And Jonjo was our Man of the Match for the Brighton game with 30% of the vote – so he’s right – when you score people tend to think you have had a good game.

We don’t expect Jonjo to start at Derby tomorrow or even at QPR on Tuesday night, since his starts could be reserved for the home games, but we shall see – he will play in at least one of the two games at some point.

They are two tough games coming up for us of course and two wins would be unbelievable.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Derby County?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Jonjo Shelvey · Newcastle News · Other News

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 hibbit // Sep 9, 2016 at 7:59 AM

The overrated Frenchman

Jib neither speaks for or is part of the silent majority judging by the amount of posts and his contentious opinions

• 2 Tsunki // Sep 9, 2016 at 8:01 AM

ToF, Legolas – previous post.

• 3 firebug666 // Sep 9, 2016 at 8:11 AM

There is no point in trying to have any sort of debate with Jib, I tried the other day, and as usual he resorted to name calling as he squirmed trying to form a coherent argument.

Then he drops off to blog watching and waiting until the poster is no longer posting indicating he has gone off to do other thing, then Jib pounces with another derogatory post thinking it will not be read by the person it is aimed at. In my case it was Jib take on a Monty Python sketch.
    “What has Ashley done for us” etc.

He is a total waste of time, energy and oxygen,

Jail I doubt you will get your answer.

• 4 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 9, 2016 at 8:14 AM

hibbitt – Jib noted correctly (in my view) that the majority of people on the blog stay silent. Neither he nor I contend that he is one of those. For better or for worse, one might argue. But it was just an observation on his part, as I understood it.

• 5 Jib // Sep 9, 2016 at 8:25 AM

Aww firebug you posted to me 24 hours ago !
    I fort we was mates !
    You certainly know how to hurt a guy !
    cruel cruel cruel

Jib // Sep 8, 2016 at 7:34 AM
    I find hard to understand why the club and Rafa have left the Cheik Tioté situation unresolved.
    In mid July the Abu Dhabi club Al Jazira seemed to have beaten Watford for his signature with a £800,000 bid said to be not a million miles away from what was needed and the clubs very close to an agreement.
    The fiasco in Turkey would seem to demonstrate a willingness to leave.
    The Gulf clubs still have 12 days until the window shuts so it could still happen I guess.

84 firebug666 // Sep 8, 2016 at 7:42 AM
    It’s not Rafa or the club, as you have pointed out they have accepted offers for him, but Tiote has failed to agree personal terms with them.

• 6 firebug666 // Sep 9, 2016 at 8:43 AM

He also has an habit of selecting just the posts that suit his needs, slimy little toad and not really worth the bother.

Maybe when I have time I will go back and post the relevant ones the village idiot left out.

previous post: Moussa Sissoko Interested In Everton Move