The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Benitez Talks About Sissoko And That Deal

8:36 am, Saturday, September 10th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

Moussa Sissoko completed his move to Everton Tottenham Hotspur with only minutes to spare on deadline day – Wednesday 31st August just before 11:00 pm local time.

So Moussa, after looking like he would be signing for Everton, signed on at Tottenham Hotspur and so he finally got his move to a Champions League club that he’s been talking about for over two years now.

rafa benitez moussa sissoko

Rafa Benitez and Moussa Sissoko

During his interviews with the press yesterday Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez was asked about Sissoko and the £30M deal.

This is how Rafa responded:

“I think he’s a good player,” “Our fans, some of them, maybe will not agree, but my experience has been good and I wish him all the best.”

“That is fine. I think it was good business for everyone, and hopefully for us.” “The players here are focused and ready for the battle.”

“To be fair, I don’t want to be involved much talking about players that have gone.” “I have a lot of respect for them and their professionalism.

“I want to concentrate on us and our future.”

So Rafa didn’t want to talk much about the Moussa deal or the player himself.

One thing in Moussa’s favor is that he is joining one of the best young coaches in the business in Mauricio Pochettino.

Rafa quickly got the best out of the Frenchman once he joined Newcastle in March – and he had an absolute stormer against Tottenham in the second half in that final game – his best game of the season for the Magpies.

Rafa’s coaching of the 27 year-old was one reason he shone so much for France during the Euro 2016 Championships.

Mauricio wanted Sissoko at Tottenham and he made that very clear to Spurs Chairman Daniel Levy and maybe the Argentine can continue to get the best out of him, but that’s something that will or will not happen – it’s in the future.

There’s not too many players who proper at other clubs after leaving Newcastle, but maybe Sissoko can be one of them?

What do you think?

Tags: Coaching · Financials · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Other News · Transfer News and Rumours

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 Kabul Fish // Sep 10, 2016 at 8:39 AM

Ed banging out the threads tis morning…

On topic: good deal and he is gone now – glad Rafa does not want to waste energy on players that have gone 🙂

• 2 Kabul Fish // Sep 10, 2016 at 8:40 AM

*this not tis lol

• 3 sing in the corner // Sep 10, 2016 at 8:42 AM

Picture: Rafa must be a funny guy. Don’t think I’ve seen sour puss Moussa crack a smile in many other pics. Who knows how he will get on at Spurs? It’ll be a worth keeping an eye on loosely but who cares too deeply. He will have to go some to justify the money Spurs paid for him in my opinion.

• 4 sing in the corner // Sep 10, 2016 at 8:44 AM

Kabul
    Oh aye, it’s fast and furious at this time of day!

• 5 Kabul Fish // Sep 10, 2016 at 8:45 AM

Sing – it’s kicking for a Sat morn ha ha

In truth I will be interested to see which Sissoko turns up to each Spurs game.

• 6 sing in the corner // Sep 10, 2016 at 8:50 AM

Not sure if Pochetino will take to him. Don’t think he will appreciate his outsized opinion of himself when he doesn’t produce the goods often. Wonder if he was wanted by Poch, or the suits..

• 7 mindshaft // Sep 10, 2016 at 8:51 AM

some people on here could take a leaf out of Rafas book and stop banging on about players / managers who have left – some people still slag off Cabaye despite the fact he left years ago
    Doubt we’ll see any of the new guys start today although poss a couple on bench. Would imagine Dummetts position is most at risk although Gouffran will be subbed

• 8 Kabul Fish // Sep 10, 2016 at 8:54 AM

Sing – I was wondering the same thing mate – was he forced on Poch?

Mindshaft – I’m hoping to see at least one come on as a sub. Suppose the game will dictate but can’t wait to watch it 🙂

• 9 giimps // Sep 10, 2016 at 8:56 AM

Odd choice of phrase Rafa used, ““That is fine. I think it was good business for everyone, and hopefully for us” I wonder if he was wanting to hold out for more or if he thinks Sissoko may be missed more than we think.
    Personally, I think Diame is a better all round player and offers more for longer in the game, he’s always looking to be involved and his ability running with the ball is far superior to Sissoko.
    Time will tell though, but I think it was a decent piece of business, £30 mil for a tw@t and we paid less than £5 mil for a player………mint……hwtl
    I’m going for a 1-3 win for us today ,it won’t be easy at all but we need to beat the teams who are going to be around us at the end of the season

• 10 posada // Sep 10, 2016 at 8:56 AM

I see the Scouse Blogs are debating Wini trying to figure out what he is. Striker,Winger or Midfielder.
    None of these. He’s an Inbetween. Not one or the other.
    They have come to the conclusion he should play the free role, number 10, in the hole bla bla bla.
    But most teams don’t play with that role now. If you do it means setting up the team to revolve round him.
    Is he that good. Not really.
    None of the Barca front three have the luxury of the so called free role.
    We are better off with the cash thanks.

• 11 sing in the corner // Sep 10, 2016 at 8:57 AM

We have options all over now though, a novel luxury when naming the team. Job being done properly!

• 12 posada // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:00 AM

I’d keep the same team that beat Brighton.
    Change it when you have to.
    If players win they should be rewarded with their place in the team.

• 13 Cool Hand Luke // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Some good advice for you there Ed, no more Sissoko articles please..

previous post: Benitez Debunks One Myth In Football