The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Captain To Manager – Message Received

12:58 pm, Saturday, September 10th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 43 Comments

Jamaal Lascelles did not have a good start to the season and most fans thought that the captaincy was weighing down on him and he certainly didn’t play well in those first two games that we lost at Fulham and at home to Huddersfield.

For the next game against Reading at home, Rafa took action and dropped the captain – and that was a real statement to every single Newcastle player.

Jamaal+Lascelles+Newcastle+United+v+Crystal+YbOXTC2nNNcl

Jamaal Lascelles – Newcastle captain

If you are not doing your job you will not be in the team, even if you are the caption.

Being dropped shocked the young captain and this is what he has said in the Express:

“It was a wake-up call for me. I’m glad he did it because it sets the standards for the rest of the team.”

“If you are not pulling your weight, you will be out of the team. I’m not one to sulk and think, ‘why have I been dropped?’.”

“It’s a long season and the manager told us he is going to rotate. Everybody knows what the task is and what is needed. So we’re all going to listen to him and get on with it.”

“Everybody is doing their job,” he said. “It might take time to totally gel but against Brighton, I thought we were starting to do that.”

That move by Rafa seems to have turned things around and the manager brought his captain into the game after 75 minutes against Reading – another good man-management move by Benitez.

We won the game 4-1 and since then Jamaal has looked more like his old self.

The captain remains a top young defender at Newcastle, who could well become a great player for us in the future – especially under the guidance of Rafa Benitez.

That would be something.

Tags: Championship · Coaching · Jamaal Lascelles · Management · Newcastle News

43 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Sep 10, 2016 at 1:02 PM

“I’m glad he did it because it sets the standards for the rest of the team.”
    Excellent words from hopefully what will become a great Newcastle captain.

• 2 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 10, 2016 at 1:03 PM

It’s been a very intriguing watch this Manchester derby so far I reckon.

• 3 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 10, 2016 at 1:06 PM

Absolute class from Man City.

• 4 Kabul Fish // Sep 10, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Daley Blind is having a nightmare and De Bruyne is storming

• 5 Spoof // Sep 10, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Jail

Jammal was dreadful mind wasn’t he, cptn or not he did deserve to be dropped, hopefully it will pay dividends.

• 6 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 10, 2016 at 1:11 PM

It’s good that Lascelles was left out, and it was also good when he was reintroduced. Another plus of squad rotation, it’s a balanced approach and not rushed one.

• 7 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 10, 2016 at 1:13 PM

Zlatan’s technique is a joy to watch. One of my favourite players of all time.

• 8 Spoof // Sep 10, 2016 at 1:49 PM

Laurent

on a down side successful teams do tend to keep the spine of the side relatively unchanged, Rafa doesn’t and this is what frustrated some Liverpool fans as a cohesion never came, they were good in the cups but disappointed in the league, according to some that is, hopefully a spine will form which Rafa will alternate around.

• 9 Toon Tang // Sep 10, 2016 at 1:49 PM

LR slot 7 +1

• 10 lesh // Sep 10, 2016 at 1:58 PM

Spoof

I wasn’t suggesting for a minute that you didn’t make the same point about selections but was endorsing your point.

• 11 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 10, 2016 at 2:06 PM

Spoof, it’s a downside of it by not having the very best side out every single game, but it’s a trade-off with what can work over the whole season.

Things like, players having more game time, being more used to other players in a competitive situation, fresher when playing, injuries might be reduced, players, if understanding, recognise they are part of the squad and will likely get a lot of game times over the course of the season. Players might not get as physically and mentally fatigued as much.

I like it, on the whole.

There’s no real right or wrong way.

• 12 Toon Tang // Sep 10, 2016 at 2:18 PM

Pogba??? I bet they’re kicking themselves not bagging wor sissoko eh

• 13 catchy in norway // Sep 10, 2016 at 2:21 PM

what a great result if it stays that way, hate manu and hate rodney

• 14 Ron Knee // Sep 10, 2016 at 2:22 PM

Manure’s football much more attractive to watch this season.

• 15 sing in the corner // Sep 10, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Toon tang
    🙂
    You’re gonna get pelters for mentioning Le unmentionable one mind!

• 16 Toon Tang // Sep 10, 2016 at 2:25 PM

Sing, I’m sat in my glass house waiting hahaa

• 17 Ron Knee // Sep 10, 2016 at 2:25 PM

Zee Incrédible Sulk!

• 18 Spoof // Sep 10, 2016 at 2:40 PM

Laurent

For this league I think it will pay dividends as I feel the back up will be more than capable of maintaining the required results, if/when promotion comes the chances are Rafa will continue with excessive rotation because that is what Rafa does, but I’m not to sure, for me a keeper(Sels, 2 CB’s( Mbemba, Lascellas), 1 holding midfielder, the one who should be the rock/foundation(used to be Tiote could now be Hayden), an AM, (Diame) and a striker (Gayle) should be the foundation and be rarely changed, the rest like the FB’s, wingers and additional striker if playing two should be rotated, but I still think a solid spine is the best for a league season, rotation could be good for cups but I’m not overly sure for the league, especially if we go up.

• 19 Spoof // Sep 10, 2016 at 2:42 PM

Tang

Your glass house is safe but your car now has four wheels missing lol.

• 20 Belfast // Sep 10, 2016 at 2:43 PM

Rooney is one cheeky bar steward who gets away with foul after foul for some reason.

And had the cheek to tell Clattenberg to f off when he finally did get booked 🙂

• 21 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 10, 2016 at 3:08 PM

Spoof, I’m sure there will be a core of players who play above average to what others do, like the ones you mentioned. In a way, we’ve already seen it.

It’s nice seeing some of the players in the squad get more game time. I’m sure they will feel more valued as part of the team because they are relied upon over a number of games.

• 22 Ron Knee // Sep 10, 2016 at 3:20 PM

“It can only be described as the thickest back pass in football history by Daryl Janmaat …”

• 23 Spoof // Sep 10, 2016 at 3:32 PM

Ron Knee

You’ve lost me, yes I see the mux ip in the name, but what is your post in relation to, that’s where I’m lost ?

• 24 Ron Knee // Sep 10, 2016 at 3:36 PM

Which post?

• 25 Bambams // Sep 10, 2016 at 3:51 PM

Well its a big day…. My eldest daughter’s 21st and we are going to ‘As you like it’ AND Toon are playing !

Won’t get to watch all of it…..Bloody Daughter’s eh !

Frightened to predict the score, but I will be one proud father later…and maybe a little worse for wear.

• 26 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 10, 2016 at 3:56 PM

So anxious for the lineup to be announced.

• 27 Jib // Sep 10, 2016 at 3:57 PM

Fatty Lowes and John Anderson for those who cannot watch for any reason

• 28 Belfast // Sep 10, 2016 at 4:00 PM

You can sit on my knee until the teams announced if you want

• 29 Belfast // Sep 10, 2016 at 4:01 PM

That offer is not open to you Jib before you ask.

• 30 Belfast // Sep 10, 2016 at 4:02 PM

I reckon it will be the same team apart from Gayle in for Perez.

• 31 Jib // Sep 10, 2016 at 4:05 PM

Burnley
    This guy is usually first with the team

• 32 Jib // Sep 10, 2016 at 4:06 PM

Anything to save you from Belfast’s perving.

• 33 Belfast // Sep 10, 2016 at 4:12 PM

Just showing some hospitality Jib.

• 34 Belfast // Sep 10, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Fulham losing 1-0 and down to 10 men and Huddersfield drawing. Looking like a good day for us if we win.

• 35 Belfast // Sep 10, 2016 at 4:16 PM

Huddersfield score as soon as I say that ha

• 36 AncientC // Sep 10, 2016 at 4:21 PM

MK Dons equalized against Bolton. Sammy Ameobi has been hauled off the bench.

• 37 Markaccus // Sep 10, 2016 at 4:22 PM

Looking forward to this again. Thats 2 games in a row! Starting my pilgrimage over to chester-le-street to my brothers house, where decent quality android box awaits, and many beers. HWTL

• 38 Ron Knee // Sep 10, 2016 at 4:27 PM

Gnashing of teeth at WHam who were 2-0 up, now 4-2 down!

• 39 Markaccus // Sep 10, 2016 at 4:28 PM

WHAM losing 4-2? Somebody should have woke them up, before they went-went.

• 40 bettyswallocks // Sep 10, 2016 at 4:32 PM

Belfast…… I think he’s ok now. He was in Yorkshire last night and obviously very distressed. His Yorkshire pal asked him , “What’s tha crying for cock?” He replied, “Yes”

• 41 Jib // Sep 10, 2016 at 4:32 PM

The Team

• 42 Jib // Sep 10, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Sels
    Anita Lascelles M’bemba Dummett
    Shelvey and Colback
    Ritchie Diame Goofy
    Gayle

• 43 Markaccus // Sep 10, 2016 at 4:38 PM

Only surprise for me is colback instead of hayden imo.

previous post: Rafa – It Will Be Tough At Derby Because Of This