The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Who Was Newcastle’s Man Of The Match At Derby?

8:59 pm, Saturday, September 10th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 44 Comments

Newcastle won their 4th game on the trot in the Championship tonight with a solid 2-0 win at Derby County.

That’s now five wins in a row and it saw Yoan Gouffran score his first goal for the club in a long time and the Frenchman – reborn under Rafa Benitez – did it with a sublime drive from a Jonjo Shelvey corner.

The corner looked like it was over-hit, but we suspect it was a set-piece the lads had been practicing in training and Jonjo by the way looked very good in central midfield tonight.

A second goal by new boy DeAndre Yedlin in stoppage time and it was a very good 2-0 win tonight – we’ll take it.

yoan-gouffran-in-action-derby

Yoan Gouffran in action tonight

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Derby?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Championship · Man of the Match · Newcastle News · Other News · Poll

44 responses so far ↓

• 1 KevinHann // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:00 PM

I’m trying to explain to a fellow fan he is foolish to complain that we didn’t dominate for 90 minutes and we allowed Derby to get more of the ball in the final minutes.

Did I watch a different match on telly? It seemed to me we were always comfortable and defended well when Derby were desperate for an equalizer, we never let them create any substantial threat.

• 2 brklyngeordie // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:02 PM

We absolutely were in control thought Shelvey moved the ball around well although was still not impressed by Colback but Rafa knows what he is doing and knows rotation will be key this season

• 3 Jib // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:13 PM

I voted M’Bemba

I don’t care how old he is – he’s a bonny footballer

Another classic from one of the blog experts.

SUTTY1978 // Sep 10, 2016 at 10:20 AM
    I think we will get a good result today as long as Colback doesn’t start

Ha ha ha warra plonka !
    😀

• 4 BandB // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:18 PM

The great thing now is that we can, like normal football fans, discuss selections, performances, substitutions, tactics, training…..goals, without that queasy feeling that all of it could be completely extraneous to what might be going on out of our sight.
    At least on the football side.
    It’s now impossible to believe that the manager might be waiting for the team to arrive from Shirebrook by fax. We don’t duck and cover waiting for the post-match press conference.
    Well done, then, to that man who doesn’t deliberately get it all wrong.
    I can take “dull” and three points every day of the week.

• 5 Jib // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:20 PM

B and B
    Is Rafa on a zero hours contract ?
    He’s a foreign worker you know !

• 6 SA Toon // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:21 PM

Couldn’t watch the game live this evening, but a great result and two really good goals (I have seen footage of both). The team really seems to be coming together which is fantastic. I love the fact that Rafa is rotating the team so you never know what to expect on match day. Keeps everyone sharp and must be hell for the opposition manager to prepare. The Rafalution is on its way!!

• 7 ITUNDERASHELL // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:22 PM

Yedlins run into the six yard box was incredible and i believe Rafa will turn him into something very special.

• 8 jane // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:26 PM

Barcelona 1 newly promoted Alaves 2

• 9 welshgeordie9 // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:27 PM

ITUNDERASHELL

Yedlin looked very good when he came on, he’s got a lot of pace.

• 10 Jib // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:28 PM

SA
    Both goals were what you could term training ground successes .
    He’s some coach is Rafael

• 11 BandB // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:29 PM

Jib

I imagine a lot of people who read the blog are feeling that sense of welcome moments of long overdue normality, whether they care for my style personally or not.
    It’s nice to be able to talk about football, without being snapped back on an elastic band to a Jib/Ian induced Groundhog Day of point-scoring over the now largely irrelevent Ashley.
    Even I’m bored, and if you had any perspective at all beyond your hero, you would be too.

• 12 Jib // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:30 PM

I don’t know if anyone picked up on this – but Manu Riviere scored a goal at the Bernabeu !
    Osasuna lost 5 – 2 to RM , but well done MR.

• 13 welshgeordie9 // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:32 PM

Hopefully Lazzar and atsu will do well when they make they debuts, if they do we are going to have some attack down the wings with yedlin and gamez as well.

• 14 Jib // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:32 PM

The gin soaked bi polar Harridan was never a favourite of mine I must say.

• 15 Rotonda heights // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:33 PM

what do we do about armstrong if he could be aiding a promotion rival? Geat to see him get game time but. . . .

• 16 martoon // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:33 PM

I watched the first half but only saw bits of the second half. From what I saw although Derby had more possession we always seemed to be in control. I have to say it still makes me nervous when we sit back and let teams come at us – I’m just not used to NUFC having such a solid defence 🙂

• 17 Legolas // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:34 PM

Jib, it was Riera who scored not Riviere.

• 18 welshgeordie9 // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:35 PM

Lazaar

• 19 Jib // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:36 PM

Welshie
    Next time out it could be a completely different team – It’s QPR on Tuesday ffs.
    Benitez is a big fan of recovery time.

• 20 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:36 PM

Shelvey for me with his passing, tackling, blocking, running. But I can’t understand how Colback got so few votes. The usual dodgy tackling at times but was instrumental in the win.

• 21 Tsunki // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:36 PM

Oh dear, Jib. Whoooooosh!

• 22 BandB // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:37 PM

Jib

You have gone down hilariously with your arse on fire, like a cartoon baddie, so many times, it is even embarrassing to me that you think this repetitive and entirely unsuccessful level of abuse is effective.

• 23 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:37 PM

Two cracking goals from Scott Hogan

• 24 Jib // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:38 PM

Legolas
    Oh OK
    It was a pissed Madrileño who told me in a bar earlier tonight !

• 25 SA Toon // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:39 PM

And we’ll done to the traveling fans. From what I was reading in the match reports they were making a helluva noise. It all helps the cause and lifts the team. But I’m so pleased for Gouffran. Not so long ago we couldn’t wait to chase him out of Dodge, but he’s a different player now. Is it the lower league, or has Rafa just got something special about the way he manages his players?

• 26 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:40 PM

Rafa’s toughest job is going to be to keep so many players happy.

Yedlin’s come on today in an advanced role and looked good. Would’ve scored if Diame had put him in instead of shooting himself.

• 27 Jib // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:41 PM

Pass the vixen some Kleenex©
    She’s going for the badly done to sympathy vote tonight

• 28 welshgeordie9 // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:43 PM

Jib, you are like the speed of light.

• 29 Jib // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:46 PM

Blackers
    You do know Yedlin was awarded the goal ?

• 30 BandB // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:46 PM

I often wonder Jib, why when you were “hacked” by the mystery poster, you sounded just like an ever-so-slightly more vicious version of your normal self.
    Now you sound just like another neglected 18 year-old desperate for a bite.
    I don’t need to do this.
    Not with a busted flush like you.

• 31 BandB // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:49 PM

I posted something entirely innocuous, part of normal, polite, blog intercourse.
    So why the feral snarling?

• 32 Jib // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:50 PM

Welshie
    I know
    I try to slow down so folk can keep up.
    😀
    But you get idiotic pretend fans like Tsunki and BandB who just get battered by my slipstream !

• 33 welshgeordie9 // Sep 10, 2016 at 9:58 PM

Jib

I actually quite like BandB, she’s says what she thinks, whether she’s right or wrong is another matter, some of the others though………………………….

• 34 Jib // Sep 10, 2016 at 10:00 PM

Jane
    Is that you or me ?

• 35 Jib // Sep 10, 2016 at 10:03 PM

Welshie
    I actually like pigeons – but have you seen the mess they make on a chess board ?

• 36 Legolas // Sep 10, 2016 at 10:03 PM

Jib, no bother bud. Just thought I would let you know ?

• 37 so-far-king-quick // Sep 10, 2016 at 10:03 PM

Id hardly say weve rotated only a couple players have been switched between games id say the biggest amount of rotation will come for tuesdays game, id give atsu a start over ritch he slugged through the second half

• 38 Legolas // Sep 10, 2016 at 10:04 PM

P.s why does my smiley faces come out as a ? Lol.

• 39 Harley // Sep 10, 2016 at 10:05 PM

Didn’t play that well tonight but never looked in trouble and won 2-0.

Ritchie didn’t do anything wrong but didn’t do one thing right, very quiet by his standards.

I went for mbemba. Thought he was head and shoulders above everyone on the pitch.

Shelvey, colback, lascelles and Goufran all deserve a mention.

• 40 Belfast // Sep 10, 2016 at 10:22 PM

Jib Where you working as a waitress in a cocktail bar ?

• 41 BandB // Sep 10, 2016 at 10:25 PM

Jane?

I have no idea what went on there. Must have been the result of thinking at light speed and typing like me.

Maybe someone sober will work it out……

Anyway boys, I apologise for placing myself aggressively on the end of Jib’s fist.

Bloody blart, eh?

• 42 ballerfan2 // Sep 10, 2016 at 10:35 PM

What does Dummett have to do to get some recognition with our fans. 8 votes for not putting a foot wrong and linking up really well with Gouffran on the left, while Diame who was absolutely useless all night gets 66. Were these people actually watching the game? I despair.

• 43 Magtoonpie // Sep 11, 2016 at 6:19 AM

My decision was slightly influenced by shelvey’s recent comments. I wanted to vote for Gouffran but I can remember Shelvey having more possession and forward momentum. I voted for Shelvey but what a great goal from Gouffran.

• 44 Owldman // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Shelvey could have opened their defence a couple of times if he had passed the ball to player running into space instead he chose to pass the ball back.no progressive enough.

previous post: Watch Adam Armstrong’s Magnificent Winner For Barnsley – Video