The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Derby 0 Newcastle 2 – Video Highlights

7:44 am, Sunday, September 11th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

Here are the video highlights of the Newcastle game goals yesterday.

For some reason the full EFL highlights of the game have been blocked for the US region for the first time – that’s not good.

The game was streamed live over here on beIN Sports.

Here are the full EFL video highlights if you get them in your region of the world.

Tags: Championship · Newcastle News · Other News · Video

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Sep 11, 2016 at 7:57 AM

Sir ,sir she started it !

Jail for Ashley – “No she didn’t”

Yes she did

She invaded Poland

ha ha ha
    😀

• 2 cyprus // Sep 11, 2016 at 8:02 AM

Nice to be able to comment about a game I actually watched in full.

General comments: Rafa got the balance spot on, surrendering the majority of possession (53%, thought it was more), and generally playing a solid 11. One can’t complain about such a generally solid performance, where the opponents hardly threatened (p.s. they have a scoring problem), but, our 3 shots on target are something to think about. On a positive note, loved it that Rafa was coaching from the sidelines. You could hear him shouting for everyone to come out and press the second they played a back-pass. Even the opponents may have been unnerved.

Derby are a team full of very talented footballers, when they get it right they’ll be beating teams. So, good we played them now.

Our players all earned their salaries. Still, Perez and Gayle could’ve done better, you could say. Ritchie too, though less so and though he was excellent defensively.

MOM was a hard one. Gouffy for scoring a cracker (and tilting the game solidly in our favour) and putting in a shift? Anita for eliminating the threat of that tricky little guy, and more? The other 3 defenders for being super solid throughout? Shelvey who, despite his usual passes to… imaginary players and occasional switching off, was battling all over, generally passed well, had a calming influence, and instead of pointing was there himself? Yedlin for being genuinely talented and fast (and possibly scoring)? (PS. he had very few minutes)…Finally went with unfancied Colback. He covered every blade, hardly allowed anyone to breathe around him, and probably had 100% accuracy. A top top performance for that position.

PS. Charlie, saw your assessment, good stuff. Yes, Lascelles very solid and dominant and Diame decent. Maybe I was swayed by two occasions when he could’ve set up Gayle and Yedlin for easy shots. In defence to Colback, I suspect those passes and that sort of play is exactly what was needed from him.

• 3 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 11, 2016 at 8:05 AM

Great result
    Got the job done
    But I thought we were too defensive at times as I thought Derby’s defence looked poor when we attacked – but I suppose I have to get use to it.
    Too many backhand sideways passes
    My MOM was Lascalles who looked class yesterday headed everything put into the box
    Followed by: Anita – showed he can read the game rarely misses a tackle
    Goufran (great goal) and tireless running trying to link up defence midfield and attack
    Diame – another impressive power display but maybe could of done better when he burst forward

Rest of team

Still not impressed with SELS flaps at crosses and seems to forget where his goal is and is back peddling flapping at the ball – nearly got caught out twice.
    Dummett – Defended well but use of ball poor
    Mbemba – Good game but mistook nearly let in Derby
    Colback – Did what he had to do but slows the momentum down with too many square and backward passes
    Shelvey – decent game but slowed the ball down and passed backwards too much for me
    Ritchie – decent game but was starved of the ball
    Gayle – Again starved of the ball needs a fellow striker to play off.

Subs: Yedlin – looks a decent buy for this league got stuck in where it matters for second goal
    Perez – nice lay back for goal
    Hayden- not on long enough to asses

Best player on the pitch maybe becaus

• 4 MassiveG // Sep 11, 2016 at 8:14 AM

Trying to beg, borrow or steal two tickets for QPR on Tuesday. Anyone got any leads?

• 5 cyprus // Sep 11, 2016 at 8:17 AM

This late your best bet is to steal them.

• 6 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 11, 2016 at 8:20 AM

I agree Shelvey passed sideways and backwards a lot but I think that reflected not a lot of positive movement ahead of him. He’ll pick a forward pass if it’s there. I thought Gayle, Diame and Ritchie were pretty pedestrian to be fair. Diame grew into the game but he was anonymous for the first half hour. I like Ritchie a lot but he gave a masterclass today in the limitations of having a left-footed right winger. Colback will always divide opinion it seems.

• 7 MassiveG // Sep 11, 2016 at 8:24 AM

Well I’ll sit in one of the blocks closest to the away end and be prepared for my own fans to be yelling at me! Like Spurs last year

• 8 sing in the corner // Sep 11, 2016 at 8:36 AM

Charlie
    Reflecting on your player review..
    Good stuff as always.
    For me you are a little harsh on Dummett and Colback, who did a solid job in this away game. One foul all game from Jack, stopped Derby doing anything in the midfield area. Good recycling of the ball.
    Maybe generous to Ritchie when you say he was starved of ball. By his high standards he was less bright and sharp on the ball going forward than he has been. But maybe he was sitting in a little more under instruction….?

• 9 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:46 AM

I don’t want to p1ss on our parade.

But I am not sure if anybody watched the PL matches this Saturday.
    The so called Weaker teams that we boiled p1ss over, the likes of Watford. What a performance vs the hammers.

The also have a Rafa of their own in Walter Mazzarri brilliant coach from Italy. They demolished the hammers 4:2. If we even make the cut to perform in the PL is going to be MASSIVELY difficult.

Just looking at the pace and pressure and passing accuracy of the PL its getting better and better. We would have to re-haul the team once again to perform there.

We would seriously have to spend big I reckon.

previous post: Rafa Benitez Praise For The Comeback Kid