Former Coach Nigel Pearson Gives His Verdict On Newcastle

Nigel Pearson has talked about his former club Newcastle after our good 2-0 win at Pride Park yesterday, although it was another tough game and that had been expected.

In fact Newcastle are expecting a tough game in almost every single game this season and nothing can be taken for granted in the Championship.

That’s a good way to approach every game and we have Rafa Benitez to thank for that professionalism.

nigel-pearson

Nigel Pearson – Derby County manager

This is what Nigel said after the game:

“I think they’ve got depth of quality in their squad, for sure,” “They’ve flexed their muscles in terms of ability to strengthen their squad.”

“They’ve got an experienced manager so I would fully expect them to be up there as front-runners.”

“I think the expectation’s there for them to do that, but expectation is one thing. And dealing with expectation is one of the key elements of being able to fulfill potential.”

“They’ve showed early signs that they’ve got those capabilities.”

“But it’s a tough old season. It’s long and quite arduous, so it always tests the resolve of players and everyone else associated with the club.”

“But I’ve worked there myself so I know the infrastructure is very, very sound and, you know, they’re looking pretty good, aren’t they?”

Nigel was a good coach at Newcastle from October, 2006 when he was hired as assistant manager by Glenn Roeder and he stayed about 18 months until February of 2008.

That was after Kevin Keegan came back to manage the club.

Nigel was at the club in the short eight months Sam Allardyce was the manager – from May, 2007 through January of the following year, when he was sacked and Kevin came in.

Pearson is usually fairly scant in his praise, so that is quite a positive assessment of Newcastle.

• Ron Knee

Sep 11, 2016 at 2:48 PM

Peter Withe looks old.

• bettyswallocks

Sep 11, 2016 at 2:51 PM

15bettyswallocks // Sep 11, 2016 at 2:50 PM

Nice reality check from Mr. Militant Ruddy earlier. Nice of him to remind us that only a landslide victory in the Championship this season whilst dominating all the other 3rd rate teams in this crap league will be acceptable.
    He points out that we have a premiership team with a premiership manager competing in an inferior division so we are expected to stroll it.
    I am wondering if Rafa fails to deliver who will be responsible according to wor Ruddy.

• Toon Tang

Sep 11, 2016 at 2:56 PM

Bloody hell villa.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:06 PM

forest equaliser – Lansbury for Forest looks a decent player

• Toon Tang

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:07 PM

Charlie, thank chuff for that haha

• Belfast

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:08 PM

That ref is a knob couldn’t wait to send him off ridiculous

• Belfast

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:10 PM

That was him from Fulham I think

• Vask

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:16 PM

Just been checking out the fixture list for the rest of the month. If we can keep this streak going we’ll be looking in good shape. I am particularly looking forward to the villa and Norwich games.
    Villa away can give us a good indication of how much we have improved from out last visit. Also put some daemons to rest if we can winnit.
    Norwich at home be nice. My first ever attendance at St James Park seen us pitted against Norwich. We won 2-0 if I recollect correctly.

• Belfast

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:17 PM

Good result 🙂 That referee is a turkey though.

• Vask

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:23 PM

Brighton v. Huddersfield on Tuesday should be good. I’ll be rooting for Hoots to eliminate the remaining undefeated championship team. The added bonus is that Brighton can’t pass us with a victory. Happy days.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:25 PM

We were pretty poor in the first two games as it was but it’s a shame we came up against the surprise league leaders in just the second game, had we more time to gel as a team we’d probably have beaten them. I think we’ll tear them apart down at their place.

• Vask

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:25 PM

Because as we know hoots’s managerial career is just a cover for his main job as hired professional hitman. Chris ‘the hitman’ Hoots as he’s known on the darkweb.

• Vask

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:28 PM

Jail – I hope so. I do have slight softspot them though as once their AI board on cm97/98 once offered me the job as manager.

• Toon Tang

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:33 PM

Vask 13 hahahaha

• Markaccus

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Vask

I always used to try and buy Marcus Stewart (i think that was the bame of their really good striker) but they would never even consider the offer.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:36 PM

Vask,
    Ah Championship Manager, me Scarborough and a year of my life I’ll never get back.

• Markaccus

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:36 PM

He’d usually end up in the England squad, too, and be playing for Arsenal or Man u

• Markaccus

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:37 PM

Cm97/98 is still imo the best manager game there has ever been. Its all too complicated now.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:41 PM

Took them from the fourth division to tenth in the PL, replaced Marcelo Lippi at the toon while in the bottom three, took us in to the Championship league spot that same season and made a balls of it the next season and completely lost interest in it.

• Markaccus

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:41 PM

Yep. Just checked. Marcus stewart, who went on in real life to play for the Makems.

• Markaccus

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:42 PM

Jail

Cambridge UTD were class in the bottom division. I often started with them. They had fantastic attacking players compared to the other teams in the division.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:44 PM

I was only ever Scarborough and the Toon, lost a third division playoff final once and done the whole season again, none of that saving games until you won malarky.

• Vask

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Haha nice guys. I seem to remember Ibrahim Bakayoko as an absolute beast on that game. After a while I used the editor to create a new team with a load of mint players named after band members and various derivatives of my surname.

Mark I would have been inclined to agree with you for a number of years but I got one of them sold out reproductions of cm4 and wasted many years of my life. Would still be playing it if any of my devices would install it.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:47 PM

I think it is responsible for many marital breakdowns.

• Vask

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:47 PM

Before I worked out how to create my own team I would just load Northampton with the likes of the real Ronaldo, Maldini, Boban and others. I wad always a terribly good cheat.

• Belfast

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:48 PM

Yes! I was at the peak of my powers in championship manager as well. On the dodgiest looking PC ever. Think there was another around at the same time for PlayStation one – Premier manager or something. I became a tactical genius around this time. 🙂

• Vask

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:49 PM

Oh aye Jail the missus hated my constance. Didn’t beak up though. Probly because I had to stop playing it.

• Vask

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:50 PM

To this I still resent not being able to exit the game when things aren’t going to plan, stoopid real life!

• Ron Knee

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:52 PM

Joe Hart getting crucified in the sports media!

• Vask

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:55 PM

Why’s that, Ron?

• Belfast

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:55 PM

Aye a hear Worlds greatest goalkeeper made a mistake for Torino Ron.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:56 PM

Was good watching Villa dropping more points again!

They have signed a lot of good attacking players but are still woeful at the back hopefully we can get so far ahead of them before they eventually click

• jimmysmith

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:56 PM

Rotunda, Mitrovic isn’t lumbering, he has both skill and physical presence. He’s lost weight for a start, and like Shelvey should be that much better for it. This side doesn’t need to resort to the hopeful punt to a big man up top and won’t, it needs one on the end of crosses, and it’s little men picking up second balls in the final third. The question isn’t whether he should be in the side, but just how good we’d be if Rafa can get him playing as well as he’s capable.

• Ron Knee

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:56 PM

Vask

He made a bad mistake on his debut!

• Vask

Sep 11, 2016 at 3:56 PM

Oh I see, up to his old tricks again.

• Vask

Sep 11, 2016 at 4:00 PM

Jim.

‘if?’ Here’s an if for you. If rafa can get Goufran playing his best I have every faith in him getting it out of my favourite player.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 11, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Jimmy,
    It maybe doesn’t need to resort to that kind of football but the Fulham game showed it’s good to have different options.

• Tsunki

Sep 11, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Afternoon, Jimmy- just taking a break from my fascist lynch-mobbing activities to do a bit of skullbloggery. 🙂

I think there’s an element of Rafa holding Mitrovic back as for example, I would hold back my vicious attack dog from attacking crazy commie trouble-makers until I’d got it into a frenzy ha ha. Hopefully working on his fitness while he stews from his ban period will make him hungry. But there is that crazy attack dog element that can have him running onto the pitch and tearing at everything that moves ha ha let’s hope psychologically Rafa can keep that tethered.

• Tsunki

Sep 11, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Saw Armstrong go goal yesterday, thought if anything can shout natural striker it was that cheeky move. Would have worked in any Division that one too.

• firebug666

Sep 11, 2016 at 4:45 PM

Tsunki

It was a great goal, pure class, would have loved him to have scored that for us in the prem against any of the top six, just to have “them” wonder what the hell they spent their money on. 😀