The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rising Star Already Impressing Benitez With His Work-Rate

9:06 pm, Sunday, September 11th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 77 Comments

There has been quite a bit of news in Seattle since yesterday’s game about their local boy DeAndre Yedlin getting his first goal for Newcastle United in our excellent 2-0 win at Derby.

The Americans are parochial and they are always keen to keep track of their locals doing well wherever they are – and we have a feeling there will be more news about Yedlin and Newcastle United in Seattle in the months and years ahead.

DeAndre Yedlin in action yesterday

It was a fortunate goal for the American in the 91st minute but they all count of course – and it was great foresight by Jonjo Shelvey who saw Ayoze Perez free and swung the ball over to him  from the left wing.

Perez first timed it back across goal and it was somehow bundled into the net with Yedlin getting the credit and falling head over heels in the process.

This is what DeAndre has said on the Newcastle web-site today:

“It was a great moment.” “I didn’t really know it had gone in until our fans started yelling, but it was a great sound to hear.”

“Credit to Ayoze for the assist because he took the ball out of the air and played it across perfectly, right into the middle.”

“I tried to get anything I could on it. I don’t know whether I did, or whether it was a Derby player, but the most important thing was it went in.”

“I don’t get too many goals so it’s a rare one for me, but it’s a pretty special feeling and hopefully I can score more goals for this Club.”

“It was a really good win.” “It’s always hard to go away and seal 3 points so I’m really proud that we did that against a good Derby team.”

“I think we dominated the game. They had some chances but for the most part we were pretty dominant.” “When you go up 1-0 you can keep the ball and start to slow the game down a little bit.”

“They had to push more numbers forward, they had to take more risks at the back and the game became a tiny bit easier for us.”

“But to win 2-0 away from home is good and we are now looking forward to Tuesday at Queens Park Rangers.”

Yedlin works his socks off for Newcastle and he has great speed down that right wing and we’re sure Rafa Benitez has quickly noticed his work-rate and keenness in training.

That’s probably why the 23 year-old has appeared in the last two games for Newcastle.

Like other new signings he seems so keen to learn from Rafa and when you have that combination of hard work and ambition, success cannot be too far away.

We can see this young American soon becoming a huge favorite with the Geordie fans.

He’s the lad who loves the City of Newcastle and realized just how big a club Newcastle is when he was playing for Sunderland last season.

There’s  a message there somewhere.

Tags: Championship · Coaching · DeAndre Yedlin · Match Reports · Newcastle News · Other News

77 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:11 PM

• 2 Magtoonpie // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:12 PM

Just goes to show how the sport is growing in America when you have an American in NUFC. Hope this creates more NUFC fans sometimes it’s hard to find a place to watch the game. Wish him luck at NUFC.

• 3 Jib // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Sunlun Fans

• 4 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Wait, I fail to understand… You claim that we weren’t behaving like adults so you criticised us. But then you proceed to throw a playground insult at me with no real explanation as to why it was justified. So really your first post was hypocritical to say the least. Well done you.

• 5 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Jib did he score a goal for them?

• 6 Jib // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:18 PM

Ha ha ha

• 7 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:19 PM

Yeah just read your link. They are pretty bitter. Really like Yedlin, finally some pace in the side. Wonder if he was signed mainly as a right winger but full back back up to Anita and Gamez?

• 8 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:19 PM

I just knew that Ed would stick up another thread after I had posted.

Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:18 PM

I had to finish watching the match at 5am this morning due to social circumstances so this is my first chance to comment.

Firstly I went for Shelvey as MOM, it could easily have been any one of about around 6 different players. What convinced me was the way towards the end of the game he was chasing down what looked like lost causes for the team.
    Picking up on another comment made in an earlier thread as to why the likes of Dummett and Colback get so few votes even though they have made massive contributions to the game (or previous games even). Well surely that’s obvious, Ed is asking for a single vote for the MOM, unless they are doing a Goofy they won’t get so many votes.

Another thing that stands out imo is the way the defenders do not take chances and try to be clever by trying to play their way out of trouble when they aren’t aware of attackers around them. The ball goes straight into touch giving the defence the chance to reorganise, this has to be a Rafa tactic.
    And yes they can and do play their way out of trouble when they have a controlled situation. Again a Rafa instilled sign of confidence.

Hope all of that makes sense.

• 9 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:23 PM

It was a great goal but how can Rafa in fairness drop Anita who could easily have got the MOM vote.

Interesting that Yedlin was the only late incomer to get on the bench.

• 10 Jib // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:23 PM

Hope all of that makes sense.
    Ha ha ha

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:24 PM

Who was kicking off about the seemingly eccentric billionaire promising to put in 20M a year and replacing the hated Freddie Shepherd.

• 12 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:25 PM

Don’t worry it makes sense. What Rafa has done to this club is miraculous, the turnaround in fortunes is so drastic. The fact that he can make a relegation worth it is incredible. We look like a very solid team in this league and that is a great credit to Rafa- who is still learning in this league. I really hope we draw a premier league team in the cup; seeing what standard we are at against them will be really interesting.

• 13 Jib // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:28 PM

Bill we are playing games virtually every 3 days for the forseeable future.
    This is what dominates Rafa’s thinking – and so it should – recovery time for players is a big part of his coaching philosophy !

• 14 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:28 PM

Jib, you’re very handy with links… Any chance you could post a link to a qpr blog or forum? Really interested to hear there thoughts on there upcoming game against us.

• 15 Jib // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:33 PM

There were mutterings about a sweatshop owner buying into the club before all the sharholders had been contacted !
    You won’t remember because you are a late bandwagon jumper who at that time was helping Mr Tuff supplement his Lena Zavaroni collection.

• 16 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:34 PM

Jib I was hoping that some one with more than half a brain would actually read it before coming out with a stupid sarcastic reply, seems in your instance I was wrong.

Cheers mate I’m glad there are people on the blog who are reading comments properly and not looking for a chance to try and put non aggressive bloggers down.

• 17 Jib // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:35 PM

• 18 SUTTY1978 // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:35 PM

Yedlin was alright yesterday. I was in with the home fans (unfortunately) and when he came on he was playing right in front of me on the right wing. He’s got a good bit of pace. The worst thing he did was the cross for Ritchie, he had so much time to pick someone out, he had his head up and then…. He absolutely nails it as hard as possible so Ritchie had zero chance to control it.
    Anyway apart from that he looks ok, didn’t give the ball away once and linked quite nicely with others around him.
    From where I was sat I also got a good look at Dummett in the first half. He’s also a lot quicker than you’d think and didn’t put a foot wrong defensively in the first half. Colback on the other hand…. his missed tackles just seemed to open us up and leave loads of space. There was one he absolutely flew into in the first half without connecting with the man or the ball. If he’d connected with the man he’d have been off (or at least it looked like that from where I was!)

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:38 PM

I remember very well and recall the majority, in fact everyone I knew being delighted he’d taken over.

• 20 Jib // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:38 PM

whoops Bill you miss the humour that was intended.
    mixing with crusty southernrs too much methinks
    have a horlicks and go to bed

• 21 AndyMac // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:39 PM

Seattle folk following the Toon ? Presumably they’ve forgotten how much we sucked in the p!!s poor game against Portland reserves last season ?

I would think NUFC has a lot of image building to do before we start attracting US floating fans.

• 22 Jail for Ashley // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:41 PM

You, squelch and the hoop cleaning Ian Toon make one of the oddest triumvirates in social media history.

• 23 Jail for Ashley // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:42 PM

Andy Mac,
    That was quite a pi ss poor pre season that mind.

• 24 SUTTY1978 // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:43 PM

Jib, nice of you to rewrite history. At the time Ashley was seen as a self made sportswear magnate, it’s only recently he’s been seen as a seedy sweatshop owning draconian scumbag.
    If you remember he bought out Halls shares but was delayed in buying Shepheards because FF was in hospital. He needed both sets of shares to enable a compulsory sale of the privately owned shares.
    I don’t remember any negative stories around at the time. Feel free to google the shit out of it to find any stories of malcontent among fans in 2007 prior to purchase.

• 25 Magtoonpie // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:51 PM

Newcastle is already looking unrecognizable from the club of a few years back. Any new fans will likely grow with the team. Some probably will leave but it is now easier to follow the premier league than years back and some Americans are looking for a club I know I was six years ago when I found NUFC and I am still here after all that’s happened.

• 26 Jib // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:51 PM

Read the fans comments at the end of a very long article

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:53 PM

The gormless buffoon even posted a link from some of the very first posts from Ed to show that there was an anti Ashley brigade, there wasn’t a single post mentioning him, it was all about Allardyce!

• 28 Jib // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:54 PM

We managed to attract floating Nottingham Forest fans .
    nudg nudge wink wink – know what I mean ?

• 29 welshgeordie9 // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:54 PM

22Jail for Ashley // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:41 PM

Thanks for the compliment, it’s a pleasure and an honour to be on the same list as those two.

Ha ha ha

• 30 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Good performance yesterday. No bums off seats entertainment, but sensible, pragmatic and effective. Not the free flowing stuff many on here clamour for, but exactly what is required to become successful. It is one of the things Rafa does exceptionally well, along with his general game management.

Derby may have had a lot of play, but they rarely hurt us. Not sure on MoM, probably would go for Shelvey or Gouffran. I thought both did very well, but they weren’t alone in performing the task assigned to them at a very good level.

Colback gets a lot of stick on here, but he was an important player in that side yesterday, and Dummet did well mostly, with a lot of assistance from Gouffran.

Gayle worked hard, but I didn’t think it was a great performance from him. Would have liked to see Mitro or Murphy who could have given us a stronger outlet to hold the ball up. It is difficult to drop a guy with 4 in 4 though, so no real surprise he got the nod.

All in all, an very good 3 points, a solid and largely comfortable performance, and an important victory against a side who were expected to be fighting it out for promotion.

• 31 Jib // Sep 11, 2016 at 9:59 PM

You cannot be that dense (actually you probably can) even now with Rafa – there are the usual suspects just waiting for him to slip up so they can resume the attacks on the owner !

• 32 SUTTY1978 // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:00 PM

Jib, OK read the comments, they are not exactly scathing are they?, most say it’s good news, the most negative one says that being the 25th richest man in the country might not be enough for us to compete with Abramovic!
    If that’s showing the fans ire at Ashley’s proposed takeover then it’s laughable.

• 33 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:00 PM

No problem Essex. Thanks jib, I’m going to read it now.

• 34 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:00 PM

Also, lovely goal from Arma. Great pace, clever touch, and composed finish. All just 17 minutes after coming off the bench as well. Keep it up!

• 35 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:02 PM

Thank you for pointing out that your vapid comment was meant to be an attempt at humour.

Do keep tying, who knows you may one day be as funny as G2 or welshy.

• 36 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:02 PM

Opps, sorry I should have added a……….. 🙂

• 37 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:03 PM

Oops, even 🙂

• 38 Jib // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:03 PM

QPR under JFHasselbaink will be a much better indication of where we’re at !

• 39 Jail for Ashley // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:05 PM

Are you having a laugh with that link, there is one guy who says he doesn’t know whether he should be happy as we don’t know anything about the Mike Ashley. How right he was. You are WRONG yet again Jibberish, how many times do you mess up. Fans were delighted when Ashley took over, you were probably too busy in Afghanistan or hosting a star studded party at the time. You might even have been delivering a speech to Nelson Mandela or Kofi Anan.

• 40 Jib // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:07 PM

Jail – who I can assure you didn’t have a clue about NUFC in 2007 – infers the fans were turning cartwheels – bollix – the anti Ashley politically motivated drongos were out in force .

• 41 jimmysmith // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:09 PM

Never played “walking football” Ian. I played football and walked. Gayle and Perez can’t lead a line like Aguerro for example, neither has the body strength. It’ll be Mitrovic or Murphy by and large, with Murphy a good player for us at this level, and Mitrovic potentially an outstanding one despite his and others fallings out with the Serbian National side.

• 42 Jail for Ashley // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:09 PM

Excellent goal and imo totally justifies the decision to send him on loan, he looked like there was too much expectation on him here, if he bags ten goals in netween now and January we have a 25M signing on our hands for free.

• 43 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:10 PM

I don’t think the overplaying at the back is necessarily down to Rafa training them to do it, more the type of centre half he is championing and has brought into the club. Lascelles, Hanley and Clark can hardly be classed as ball playing defenders, Hanley in particular is very much the safety first type.

Mbemba still tries to play more than the others from the games I’ve watched, which to me indicates it isn’t necessarily trained, more a natural reaction of those in position. I have only seen 3 games so far though, so maybe I have just watched games where we have been more comfortable in possession at the back.

I far prefer the safety first attitude if you can’t be certain of controlled possession – just look at Vardy’s goal yesterday – what was Lucas thinking! I tear my hair out sometimes watching some of my young defenders as all of them want to over play it at the back. Partly due to Malawian football culture, and partly due to circumstances of the football they played before joining Chigoli (my organisation).

• 44 jimmysmith // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:11 PM

He himself seemed amazed at just how good it was. Newcastle is different though. Heavy shirt, but yeah, keep it up.

• 45 SUTTY1978 // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:11 PM

Jib, Jail is right, they were. Fast forward a month from the takeover when Ashley revealed he was paying off all the debt and that he was going to stick an extra £20m a season in the pot and the fans were all lapping it up.
    As I said earlier it wasn’t until the Keegan shenanigans that the fans turned.

• 46 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:15 PM

Haven’t seen much of QPR under Hasselbaink. Can’t say their results make them look an intimidating prospect mind, not that I’m writing them off. I think the Brighton game is the best indicator so far. I do agree Derby have been poor so far and are struggling though, so in that sense the result wasn’t as impressive as it sounds based on preconceptions.

Fully agree. A loan is definitely the best option for him at the moment. I’d probably not look to bring him back in Jan unless he is really firing and is going to immediately displace a first teamer and get a good run in the side. That would probably be Gayle or Perez based on style and type.

If Gayle keeps scoring, then I think Arma will be left to continue with a view to him getting a full season and coming back ready to fight in pre season.

• 47 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:18 PM

I do remember seeing some anti Ashley stuff relating to his work practices when he bought the club, but from memory they weren’t from our fan base. More from workplace campaigners and that sort of ilk. They were only minor though, I guess as he wasn’t in the public eye before the purchase.

Impossible to know, but I wonder how much less scrutiny his practices would have come under had he not bought the club.

• 48 Jail for Ashley // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:20 PM

If we are comfortably top but Barnsley are breathing down our necks due to his ten or more goals then it would make perfect sense to get him back, give them Perez 😉

• 49 Jail for Ashley // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:22 PM

That was a smiley not a wink?

• 50 Jail for Ashley // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:22 PM

And should have added to soften the blow

• 51 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Ha, I’d be surprised if Barnsley are still there or thereabouts by then. Provided we keep our heads in front though, imagine the confidence he would have coming back to a promoted Newcastle after also firing Barnsley to a shock promotion!

• 52 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:25 PM

Ha, I thought you were sending Perez undercover to sabotage them! If we do that, maybe hide Ayoze for 6 months and send them his brother from Blyth instead – if his brother is still at Blyth.

• 53 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:26 PM

Don’t know who cares but Qpr fans seemingly expect victory against us since they are home. Apparently we are buying the league, even though we didn’t actually spend any money. They also say that we are very beatable and overrated, makes me want us to smash them now. See what they say after that. It seems they aren’t playing great though, with Rafa I’m sure we will get the win. He’ll know how to beat them.

• 54 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:33 PM

I’d imagine Raf’s approach against QPR won’t differ too much from Derby. We will be composed and compact. Play with minimal spaces between the lines, and gift very little creative space to their players.

It is difficult to rely on being as clinical as we were against Derby, so again, Rafa’s game management will come into play. I’m fairly sure we will see a few changes in personnel to start the game, so it will be interesting to see how he rotates.

I am expecting Mitro or Murphy to lead the line at QPR, with Gayle saved to use his pace against tired legs if(when) it is required later on. I doubt Mitro or Murphy are 100% and to keep up the work rate will not last 90.

It will be interesting to see when he decides Lazaar, Yedlin and Atsu are ready to start. I doubt Lazaar or Atsu would start at QPR, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Yedlin given a start.

• 55 bettyswallocks // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:37 PM

Jib……. What were your very first instinctive feelings when Ashley became owner and what were your expectations?

• 56 jimmysmith // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:46 PM

Lazaar also will be worked in over the next few weeks as the squad plays so many games. He has a clear opportunity to win the shirt with the bar at left back neither particularly high or low as things stand he should know exactly what he needs to do. Yedlin will have a tougher time usurping Anita, who is a splendid all round pro in terms of technique and application. Also didn’t think Gouffran had an outstanding game, though you’d hardly be marked down when you run around that much and score a goal like that. Also an impeccable pro. All of a sudden we seem to have a few. Colback and Shelvey were good. I suspect that’s our central mid for the big games.

• 57 bettyswallocks // Sep 11, 2016 at 10:54 PM

Jib….. Question too difficult?

• 58 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 11, 2016 at 11:01 PM

Gouffran’s work rate is one of his greatest assets. He was outstanding in the support he gave to Dummet and the team through his tracking back. He is never going to be the most creative player, or dazzle us all with skills and tricks, but he has product, whether it be defensively or offensively. For me that is more important than a player who has all the tricks or has great ability, but doesn’t work or play for his team.

By work or play for your team, I don’t necessarily mean performing like Gouffran and tracking back right into your own corner to win the ball. It all depends how your team is set up and strengths and weaknesses of it.

Anita has done well, and I think, as someone pointed out earlier, Yedlin could find himself performing both full back and on the wing for us, utilising his pace and work ethic again. It is a big thing for Benitez from the teams I have seen of his. His wide players are invariably hard workers. For this reason, Atsu confuses me as a signing, unless Rafa is intending to use him through the middle as a no.10, where he has played a fair bit before.

Rafa spoke of different players needing different settling times, and each will be given what they need. I think the first we will see of Lazaar as a starter will be the Wolves cup match in 9 days time. That gives him a bit of match time prior to what are potentially a couple of big fixtures against Villa away and then Norwich at home.

• 59 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 11, 2016 at 11:03 PM

As for Colback and Shelvey, they were both very good and instrumental to our win. I doubt Colback will get the praise he deserves, but I think he was up there with Shelvey and Gouffy as one of our most important players yesterday.

• 60 giimps // Sep 11, 2016 at 11:04 PM

I can remember thanking chris mort for getting rid of hippo heed, he was in the families enclosure lounge just walking through and I stopped him to say thanks.
    He was very approachable and I think if he had been md for longer ,the wheels wouldn’t have come off ,it seemed to be the introduction of owl heed and p!ss wise when it went pear shaped…….Cashleys biggest mistake imho

• 61 bettyswallocks // Sep 11, 2016 at 11:04 PM

Don’t understand why you would jib at that jib. Perfectly normal question related to this evenings discussion. I didn’t intend to Make you take your bat and ball home. Sorry.

• 62 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 11, 2016 at 11:08 PM

Goofy has always been an impeccable pro. He was overrated by people when he first arrived, even more so after his good start, and then given far too much criticism when he settled and became more of the player he was prior to joining us.

I don’t think he was forced to become a defensive winger by Pardew (although the tactics when we sat deep did make this more prevalent), he was just someone who was committed to giving his all and working for the team, which invariably meant he would play deep as we were often under pressure.

• 63 jimmysmith // Sep 11, 2016 at 11:13 PM

I think Gouffran is pretty good on the ball, and in his use of the ball, it was that part of his game which wasn’t as good as it can be for mine. Ritchie had a similar game in that regard I think. But both very mature pros, and think they can serve us very well this season up and down either flank. We are a well balanced side when they are both on the pitch.

• 64 giimps // Sep 11, 2016 at 11:20 PM

Gouffy is an undervalued player, we bought him for something like 1.2m and in the time he’s been here he has done everything he has been asked/told to do ,his main role was striker and he believed (as I am led to believe when he said in an interview he would help replace Demba bas goals) that he would get the chance up front, not one manager has given him a sustained role in his preferred position, most favouring the likes of cisse and rivière ahead of him…..imho he is a better pro than them, works his ass off and has ability and is fully deserving of raf as trust in him to cover the left or right …….if his name is on the team sheet I won’t think ,oh well we may as well just have 10 players on the pitch like I did after cisse had been playing sometimes.

• 65 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 11, 2016 at 11:24 PM

Agreed, we have work rate, and above average Championship/lower Prem ability on both flanks now. It gives us balance, and helps support the team as a unit.

I was critical of the Gouffran signing when we made it as I saw himas a workmanlike player who would end up a squad player – which he did eventually, although it did take longer than I’d anticipated due to lack of options. I felt we needed someone with the same ethic, but a bit more creativity. That was odd for me, as I generally prefer a team player to a flair player or a player who plays as an individual.

Clearly, a player who is both would be best, but they are pricey, and in demand at more successful clubs than us. Cabaye was about as close as we’ve had to that recently, although Ayoze could well become that.

Now though, I look at him as probably the best signing of the window if you discount the financial bottom line which saw profit made on (huge) Sissoko and Debuchy. Better goals and assists per time played than Sissoko, more committed than Debuchy, and Mbiwa just didn’t work. Mbabu could change my thoughts on that given time.

• 66 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 11, 2016 at 11:32 PM

I agree he is a better pro. He was mainly a striker, but was far from prolific and was the player that works to give others space, benefitting of a fantastic clean strike, and opportunities afforded to him through knock downs, and scraps. He had played a fair bit on the left before he joined us, and it wasn’t a new or unusual position for him.

I don’t think he is anywhere near being a goalscoring centre forward in the Prem. The way we have been mainly set up during his time here would not have leant itself to his style of centre forward play, and I think playing him wide gave him the best chance of success in England. Having said that, I could see him being effective paired with Mitro or Murphy, creating a similar style pairing to Bellamy and Shearer under SBR.

• 67 jane // Sep 11, 2016 at 11:52 PM

midnight muse

all is well at NUFC in the second tier of English football 🙂

• 68 expatmag // Sep 12, 2016 at 2:05 AM

On the subject of Gouffran and Atsu, I see Rafa using the likes of Atsu and Aarons when playing mostly at SJP against teams who are prepared to park the bus in order to get a result. Their ability and pace to take on defenders and get the ball in would be instrumental in creating opportunities in the middle.

I see Gouffran being used more so away from home when a more patient approach is required to win games against upper table opposition such as Derby. In this case, we nay have to give up possession in order to counter quickly on the break.

• 69 Veltman // Sep 12, 2016 at 4:41 AM

Num 7 for Achraf Lazaar..

• 70 Veltman // Sep 12, 2016 at 5:28 AM

Tiote is still an important player.The main reason he wants him moved out is because he is on a high wage,probably on 40k to 50k.If he stays somehow, the mdfd will be more solid and compact, capable of dominating any team.I for one wants him to stay.I am impressed by his displays in the latter stages of last season.

• 71 Lindisfarne // Sep 12, 2016 at 6:45 AM

I don’t know who, where or when but I recently saw an article on here quoting someone at the club who referred to Atsu as a striker. I thought it was interesting at the time, may be he does not do the covering back required to play on the wing.

• 72 Jib // Sep 12, 2016 at 7:03 AM

Well done again the Geordies !

• 73 Jib // Sep 12, 2016 at 7:21 AM

No question from you could ever be too difficult.
    I’d logged off before you posed it.

When Ashley took us over I was ecstatic.

Working in Jesmond and Heaton for a few years before that -I had the dubious pleasure of knowing Shepherd personally.
    A man less suited to running NUFC than that fat freckled fool Freddy would be hard to find .

However there were people I knew who had deep reservations and some of them just hated the idea of a billionaire southerner owning the club . The same folk 2 years down the line were shouting for an Arab oil magnate to buy from Ashley – weird !

• 74 Jib // Sep 12, 2016 at 7:30 AM

He’s listed on here as a right wing

• 75 mindshaft // Sep 12, 2016 at 7:38 AM

Thauvin scored a decent goal yesterday,
    hopefully making Marseille play him required number of games that invoke purchase

• 76 Jib // Sep 12, 2016 at 7:42 AM

Speaking at his pre-match press conference, Newcastle United boss Rafa Benitez shed some light on Cheick Tiote’s situation at the club, claiming the midfielder’s exit could be imminent, as quoted on the club’s official website.
    The 30-year-old Ivory Coast international moved to St James’ Park in August 2010, and soon became an integral part of the Newcastle side.

Tiote has made 153 appearances for the Magpies, but his importance to the side has diminished over the past two seasons, and he has made just 26 league starts over that period.

Benitez described how a deal to take Tiote to the United Arab Emirates could still be struck, with the transfer window there still open, as quoted by

“The transfer window in UAE is still open and there may be an offer for Cheick Tiote. We are waiting and he is training with us and will see.”

• 77 nufconceandfuturekings // Sep 12, 2016 at 7:49 AM

There is indeed a message, Dr Ed, and it’s a simple one…we’re bigger than Sunderland. Always have been, always will be!

previous post: Former Coach Nigel Pearson Gives His Verdict On Newcastle

next post: Can Newcastle Make It Six Wins In A Row At QPR?