The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Shearer – I Fulfilled My Every Dream At Newcastle

1:42 pm, Monday, September 12th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 15 Comments

Newcastle unveiled the statue this afternoon of one of their all time greats – legendary striker Alan Shearer – and the man himself seems to be humbled by it all.

In his comments Alan said he fulfilled every dream at what he calls his club.

Alan Shearer in front of his statue today

Their were lots of fans who turned out for the unveiling with the cost of the statue being borne by former Chairman Freddy Shepherd, and his family.

Newcastle signed Alan for a then world-record fee of £15M back in the summer of 1996 and in 404 games for his home town club he scored a record 206 goals.

He is one of the best signings for the money that Newcastle have ever made, given his fantastic contributions over 10 seasons to Newcastle United.

This is what Alan has said today:

“It’s been an incredible journey since 1996, never did I think I would be stood here with a statue behind me.”

“I fulfilled every dream of playing for this football club, our football club, my football club and I shared it with every single player, with every single member of staff and with every fan that came to the games.”

“It will give me an immensely proud feeling when I come down this road, when I come to this ground to see this here.”

“Because I enjoyed playing football and I was lucky enough to play football in front of you guys.”

“It’s an incredible feeling.”

Alan scored a record 260 goals in the Premier League and in his total career he scored 379 in 734 games.

For England he notched 30 goals in 63 appearances.

This is what Rafa Benitez said today:

“Alan was an incredible player – the perfect number 9 – and he had a fantastic career representing this great club.”

“The statue is a perfect tribute to a true club legend.”  “I send Alan my very best wishes for a memorable day.”

Alan Shearer was one of the greatest ever players to wear the famous black and white stripes of Newcastle United.

Tags: Alan Shearer · Newcastle News · Other News · Statue

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Sep 12, 2016 at 1:49 PM

Shearer made his peace with the regime ?

• 2 Spoof // Sep 12, 2016 at 1:49 PM

Fulfilled every dream, I hate to remind you Alan but you won naff all with us, surely at the time you joined winning something must have been a must.

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Sep 12, 2016 at 1:51 PM

Rafa was the negotiator. I hope they’ve left a nice place for Rafas statue.

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Sep 12, 2016 at 1:52 PM

I really don’t think he does need reminding of that

• 5 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Sep 12, 2016 at 1:52 PM

What a player was such a shame that he didn’t get to play under another great manager after Sir Bobby !

Some of the dross teams he had creating chances for him it was a miracle he scored so many goals to be honest !

Wish we had got Rafa or someone of his quality after Robson rather than that w”nk Souness!

• 6 c-dog // Sep 12, 2016 at 1:55 PM

Still wish Sir Les & himself had more time up top together. No doubt in my mind that we would have won a league title had this have been the case.

• 7 jayphoto // Sep 12, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Actually managed to get a ticket in the home end on Saturday. Heres a 10 things i noticed from the stands (see different stuff to whats on tv)
    1) Lascelles is both beast and Captain. Talks alot to all players, looks supportive and has really embraced the captaincy. Looks like it means the world to him to lead us out. Defensively he’s still abit raw, Mbembas pace next to him is crucial as he covers. We won’t play a forward line quicker than derbys though and they coped with ease.
    2) You could actually see when we shut up shop. So so organised. We let derby have all the ball but at no point did we ever look like conceding.
    3) Matz Sels is seriously comfortable with the ball at his feet and spends the match about 10 yards further forward than Elliot and darlow. Adds an element to our play. Defenders look like they have confidence playing the ball back to him and he always looked to play it out rather than kick it long.
    4) Not sure Dwight Gayle is right for playing up front on his own. Works hard, gets in the mix but hes very lightweight.
    5) Yedlin is seriously seriously quick. Like the quickest player i’ve ever seen live quick.]
    6) Perez is much slower than I realised.
    7) You can see Shelvey taking on rafas ideas. His game is changing/evolving and he’s probably the best central midfielder in the league when we have possession. He’s also surprisingly quiet on the pitch.
    8) Colback isn’t a good footballer. He can’t actually tackle, he just puts alot of tackles in but he’s more like a jack Russell or a mosquite. His passing isn’t great and his vision isn’t great. Seem to do what Shelvey has stopped doing and that is look for Hollywood passes where he didn’t need to, difference being he didn’t have the ability to make the pass. Runs a lot though.
    9) Dummett is getting better. Be it coaching, or working harder, I don’t know but he didn’t look a liability and Derby featured alot of pace. Anita looked like a career fullback too.
    10) Will Hughes is a player we should look at. Looked Derbys best player by a mile, the problem was he didn’t have players around him that could play on a level his brain works. Derby looked really uneasy with their system, Pearson is setting them up 4-4-2 deep like he did Leicester but with 2 Vardy like players looking to run behind every time. Didn’t look like it suited their players for me. I’d officially rule out Derby as promotion challengers, It’ll take 6 months for them to get used to their tactics

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Sep 12, 2016 at 1:57 PM

One of life’s great if’s. If SBR had of came in after KK gawd only knows what we would have achieved, that team of entertainers ripped apart by a jealous KD then a clueless RG.

• 9 jayphoto // Sep 12, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Actually feel lucky I got to be a nufc supporter, and a kid aged like 12-16 playing football every day when we had shearer. Just meant I was that more excited and appreciative that we had him.
    We’ll never have another like him. Ever. Good players come and go but I think football has moved in such a way that players like Shearer going back to their hometown clubs and breaking records is probably a pipedream now. The money on offer now is so much that if say Armstrong had shearers ability and goals, teams out there would offer such amounts in wages he could never refuse. In shearers day, Only Madrid really paid stupid wages and even then it was only 20k a week more say. Now, with people like Pelle on 300k p/w week in China, imagine what someone like shearer would be worth. Doesn’t matter how much you love a city or club, you can’t turn down 500k p/w even if it means playing in china or the usa for a few years or signing for say Man utd over us.

• 10 jayphoto // Sep 12, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Anyone else a tad worried Rafa is ruining all of us for any future managers?

• 11 magscar // Sep 12, 2016 at 2:09 PM

Some interesting takes from someone at game which as we all know can often give different perspectives on players than TV.

I was thinking of Hanley instead of Mbemba in my Jfa team for height but for the reason you mentioned I suspect Rafa will stay with current partnership.

We have been regularly linked with Hughes and he caught the eye on Tv as well – probably Derby’s best player.

Also agree on Gayle but I think it has been a case of needs must so far and will vary as Mitro’s fitness improves and Murphy integrates more with squad.

Colback splits opinion covers a lot of ground which is picked up on more when at games but not tv needs to cut out silly tackles and pulls on players but I believe he is working on that. Perhaps he falls into that category of player that fans rarely get but team mates rate and miss when he isn’t there? 🙂

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Sep 12, 2016 at 2:09 PM

No Jay,
    You have to enjoy the moment. Jib’s statement that the KK days were the worst thing to ever happen to the club has got to be one of the most anti football statements ever made on here. Still enjoy talking with strangers about the days fondly remembered by every football fan in the country. Funnily enough not that many mention the football on display under Pardews fifth.

• 13 Jib // Sep 12, 2016 at 2:18 PM

Jail not often you and I agree
    These three
    ar e all on record as saying they would have followd Robson to the Toon if Gaspart had released him from his Barcelona contract

• 14 Jib // Sep 12, 2016 at 2:19 PM

• 15 Spoof // Sep 12, 2016 at 2:30 PM

Mbemba and Ritchie both looked a bit jaded to me, you don’t have to be at the game to see that, the tv cameras were enough for us to see that, the cameras can lie, but Hughes was non existent, I have never seen cameras lie to the extent that they hid how good a player Hughes is, sorry Jayphoto, but will Hughes was dreadful, he offered nothing going forward and defensively he was far weaker than Colback, and that is saying something as we all witnessed just how weak he and Anita were last season, at times watching and absorbing a game gives you far more insight into a player and due to how good Hughes reputation is I was watching closely and I have to say that he was very dis-appointing, he was on my one to watch list, not now, very over rated, and lets face it, we are the glamour club in this league so if he can’t get up for us then for me he is a stay away from player.

previous post: Rafa’s Initial Comments – It Will Be Very Difficult