Rafa Benitez Issues This Warning About Newcastle

There have been a number of stories in the papers about how things are getting to be great again at Newcastle and the mood surrounding the club is certainly upbeat.

But Rafa Benitez has noticed that and he has pointed out today that nothing is done yet – we have achieved nothing and we still have 40 games to play this season in the league.

rafa-benitez-one-finger-up-300x202

Rafa Benitez – nothing is done yet

We cannot get too carried away and Rafa cites the case of Hull City last season. when they started out very strongly but then struggled and only just made promotion via the play-offs.

This is some of what Rafa has said in his press conference today:

“It’s easy to carry on with the positive atmosphere when we are winning, it is easy for the fans.”

“They have to enjoy it, but at the same time the message is very clear, nothing is done yet so we have to keep working hard and in the same way.”

“They have to keep playing with the same intensity. Last season Hull had a fantastic start to the season and then they had problems, ended in the play-offs.”

“We have to carry on and enjoy it – they need to stay concentrated and work hard.”

“QPR are very difficult because it is hard to beat them.” “They have pace, they have strong players, can score from set pieces, are a good team and are scoring goals.”

“We have to be confident. We don’t have too many injuries, the same as before, nothing serious just a couple of knocks.”

“We have to approach every game as though it is the most important of the season. If we can carry on doing the same then I will be pleased.”

“The main thing is we have concentrate and we have to approach the game with the right mentality.”

In the first 16 league games Hull won 10 and drew 3 and had a good 33 points on the board after winning their previous five games on the trot – everything looked great.

But then they lost four of the next eight games and put up only 7 points and then struggled after that.

Hull finished fourth top on 83 points and beat Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 in the Championship play-off final at Wembley.

So the message is very clear – we cannot get carried away and as Rafa says – the players must continue to work hard and concentrate.

The last three seasons has shown us that nothing is ever easy at Newcastle – so we take nothing at all for granted these days.

But we’ll be delighted if we can beat QPR tomorrow night in London.

How Will Newcastle Fare At QPR?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• bettyswallocks

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:16 PM

bettyswallocks // Sep 12, 2016 at 3:14 PM

YMFB …… I did put you in up front with Markaccus but have since realised that the blog’s chief investigative officer Mr. Belfast has accepted that you are not in fact Rob Vollans which thankfully clears that matter up. Please accept my apologies and consider yourself as our number nine playing under your rightful moniker YMFB . You must promise however not to deviate from this moniker or this will jeopardise your place in the team.

Markaccus …….. We have now established that Young Mag is Young Mag and not Rob Vollans and he will be your strike partner in the team as long as he doesn’t deviate in any way .

• jayphoto

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:22 PM

@WWSBRD – my view of Hughes, and one shared with a few derby fans around where I live (East Staffs) is that hughes is too good for his team mates and would look world class if surrounded by players making the runs and seeing his passes for him.
    Interesting thought, but would a player like say Pirlo or iniesta or xavi be as effective if surrounded by less intelligent players that didn’t read the game as well?
    Same thing can be said about shelvey… last year cisse and mitrovics movement upfront was terrible, this year we’ve had Gayle making decent runs aswell as Ritchie, Diame and dare I say it Gouffran aswell as anita overlapping making more incisive runs and movement and Shelvey looks twice the player

• bettyswallocks

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:24 PM

I forgot to mention on the blog team sheet that the team captain will be rotated on a game to game basis and the subs bench does include Jesper who is currently sitting it out after being rotated several times already.

• MadisonToon

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:25 PM

jayphoto

Really appreciate the view of a fan at the match. Definitely a different feel to watching on TV, although some of us don’t have any options being 3800 miles away from SJP 🙂

I’m exited to see Yedlin play and hope that he turns into a winger, that pace is incredible (have seen him before) and he could really be a threat down the wing. He could certainly be an overlapping fullback but his defensive ability (much like Janmaat’s or Debuchy’s) isn’t great so maybe just putting him one spot farther up would be better (RW).

Anyway, I look forward to more reports from you and others of what they saw at the games – cheers!

• clinath@ed

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:27 PM

Thought Hughes was excellent on Saturday. Would make a great addition to our team.

• MadisonToon

Gamez
    Shelvey
    Gouffran
    Gayle

• Bambams

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:53 PM

I wonder what Lazaar is going to be like. I like the look of him off ‘denniswisetube’ but it’s going to be a shock for the young lad.

Just hope he starts well and his confidence is high.

• WWSBRD

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:57 PM

jay
    I could see that with Hughes plus he’s just seen some of there better players leave just as he’s coming back to full fitness…tough on the lad really

I think Shelvey was more his fitness that let him down this season he’s been told to get fit and stay that way and he’s looked good so far

• beermonkey

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:00 PM

jayphoto

seen hughs a couple of times when derby have been on tv
    if it hadn’t been for the serious injury he had last season I am sure he would be in the prem now

I noticed from my uncomfortable chair in a bar watching the game that rafa was communicating with shelvey a lot

• Toon Tang

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:07 PM

The pic fits the headline bang on.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:07 PM

Ok thanks betty, although my fitness is pretty poor. Maybe substituting me at half time for WWSBRD would be a good idea? Don’t want to let the team down. You our manager then? ^.^

• MadisonToon

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:09 PM

WWSBRD

I have noticed that at the ends of games Shelvey’s decision making and application drop precipitously. To me, he is definitely one of those players who needs all of his energy to play well and when he’s short of energy or getting worn out, he looks a shadow of what he can be.

That explains why he was so variable last season – he came in out of fitness and that meant he wasn’t able to show consistency which is probably why Rafa didn’t rely on him too heavily. Now with a preseason under his belt and a push on and desire to work, he is looking much better, although still fades in the last 10-15.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:13 PM

Madison

He didn’t fade last game though. Absolutely beautiful cross to Ayoze (who deserves credit aswell, could be in contention for next game) which caught there whole team off guard, new included. He’s very clever, cleverness doesn’t fade. He’s worked on his fitness to, we’ll see where he is at if he starts tommorow.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:14 PM

Me not new.

• WWSBRD

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:17 PM

Madison
    Aye ur not wrong, his debut overcame his lack of fitness but after that it was pretty clear (although I probably ignored it at the time) that he wasn’t fit enough then his confidence took a few knocks and that was that last season

I think him and Hayden could be a good PL partnership judging by their performances so far

• Markaccus

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:19 PM

Betty.

Ah I see. Yes YMFB was absolved a while back from being one of the Infamous Vollans IDs.

Thats good, youth and pace along side my “big man” lumbering form.

YMFB

Prepare to score many goals feeding off my knock downs.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:22 PM

I’m not sure YMFB is innocent at all, is he not PPB, how many gay blokes from Leeds are on this site?

• estechco

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:23 PM

Confirmed Rafa Bingo line-up

Sels

Anita Lascelles Hanley Dummet

Shelvey Hayden

Yedlin Diame Atsu

Mitrovic

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:23 PM

Mark

Aye you might be disappointed big guy… Youth yes! Pace nooo! These days I get stitches just from walking hahaha. Not a reliable strike partner I must admit. Still, my technique with the ball is pretty decent. Never say never I guess.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:24 PM

Jail who is ppb? I’m not from Leeds I’m from Barnoldswick.

• Markaccus

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:29 PM

Is anyone else desperately trying not to go all “finbar saunders” over “ball control”.

Wor lass’ ball control usually incorperates the threat of pliers.

• Markaccus

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:31 PM

Sorry, bot ball control, rather “technique with the ball” Snick snick. Fnaar fnaar. Flamp flamp. Et.c

• Markaccus

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:31 PM

Ffs

Not*

• Markaccus

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:32 PM

Bot ball control is something else completely 😮

• MadisonToon

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:33 PM

I agree that cross was a really intelligent piece of work. However, that doesn’t mean that he hasn’t seemed to fade at the end of games and his fading, at least to me, appears to be more than that of others. His positioning and workrate drop at the end of games more than others even if he does still come up with an impressive pass or other bit of skill during that same time.

Moments of brilliance don’t mask the rest of the end of the game, even though they determine the outcome of the match. I would agree that it was less apparent this time out, but I still hold that he becomes more affected by fatigue than others – probably because we want him to give us moments of brilliance at a higher frequency than we expect others to.

All that said, I think he has all the makings of a good Prem CM if he can maintain a high level of fitness (which any professional footballer should – you can train fitness while it’s immeasurably more difficult to train intelligence).

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:34 PM

Are those comments directed towards me mark? Because I don’t understand lol. 🙂

• Markaccus

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Ymfb

Finbar saunders was a character from the Viz who finds an inuendo in almost any comment. “Technique with the ball” would have sent him into overdrive 😀

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:38 PM

I agree madison but it is something he has clearly worked on. Last season his poor fatigue was clear as day, I think mainly due to his physique. But fair play to him, he has worked hard and we as a club are being rewarded for it. If he keeps it up his fitness levels by the time were in the prem (in Rafa we trust) will be good enough. Got to remember there are more games in this league to, a great workout for our players.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:40 PM

Right I get it lmao. Don’t know why but I didn’t really expect innuendo being brought up in conversation with adults. Not judging by the way, it’s pretty cool that immaturity still hangs around. 🙂

• MadisonToon

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:41 PM

Youngmag

I think his time at Swansea wasn’t great and he came to us with a bit of a ‘hangover of fitness’ from them. Rafa is certainly whipping him into shape and giving him the right tools for success. I think that’s particularly true given the amount of specific coaching we saw from Rafa to Shelvey during the last game – he has some clear ideas for what he wants from him and Shelvey appears to be stepping up to the challenge.

I look forward to his development this season and showing us some more of what he was like against West Ham last season on a consistent basis – already he is doing much more than last season but I suspect he’s got another gear for Rafa to find.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Madison

That’s why Rafa is such a great coach, making players like Shelvey realise there true potential. I agree I’m sure there is another gear in Shelvey which he I’m sure he will find. Thinking about it our younger players are going to flourish with Rafa at the helm. Armstrong coached by him rather then Pardew/Mcclaren/carver is really exciting. Surely less failures from our academy?

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Shelvey has the ability to be a top grade midfielder in the premiership he can do things with the ball that not a lot of English central midfielders can do with the exception of maybe Lallana and Carrick !

Under Rafa I think Hayden and him will develop into quality players

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:55 PM

Lcbp

Agreed, they compliment each other really well as a pairing.

• MadisonToon

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Anyone see Armstrong’s goal this weekend? I’m really disappointed we didn’t keep him around but understand the competition for places, particularly in a 1 up top setup, was going to be tough for him to get much game time. Hopefully he bangs them in and comes back to us with a clear reputation for making it happen at this level.

• hibbit

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:07 PM

till we change the youth / academy staff dont expect to much improvement
    should be Rafa’s next big project from the under 23 down were light years behind other clubs

• Markaccus

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:08 PM

Ymfb

Its not so much immature, more ‘old fashioned’. Like in carry on films. Stuff like that.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:12 PM

Ah ok mark.

• cyprus

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:18 PM

cyprus
    September 12, 2016
    Magscar
    Can’t argue with those points. Still, sometimes at a game one can miss something somewhere. Those 20 or whatever cameras will catch it. And, behind the goal posts one can hardly figure depth.

Of course, nothing beats the real thing.

• Markaccus

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:18 PM

I still think arma will get his chance here. Murphy, although in a 2 year contract, is only going to play a part this season, so as ling as arma shows some class, then i’d expect him to get games.

• Markaccus