The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Benitez On Why He Wants To Do Really Well At Newcastle

9:51 am, Tuesday, September 13th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 87 Comments

Rafa Benitez pulled no punches yesterday in his praise for Alan Shearer as his new statue at St. James’ Park was unveiled in what was a really memorable day for both Alan and the club.

Rafa was full of praise for the Newcastle number 9 – one of the greatest players ever to wear the famous black and white stripes of Newcastle.

alan-shearer-in-fornt-of-statue

Alan Shearer in front of his statue yesterday

This is what Rafa said about Alan yesterday:

“Alan was an incredible player – the perfect number 9 – and he had a fantastic career representing this great club.”

“The statue is a perfect tribute to a true club legend.”  “I send Alan my very best wishes for a memorable day.”

During his press conference yesterday Rafa was asked about the Alan Shearer statue and this is how he addressed the subject:

“What I said about Alan Shearer was that I would like to see my players scoring as many goals as him.” (said with a smile).

“Yes, you want to do well and be remembered as an important figure in the history of the club.” “In this case, it is very simple how to do that – to get promoted.”

“If we are promoted, everybody will say: ‘Fantastic.’” “And after that, we want to achieve something more.”

“It doesn’t matter the team that you coach, you want to do these things.” “When you are competitive and have a winning mentality, you want to win.”

“But, because I have been in so many clubs now, when you have the feeling of getting something back from the fans, you want to do even more and achieve something.”

“That is the situation I had in Liverpool and I have it here.” “I would like to do really well because it is my nature, but also because the fans are so good.”

“I want to give them something back.”

Rafa has already said it’s important for him to be loved at a club, and maybe that was after some difficult times at huge clubs like Real Madrid and Inter-Milan.

rafa benitez liverpool

Rafa Benitez gives thumbs up to the fans

He did great at both Valencia and Liverpool – two clubs who have dedicated and working class fans – very much like at Newcastle.

He is already much-loved on Tyneside and he seems to relish in that.

We know he’s a workaholic who will be working so hard in the next few years to make Newcastle great again.

And he will be getting the support of the Geordie fans every single step of the way.

If Rafa can get us a trophy in the next few years  – and that’s possible, then Newcastle could be building a statue for Rafa Benitez too.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Alan Shearer · Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Statue · Trophies

87 responses so far ↓

• 1 mindshaft // Sep 13, 2016 at 9:54 AM

bizarre how anyone can slate KKs first stint at toon – we may not have won owt but we came the closest we’ve been and were lauded the world over for our exciting brand of football – best years of toon in my lifetime. Obviously the walkout wasn’t ideal and we went to shit with Daglish afterwards but those KK years will live with me forever
    the whole game was different on his return and I thought at the time it was probably a bad move, didn’t help with Wise and Ashley totally shafting him which was proven in court

• 2 mindshaft // Sep 13, 2016 at 9:56 AM

Rafa has the potential to become a legend at the toon – funny how the southern press have stopped saying toon fans only want a Geordie manager and hate anyone from elsewhere … tw@ts

• 3 Spoof // Sep 13, 2016 at 9:56 AM

Be careful Rafa, if you make us a better club than what we currently are some fans will criticise you, seriously they will, if you don’t believe look at the reaction to KK from some on the previous threads.

• 4 magscar // Sep 13, 2016 at 9:58 AM

On Keegan his first tenure here produced the best football in my time as a supporter.

OK I get why he left 2cnd time but couldn’t he have stayed and fought for the club and fans he loves?

First time he went ( unforced) was because his budget was cut because of the financial move to a Ltd Co and he wasn’t prepared to sell to buy.

Still have fond memories of him but no longer look through rose tinted glasses.

As Expat says he has walked from a no of situations when things don’t go his way.

• 5 Jib // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:01 AM

“First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure” – Mark Twain

Keegan v NUFC was never in court it was tribunal at FA HQ in Mayfair

• 6 stuart no9 // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:02 AM

Alan shearer . What a legend , however I wonder what his true thoughts are of that statue . Two things come to mind , first that’s not his stance when he scored , what’s the left arm doing ?? My Mrs says he looks like he’s doing a Scottish jig , and it looks nowt like him . Very say for a truely great player . If I was him I’d be saying – get it down how haha. Bless him

• 7 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:02 AM

Jail
    Jibs argument is daft, completely. Success sucks because it makes u want more…I mean come on whats the point of being a football fan if u only want mediocrity

• 8 stuart no9 // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:02 AM

*sad*

• 9 nut meg // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:02 AM

Keegan brought this great club of ours out of a coma!! He also brought AMBITION FOR THE FIST TIME EVER in all my 60 years of supporting NUFC.

• 10 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:07 AM

magscar
    Constructive dismissal mate…he didnt walk away he was pushed out as proven, I dont see how there is even an argument

Jib
    Whats ur point?

• 11 stuart no9 // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:08 AM

The only bad point about the KK time as manager was that we were that f@@king good I struggled to get a ticket most games and there was a 15000 waiting list for season tickets . The best and most exciting team in Europe bar none . Will those days return ??? I doubt it

• 12 mindshaft // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:11 AM

not sure why KK is suddenly getting a skating for pointing out what we ourselves have known for years – best years of supporting toon bar none

• 13 magscar // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:12 AM

WWSBRD

He could have stayed if he had the stomach for a fight or gone and not sued the club ( not Ashley paid the club did). Presumably realised game had moved on and he wouldn’t be able to settle as manager in modern game ( never worked as manager since) and needed the money. Did Curbishley sue Charlton when he left around same time and for similar reasons?

• 14 Jib // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:15 AM

I used to watch the Toon train in Durham loads while Keegan was boss.

They were a great side to follow in those days.

What I don’t like is the way Keegan is quite happy to take all the kudos – I don’t think I’ve heard him mention Arthur Cox once !

Terry Mac gets mocked as a cone shifter but when I was watching the team train at Durham it was Cox and McDermott who seemed to do most of the work especially TM one on one with the midfielders.

To my mind it was the great midfielders we had that made Keegans sides.

Keegan Midfielders
    Lee Clark – Rob Lee – David Ginola – Ruel Fox – Keith Gillespie – Scott Sellars – Paul Bracewell – Liam Obrien – Kevin Brock – David Batty – Robbie Elliot – Steve Watson (the last 2 would willingly play anywhere a bit like Anita today )

• 15 expatmag // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:15 AM

WW

I can understand why you and the majority love the bloke. Prinarily, he was a peoples man and probably a decent man manager.

However, as a coach, he left a lot to be desired when raking in the big picture. Atracking wise, he built a very good side but his major and obvious failure was he had little idea tactically how to set up defensively and that ultimately cost us winning the league.

He left Twice….unforced…..and both times because he threw his toys out of the pram for not getting his own way.

The club backed him in the transfer market during his first stint and that apparently was still not goid enough for him.

Whilst he won his constructive dismissal case against he club, I do know from very good sources that he wanted to bring Thierry Henry, Frank Lampard, Schweinsteigger to the club on ridiculous wages whoch clearly the club could not afford.

Furthrmore, it us interesting to see that since he left us in the lurch for the SECOND TIME in 2008, he hasnt had another job.

He certainly has an axe to grind with yhe club. I have seen him as a punter quite regularly on BEIN sports and often criticises the club even when unrelated to the game being covered.

In fact, he is becoming a bore

• 16 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:20 AM

magscar
    Stomach for the fight? He won his case for constructive dismissal (the changing of an employee’s job or working conditions with the aim of forcing their resignation). He sued the club in order to be allowed to tell us what had happened and what was going on at NUFC, thats not gutless

• 17 stuart no9 // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:25 AM

As for people skating keegan remember , if not for him we wouldn’t have this magnificent stadium we have now . It was in his time with everyone wanting to watch the toon then that they drew up plans to create the best stadium in Europe

• 18 BandB // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:28 AM

It’s amazing really that you can’t mention Keegan or Shearer in this place without civil war breaking out.
    His comments yesterday were very mild and on the side of the fans.
    Heresy, obviously.

• 19 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:30 AM

expat
    Keegans teams couldnt defend? By that u mean the massive 37 goals we conceeded in 95/96? We conceeded 2 more than the winning team and 5 more than the best defense in the league

As for him leaving Ashley forced him out of the club thats a proven fact now. As for rumoured players he was going to bring in…so what? It was his decision that Ashley had agreed to (also my word how upset we would of all been had those 3 rocked up under KK)

He has an axe to grind because the club under Ashley is disgusting that might be boring to u but we cant ignore the problems at the club because of it

• 20 Mister Tuff // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Keegan/Curbishley
    Curbishley/Keegan.
    What has Curbishley got to do wish KK.

Did Curbishley sue Charlton well erm – what for.

He resigned after 15years and did not want to extend his contract. So how can he sue anyone.

As a side note he later sued West Ham for constructive dismissal.

• 21 JP...from The Rock // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:35 AM

Rafa can get us to where KK took us I have no doubt. I even think he will do one better and get us a trophy. But that is ONLY if we get promoted this season and he still has full control of football matters.

• 22 jimmysmith // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:37 AM

I view Keegan as quite principled. He didn’t like the idea of the club becoming a plc, because he felt it was a corporate decision not a footballing one and would limit the assets he could put on the pitch and so walked. The second time he had his wings clipped in regards to his authority over what might be spent on whom and when, and was given little option but to walk again. Both decent decisions from a fans perspective surely. We weren’t going to have a better side as the result of the clubs actions, and he felt he couldn’t change that or accept it.

• 23 Mister Tuff // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:38 AM

Mind there is some utter tosh spouted on here.
    Earlier we heard that a moustacheless beard suggests someone is going to a Middle Eastern Muslim country.

Generalisation in its’ most rampant and disturbing form.

Is the man in the below image preparing for a trip to the Middle East – could his beard give us a clue.

• 24 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:40 AM

I think it’s a real pity that Keegan came back for that second stint. He wasn’t a good choice for a number of reasons and so it played out. If his legacy was based solely on his first spell I think it would seem much clearer, and probably more fitting.

• 25 Jib // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:51 AM

Keegan was weak
    Rafa is a much stronger person

• 26 DubaiMicky // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:57 AM

@ Froggy #24. I agree.

• 27 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Jib
    Keegan was strong enough to walk away from the club he loves to do what was right

Rafa would do the same if Ashley changes his mind and takes his power away when we are back in the PL

• 28 TyneMouth // Sep 13, 2016 at 11:00 AM

Jfa
    Confirmation Rafa Bingo.
    (hope it’s not too late!)

Sels.
    Anita. Clark. Lascelles. Dummett.
    Heyden. Shelvey.
    Yelin. Perez. Ritchie.
    Mitrovic.

VIVA BENITEZ!…

• 29 martoon // Sep 13, 2016 at 11:12 AM

Putting aside the arguments I still think it was poor that the Shearer statue has had to be placed on council owned land and not actually in the confines of the club. Also I think the reception afterwards was not at the club – I think there were 1 or 2 officials from NUFC present but really it was a poor effort and highlights the rift between Shearer and the club!

• 30 hibbit // Sep 13, 2016 at 11:17 AM

jib
    for your information a tribunal is a court of law !!
    maybe you should get your facts right

• 31 Rotonda heights // Sep 13, 2016 at 11:19 AM

Really bizarre and stupider comments than usual
    by the blog’s prize div on here re – KK.

AP, JC and SM were totally spineless non – entities who wouldn’t stand up to Ashley. Do you think Rafa would stay for one moment if presented with Ash’s original blueprint.

KK left first time because the board reneged on him buying a player that would probably have made all the difference between finishing as champions or runners-up.

Second time he had Wise put in charge of him.
    No one with any morality and self respect would stand for that.

KK is a phenomenal legend and gave me the happiest years of my life watching NUFC. If the blog’s prize k–b hadn’t already confirmed what a complete know nowt, pretentious t—er he is, he’s slam dunked it now.

• 32 cyprus // Sep 13, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Someone criticised KK?!

I guess it’s accepted (we ‘only’ finshed second, we choked) but to me he deserved a statue well before Big Al, only he isn’t a Geordie. He’s up there with the Sir, but he did MORE for NUFC, even than him.

• 33 Ian Toon // Sep 13, 2016 at 11:29 AM

WW – Paul Joannou the club historian gives a more factual than emotional interpretation of The Keegan Years. Jib’s comment though harsh was apposite of someone who as a manager frequently bottled it when under pressure. Players often need a pragmatic approach the lack of which saw him fail as an England manager and without the will to battle, survive short term difficulties and dig in. He was repeatedly more concerned about self image. Terry Mac by all accounts was the complete opposite and a very influential figure in the selection of players to be bought to stabilise life in the PL.

Keegan was always more flamboyant in his thinking and approach. I have not personally met him but I am told that he’s still a more style than substance figure whereas Benitez has always had a more grounded approach. At some stage in what I hope will be a successful season the adulation swingometer will move more towards players.

I was someone who had just started school when the entertainers became the best thing in toon. They were the best times I have experienced As a fan and without re writing history.

• 34 Jib // Sep 13, 2016 at 11:30 AM

This is what Keegan couldn’t handle
    After blowing such a lead he tendered his resignation at seasons end and it was Douglas Hall who talked him into staying.
    He was haunted by it and was always going to walk which he did the following January
    If the board had had the balls to accept his resignation in May and made a real effort to get SBR from Porto rather than Barcelona , we would have had Robson 3 years earlier taking over a side that finished second and as Jail said yesterday , history would have been so different.

• 35 jakesome // Sep 13, 2016 at 11:35 AM

The QPR match isn’t on TV tonight is it?

• 36 hibbit // Sep 13, 2016 at 11:35 AM

KK is what he is
    love him or hate him there’s no denying it was by far the best football played by us in my lifetime

• 37 BandB // Sep 13, 2016 at 11:36 AM

It’s strange that two people so determined to rubbish the Keegan era were also the two noisiest champions of the godawful Steve McClaren.
    Makes you wonder, doesn’t it?
    When I asked Jib if McClaren should see out his contract even if he took us to relegation, his answer was “so be it.”
    Along with his assertion that KK was the “worst thing that ever happened to the club”, Jib and Ian have some ideas I’ve simply never heard another fan express.

• 38 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2016 at 11:36 AM

Ian
    …huh? I am aware of Keegans poor points however to claim he was weak because he was constructively dismissed is backed up because he wasnt grounded like Rafa?

• 39 hibbit // Sep 13, 2016 at 11:43 AM

BandB

simply answer to that the pair spout utter bullshit

• 40 Mister Tuff // Sep 13, 2016 at 11:45 AM

More of KK slagging off the club.

Keegan was back on Tyneside to see his top signing Alan Shearer unveil his statue outside St James’ Park.
    A statue of Alan Shearer outside St James’ Park

He said: “Newcastle should be in the Premier League. They’re not in there at the moment, but they will be this time next year.

“I wish Rafa all the luck in the world.

“You’ll never lose what these people feel about this football club. They might not like certain things at certain times, but they’ll still be there. They’ll always be there.”

Oh well maybe not – does look like he’s backing the club and Rafa. Others will not see it that way though.

• 41 Jib // Sep 13, 2016 at 11:45 AM

B and B
    You’ll have to stop taking English comprehension lessons of Mr Tuff.

Neither Ian nor have slagged off the ERA (we actually paid good mony to go and watch them – unlike yourself )

We both think the genius at the helm was flawed with feet of clay.

I also said KK was the worst thing that happened for some fans (not the club – that was Gordon Lee) who started supporting us when we were on a high note so were virtually guaranteed dissappointment.

• 42 BandB // Sep 13, 2016 at 11:48 AM

hobbit,

Should Rafa lead us to promotion, but then fall out with the regime over future targets, you can bet your life these two will be on from dawn ’til dusk writing him off as a no-mark.

• 43 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Keegan wears his heart on his sleeve, he walks when things are not going to be done the way he wants them to be. Sometimes a little too quickly, but both times when he walked from us, he was bang on imo. He was a fantastic atracking manager, limited in defensive tactics. Brought NUFC the closest to winning the title we have ever been in my life time. Over analysing things to find why he was bad for NUFC, or the worst thing ever(!?!?!?!?!) to happen to NUFC, is unnecesarily negative towards a man who simply wanted to win things his way, and almost pulled it off. Thank you, KK, for that and for always being on the fans side!

• 44 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2016 at 11:49 AM

Jib
    The ERA was because of Keegan he forced it they cant be separated

• 45 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Tuff

Yeah how COULD he say such nasty things about us!?

• 46 Ian Toon // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:05 PM

I wasn’t suggesting he was weak for the reason you state. Clearly as far as an industrial tribunal , Ashley was at fault. That doesn’t change the view that he took the soft option.

We learnt far more about Keegan when things were not going well. He needed to look for resolution and pragmatism rather than conflict.
    Countless times he thought little of what he was leaving behind and hence the weak option.

Keegan made little effort to approach a number of situations rationally – he was far too ego driven. He was spoilt as a player and thought he could behave in the same manner and always get his own way.
    Hence the grounded Benitez comment – I certainly hope so otherwise it won’t be long before Rudd/ Ciaron/ Kieron has his tanks on the blog lawn.

• 47 Tsunki // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:08 PM

I’ve not posted for a while, deliberately, so I could absorb the goings on this last week in the blog. An overview of the weeks proceedings is that the usual mischief makers season their usual ire-inducing trouble causing waffle with occasional football-related comment, links and the odd meaningless mirror-gazing diatribe. it’s really off putting to me and I suspect many others, including those thinking about getting involved in blog life. It all looks pretty intimidating when you step back, one Pontificate, the other picks holes and points out minor mistakes, I couple of others chime in with support.

Today’s hot topic – the Alan Shearer statue, and the sound bites of Messrs Benitez and Keegan. But it’s not long before the incredible semantics about the wishy-washy nature of Keegan the Quitter resurface. it’s designed to irritate isn’t it?

Here’s another Mark Twain quote –

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.”

• 48 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Jib@41. That’s a good point. You shouldn’t be at the helm if your feet are made of clay. With the water splashing in, and all.

• 49 Ian Toon // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:15 PM

BandB@42- Your mate Ruddy left a flagged message to me a few days ago suggesting I needed to look at the bigger picture.

Simply put and veiled “promotion is a foregone conclusion by a country mile. Ashley thereafter needs to spend, spend to meet Benitez requirements for us to be a force in the PL- or were back looking to get Ashley out”

Do you share this view?

• 50 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:16 PM

Although if it’s fired clay, like bricks or pottery, that would be ok I think.

• 51 Tsunki // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:16 PM

Frankly it’s not surprising to see someone who displayed the courage of his convictions being hammered by those who unequivocally backed successive spineless stooge coaches to the pit of relegation. Hypocritical or what?

• 52 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:17 PM

Ian
    The soft option was to leave and say nothing

• 53 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:19 PM

In fact the softer option was to stay and be the puppet Ashley wanted

• 54 Ian Toon // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:20 PM

WW- Keegan loved fan adulation!!!!!!

• 55 BandB // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:21 PM

If you want to ask me that question again Ian, without the adolescent hook linking me to Ruddy which you expect me to bite on, then I’ll answer.
    The slug trail of fatuous attempts at alliance building isn’t left by me, dear.

• 56 Tsunki // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:21 PM

The reality is every Manager in football is bestowed with feet of clay as part of the job remit. He either has them swept from under him, or he chooses wisely how and when to succumb. Give me the latter every time, if keegan was blufging Ashley and his lackeys into giving him support at least he tried. We’ve had a lot of shilling-takers since then and they haven’t done any good have they?

• 57 Ian Toon // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:23 PM

WW – From my limited experience you stay and work from the inside to improve your standing and influence.
    I have to go- He couldn’t stand the thought of failure ( the game had and was changing) so he looked for a way out which would be remunerative – allegedly he had mounting debts to meet.

• 58 lesh // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:25 PM

Keegan commented on the Club being a big one but sometimes not acting like one and surely that was a swipe at it for deeming Shearer and his statue in St James’s Park – pettiness without recognising his contribution to Newcastle United. Shearer was there and part of the Club legend before Ashley rocked up.

Ashley’s position on Shearer and Keegan is petty for a Club that should be above such behaviour.

• 59 martoon // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:26 PM

On the subject of a different manager this will make some on here smile.

• 60 expatmag // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:26 PM

TSUNKI

I dont normally agree with Iantoon and Job but in this case with Keefan, they are not far off the mark.

Keegan was indeed ego driven right throughout his career and threw his toys out of the pram on numerous occasions when he didnt get his way.

As a manager, he was good. As a coach, he was tactically inept. This was shown time and time again.

Rafa is ten times yhe coach Keegan was and hopefully we will benefit in the years to come and win a trophy or two……..something Keegan was unable to do at Newcastle or anywhere rlse for that matter

• 61 Ian Toon // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:27 PM

BandB- I withdraw the link and fatuous line . Jail has recently told Betty he and Rudd are good drinking mates.

Benitez I imagine would be given a budget in suggested circumstances.

Hope to catch your response later.

• 62 Tsunki // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:27 PM

And you know what? No matter what skewed, badly informed and crappy view each one puts forward, they without fail back each other up. it’s a wind up. A serial troll.

• 63 Ian Toon // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Expat- please don’t agree with me- please!!!

• 64 BandB // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:30 PM

Yes Ian,

And you were only recently evoking the image of me “calling out the whole sorry lot of them” when it suited you to do so.
    You can’t have it both ways.
    I have never been in a position where I could sit round in pubs at meetings convened to grumble about Ashley, even if I was so inclined.

• 65 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:31 PM

0-3 win tonight. Difficult to predict scorers but confident that we are going to be too much.

HWTL

• 66 lesh // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:34 PM

Martoon

Don’t knock McLaren, he might well end up a MD of….. err, Newcastle United – or better still, our friends down the road.

• 67 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Expatmag
    Keegan throwing his toys out the pram.
    I he wasn’t a happy bunny when Supermac was playing for England and when he scored five against Cyprus, wouldn’t pass to him and was rumoured that he did not get on with Supermac

Anyone like me think that Shearer’s statue is a in a bit of a daft place – the old bogs on barrack road facing away from the ground.

If they were going to put it their wouldn’t it of been better knocking the back wall down and landscaping around the area so people could access it from the St James’s Park car park stand area.

And maybe turning the statue around so it pointed South towards the fans as they walk up to the ground???

• 68 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Ian
    Stay worked well for Pardews power didn’t it? Keegan is no fool

Also Keegan being liked by fans is s bad thing?

• 69 lesh // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Lunch time and the arguments’ve been going for hours. Maybe a group hug might help help posters enjoy their day.

• 70 Jib // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Tsunki
    My view is not skewed nor crappy.
    It is just different from yours is all.
    You would do well not to see conspiracies every time two people hold an opinion you do not agree with.

• 71 BandB // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:38 PM

• 72 BandB // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Lesh

• 73 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Lesh I’m in 🙂

• 74 BandB // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:38 PM

Is your phone sorted out now?

• 75 Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:40 PM

Keegan is weak? I bet KK wishes he had the knowledge on Ashley that Rafa did when he sat down and discussed being the manager, had he have had the benefit of knowing g that Ashley was a lying crook with no intention of carrying out his agreement then maybe KK could have hired a team of lawyers like Rafa did to put a contract together.
    As for people saying KK was the wrong choice the second time round, who was the right choice, a snivelling yes man that could have delivered our pointless existence two years earlier at a more cost effective way for Mikey.

• 76 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Why are we arguing about something that happened in the past? What’s done was done. Just move on, also, I have no clue what’s going on cause I wasn’t really supporting Newcastle when this happened. So I don’t really have a place to join in. 🙁

• 77 martoon // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:44 PM

lesh @66 – Good idea he can practice on them down the road when they are in the Championship 🙂
    Charlie @67 – Like I said earlier the club have been very petty about this and so they have had to put it there because it is council owned land.

• 78 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:45 PM

lesh
    Not while people are slagging off a club legend

• 79 Tsunki // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Expat mag – what I am saying is in the pantheon of recent managers, whatever view you have on Keegan strengths and weaknesses does not matter one bit. The FACT! is that KK brought us a memorable era with a great team.

• 80 Tsunki // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:49 PM

Unless of course you subscribe to the idea that if Pardew or McLaren had been given his support….

😀 😀 😀 my sides..

• 81 BandB // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:53 PM

Ian

Since you have put the question in a straight way….

The answer is that I will cross that bridge when we come to it.

I, as you claim to do, just want a quiet life focussing on the here and now and enjoying a season where we are more likely to go up than down.

• 82 anthc // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:56 PM

Off subject but did anyone else think jermaine defoe looked like a right twat with his little man knot?

These footballers and their stupid haircuts crack me up everytime I see them. Jermaine defoe, take a bow, you look like a cnut!

• 83 Mister Tuff // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:57 PM

WHAT A CORKER.

The blog never disappoints for a good laugh.

“Ian Toon // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:20 PM
    WW- Keegan loved fan adulation!!!!!!”

Bit like yourself – you’ve got your trusted lieutenant -Jib Jibberish (blog pest) and the fool from the valleys as your cheerleaders giving it large when you spout your drivel and claptrap.

Allow others who experienced the Keegan years personally to comment about him and the club.
    Were you still in nappies and short pants during his periods of manager.

• 84 Tsunki // Sep 13, 2016 at 12:58 PM

Jib you are a weasel of that there’s no doubt – there are plenty of people here that agree with each other, it’s the ones who unfailingly back each other up in their stupidity that glares. You know something else? I used to watch the lads train at Maiden Castle a few times, when my nephews were young ‘uns, and for the life of me I can’t remember seeing a Fake-tanned serial bulls****er wearing a mortar board there.

• 85 Jib // Sep 13, 2016 at 1:03 PM

Hasselbaink plays 4-2-3-1 as well.

Sels
    Gamez Lascelles Hanley Dummett
    Anita Hayden
    Ritchie Diamé Yedlin
    Mitrovic

There is live comentary on BBC5live in the UK
    Or with Fat Mick on here

• 86 davis_toons // Sep 13, 2016 at 1:07 PM

Kelvin Keegan a true Newcastle manager.

• 87 davis_toons // Sep 13, 2016 at 1:36 PM

Sorry for the wrong spelling.

Kevin Keegan my most flamboyant attacking manager of lifetime.

The Only Special One of the 80’s.

previous post: Rafa Explains What He’s Trying To Do For This Season