Forgotten Man Returns To Newcastle

It was really good to see Sadio Haidara make his first appearance for a Newcastle side in almost 10 months yesterday as he played for the U-23 side in their 1-1 draw against Stoke City at Whitley Park.

The 23 year-old Frenchman hadn’t played since the 6-2 win over Norwich City at St. James’ Park back on Sunday, 18th October 2015, after suffering meniscus injuries in his knee.

He tried to make a come back in March/April but he broke down and has only now returned to fitness.

Dated:

Massadio Haidara in action yesterday

After the game Sadio has this to say on the Newcastle web-site:

“It wasn’t easy. It was a tough game. The duel was good, and I think it’s what I needed to test myself.”

“It was all right, and I think the team played well. I think we deserved more, but one point is better than nothing.”

“I wanted to say thank you to the lads for letting me play and for helping me with my fitness too.” This has been very good for me.”

“It’s been a long, long time. My last game was in October last year, so I’m really happy.” “I just played 45 minutes and I felt good.”  “We got a point too, so I was very happy.”

“It’s been a lot of hard work for eight months. I worked hard, and now I’m just enjoying playing.”  “I’ll take it step by step until I’m fit for the first team.”

“I felt all right. I could have done more, but with the staff we decided I would only play 45 minutes.”

“This was good, and I hope next time I will play more. It’s just about building it up – I don’t want to go too quick, so I just played 45 minutes and next time I will play more.”

“You don’t feel strange, but you have to do everything like before. It was OK – I wasn’t too lost, just maybe in the first ten minutes I was a little bit tired but after that, I was fine.”

Since Sadio was injured last year new manager Rafa Benitez has strengthened the squad significantly and now we have Paul Dummett, Achraf Lazaar, Ciaran Clark and Jesus Gamez who can all play at left back, so that’s a lot of competition for Sadio.

But Rafa can also make the Frenchman into a better player, but the main thing with Sadio is to keep him fit.

Since signing on from Nancy in January 2013 for £2M he has only played 48 times for the first team, mainly because he’s picked up so many injuries.

Sadio signed a five and a half year deal at Newcastle, so he still has this season and next to impress and get his career back on track.

We hope he can do that.

• hibbit

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:05 AM

not a big fan but very happy to see him playing again still some way off the first team but wish him all the very best on his road to a full recovery

• expatmag

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:08 AM

On the last thread regarding Keegan comments about the way the club is run, he may HAVE been right in ONE instance but he would be wise to keep his big mouth shut particukarly when he walked out of the club…….TWICE

• Jib

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:12 AM

Expat
    hear hear

• DubaiMicky

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:17 AM

Anyone got any links for tonight’s game?

• Spoof

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:17 AM

On both occasions he had every right to walk out as non footballing owners and chairmen were interfering, and rather than accept what they were doing he had enough balls to walk and let them face the music, at the minute everything is going well for Rafa, but if he gets the same as what KK got then I would expect Rafa to walk as well.

Some managers are puppets on a string, some have pride .

• WWSBRD

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:17 AM

expat
    Keep his mouth shut? Why?

And he didnt walk out on the club twice

NUFC wouldnt be what it is without Keegan and he loves this club as any fan does

• Spoof

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:20 AM

DubaiMicky

Ask again at about 5 minutes before kick off and you may get an answer, however I would expect that answer to be a no.

• expatmag

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Ww

At every opportunity, Keegan brings it up. To be honest, the u veiling if Shearers statue wasnt the time or the place to bring it up yet again.

He didnt just walk out on us twice. Fulham and England spring to mind.

• DubaiMicky

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:37 AM

@WWSBRD The fact he sued the club says everything about the guy, first time he couldn’t take the pressure (also in the England job), second time, he couldn’t take the pressure of not being in total control. Then he sued.

And what did he achieve for us, yes the football was good but to ensure we won the game we had to score 4 goals!

Show me the silverware.