Rafa’s Brilliant Answer On How He Deals With High Expectations

Rafa has to handle very high expectations at Newcastle United.

He is a world-class manager and yet he’s currently managing a team that’s only in England second division – the Championship.

But Rafa has explained that he joined his local club Real Madrid when he was just 13 years old and then he became a coach at the club for 10 years – so he was schooled to have the very highest of expectations.

rafa-benitez-smiling-training

Rafa Benitez – easily deals with expectations at Newcastle
After 20 years at Real Madrid

Rafa was immersed in the Real Madrid culture that if you didn’t finish top of the league and kept winning games  you were not successful – that’s certainly true at the biggest club in the world.

Finishing second in anything is not what Real Madrid would ever call being successful.

So this is how Rafa responded today when asked how he dealt with the very high expectations at Newcastle United:

“When I was 13 years old I started playing for the Real Madrid academy.” “So to finish second was nothing.”

“You had to finish first, first, first every year.” “After I was then a coach there for 10 years.” “It was 20 years growing up with this mentality – that you have to win and finish first.”

“What I have seen after winning some games in a row here is that everyone thinks the job is done, but it certainly is not done.”

“We have to keep sending the right message and the message is we have done nothing yet.” “We need to keep working hard and keep focused for every game.”

“We know that you can lose at any time.” “The other day I was watching Aston Villa; they were losing, winning and then they ended up drawing.”

“Everything can change in one minute.”

“The Championship is so difficult and you have to be sure you keep your players on their toes until the end of the season.”

That’s just a great answer from Rafa Benitez and it puts what Newcastle are trying to do into a little bit of perspective compared to the top club in world football, Real Madrid, who Rafa was managing a year ago.

But we’d still be delighted if we get promoted this season.

🙂

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Love this man!!!!

Not in that way… (you guys… :/)

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:27 PM

Ah, I think I get what you mean BandB. So you’re saying that this side to me wasn’t unexpected? In which case your original comment about me being able to take a joke was sarcastic? Fair play…

• WWSBRD

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Brilliant view for a manager which is exactly why I think we will walk this league

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:29 PM

Exactly WWSBRD. Such a great manager.

• LGFUAD21

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:29 PM

Could be another tough one tonight.

My line up.

Sels
    Anita – Mbemba – Lascelles – Dummet
    Yedlin – Shelvey – Hayden – Atsu—–
    – – – – – – – – – – -Diame – – – – – – – – – – –
    ——————-Mitro———————–

Players did look a bit tired after Derby so I think its worth resting the runners and giving others their chance. I think we will need Mitro to hold the ball up and there were times where we missed that against Derby.

The result obvious took the headline but I wouldnt have said it was a great performance from either side. Gouffy got a great goal and that allowed us to coast a bit and then we obviously had to shut up shop second half. My concern is that, take away that stroke of brilliance from Gouffy and we could have really struggled.

Particularly the second half we really needed someone to just provide a release.

• expatmag

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:31 PM

WW

So did Chris Hughton…….I dont hear snyone shouting his name from the rooftops

You know what I mean.

• BandB

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:31 PM

No, not sarcastic at all YMFB.

I’d like you to enjoy posting.

The thing posting on here is not to get hacked off if people ignore your posts. Most people are talking, not listening.

If someone has a go at you, either hit them back yourself if you have a comeback, or stick your nose in the air and walk away.

The worst thing to do is to start looking for allies among your enemy’s enemies. Its a lose/lose situation.

• WWSBRD

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:34 PM

expat
    Hoots and Keegan did very differnt things at Newcastle

Ur point was Keegan won nothing at Newcastle, well he got us promoted as Champions thats winning something

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:35 PM

BandB

Sure, I understand that. From now on if I’m depressed at something I’m just not going to bother coming on this blog. It’s not fair on you guys.

The problem is that the gangs on here get out of hand sometimes. Like when I personally agree with a comment from let’s say jib for example, I feel reluctant to say anything, or to discuss because that makes me look bad on here. I don’t know, it seems childish that’s all. But yes!! Enjoying posting keeps me on here.

• WWSBRD

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:35 PM

Also Hoots is remembered very fondly by town fans, name was chanted against Brighton

• Tsunki

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:36 PM

Wow. I’d rather have the nothing that Keegan served up than the nothing that McLaren, Pardew, Allardyce, Souness…

• BandB

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:36 PM

And he got us into the Champion’s League, Yo.
    And that is definitely winning something, I’m led to believe.

• expatmag

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:37 PM

WW

With the resources he was given that season, it would have been a bloody disgrace if he hadnt won it.

Anyway, you know exactly what I mean. Under Keegan, we threw away a 12 point lead in the PL and had no significant cup runs in either europe or at home.

• Tsunki

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:38 PM

SBR what a waste of space. Won nowt.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:39 PM

When I were at Palace it were always tenth tenth tenth, so when we ‘it forty points, we could all relax.

• expatmag

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:39 PM

WW

So, what you are saying is that you prefer to remember a 5-0 beating if Manchester United (as an example) 20 years ago rather than winning a trophy since then?

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:43 PM

• BandB

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:44 PM

You and Jib, YMFB.

It’s a thing of beautiful deftness.

• WWSBRD

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:45 PM

expat
    Those resources were what Keegan fought for and earned by ‘spitting his dummy out’ as he did through out his managerial career with us because he had a plan for the club and he did it, he made a division 1 team into a world wide brand challenging for the top title

I would love for Newcastle to win a trophy, fans of every team in the world want that, but u need quality and luck. Keegan got us the quality and tried damn hard on the luck but it didnt happen, that doesnt make him a throw away manager

The man is a club legend and earned that right

• WWSBRD

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:46 PM

BandB
    Clearly its not worthy of praise, I mean he didnt win the CL did he

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:47 PM

Confused BandB.

• BandB

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Yo

I could swear Mr Ashley said qualifying for the Champions League “counted as winning something.’
    And if Mr Ashley says……….

• BandB

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:51 PM

As you said YMFB, I gave you a straightforward pat of the back for a bit of good craic.
    I’m happy not to fan it into something else.

• WWSBRD

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:53 PM

BandB
    Aye something along the lines of ur not getting rid of me until we win something or get into the CL so someone will pay my laughable price tag…least thats what I heard

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:55 PM

Ok BandB, gotcha. Agreed!

• BandB

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Yo

He said: “getting into the Champions’ League. That counts as winning something” in his pre-West Ham interview with Sky.

• expatmag

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:01 PM

WW

I take your point but you need to understand mine.

Keegan was backed by the club in the purchase of PL players such as Brezford Sellars Venison Beacewell Sheedy etc to get us out of the division and into the PL.

Once there, he was further supported by the signings of Fox Peacock etc and later, Ferdinand Shearer Ginola etc.

I am.not saying he didnt build an attractive attacking side. He did. And they were everyones favourite second team.

But he failed to address the key issues of the defence ehilst not the worst, they were nowhere near the best.

I am also critical of his ability tactically which is supported by the fact that we lost key games we should have won because he had no idea how to close down and shut out the opposition.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:08 PM

So do you need to rubbish what he done here because he wasn’t tactically the best manager around here expat.

• lochinvar

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:09 PM

Will Bayley who won Gold in the Para- Olympics Table Tennis was Yellow carded by the ref who he then hugged !
    Great result for the lad and great viewing but I mean a Yellow Card in Table Tennis ?
    He’s lucky some of the Premier League refs would have given him a straight red. ?

• expatmag

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:14 PM

JFA

I am not rubbishing him at all. He did some great work but he should have continued the job instead of running away when he didnt get his own way.

His second stint us best forgotten. He should never have come back.

• WWSBRD

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:21 PM

expat
    Keegan was backed because he made sure he would be, he wasnt gifted it. He also convinced those players to join us

We finished 2nd 4 points behind 1st, 7 points ahead of 3rd and 15 ahead of the best defence in the league. Man Utd did bloody well to pip us to the title but Keegan didnt throw it away

Also none of this means that the club legend should shut his mouth (where this whole disagreement stems from) about going ons under Ashley and the disgraceful way he has treated our club

Keegan should be in a position of power at NUFC, should be sat in the director of football seat if u ask me

• Tsunki

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Expat sorry mate but I think you’ve got into a hole with this. Kk’s first stint was a fondly remembered brave stab which didn’t come off but not for the lack of effort. His second imho was ruined by the shambles Ashley had installed to manage the clubs affairs. Ashley could have had his Damascus moment back then but no he laboured with his “boards” through a succession of grimly – determined hangers-on until he saw the light of relegation a second time. You seem to reserve some contempt for Keegan despite the status he gave this club. I don’t.

• Jib

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:29 PM

Lovely evening for footy in W12

• WWSBRD

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM

Maybe Keegan shouldnt of come back but he didnt hire himself and he didnt lie to himself about what powers he had

• Jib

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:37 PM

Tsunki
    Why if people disagree with you – have they got themselves in a hole ?
    The Keegan time produced some great moments – but at a time when some steel was needed to move on from great disappointment he bottled it.
    I think he let the Geordie nation down.
    The majority prefer to think of the great stuff he produced and not to dwell on what was missed – so be it.

• expatmag

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:38 PM

WW/TSUNKI

I dont reserve any contempt for him other than I find it unnecessary for him to constantly criticise the club, whether justified or not. It is not particularly helpful.

I also think this vonstant hero worship of him is very much kver the top.

Like it or not, he was given he resources and backed to the hilt but he failed…..and then ran away……that is not contemptous but factual and I lost a great deal if respect for him over that.

Still, his time has gone and now we turn to Rafa to get us back where we belong and hopefully a trophy or two in future to help those to finally remember something more worthwhile than a 5-0 defeat of Man Utd 20 years ago.

With that, I am off to bed lads. Heres to victory tonight

• nut meg

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:41 PM

Whatever views people have about Keegan I am pleased we had him here to give us what can only be described as a roller coast of a ride…never to be forgotten.

• Tsunki

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:42 PM

Jib, not because he disagrees with me. But because he is painting a rather blacker picture of KK’s tenure than seems to be warranted. I think Expat is overstating what most people accept about him but to a point where he seems to be unappreciated for what he did do. The faults are overly magnified.

You just lay into KK because you are a controversialist.

• BandB

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:44 PM

I suppose three people who have been written out of the official club history couldn’t really expect to turn up and plonk a statue of one of them near the stadium without attracting a certain amount of outrage.

• WWSBRD

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:46 PM

Jib
    Geordie nation? Where u from again?
    As for Keegan letting Newcastle down Ive rarely heard such guff in my life so well done on that

expat
    Hes a pundit, its his job and his passion to talk about Newcastle and he knows more about what goes on behind the scenes than anyone on here. I am happy to hear the truth about NUFC rather than sticking my head in the sand but each to their own

He is a NUFC hero without doubt. Keegan is the one who made us think we deserved to be up there ‘where we belong’ rather than accepting Ashleys mediocrity

But ur entitled to ur opinion