The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Signs That Benitez Starting To Get The Best Out Of Midfield Star

3:18 pm, Tuesday, September 13th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 96 Comments

Jonjo Shelvey burst onto the scene at Charlton when he made his first-team debut in April of 2008, starting in a 3–0 away loss against Barnsley in the Championship.

Alan Pardew was the manager at Charlton at the time and Jonjo became their youngest-ever player at the tender age of 16 years and 59 days.

jonjo shelvey rafa benitez training

Jonjo Shelvey and Rafa Benitez

And ever since then nobody has really doubted the ability of the Romford born player just that he is inconsistent and his temperament sometimes gets in the way.

Since Rafa came to the club in March, Jonjo had had an up and down time of it, but maybe Rafa’s words and coaching are starting to have an impact on the 24 year-old.

Jonjo lost weight in the summer and hired a private trainer and came back for pre-season training fitter than he’s been in a  long time – so that shows his determination.

And he’s had two good games in his last two starts for Newcastle – one at home against Brighton and then on the road last Saturday at Derby – both 2-0 wins for Newcastle.

Of course we cannot get too far ahead of ourselves and yes – it’s only two games.

But Rafa has talked recently about Jonjo and that he now seems to be learning about himself and his play and is starting to improve:

“I think he knows his strengths and also his problems. He’s working on that and improving.”

“I think he worked very hard during the summer to try to be fit. At the beginning of the season you could see that in the training sessions.

“Then he had more confidence. He is playing better and his first goal was massive for him too.

“There’s a lot of positives, little by little he is learning things about his game and that is positive about his future too.”

Jonjo can become an excellent player for Newcastle under Rafa Benitez and he can also help us get promoted this season with his creative displays – and certainly that goal against Brighton was something to behold.

This is a great opportunity for Jonjo to become a big star at Newcastle.

How Will Newcastle Fare At QPR?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Jonjo Shelvey · Management · Newcastle News

96 responses so far ↓

• 1 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 3:24 PM

Who the hell is “sobadithurts”??
    A random, rarely seen poster who felt the need to come on and have an unwarrented pop at another poster, for apparently no reason whatsoever!? Just fcuk off with that sh1te, man, you fcuking tool. Totally uncalled for. D1ck

• 2 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 3:24 PM

And breath…….

• 3 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 3:26 PM

On Shelvey.
    The lad is starting to show more than just the odd hollywood pass, now. He is lasting aro7nd 75-80 mins and looking good in MF. Keep it up, Voldamort.

• 4 Jib // Sep 13, 2016 at 3:27 PM

Mark
    It happens to me all the time
    btw did you get my link to the lady on the bus ?

• 5 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 13, 2016 at 3:28 PM

So who thought it would be a good idea to make an account that focuses all there attention on me with insults? Maybe I deserve it but c’mon, didn’t realise there were other young’uns on here…

Sobadithurts how on earth am I creepy? I actually live with my dad since my parents split up when I was 3. But I’m only 18 and I pay board money anyway. Don’t you dare bring up my mum either, the way she has been talking to me recently including how she said ‘I’ll be happy when I die because of the pain’ since she has health problems, really offends me. Going through a tough time at the moment and I don’t need you being rude. I’ll be back on later before I say something offensive.

• 6 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 3:28 PM

Jib.

No I havn’t. Any help is appreciated.

• 7 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2016 at 3:29 PM

Jib
    Interesting…though I didnt ask where u went to school through ur life bit weird u gave me that information rather than just saying Benwell
    No one I have ever met in Newcastle would say Geordie nation but again each to their own

Ur still completely wrong about Keegan btw thats never going to change

• 8 nut meg // Sep 13, 2016 at 3:29 PM

Markaccus
    Have you managed to track down the lady who helped your son yet?

• 9 Jib // Sep 13, 2016 at 3:30 PM

The day it happened – or at least th day when you told us about it I posted a link

• 10 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 3:30 PM

Nut meg

Not yet. Waiting for ITV website team to call. They want to help now.

• 11 Jib // Sep 13, 2016 at 3:31 PM

Why would I say Benwell ?

• 12 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 3:31 PM

Jib

Ah right. I got distracted not long after I posted. I’ll go back and find it, thanks.

• 13 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2016 at 3:33 PM

Why would u say 3 schools rather than saying where ur from?

• 14 nut meg // Sep 13, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Markaccus
    How’s your boy doing?

• 15 Jib // Sep 13, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Mark
    I posted this

for some reason (probably cos I was pissed on Friday night) I thought the lady had been named.

• 16 Jib // Sep 13, 2016 at 3:49 PM

I said 2 schools and their locations
    Tynemouth Grammar Tech became Preston High school not that weird unless you are a conspiracy theorist

• 17 Tsunki // Sep 13, 2016 at 3:52 PM

Jib it happens to you all the time? He said unwarranted. You must have missed it 🙂

• 18 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2016 at 3:55 PM

Haha ok Jib ur right often when asked where I am from I name my school history, certainly not an odd thing to do. Though it certainly confused those Floridians last time it happened

• 19 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2016 at 3:59 PM

Haha conspiracy though am not trying to be Sherlock Holmes but saying Geordie nation in my experience is a odd thing to do then replying with schools rather than a location when asked where ur from is weird

…admittedly the Benwell think was a touch of fun because well quite a lot of people believe ur Jeff from Benwell

• 20 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 4:01 PM

Jib

Ah right. Yeah my ex wife got interviewed for that story, we have shared it all over facebook but no luck yet. Thanks anyway.

Nut meg

Strangely, he seems well, now. There is no explanation as to why it happened. He already needs a lung transplant, and there was also no explanation as to why his lungs went to pot. They took some samples before the discharged him, to test for mitochondrial disease, which would at least provide answers.

• 21 nut meg // Sep 13, 2016 at 4:12 PM

Markaccus
    I hope everything works out for him and they get to the bottom of it soon.Keep ya chin up.

• 22 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Nut meg

Cheers.

• 23 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2016 at 4:17 PM

Markaccus
    I must of missed this mate but sorry to hear about ur boy, hope it all works out well bud

• 24 Ron Knee // Sep 13, 2016 at 4:17 PM

Jib

You said you went to Dame Allan’s.

• 25 BandB // Sep 13, 2016 at 4:20 PM

And also to Walter Mitty’s.

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2016 at 4:20 PM

More like Dame Edna’s

• 27 hibbit // Sep 13, 2016 at 4:23 PM

jib

thought you went to Rutherford ???

• 28 Ron Knee // Sep 13, 2016 at 4:28 PM

Jib

You were referring to yourself here, I think:-

Jib // Apr 26, 2016 at 7:17 PM

Andrew
    I don’t know if you are a toony or not.
    A big “Dame Allan’s” badge on your jacket marked you as posh .

• 29 magscar // Sep 13, 2016 at 4:33 PM

Mister Tuff

Thanks for Google update earlier today on Curnishley. Unfortunately I was in a rush before heading out so didn’t have the luxury of checking whether my recollection was sound or not – just remembered he went around same time as KK citing similar reasons re managers managing. Nice not have to rely purely on Jib for the Google knowledge.

• 30 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 4:38 PM

Wws

Thanks. Just hoping for an out patients appointment with hopefully a couple of answers

• 31 Spoof // Sep 13, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Shelvey is my biggest fear, as we know we have a decent squad with at least two decent players for all positions, with Shelvey’s role (or the way he plays it) being the exception, sitting as an anchor man and carrying his weight defensively he then gets the ball looks up and moves us forward very quickly and moving the ball quickly is vital but without him do we have anyone else who can do a similar job, I don’t think we have so without him we may have to alter our tactics and that is where we could come a cropper, Shelvey for me is the only player we have who would give me concern if he wasn’t available as every other has someone who could cover to a high standard, but we don’t have that cover for Jonjo, to me he is our most vital player.

• 32 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2016 at 4:45 PM

Markaccus
    No bother mate, keeps us updated bud am sure we will all have our fingers crossed for u and ur family

• 33 Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Howay spoof,
    The team is starting to gel, Rafa is getting ideas across and you’re worried we’ve only got one Shelvey. We had one Mike Williamson for nearly five years man.

• 34 G // Sep 13, 2016 at 4:54 PM

@27, hibbit, that may have been me, I mentioned on here donkeys ago (cant even remember why) that I was Rutherford alumni mate.

• 35 hibbit // Sep 13, 2016 at 4:59 PM

thanks G
    i did think it was has jib but if it was you my mistake

• 36 Mister Tuff // Sep 13, 2016 at 5:00 PM

Magscar – at the time “story” was that he had been at Charlton for 15years and it was him who did not want to stay – he left of his own accord. Later stories surfaced that he had been hounded out by fans. But not really a situation where you could draw parallels.

• 37 Mister Tuff // Sep 13, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Hahahaha – tremendous blogging today – always gives me a good laugh.
    We appear to have an “International Man of Mystery” on the blog.
    He has lived all over the world, had all manner of jobs ( he’ll probably tell us next he was in the SAS).
    Yes our very own Jib Jibberish (blog pest) International Man of Mystery and Intrigue.
    (Or as a down to earth Geordie would say “a lying barsteward”.

• 38 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Spoof

I think that, at a push, Diame could drop back and play shelveys role. We have a few players who could slot in the no10 position. (Gayle, perez, probably atsu, even goofy).

• 39 hibbit // Sep 13, 2016 at 5:06 PM

spoof,

bit soon to start worrying !!

• 40 magscar // Sep 13, 2016 at 5:11 PM

Mister Tuff

It was actually the West Ham departure you referred to ( early September 2008) that I had in my mind and you were correct in saying he did sue and won the following year. Hadn’t realised that as I didn’t really follow his career but the departures (and similar reasons) happened with in days of each other so were in my memory.

• 41 sparky55 // Sep 13, 2016 at 5:37 PM

Nor sure if anyone else has picked up the recent story about the deluded one (Maclaren) bemoaning he was the right man at the wrong time at NUFC…well..I just PMSL for a good half hour…what a fcuking deluded moron.

Amazing how our last 3 managers broke every bad record the club has ever had in it’s entire history and then Rafa comes along and sorts it out in 6 games…unfortunately the club appointed him far too late and it wasn’t enough to keep us up but hey ho…we’re back on track and we’ll back in the premiership next year much stronger for the experience.

My spell check keeps on changing Maclaren to macaroon…I think the computer has it spot on!

• 42 sparky55 // Sep 13, 2016 at 5:38 PM

I reckon another 1-0 for the toon tonight…any thoughts?

• 43 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 13, 2016 at 5:40 PM

I think Rafa has sorted out the defence and Goalkeepers. If we get promoted, I feel that we’ll need to get some flair player in midfield and attack. Hoping Atsu shines. I would consider resigning Sissoko if he struggles at Spurs. Abeid would be another good signing.

• 44 JamesToon // Sep 13, 2016 at 5:41 PM

Kets

F*** off you would resign sissoko

• 45 firebug666 // Sep 13, 2016 at 5:42 PM

sparky55

I fancy a 2-0 Toon win mate, just think we are better organised than them, and have pace to break and create chances.

• 46 firebug666 // Sep 13, 2016 at 5:45 PM

Kets

Deluded!!!

• 47 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 13, 2016 at 5:47 PM

A lot could happen in 8 months. I’d also bring back Townsend but I think Palace will finish in the top 10. Benteke, Remy, Puncheon etc are decent players.

• 48 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 5:58 PM

Dont react to him, people. I said yesterday he is either trolling on purpose, or actually has a mental health problem.

• 49 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:00 PM

Lol kets knows how to be irritatingly mundane. Same tripe in every post but so consistent. Mark I think you’re right on the mental health issue.

• 50 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:02 PM

Looks like my rafa bingo is knackered. Goofy doubtful. No 5 points for me.

• 51 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:03 PM

Kets 11:

____________Krul
    Yedlin_Mbemba_Lascelles_Lazaar
    _______Abeid_Shelvey
    Sissoko__Marveaux_Townsend
    _________Riviere

Am I close? Pretty sure he always talks about grenier and aubameyang.

• 52 Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:04 PM

Has everyone got their confirmed Rafa bingo line ups in, 45 minutes before it’s announced.

• 53 firebug666 // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:04 PM

Well the lads are on the pitch at Loftus Road having a look around.

HWTL

Win tonight 2-0 and then bring on Wolves at home twice.

• 54 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:04 PM

Sparky

Bwahahahaha. Right man at the wrong time. What does that even mean!? Answer….he is a deluded moron, as you say.

• 55 Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:05 PM

Markacus,
    Oh dear, that’s me not off to a flyer either.

• 56 Geordie Dane // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:09 PM

Anyone got one does cheaky radio links?

• 57 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:10 PM

YMFB

You need to put Paul Scharner in there somewhere. And goufran, although i’d agree with that one on current form.

• 58 mad-serb // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:11 PM

saw hanley is there and I am one of the only ones I saw who had him although I saw colback aswell which might kill me off, will be an interesting line up for us all I guess.

• 59 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:11 PM

Jail

Yep,looks like its not Mi Casa, or Sou Casa this time (my spelling may be awful)

• 60 sparky55 // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:17 PM

Firebug66

Interesting as soon as we scored against Derby he pulled Shelvey over to have a word and the instruction was to shut up shop…drop back and catch them on the break whenever possible as opposed to the high press we were adopting before we scored.

I think we’ll win quite a few games this year 1-0…Rafa has got the defence fantastically well drilled and will believe they keep a clean sheet should we go 1-0 up away from home.

Rafa is a stats man…he knows if we draw 60% of the away games and win 60% of the home games we’ll be fine. He’ll therefore defend a 1-0 score away from home with his life!

1-0 for me

• 61 Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:18 PM

Is it going to be anybodies casa?

• 62 Some people ehh // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:18 PM

If anyones still interested this is the reason keegan quit first time round. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/658095.stm
    the club used his name to sell 10 year bonds to fans then shafted them, KK quit coz of his values not coz hes a bottler

• 63 Budge123 // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:20 PM

JFA – Rafa Bingo
    Hope I’m not too late

Sels
    Anita Mbemba Lascelles-Dummett
    Ritchie Hayden Colback Yedlin
    Diame
    Murphy

away win!

• 64 Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:20 PM

He’s just had an Interview on Total Sport, love listening to his answers, nothing seems to faze him. He was talking about two strikers when it’s necessary.

• 65 Geordie Dane // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:20 PM

Are there any radio links for 2night?

• 66 Mister Tuff // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:20 PM

My shout – 2 -0 to the Toon.

only think that the CB pairing -Lascelles/Mbemba will be guarenteed to start – after that who knows. Away so he might be a bit defensive and again try to catch em on the break.

• 67 BandB // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Atsu and Murphy are there, as are Gouffran and Colback, both rated doubtful.
    A squad of 20 went on the bus.

• 68 Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:23 PM

Budge,
    You’ve got until five minutes before it’s announced. I’m not taking not of them but asking anyone who gets it right to post it with the date, time and post number. I’m out already if Goof is injured.

• 69 Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:24 PM

Geordie Danes,
    Jib posted one a thread or three back. It’s called http://www.spreeker.come?

• 70 firebug666 // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:25 PM

sparky55

Yep I agree, however pace in the team from Yedlin got us a second goal, and I think that is what may get us a second tonight.

We may shut up shop and go on the defensive at 1-0, but we have the pace in the squad to hit them on the break after pulling them onto us.

Having said all that, 3 points whatever the score will do for me 😀

• 71 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Haha, I’m really impressed with that lineup. Riviere had electric pace and got in great positions. He just couldn’t score. Loved Demba Ba and Cisse on form. Remy was a good striker. You are missing Santon from the lineup Anita and Ben Arfa

• 72 BandB // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:26 PM

Same team as Saturday.
    Yedlin in if Gouffran is carrying a knock. Hayden in if Colback is.
    Mitrovic a possible starter….but only possible.

• 73 Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:27 PM

Have you posted a Rafa bingo line up BandB?

• 74 BandB // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:28 PM

I’m looking at the team sheet 🙂

• 75 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Paul Scharner would’ve been a good signing four years ago. He was available on a free and we needed a goalscoring centre half. Paul was great at corners.

• 76 firebug666 // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Jail

Aye me too if Gouffran is out…Ah well!

• 77 sobadithurts // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:28 PM

YMFB @51.

Respect where it’s due sir.
    That is the funniest comment I’ve ever seen on here!

• 78 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:29 PM

Lee Hughes and Darren Ambrose would’ve been good signings back in 2010.

• 79 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Looks like many have fallen foul of selecting the Goofster.

• 80 WWSBRD // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Oh u guys put Goofy in ur line up ?Oh dear thats unfortunate for u….if only someone hadnt

There u go Ive jinxed it so Goofy should be starting

• 81 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:33 PM

Gouffran’s natural position is a striker. Remember him scoring against Spurs away? That’s where he should be playing. He’s not a winger. He was awesome at Caen. He is excellent in the air.

• 82 BandB // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:33 PM

Mark,

Not sure we can all shake our heads and whistle through our teeth at the unbelievable unpredictability of Gouffran missing out if he does, given that Rafa has been dropping clanging great hints about it since Saturday night.

• 83 Ketsbaia9 // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:34 PM

He is probably the best striker at the club. Gouffran and Mitrovic will be lethal this season. Gayle is clinical.

• 84 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:35 PM

BandB

Yeah but it’s been so unpredictable, it could have been a bluff. I felt sure he would have shrugged it off by now, and he is a player in form.

• 85 sparky55 // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:35 PM

Gouffy was injured against Derby…Rafa was never going to risk him with the size of our squad

• 86 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:38 PM

However, it looks like I was spectacularly wrong….. no change there, some might say 😀

• 87 BandB // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:39 PM

Mark

He’s travelled, so there’s always a chance.

• 88 simon376 // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:39 PM

Has the team been released for tonights game? I havent seen anything

• 89 Markaccus // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:40 PM

Not yet, Simon

• 90 simon376 // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:41 PM

Thank Mark,no doubt will be very soon

• 91 BandB // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:43 PM

Mark,

If you were left out of the squad with Gouffran and Colback definitely ruled out but still travelling, you’d be hacked off.

• 92 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:47 PM

4 changes –
    Clark in Mbemba
    Hayden in for Colback
    Perez in for Gayle
    Mitrovich in for cannot remember

• 93 Ron Knee // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Mbemba misses out with a slight knock tonight #NUFC

• 94 BandB // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:47 PM

Metro starts with Clark. Gouffran plays

• 95 Jail for Ashley // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:47 PM

It’s been named, ha ha, anyone have Clarke in?

• 96 BandB // Sep 13, 2016 at 6:50 PM

Mbemba has a knock Jail, for God’s sake.

previous post: Rafa’s Brilliant Answer On How He Deals With High Expectations