Signs That Benitez Starting To Get The Best Out Of Midfield Star

Jonjo Shelvey burst onto the scene at Charlton when he made his first-team debut in April of 2008, starting in a 3–0 away loss against Barnsley in the Championship.

Alan Pardew was the manager at Charlton at the time and Jonjo became their youngest-ever player at the tender age of 16 years and 59 days.

jonjo shelvey rafa benitez training

Jonjo Shelvey and Rafa Benitez

And ever since then nobody has really doubted the ability of the Romford born player just that he is inconsistent and his temperament sometimes gets in the way.

Since Rafa came to the club in March, Jonjo had had an up and down time of it, but maybe Rafa’s words and coaching are starting to have an impact on the 24 year-old.

Jonjo lost weight in the summer and hired a private trainer and came back for pre-season training fitter than he’s been in a  long time – so that shows his determination.

And he’s had two good games in his last two starts for Newcastle – one at home against Brighton and then on the road last Saturday at Derby – both 2-0 wins for Newcastle.

Of course we cannot get too far ahead of ourselves and yes – it’s only two games.

But Rafa has talked recently about Jonjo and that he now seems to be learning about himself and his play and is starting to improve:

“I think he knows his strengths and also his problems. He’s working on that and improving.”

“I think he worked very hard during the summer to try to be fit. At the beginning of the season you could see that in the training sessions.

“Then he had more confidence. He is playing better and his first goal was massive for him too.

“There’s a lot of positives, little by little he is learning things about his game and that is positive about his future too.”

Jonjo can become an excellent player for Newcastle under Rafa Benitez and he can also help us get promoted this season with his creative displays – and certainly that goal against Brighton was something to behold.

This is a great opportunity for Jonjo to become a big star at Newcastle.

How Will Newcastle Fare At QPR?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Markaccus

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:24 PM

Who the hell is “sobadithurts”??
    A random, rarely seen poster who felt the need to come on and have an unwarrented pop at another poster, for apparently no reason whatsoever!? Just fcuk off with that sh1te, man, you fcuking tool. Totally uncalled for. D1ck

• Markaccus

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:24 PM

And breath…….

• Markaccus

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:26 PM

On Shelvey.
    The lad is starting to show more than just the odd hollywood pass, now. He is lasting aro7nd 75-80 mins and looking good in MF. Keep it up, Voldamort.

• Jib

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:27 PM

Mark
    It happens to me all the time
    btw did you get my link to the lady on the bus ?

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:28 PM

So who thought it would be a good idea to make an account that focuses all there attention on me with insults? Maybe I deserve it but c’mon, didn’t realise there were other young’uns on here…

Sobadithurts how on earth am I creepy? I actually live with my dad since my parents split up when I was 3. But I’m only 18 and I pay board money anyway. Don’t you dare bring up my mum either, the way she has been talking to me recently including how she said ‘I’ll be happy when I die because of the pain’ since she has health problems, really offends me. Going through a tough time at the moment and I don’t need you being rude. I’ll be back on later before I say something offensive.

• Markaccus

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:28 PM

Jib.

No I havn’t. Any help is appreciated.

• WWSBRD

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:29 PM

Jib
    Interesting…though I didnt ask where u went to school through ur life bit weird u gave me that information rather than just saying Benwell
    No one I have ever met in Newcastle would say Geordie nation but again each to their own

Ur still completely wrong about Keegan btw thats never going to change

• nut meg

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:29 PM

Markaccus
    Have you managed to track down the lady who helped your son yet?

• Jib

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:30 PM

The day it happened – or at least th day when you told us about it I posted a link

• Markaccus

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:30 PM

Nut meg

Not yet. Waiting for ITV website team to call. They want to help now.

• Jib

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:31 PM

Why would I say Benwell ?

• Markaccus

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:31 PM

Jib

Ah right. I got distracted not long after I posted. I’ll go back and find it, thanks.

• WWSBRD

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:33 PM

Why would u say 3 schools rather than saying where ur from?

• nut meg

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:35 PM

Markaccus
    How’s your boy doing?

• Jib

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Mark
    I posted this

for some reason (probably cos I was pissed on Friday night) I thought the lady had been named.

• Jib

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:49 PM

I said 2 schools and their locations
    Tynemouth Grammar Tech became Preston High school not that weird unless you are a conspiracy theorist

• Tsunki

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:52 PM

Jib it happens to you all the time? He said unwarranted. You must have missed it 🙂

• WWSBRD

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:55 PM

Haha ok Jib ur right often when asked where I am from I name my school history, certainly not an odd thing to do. Though it certainly confused those Floridians last time it happened

• WWSBRD

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:59 PM

Haha conspiracy though am not trying to be Sherlock Holmes but saying Geordie nation in my experience is a odd thing to do then replying with schools rather than a location when asked where ur from is weird

…admittedly the Benwell think was a touch of fun because well quite a lot of people believe ur Jeff from Benwell

• Markaccus

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:01 PM

Jib

Ah right. Yeah my ex wife got interviewed for that story, we have shared it all over facebook but no luck yet. Thanks anyway.

Nut meg

Strangely, he seems well, now. There is no explanation as to why it happened. He already needs a lung transplant, and there was also no explanation as to why his lungs went to pot. They took some samples before the discharged him, to test for mitochondrial disease, which would at least provide answers.

• nut meg

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:12 PM

Markaccus
    I hope everything works out for him and they get to the bottom of it soon.Keep ya chin up.

• Markaccus

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:15 PM

Nut meg

Cheers.

• WWSBRD

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:17 PM

Markaccus
    I must of missed this mate but sorry to hear about ur boy, hope it all works out well bud

• Ron Knee

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:17 PM

Jib

You said you went to Dame Allan’s.

• BandB

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:20 PM

And also to Walter Mitty’s.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:20 PM

More like Dame Edna’s

• hibbit

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:23 PM

jib

thought you went to Rutherford ???

• Ron Knee

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:28 PM

Jib

You were referring to yourself here, I think:-

Jib // Apr 26, 2016 at 7:17 PM

Andrew
    I don’t know if you are a toony or not.
    A big “Dame Allan’s” badge on your jacket marked you as posh .

• magscar

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:33 PM

Mister Tuff

Thanks for Google update earlier today on Curnishley. Unfortunately I was in a rush before heading out so didn’t have the luxury of checking whether my recollection was sound or not – just remembered he went around same time as KK citing similar reasons re managers managing. Nice not have to rely purely on Jib for the Google knowledge.

• Markaccus

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:38 PM

Wws

Thanks. Just hoping for an out patients appointment with hopefully a couple of answers

• Spoof

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:42 PM

Shelvey is my biggest fear, as we know we have a decent squad with at least two decent players for all positions, with Shelvey’s role (or the way he plays it) being the exception, sitting as an anchor man and carrying his weight defensively he then gets the ball looks up and moves us forward very quickly and moving the ball quickly is vital but without him do we have anyone else who can do a similar job, I don’t think we have so without him we may have to alter our tactics and that is where we could come a cropper, Shelvey for me is the only player we have who would give me concern if he wasn’t available as every other has someone who could cover to a high standard, but we don’t have that cover for Jonjo, to me he is our most vital player.

• WWSBRD

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:45 PM

Markaccus
    No bother mate, keeps us updated bud am sure we will all have our fingers crossed for u and ur family

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:48 PM

Howay spoof,
    The team is starting to gel, Rafa is getting ideas across and you’re worried we’ve only got one Shelvey. We had one Mike Williamson for nearly five years man.

• G

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:54 PM

@27, hibbit, that may have been me, I mentioned on here donkeys ago (cant even remember why) that I was Rutherford alumni mate.

• hibbit

Sep 13, 2016 at 4:59 PM

thanks G
    i did think it was has jib but if it was you my mistake

• Mister Tuff

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:00 PM

Magscar – at the time “story” was that he had been at Charlton for 15years and it was him who did not want to stay – he left of his own accord. Later stories surfaced that he had been hounded out by fans. But not really a situation where you could draw parallels.

• Mister Tuff

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Hahahaha – tremendous blogging today – always gives me a good laugh.
    We appear to have an “International Man of Mystery” on the blog.
    He has lived all over the world, had all manner of jobs ( he’ll probably tell us next he was in the SAS).
    Yes our very own Jib Jibberish (blog pest) International Man of Mystery and Intrigue.
    (Or as a down to earth Geordie would say “a lying barsteward”.

• Markaccus

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:05 PM

Spoof

I think that, at a push, Diame could drop back and play shelveys role. We have a few players who could slot in the no10 position. (Gayle, perez, probably atsu, even goofy).

• hibbit

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:06 PM

spoof,

bit soon to start worrying !!

• magscar

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:11 PM

Mister Tuff

It was actually the West Ham departure you referred to ( early September 2008) that I had in my mind and you were correct in saying he did sue and won the following year. Hadn’t realised that as I didn’t really follow his career but the departures (and similar reasons) happened with in days of each other so were in my memory.