The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Tries To Rewrite History But Here’s The Truth

8:27 pm, Wednesday, September 14th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 81 Comments

Steve McClaren is busy trying to rewrite history and we suppose with a record as bad as Steve had at Newcastle, it’s not too surprising he would try to do that.

Steve has been talking again about his short and very disastrous time at Newcastle and he has said he was the right man at the wrong time at Newcastle.

In truth it was almost the opposite – he was the wrong man at the right time.

We had just survived relegation last year under the very woeful John Carver when we lost nine out of our last 11 games and eight Premier League games in a row for the first time ever.

Steve-McClaren

Steve McClaren last season – even he couldn’t watch it

When Alan Pardew left the club early last year, for the next 15 months it was the worst performance in the Premier League Newcastle have ever endured and we put that down to poor coaching.

Here’s their records in the league.

Head CoachPlayedWonDrawn LostGFGAGDPoints
Carver1934121835-1713
McClaren2456132544-1921
Total43810254379-3634

So between them they won 8 league games in 43 and lost 25 and their goal difference was -36.

🙁

Mike Ashley wanted to stay out of the running of the club (a very good decision) and he had tasked Lee Charnley with getting a new head coach in.

And Lee for some reason known only to himself and it was even after his disastrous appointment of John Carver as interim coach – chose Steve McClaren.

Steve had just been sacked by Derby County because he had failed to get them promoted over his two seasons in charge.

It was the right time to pick a good head coach, because as it turned out Mike Ashley was willing to spend money and we spent £80M on new players last season.

This season so far, Rafa has made a £31M profit and sold two of the players we signed last season – Gini Wijnaldum for £25M (£14M) and Andros Townsend for £13M (£12M) – a cumulative profit of about £12M.

This is what Steve McClaren has said recently:

“Run correctly and rightly, as a football club it will thrive.”

“Unfortunately, I was the right man at the wrong time. What Rafa has done is gone in and gained control. It needed a big change.”

“He has bought players with Championship experience, leaders in the dressing room, which was something that was badly needed.”

The system didn’t work – that’s true.

Having Lee Charnley and Graham Carr choose the players didn’t work at all, but why didn’t Steve speak up more about that when he was in charge?

Rafa has a much stronger character and he wouldn’t take over unless he had full control of all football matters at the club.

That strong personality of Rafa’s is also evident with his squad and he is proving quickly at Newcastle why he is one of the best managers in the world.

In the 18 games in charge in all competitions (17 in the league with one cup win) he has won 9 of them with a goal difference of +16.

Steve McClaren wasn’t and never will be the right man for Newcastle.

He is simply not good enough as a coach and nothing in his record suggested he had what it takes to be a successful Newcastle manager.

That may be hard on McClaren, but it is the truth.

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Other News

81 responses so far ↓

• 1 Mister Tuff // Sep 14, 2016 at 8:31 PM

Wally Brollys Bwave new World – what a load of tosh by ssshhhh -you know who.

Hope we are not going to hear such claptrap and drivel again!!

• 2 Markaccus // Sep 14, 2016 at 8:31 PM

Grinning bellend.

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Sep 14, 2016 at 8:37 PM

So knowing what it would take why was he so willing to take the job on. Because the inanely grinning fool was desperate for a job. He had every chance to say I want this or that, instead he let himself be humiliated on his first press conference when told what to say and to whom.

• 4 ShirebrookToon // Sep 14, 2016 at 8:39 PM

Cardboard cut out kernt!

• 5 Average_Contents // Sep 14, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Perhaps if you’d had some actual bawls when you took the job instead of just gleefully accepting whatever terms they laid out to you for one more shot at the big time then people might have a bit more respect toward you.

Oh, and you were never the right man. Ever.

Grinning twat of the highest order.

• 6 andrew84 // Sep 14, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Didn’t put you off raving about him in every other post when he first joined us though Ed :p

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Sep 14, 2016 at 8:49 PM

I suppose the fraud has a column or slot on a show somewhere and gets asked questions now and then. Don’t ever think he’ll get a job in the PL or Championship again but if Carver can get a half decent job after his complete shambles we’ll hear about the tw@t in the UAE or somewhere like that.

• 8 WWSBRD // Sep 14, 2016 at 8:51 PM

Tbf a lot of people thought he’d be a good appointment but it didn’t work out

I’ve got no ill will towards him personally

• 9 Ian Toon // Sep 14, 2016 at 8:57 PM

31Ian Toon // Apr 8, 2014 at 3:09 PM
    Mr Tuff- You really are a tedious ……..!

I was asked to provide a brief piece on Jonjo which could be absorbed into a fuller report. I was unaware if it was to be used and if so when. If you are a DT reader please examine….. You’ve lost all credibility in your obsessive desire towards me. Have you recently watched the Boys from Brazil. I thought you got of lightly some months ago over your accusations levelled at nagascar- for all our sakes give it a rest.
    The Jonjo piece was in support of Spoof and was a follow up from this morning-

Mr Tuff- I have responded previously. All my own material – I write/ submit for the Metro and others usually under the titled Sports Reporter banner. I don’t have a problem someone else posting under their name because it means they rate the content. I am using the leverage to get some work potentially from the London, Evening Standard. Hope this meets with your approval. Don’t worry it’s only a hobby
    I have a desire to qualify in a very much more worthwhile field than becoming an old hack- I can’t keep up in the drinking stakes.

I wrote occasional articles for WSC when in my first year at Uni as an 18 year old. It helped towards my survival.

We’ve spoken before about people with agendas- I always look at who’s saying what and why they’re saying it.

• 10 SUTTY1978 // Sep 14, 2016 at 8:57 PM

In all fairness when Rafa took over he only had control of picking the team, so to say he wouldn’t take over without full control is disingenuous. It wasn’t until we were relegated and he negotiated a different deal that he took full control.

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Sep 14, 2016 at 8:58 PM

Oh WW…,
    I can’t stand the grinning pr!ck, he knew full well that the set up was a shambles yet was willing to take us down just because he knew he’d never be offered another job in the PL again, he didn’t want to be here from the off

• 12 Ron Knee // Sep 14, 2016 at 8:59 PM

He was complicit in our relegation.

• 13 Jail for Ashley // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:01 PM

SUTTY,
    In all fairness what else could he have had control over in his ten game remit?

• 14 WWSBRD // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:04 PM

Jail
    When he took the job no way he thought we would get relegated though

• 15 Mister Tuff // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:05 PM

hahaha always get a good laugh on here:-

Ian Toon ” You’ve lost all credibility in your obsessive desire towards me”

No obsessive desire sonny I just react to deceitful knobbers.

• 16 SUTTY1978 // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:07 PM

Jail
    He signed a 3 year contract not just one for 10 games. I’ll admit the break clause was clever, but if we had stayed in the PL then he had a contract for another 2.5 years without control.

• 17 magicmac // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:07 PM

Steve Mc Claren, my advice to you is keep your mouth closed, your making an even bigger fool of yourself, as the saying goes, you can fool some of the people some of the time, but you cant fool all of the people all of the time. HWTL.

• 18 hibbit // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:09 PM

if you believe half the clap trap thats been written on the Carver and McLaren appointments they were both Charnleys appointments he picked them his head should have rolled
    in my mind a lot of the blame for our relegation falls at his door he made a big mistake with McLaren and was not big enough to admit it kept him in the job way to long to try and save face and it all went tits up Carver and McLaren were never good enough for the job in hand neither was Charnley
    notice how he’s adopted a very low profile these last few months

• 19 SUTTY1978 // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:11 PM

IanToon. That DT report was from an hour after the match finished last night. I find it highly unlikely that in that hour you were asked to provide a bit of blurb, you did it, sent it and the author incorporated it, got it past the editor and released it.
    I’ve emailed Gerry to ask him anyway.

• 20 Rotonda heights // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:12 PM

Ian and the word credibility in the same sentence. Oh the irony.

• 21 Ian Toon // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:19 PM

It has been a continuing obsessive habit of yours over many years. The repeat posts suggest 3 and a half years. Does a man of your mature years really want to devote such time to this rather than enjoy your retirement or putting something back in the charity field.

It’s not my business but It isn’t healthy and it absorbs too much of your time.

• 22 Ian Toon // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:20 PM

Rotonda- You’re not being helpful. Excuse me.

• 23 Jail for Ashley // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:21 PM

SUTTY,
    Talks went on for nearly a week before he took the job, how do you know what he’d asked for, relegation set a whole new ball game.
    WW…,
    He’s too up himself to think that but he knew exactly that it was being run as a shambles, his comments now prove that, he was desperate to be in the PL and wasn’t going to let our relegation get in the way of that. Whether it’s done him any harm in the long run is a different matter, I doubt it’s done his bank balance any serious harm but his ego might have too much a bit of a hit, he’s such a shite house though it’s probably gone over his head.

• 24 Ian Toon // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:23 PM

Sutty- You’re another trying to find fault. I provided the Jonjo comment around 10 days ago- read what I wrote to Mr Tuff.

• 25 WWSBRD // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:25 PM

Jail
    Haha Christ u really don’t like him

As I say mate I’ve no real dislike for him, if he hadn’t taken it someone else of equal stance would of and they might of done better meaning we wouldn’t have Rafa and a chance of a future now

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:26 PM

IT,
    Just give up the petty battles will you, you’ve got about as much credibility on here as Mcardew, a few disillusioned people not capable of cleaning their own hoops.

• 27 Ian Toon // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:28 PM

Sutty- “I was asked to provide a brief piece on Jonjo which could be absorbed into a fuller report. I was unaware if it was to be used and if so when”.

• 28 SUTTY1978 // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:37 PM

Ian, your brief piece on Shelvey written 10 days ago is all about what he did last night, none of it would have made sense 10 days ago.
    What’s your day job, clairvoyant?
    Just admit when you’ve been rumbled.

• 29 Jail for Ashley // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:39 PM

hibbitt,
    The fat man himself said the buck stops with him, but Llambeze, JfK, Churnley and the three McCardew’s share a huge part of the blame as well.

• 30 welshgeordie9 // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:41 PM

Gents, Gents, Gents, can’t you all just get along and just enjoy what’s happening this season, ffs.

• 31 Toon Tang // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:43 PM

Marhoosive lols at Villa.

• 32 GeordieTwo // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:43 PM

Spurs always seem to fall short when push comes to shove. As does England. There are quite a few Spurs players in the England setup now? Any connection here? It looks as if several of them should be dropped by Big Sam to me. No cutting edge in the game against Monaco.

• 33 Ian Toon // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:44 PM

Sutty- I don’t have to satisfy you or anyone else .

• 34 WWSBRD // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:45 PM

Wait Ian Toon is a writer in the Metro?

• 35 Ian Toon // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:46 PM

Welsh- This was engineered by MR Tuff and not for the first time.

• 36 Jail for Ashley // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:51 PM

welsh,
    Just shut the fcuk up and try and say something meaningful for once will you. We’re talking about Mclaren, why don’t you add your limited thoughts to that discussion, or would you rather just wind people up by saying how good Pardew is, remember your first posts slating Pardew when a few people thought he was OK. I do not believe for one single minute you support the toon, I’ve seen the way you bite and slate us when someone points out how shit Swansea are!

• 37 sing in the corner // Sep 14, 2016 at 9:52 PM

Haven’t got BT but I can easily imagine old Moussa sloping off the pitch harbouring thoughts that, as a man of such skill and talent, he should have started the game. Oh well, he can always get onto his contact at L’equip and start chatting on about beautiful clubs if it doesn’t go well at The Tottenham club,.
    Aah, all in all its been a canny footballing week.. 🙂

• 38 welshgeordie9 // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:03 PM

Say something meaningful, jail you dipstick, why keep on about the past when something exciting is happening right now.

• 39 toon kk // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:03 PM

A great result yesterday, I have to admit we exceeded my expectations. So well done to Rafa and the team.
    Shelvey showed his premier league quality’s and scored a great goal.

• 40 welshgeordie9 // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:04 PM

And by the way i don’t need people telling me swans are rubbish, I already know especially as we have got a clown as a manager.

• 41 SUTTY1978 // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:05 PM

One thing I think all Toon fans can agree on is that McClaren is a useless twat.

• 42 welshgeordie9 // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:06 PM

And if you don’t believe that i support Newcastle you can kiss my arse.

• 43 Munster Mag // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:07 PM

Wally is an annoying tool. In fairness, much worse than pardew as he had a generally higher quality of player having spent 80 million. I lost any hope after his stupid analysis of the watford game where he claimed we were marvellous. Utter knob, but correct in suggesting his hands were partly tied.

• 44 welshgeordie9 // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:09 PM

jail you want me to talk about Mcclaren, Pardew, or Carver, how about they are all rubbish there conversation done.

• 45 sing in the corner // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:11 PM

Gonna get tickets for me n the bairn for Tuesday night I think. As someone else was saying earlier… League match tickets are suddenly gonna be harder to come by! Hopefully Rafa will put a strong ‘change’ side out..

• 46 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:24 PM

Right, McClaren flopped. Massively. But point out which part of this is wrong…

“Run correctly and rightly, as a football club it will thrive.”

McClaren is essentially saying he didn’t get the chance to have control. Most people agree I think, although not necessarily last summer. Run correctly and rightly, this club will thrive. Depends on your definition of thrive, but he is right.

“Right man, wrong time”. We will never know. He is a good coach though. Not a tactician, not a motivator, not a man who deals with pressure. Right man, wrong role – more likely.

Final paragraph doesn’t need any support. Rafa has had greater control, and we are reaping the benefits.

• 47 Mister Tuff // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:25 PM

Ian Toon – you’ve been rumbled again. Just give it up man.
    If you do not mind my intervention, whilst I admire folk trying to get on, I regretfully can let you know – you do not have a future in using the pen.
    Budding writers – there are a couple on here -do use the blog as a test pad for their writings.
    Nothing initially wrong with that. However, some folk have it any some do not.
    I could be transported to a far off land, a distant place by the words of classical writers.Those who use this blog for their own purposes do not and never will possess those abilities.
    Another fault of the budding writers on here is to be sesquipedalian or in other words using big words to make you look more intelligent when really they are not necessary.
    You and others on here do not have a future writing – have you checked out the situations vacant at your local ASDA.
    Better career path I would suggest.

• 48 Novocastrian66 // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Its great that people actually want to go to the match again and not just going because of stoic devotion. Long may it continue.

• 49 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:29 PM

Maybe McClaren thought he could change things. Maybe he felt he would be able to rebuild.

Why do fans give the player excuses that they were lied to by the regime, but accuse managers/coaches of being complicit? Who says coaches and managers weren’t lied to?

• 50 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:34 PM

Munster,
    McClaren and Pardew comparison? Difficult to make. McClaren can coach a team far better, and improve their play. Pardew can probably select a side and set it up better. Mix their best qualities, and you probably have a pretty talented English manager.

• 51 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:38 PM

Jail,
    I doubt anyone who doesn’t support the Toon could possibly be as much of a regular on here as Welsh. The occasional non Toon WUM that gets on here has nowhere near the staying power.

• 52 Jail for Ashley // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:42 PM

Lilongwe,
    I saw a pattern being built, I genuinely think that Pardew was told he was to work on a budget but we were after a bit of success, the goal posts were seriously moved after fifth but he was pacified with an eight year deal and the shit house took it, Carver and Mclaren knew exactly what the set up was.

• 53 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:49 PM

Jail,
    I’m not so sure. Quite a lot on here thought last summer was different and McClaren had the carte blanche that we now think Rafa has. The board idea was a joke, the setup didn’t change, but the club must have told last summers signings that things had changed, so why wouldn’t they have also lied to McClaren?

As for Carver, completely different situation. He was dropped in to a job that all of us as fans would take in the same situation – as he did. He spoke out (badly), made some ill advised comments, and then turned down his contract extension. I do have a soft spot for him as he was my first coach at the club, so I am slightly biased.

• 54 Jail for Ashley // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:51 PM

Lilongwe,
    He might have took a liking to the club when Swansea were in the third division. From the blogs I’ve looked at when getting fan opinion most look like nufc.co.uk that don’t get updated for days and have comments as little as every few hours. Imo he uses this as a chat room to wind people up, if you remember his first comments on here he actually said as much.

• 55 jimmysmith // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:51 PM

“Pardew was told he was to work on a budget but we were after a bit of success”

I’d have to agree, but the goalposts I think changed after he quit and Carver nearly took us down, and obviously changed again when McClaren took us to the brink.

A bit of success is about right. Hindsight would suggest we were never going to get even that as things stood and so Pardew scarpered.

• 56 GeordieTwo // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:52 PM

Pardew and McLaren are both water under the bridge now thank God. I would rather discuss the positives of having a real manager with real control over the club. Look what happens when that’s the case. We immediately start to improve dramatically. Sit back and enjoy it. Long may it last. I Ashley was daft enough to not secure Rafa to another contract at the end of this one then we’ll be right back in the dross.

• 57 GeordieTwo // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:54 PM

I do remember welshie proudly stating that he was on here to wind people up early on. Now it’s harder to tell. He’s matured a bit and seems to want to discuss the club properly now and then.

• 58 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:54 PM

I’m fairly certain that since Ashley took over, every manager would have done things differently given the opportunity. Have any, other than Rafa, had the success to provide them with the clout to make a stand?

Not saying any of them were good, but I do think that they all knew what was wrong, and had they been able to, would have changed it, given the chance.

• 59 GeordieTwo // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:55 PM

We’ve got beautiful weather right now over here so I’m off to enjoy it. Don’t take the blog too seriously lads.

• 60 GeordieTwo // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:56 PM

Spot on Lilongwe mate. The real problem at the club was always Mike Ashley. He has finally had to step down off his high horse after the second relegation and give control to a man who deserves it.

• 61 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:57 PM

Jail,
    I can’t say one way or the other with certainty, but I can’t imagine anyone who is just here as a wind up would be on so much. If he is, and we know he is, then in fairness, anyone who bites is equally culpable!

• 62 welshgeordie9 // Sep 14, 2016 at 10:58 PM

Jail you are winding yourself, you repeating the same thing all the time, you must think it so much that you actually believe it, you know nothing about me so why guess.

• 63 Jail for Ashley // Sep 14, 2016 at 11:00 PM

Lilongwe,
    After Carver people were looking at anything to think things were on the up, if after seeing Pardew hung out to dry, Ashley being constantly named as one of Britain’s worst owners that he took the job anyway without getting written assurances then more fool him. I personally think he knew exactly what he was getting in to.
    You obviously see Carver differently to us, but the way he copied up to the regime made him anything but a fan, there’s loads of jobs I would like Lilongwe but wouldn’t do what he done to get them.

• 64 welshgeordie9 // Sep 14, 2016 at 11:01 PM

If i was wum, i would be writing the same stupid comments like kets.

• 65 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2016 at 11:07 PM

Jail,
    Carver took the job on the remit given. I doubt anyone of us would turn it down though, even if we didn’t think we were up to it. What did he do to get them? Be given a job by Keegan? Get promoted in his role by SBR?

Carver spoke out on players, the squad. Far more than Pardew had done, and far more than anyone under contract had. Some was misdirected. Way out of his depth. No question. Worthy of the abuse he has received? Not in the slightest. After all, he was employed at the club by Keegan and Sir Bobby, was he that bad?

Benitez took the job despite Ashley’s rep. The difference is he had more power to make it his.

• 66 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2016 at 11:12 PM

G2,
    Ashley is a problem. But a lot of people involved with the club have lead to where we are. Not just Ashley. He was the catalyst, but excuses shouldn’t be made for others.

• 67 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 14, 2016 at 11:18 PM

G2 – my post @66.
    Is/Was? 18 months minimum until I’d even get close to deciding.

• 68 expatmag // Sep 14, 2016 at 11:29 PM

Welshie……you stirring the pot again?

• 69 so-far-king-quick // Sep 15, 2016 at 12:04 AM

have yous actually seen where wally brolly mr tufty has ended up, hes doing a degree at manchester uni on sports directorship and has ambitions to run his own football club or be director of some sort, wouldnt even trust him running a sunday league club

• 70 jimmysmith // Sep 15, 2016 at 1:42 AM

Ed puts it down to poor coaching. How about poor coaching and poor recruitment? Or shall we just say poor recruitment across the board from Ashley until the appointment of Benitez.

• 71 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 15, 2016 at 2:14 AM

Let’s face it, he doesn’t want be remembered as a complete failure after a very good career elsewhere, who would? I haven’t fully checked out my assumption in making that comment but Big Mike is smart and would only go for a real winner, surely.

Anyway my point is that he wants to continue in football and has to find reasons as to why he failed, so it wasn’t his fault he just happened to be in a right/wrong place at the wrong/right time for him.

I know that I am repeating much of what has already been said, but it’s not my fault I’m saying the wrong/right things when everyone else has gone to bed.

Anyway that’s what I’m going to do now, so goodnight to the night shift. And pleasant dreams of us hammering Barcelona 7-0 in the champions league next year.

Oh and isn’t it a shame that our former super star (no names) didn’t get to figure in the defeat of Spurs. Bet no one found that funny, not much!!

• 72 DubaiMicky // Sep 15, 2016 at 5:25 AM

In some ways Wally was a blessing in disguise, if he hadn’t been so useless we would never have got Rafa.

• 73 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 15, 2016 at 7:02 AM

What is the point in blaming any manager at NUFC under Ashley? I keep seeing Benitez this Benitez that, super coach this and that, SAVIOUR! Yes, he is a world class coach, but the main problem at NUFC has never been about the coaching. It was the transfer policies in place and the lack of control given to the manager. No manager had a serious chance of competeing with the thread bare squad and lack of quality once injuries occured.

The real reasons we are doing well and the truth:

We are in the Championship right now.
    The manager now has complete control of ins and outs at the club.
    The manager now has been allowed to build a proper squad and add competition for places in each position.
    He has been BACKED with plenty money from the start.
    He has been allowed to buy experience and leadership without any age restrictions.

They have torn up the policy of letting players use us as a stepping stone, the players we sign now actually see a long term project and want to be here long term. They have heart.

Finally, we are being ran as a proper football club.

You can look at past records of managers at NUFC under Ashley and look at this broken record here and there of Pardew, Carver or McClaren..

But the truth is, the problem was how we were run as a club from upstairs. It never worked, the club was rotten from the very top and not one manager had been given the keys to the castle. Hell, by the time McClaren came in the club was a shambles right the way through to youth levels. It wasn’t down to poor coaches, it was the structures and policies that were to blame. Throwing money at the mess they created far too late was never going to fix the losing culture and lack of heart and experience misssed over such a long period of time.

Coaching will only get you so far, the manager needs control of all footballing matters and then he can be judged accordingly and fairly.

The success is down to a complete revamp in policies through out the club, not because of a change of manager/coach. Why do you think Benitez wouldn’t take the job unless he had complete control? Because he knew it was an impossible task without having that control.

I couldn’t careless about Pardew or McClaren, but one thing is for sure, it was an impossible task to succeed here the way the club was run and with the policies in place during their tenure.

They may of signed up with the limitations in place, but what mediocre coach/manager wouldn’t? Of course they will take the job on. It was the best we could of hoped for as no manager/coach would of touched us with the polices and limitations still in place.

I think Benitez is a class manager, but please give it a rest with the super Benitez, saviour balk while comparing him to past managers. The reason we are looking healthy is because we are finally behaving as a proper football club again where a manager has complete control and is actually being backed 100%. We are finally letting a manager build something.

• 74 mindshaft // Sep 15, 2016 at 7:17 AM

Well Rafa managed to get 12 points from last six games in prem using the same players the wally had at his disposal … so wrong man , wrong job etc

• 75 Budge123 // Sep 15, 2016 at 7:20 AM

But surely Toon P he is to be lauded to have enabled that change.

Steve M had money to burn at Derby and didn’t create anything that Rafa is creating.

Yes the running of the club has changed but only because it was made obvious by Rafa it needed to.

Imagine this club in the Championship being run as it was – god help us.

• 76 Jail for Ashley // Sep 15, 2016 at 7:27 AM

TP.
    So why didn’t Mclaren insist on full control before taking the job, he wasn’t hard up, he’s a multi millionaire from multiple sackings. Benitez came and said if you want me this is how it’s going to be. Mclaren had every opportunity to do the same.

• 77 magscar // Sep 15, 2016 at 7:45 AM

TP

Can’t disagree with much of what you say and Lilongwe made a lot of sense last night but where Rafa differs is the stature he has.

We are benefitting from Ashley arriving finally at the realisation that the club could not be run as it was. What turned out to be no more than tweaks last summer didn’t rescue us from the malaise we had descended into.

Whilst I agree that given the opportunity Rafa has gained for himself the others could and would have done some things differently they had neither the stature or know-how to have gotten anywhere close to where Rafa has taken us in a very short time.

The important point is of course even if they had not hitherto been connected to the Club none of them would have been offered the level of control (even if sought) by Ashley.

I think most of us are probably acknowledging that we finally have a manager of stature in the game only equalled by SBR but at an age when he can make a bigger impact and definitely has the most control since KK’s first spell.

He also “gets” the club and fans so he is a fairly unique capture for us.

There may be other managers out there who could take on the big job which has floored many before him but are they capable and willing to overhaul the epitome of a sleeping giant at a time when even the smallest of the clubs in the promised land of the PL are enjoying untold riches?

Time will tell but I believe that Rafa is in place at a time when he can become a real legend surpassing others already awarded that status by us fans. Not a given but the early signs are good.

• 78 expatmag // Sep 15, 2016 at 8:07 AM

TP

In my opinion, having backed the new manager to the tune of £80 millon plus last season, Ashley did back him.

The dault lies squarely on the shoulders of McLaren and the way he tried to adopt tika taka football holland style and failing miserably.

The squad we had last year was top 10 quality in potential as shown by Rafa in those last 6 games of the season with well earned draws against City and at Liverpool and the destruction of Spura.

If we had appointed Rafa 2 weeks earlier, I am convinced Sunderland would have gone down instead of us. As it turned out, a lucky home win against Chelsea who failed to take a plethera of easy chances saved them.

• 79 magscar // Sep 15, 2016 at 8:17 AM

Expat

McClaren didn’t oversee the summer spending though and may have wanted different players (seemingly a CB) but wasn’t bold enough and wilted under the pressure so couldn’t take the necessary action as the season collapsed around him.

• 80 Jail for Ashley // Sep 15, 2016 at 8:22 AM

expat,
    Ashley has admitted the buck stops with him, I don’t agree with TP either that the manager is blameless, the whole system has been set up to fail for about four years now, tye blame lies on Mclaren for accepting to work under it. And Ashley didn’t back Mclaren at all, he backed Churnley and Carr to bring in players to sell.

• 81 anthc // Sep 15, 2016 at 8:25 AM

Steve mclaren got us relegated end of. It boils my pesh every time I see him on sky sports with that stupid grin and drivel that comes out of his mouth. This idiot has even fooled himself into thinking he’s a good coach.
    He is a buffoon on all levels and any football club with any sense won’t touch him with a stick covered in a brown stuff.
    Lee Charnley has to also take some responsibility for appointing him but mclaren got 80 million quid for players and was responsible for the football side of things which were totally unacceptable. He’ll still have it now that if he were in charge we would’ve stayed up.

previous post: This Former Weakness Now A Masssive Strength At Newcastle