WOW – Former Players Weigh In On Newcastle Performance

Some of our former players – plus Rob Elliot – took to Twitter following last night’s magnificent 6-0 win at Loftus Road – our biggest league win away from home since we hammered Walsall back in 1962.

grant-hanley-ciarn-clark

Grant Hanley hugs Ciaran Clark after scoring

And Rob Elliot recovering from his ACL injury had this to say.

• Laurent Robert 32

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:55 AM

Love the fact we got another one from a corner.

It also shows how utterly clueless a punt to Williamson at the back was, and to do it over and over was shocking.

Great to see defenders get goals and Mitro to get off the mark in his first league start. Hopefully a lot more from him when his fitness and match practice develops.

• Markaccus

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:58 AM

Ian

If you are refering to Jails reply to spoofs post, then it was clearly NOT comparing shelvey to williamson, it was simply stating that, for 5 years, we had no one who was the same type of defender that williamson was (tall, no nonsense lump of limited technique, who did the best he could). Now we have one out and out deep lying playmaker, and no one else in the squad is exactly the same as that. It is the same situation, but this time with a midfeilder rather than a defender. I understood it clearly enough. Haway, man. Don’t imediately try to re start the pointless bickering that goes on here. It’s childish

• hibbit

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:00 AM

a lots being made of the goals and rightly so but to me the clean sheets are every bit as important
    it’s years since we had a defence playing as a unit long may it last

• Rotonda heights

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:00 AM

thanks for the back handed compliment Ian

• Spoof

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Laurent

The rotation does seem to be working at the minute but I still have some long term doubts about it, yes the players are accepting it now but it’s still early days, look at Clark, he’s only played three matches, we’ve won all three conceded just the one goal, he has scored a goal and also got an assist, he possibly feels that he has done enough to justify a run in the side, but he may not get it, and when Colback got recalled he played well but was left out again, some players will lose out and it could cause problems down the line if they aren’t being rotated fairly, if players are playing well all the rotational keep everyone fresh explanations from Rafa will fall on deaf ears in time if some aren’t getting a fair crack of the whip, I not saying that Rafa should abandon it, but I can see problems arising due to it.

• Ian Toon

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:06 AM

Mark- It was an irrelevant comment whereas he could have seen merit in what had been said. It’s taking a negative rather than positive view- in comparing chalk with cheese.

• Ian Toon

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:07 AM

Credit where due- LOL.

• Markaccus

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:08 AM

Hibbit

I think BandB and a couple of others have made the point that, if we are not worried about losing a goal, we attack with so much more confidence (im paraphrasing, but i think that was the gist). Part of that is the fact we are less likely to be punished for mistakes, but, like you say, our defence is becoming a solid unit, so much of this confidence comes from that.

• Markaccus

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:11 AM

Ian,

He wasnt comparing the players, he was comparing the situation. You know that he was. Stop being petty. Jail has been nothing but positive about rafa and nufc since the season started, and the overtone of that actual post was positive. I don’t see why you had to have a dig. There is too much trouble making goes on here. Just stop it. No need.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:14 AM

Ian Toon,
    I wasn’t comparing Williamson to Shelvey in any way shape or form. Spoof was writing a post worrying about losing Shelvey to whatever reason. I was just pointing out that we put up with Willo as our pretty much our main CB for four years, should we really be worrying about only having one Shelvey type player.

• Spoof

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:16 AM

Mark

In fairness Jail was a bit dismissive at my point which I feel is valid, and to be honest after last’s night’s showing I would expect more people to start to look at possible problems which may occur and like myself start to wonder how that problem could be solved, the chances are Rafa has also looked at this and no doubt he will have a solution to it, now people will then say that he is prepared, yet I am being looked upon as being negative, I really don’t get that like.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:16 AM

If the players are going to press and work as hard at winning the ball back as this from now on the defence will not be a worry as teams will struggle to get near our back 4!!

Good to see Perez start to do well now that we have width on either side and Mitrovic to hold it up he now has space in between the lines to strut his stuff!Sure I read somewhere that he is also working in the gym to get stronger ?

• Ian Toon

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:16 AM

Laurent- Makes a good point on Benitez organisation and the ability to change the line up without losing efficiency and overall teamwork. It often happens in league cup games and teams often lose cohesion. A hell of a lot of drilling and repetition has gone into results like last night.
    How many remember the pre season concern expressed by many over zonal marking. The marking from set pieces has been first class.
    I am not going to highlight at a time of clean sheets

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:19 AM

Spoof,
    I wasn’t been dismissive at all, just wondering why you’re worrying about problems that don’t exist yet.

• Markaccus

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Spoof

Yes i understand that, and jails post could certainly be read as a bit dismissive, but it was certainly not how Ian has described it. I am sure you and Jail could have a proper football chat about it, without Ian trying to stir things up into a row.

Incidently, i don’t know if you saw it, but I also replied to you…. if not, i said that Diame could drop back into shelveys role. He is good enough to do that job adiquately imo. We have a few players who could take up the no.10 spot in that instance.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Nobody has come forward to claim their Rafa bingo points yet 😀

• Markaccus

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Spoof

Your post certainly wasn’t negative. It raised a genuine concern.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:22 AM

Spoof,
    And meant to add that someone had mentioned Diane being able to fill the role, evidently it was Markacus.

• Lee Charnley Bunga Party

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:22 AM

I think if Shelvey ended up having to miss games a solution would be to have Atsu and Richie on either wing with Yedlin and Lazaar as the full backs and just have good old fashioned wing play !

• WWSBRD

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Spoof
    If we lose Shelvey Rafa will simply change up the plan mate. Diame can carry the ball forward rather than Shelvey spraying it for example, Hayden will also learn how to be more than a DM under Rafa same with Colback (who used to do well in a more box to box role anyway) hes got options and no doubt he will use them

• Spoof

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Jail

In all honesty yes we should be concerned, it’s not a severe worry but it is something to look at and ask, what would we do, I expressed it as a concern for two reasons, one he is arguably one f our best players and you never want to lose them and two, I don’t see a like for like replacement, how have I failed to make a valid point, I really don’t know what the Williamson point was as I cannot see the similarities of Williamson’s effect on the team, compared to the Shelvey effect on the team and what was/is available to them as cover.

• Markaccus

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Jail

I wonder why. Come the end of the season, you will have a spreadsheet full of zeros.

• Ian Toon

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:23 AM

Jail- Clearly we should because it would involve a change in tactics.
    Fortunately Benitez has the eye for detail you lack.
    If you had expressed yourself badly why not just admit it rather than question what was a good and forward thinking post.
    Just my opinion.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:26 AM

To Barcelona worry about having only one Messi, not comparing Shelvey and Messi mind. Any team misses it’s better players when they don’t play.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:28 AM

Ian Toon,
    I ought to be ashamed that I don’t have the same tactical awareness of a UEFA elite manager.

• WWSBRD

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:29 AM

Jail
    Yeah Ian just owned u there! Ur not as good of a manager as Rafa! Hang ur head sir!

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:31 AM

WW…,
    Rafas not as good as fixings lights as me harumphhh.

• Spoof

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:31 AM

WWS

That was actually the point that I made, due to not having a direct replacement for him we would indeed probably have to change the system which is why I was raising the point, because changing a system which is working as well as it currently is isn’t something that I would want to happen, which is where the slight concern is.

Lets face it the entire league know how well we are doing and if we were forced to change the system then that could only ever be a boost for our opponents, I really don’t see why there is such a fuss, to me it’s a valid point, but we’re all different, I’m sure Rafa has given it some thought, best to be prepared.

• WWSBRD

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:32 AM

Jail
    Ah u have him there, I bet u could take him in a pint downing contest as well

• martoon

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:33 AM

Without sounding negative the Wolves game on Saturday is a bit of a banana skin. After last night’s results we will be expected to win easily but ……………………

• emperor

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:34 AM

Spoof – Rafa has managed big big players at madrid napoli valencia and liverpool, I think the players know hes not here to be their friend but purely to do the best for nufc

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:35 AM

Spoof,
    There wasn’t a fuss until the devisive turd Ian Toon decided to make one of it.

• WWSBRD

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:35 AM

Spoof
    Why would a system change be so bad? Am not making a fuss though just trying to answer ur concern because I dont really understand it rbh Rafa wont have our squad only able to play in 1 way especially if its built around Shelvey who isnt exactly reliable for consistent performances or temperament

• Spoof

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:36 AM

Pint downing contest, I’ll enter that, as long as Jail pays lol.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:37 AM

martoon,
    Thing is though you have 20 odd players all thinking they’re in with a chance of playing on Saturday busting a gut to play. I don’t think standards will drop and Rafa has even talked about such banana skins.

• Markaccus

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:39 AM

Spoof

I dont think anyone is making a fuss about your point. Some of us have tried to offer possible solutions to it. The only fuss has come from a deliberate mis-understanding of another post.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:41 AM

Great to hear him talk about the fact that every player has a chance of making the team, what must the atmosphere been like in the dressing room when the eleven best players had colour codes. The purples looking down their noses at the shitty browns knowing they were playing regardless of what they played like.

• Ron Knee

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:41 AM

Just been looking at some pics of our away supporters at the QPR match. A lot of W*nga shirts on display. Ugh!

• jimmysmith

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:44 AM

If we lost Shelvey he’d be missed, but not at all disastrously. Pick any two out of Hayden, Colback, Anita, Diame and Tiote if he stays, and play them behind Perez or Diame, in this league, surrounded by the players we have and we’ll more than match any opposition.

• Ian Toon

Sep 14, 2016 at 9:44 AM

WW – Ha ha for once Yer right!

Jail- what differentiates respective managerial quality is anticipating a problem before it arises. It’s John Carver: Rafa Benitez.
    On you I have recommended various reading material. Like the club’s historian The Keegan Years. Your point yesterday I didn’t live through the Second World War but I know all about it. Likewise with NUFC history stop being so patronising and dismissive.

Mark- That’s the second time you have criticised my input and then totally agreed with another poster on precisely my point.
    3 strikes and your out Buster!