The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Star Admits To Frustration – He’s Not Fit Enough

9:37 pm, Thursday, September 15th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

Aleksandar Mitrovic was banned for the first four games of the season, so he has not played many games for Newcastle so far this term.

But he started the game on Tuesday night at Loftus Road and he finally got on the scoring charts with Newcastle’s 5th goal in the 6-0 rout of QPR.

He also had a very good header brilliantly saved by goalkeeper Alex Smithies in the second half.

aleksandar-mitrovic-afetr-scoring-qpr

Aleksandar Mitrovic after scoring at Loftus Road

Aleksandar has been interviewed in the local press and he has admitted he’s been frustrated this season and is still not fully fit:

“It has been a really frustrating few weeks for me, and it has been hard for me to keep my head right,”

“But I always knew I would come through OK and the game against QPR proves that.”

“It has been hard for me to stay strong in my head, but I knew I just had to wait for my chance and everything would be OK.”

“It was a really amazing night.” “We got everything we wanted, and it felt like pretty much like every time we got the ball, we were going forward and looking like we were going to score.”

“We scored six goals, but I actually thought we could have got even more because we had shots that hit the crossbar and their goalkeeper made a couple of good saves.”

“Every single player was really amazing, and it was a great mood in the dressing room when we came in after the game.”

“I think you could see from the game that I am still not 100% there.” “Physically, my fitness is still not quite at the best level, where I want it to be.”

“I still need a couple more games to get my best level back. I will get there though.”

“Some guys have played six or seven games, this was just my second game of the season and by the end, it was getting harder and harder to run.”

“I just need to keep working hard, and then every game will be better and better.”

“I feel like I can definitely score goals at this level.”  “I know I still have to improve, particularly with my fitness, but I am confident I can score goals this season and help Newcastle win games.”

“It obviously helps because I have a lot of good players around me, and that’s important for everybody. ”

“There is good competition up front as well, which is good. There’s Dwight Gayle, Ayoze Perez and now Daryl Murphy as well.”

“I like that. We will push each other and get better, which can only be good. “You just have to look around the dressing room to see that we have a good team.”

“The gaffer is trying to give a chance to everyone. Nobody knows who will play, so you have to give your best in every game.”

It’s fairly obvious Mitro just needs games to get match fit – so we’ll have to wait and see if he gets another start on Saturday against Wolves.

Newcastle have with Dwight Gayle, Daryl Murphy and Ayoze Perez all able to play up front and Daryl has yet to make his debut for Newcastle.

Wolves may look an easy game after the QPR performance but the lads cannot take anything for granted and they have to be at or near their best to get the 3 points on Saturday.

We cannot have any slip-ups this season.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Wolves?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Aleksandar Mitrovic · Championship · Coaching · Fitness · Newcastle News

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 15, 2016 at 9:41 PM

kinda nice being able to look forward to games, rather than wondering what the excuses will be after it…

should enjoy this season, and use it to (hopefully) prepare for ascent to the prem….

• 2 Hail Wor Ashley // Sep 15, 2016 at 9:42 PM

Frank De Boer – done nothing in the game to warrant the fawning of some of our fans who were calling for him here, currently watching his Inter team 2-0 down at home to Hapoel Beer-Sheva.

• 3 beermonkey // Sep 15, 2016 at 9:46 PM

Ibiza

we have a team that tries and proven winner as our manager

as for pulis he will be first out the door

• 4 Ron Knee // Sep 15, 2016 at 9:52 PM

Pulkrab – what a great name!

• 5 Budge123 // Sep 15, 2016 at 9:53 PM

Hopefully Mitro will have realised that the reason he’s not played as much as others and isn’t game fit is purely his own stupid fault from his ‘aggression ‘getting the better of him.

If he’s learnt to control that then I think he can be a key player for us this year and beyond. If he hasn’t and can’t control it I can see Rafa showing him the exit door.

• 6 mindshaft // Sep 15, 2016 at 9:58 PM

I don’t give a monkeys about pulis or whoever else
    we’ve got rid of first 11 mentality so players know they aren’t guaranteed to start – hey ho, nobody’s doing a sick note

• 7 jimmysmith // Sep 15, 2016 at 10:11 PM

Rafa bingo. Mbemba for Clark, Diame for Perez, and Atsu for Gouffran against Wolves this weekend. Then wholesale changes against them midweek.

• 8 Jib // Sep 15, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Shoot

I thought I had it sussed

I studied these fotos of the last training session before QPR.

Aha – says I – to meself.

The lads wearing Catapult GPS trackers are the ones selected to start.

Wrong !

Back to the drawing board.

🙁

• 9 Average_Contents // Sep 15, 2016 at 10:16 PM

What’s that? Competition for places?

That used to be a swear word in the corridors of power at nufc not so long ago.

One of the deciding factors in our downfall imo.

Let’s face it, we’d been circling the plughole for years and then the inevitable happened.

Thank fcuk for rafa eh. Silver lining n all that.

Ibiza

Fcukoff with your OV shite will ya.

Giz a free hol ya ball and bat.

• 10 jimmysmith // Sep 15, 2016 at 10:26 PM

Gouffran has a great physique for this league. Hes like a big middleweight. That physical presence on the ball, in the challenge, running off the ball both ways gives him a real edge over a player like Atsu I think, whose slightness and pace gives him the advantage on the ball in the final third but not elsewhere. I suspect Gouffran will be more involved this season. I also think Perez will be the go to number 10 this season ahead of Diame, who might be asked to play in a few different positions.

• 11 Jib // Sep 15, 2016 at 10:36 PM

I think Mo Diamé may be one of the players Rafa is refering to when talking about differing recovery rates.

Someone said that the lad blew hot and cold.

It could just be that he plays such a high tempo game that he cannot be expected to play as regularly as others.

• 12 manxpie // Sep 16, 2016 at 12:17 AM

diame against derby hardly ran and still looked knackered so was glad he was rotated against qpr no high intensity at all in fact if that was shola on the pitch he would of got dogs abuse

i hope he buys into what the rest of the squad seems to have and that was a wake up call for himself

also thanks novo for that earlier vid brilliantly done(plus the camera guy had an uncanny knack of catching every goal and good bit!!) and actually showed a lot more of mitro and his pace and closing down and great link up play too (plus the camera guy had an uncanny knack of catching every goal and good bit!!)
    looks far fitter than last season so i imagine rafa got on top of that straight away with him and shelvey

i just hope the squad keep it up and no possible bad apples rise to the surface as that could cause trouble

• 13 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 16, 2016 at 12:56 AM

Ibiza

If your’e still around, I mentioned Spain because you intimated you’d like to retire there and I was thinking, if it doesn’t have nuclear power stations it might be a better place to live. I just got a bit upset as I truly think they are an unnecessary curse and somehow I dragged them into my rant. I’ll stop there as I believe Ed doesn’t want this type of stuff on the blog even if it does end up destroying all life in the UK.

• 14 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 16, 2016 at 1:00 AM

I said in an earlier comment that Gouffron is a Rob Lee sort of player, puts in a good shift and gets the goals when needed.

• 15 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 16, 2016 at 1:05 AM

Once again I’m rabbiting into a deserted blog, so off to the land of nod where I’ll dream of Goofy’s hat trick against Wolves this weekend as we get back to back 6-0 wins.

Goodnight to any one still around.

• 16 manxpie // Sep 16, 2016 at 1:09 AM

essex i’m pretty sure most highly populated rich countries have nuclear power plants tbh i’m sure tuff or jib will prove me wrong but its the way the world is going the uk have quite a few already including one i can see from my shores!

• 17 lesh // Sep 16, 2016 at 2:07 AM

Yes Manx and the nuclear station you can see will ensure that the Irish Sea’s fish and other delights are nicely cooked before they’re landed!

• 18 loonie-toon // Sep 16, 2016 at 5:18 AM

If any one bought the sky sports pass on now TV sat to watch the game there was a fault trying to buy it they sorted before the game I just checked my emails and now TV have giving me a voucher for monthly pass of sky sports

• 19 loonie-toon // Sep 16, 2016 at 5:41 AM

And any one got the app everyfan??

• 20 Lindisfarne // Sep 16, 2016 at 5:48 AM

James Rodriguez seems to be unrequired by Madrid, I wonder if Rafa could do a deal.

• 21 stephen1971 // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:10 AM

a bit of sissokos interview

Sissoko signed a five-year deal with Spurs after talks with manager Mauricio Pochettino. “He told me he knows me, he knows how I play,” the French international explained. “So he wanted me to come here to show what I did at Newcastle, and to try to help the team to its objectives. That’s why I came here. We had a good chat together so I’m happy to work with him.

he wants to show at spurs what he showed at newcastle , my my thats them doomed

• 22 LGFUAD21 // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:18 AM

JFA

Late response. I wish i could say its because i am a lifeguard or a baywatch fan.

The truth is that Jib got it spot on.

When i was about 16 i was a huge fan of the band Motion City Soundtrack and struggling to find a username for some other site. I happened to be listening to a song called LGFUAD so i chose it and added my lucky number to the end.

Somehow that name has become my de facto username for most things now. 12 years on its still in use.

• 23 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:30 AM

LG,
    I see, although I’d say Google got it spot on rather than Jib, he doesn’t get much spot on at all without his favourite search engine 😀

• 24 G // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:32 AM

@22, I always thought it was ‘Dance’ at the end. Fair enough.

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:34 AM

Talking about being spot on here’s my confirmed Rafa bingo line up.
    Sels
    Anita Lascelles Mbemba Dummet
    Ritchie Shelvey Hayden Gouffran
    Mitrovich Gayle.

• 26 sing in the corner // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:40 AM

LGFUAD21
    Blimey, I’d hate to try an crack your passwords! 🙂

• 27 firebug666 // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:43 AM

Confirmed Rafa bingo line up.

Sels

Anita……Mbemba……Lascelles……Dummet

Ritchie……Shelvey……Colback…..Gouffran

Perez

Gayle

That’ll be 5 points in the bag for me Jail. 😀

• 28 hibbit // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:51 AM

Moussa Sissoko has claimed that he joined Spurs instead of Everton because the Merseyside club dithered over the £30m transfer and could not offer Champions League football (Telegraph)

• 29 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:52 AM

FB,
    Until he throws a grenade in by chucking Tiote in there 😮

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:54 AM

hibbitt,
    Not because they were a club of his dreams then.

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 8:03 AM

So what’s going to happen to Tiote then, is he in the bad books for turning down offers, does Rafa try and fit him in knowing they’ll try to flog him. Luckily we’ve got Rafa on the case and not a Mcardew.

• 32 firebug666 // Sep 16, 2016 at 8:12 AM

Jail

On Tiote, it’s anyone guess, I suspect he is lurking in the background hiding in the shadows until January.

His wage demands must be gigantic given all the wives he has to support, nee wonda he cannet get a job!

previous post: Can Newcastle Make It 7 Successive Wins Against Wolves?

next post: Star Player Talks Of His Big Ambitions At Newcastle