The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

History Tells Us Newcastle Must Be Wary Of Tomorrow’s Game

2:19 pm, Friday, September 16th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 79 Comments

In his press commence today Rafa Benitez has done a good job at reducing the expectations for the game against Wolves tomorrow.

Wolves were beaten 4-0 at home in mid-week by Barnsley, but Rafa has watched that game (probably more than once) and he says it was a close game and not what the scoreline suggests.

rafa-benitez-one-finger-up-300x202

Rafa Benitez – we want to be number one?

He again repeated his mantra that we must respect every single Championship side.

The league didn’t get its deserved reputation for being really tough because teams are pushovers – far from it.

Here are some comments from the manager’s press conference today:

“We have nothing special injury wise from Tuesday night.” “I don’t think Daryl or Lazaar will play.”  “We have 18 players and we have the game on Tuesday, so maybe they will play Tuesday.”

“We will see what happens in the first game and then decide. Some of the players not playing deserve to play in that second game and we will play a strong team on Tuesday.”

“The team was good and we tried to improve the squad during the summer. When I decided to stay it was because I had confidence in our players and in everything, the city the fans, everybody here.”

“Everyone is trying to help, that is the main thing. We have a city behind the team.”

“I was very clear that every game is different. The Championship is a tough competition and we have to be ready for the next game.”

“We have enjoyed these couple of days and we have trained, prepared for the game, but we have to respect the team.”

“I watched Wolves’ game against Barnsley and they were 0-0 at 72 minutes and they had two or three chances.”

“We have to forget about that result because a lot of fans might expect this game to be easy. It will be tough and we know they are a good team.”

We’ll be very happy with another win tomorrow – delighted in fact.

John Gibson in the Chronicle reminded us all yesterday of what happened back in the 1992-1993 season.

We won the first 11 games under Kevin Keegan in what was then called the First Division; the Premier League had started in that same season.

On 18th October 992 we had just taken Sunderland apart 2-1 at their place and we were playing Grimsby Town at home the following week – an easy game.

We lost it 1-0 and the following week we lost 2-1 at Leicester City.

So it’s times when everything is going really well when things can go very wrong.

Right now is such a time and that’s why the lads have to be very wary about tomorrow’s game.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Wolves?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Championship · Management · Newcastle News · Other News · Poll · Press · Press Conference

79 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 2:26 PM

“Rafas bingo you need all eleven.
    No prizes for guessing five, six or seven”

• 2 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 16, 2016 at 2:27 PM

Even more Mackems clogging up the site.

Notice that Rafa said he didn’t think those two players play, not that they definitely wouldn’t, bit of Rafaology perhaps!

• 3 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 16, 2016 at 2:28 PM

‘would play’

• 4 beermonkey // Sep 16, 2016 at 2:30 PM

jail

rafa bingo

sels
    anita hanley clark dummet
    heyden shelvey
    Yedlin perez goofy
    mitro

• 5 outside the box // Sep 16, 2016 at 2:31 PM

jfa
    great minds think alike was going to go for gayle in place of gouffran ….but changed mind ….reckon odds are about 1.5 million to one…

• 6 Malackay // Sep 16, 2016 at 2:32 PM

Jail for Ashley :

No I haven’t. But I like Bingo and love Rafa so I think I’d enjoy it! How do I get involved? 🙂

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 2:35 PM

Hanley and Clark beer, that’ll definitely put you in the lead if that comes in!

• 8 beermonkey // Sep 16, 2016 at 2:43 PM

jail

clark started the last game and hanley was a 65 min sub

he can also then field his preferred pair in cup in mbemba and laschells
    when the chances are he will field gamez and lazaar at full back
    I don’t want to say weak but untested
    just a little logical thinking that’s bound to be wrong lol

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 2:44 PM

Malackay,
    Post your line up with the words my confirmed Rafa bingo line up. That’s just so we know your not just discussing a line up but putting in your bingo card. If you think you’ve won, let me know after the line up has been announced with the thread and post number, once I’ve checked it out I’ll stick your name on an XL spread sheet with five points.

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 2:46 PM

Are bookies giving odds for a correct team, too easy to fiddle I suppose.

• 11 outside the box // Sep 16, 2016 at 2:56 PM

jail
    confirmed bingo line up
    sells
    anita mbemba lascelles dummett
    hayden shelvey
    ritchie diame gouffran
    mitro…

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 3:00 PM

Otb,
    If that comes in there’ll be a couple of joint leaders. I bet he throws in a stunning grenade and we see Tiote start!

• 13 Shadow_Shearer // Sep 16, 2016 at 3:03 PM

Because we won 6-0 over qpr, it still doesn’t make the championship easy. Remember the first two games??

These 5 or 6 nil games will only be once in a while, the rest of the games we will scrape 1 nil, maybe two nil. That’s where 90% of our points & wins are gonna come from.
    futher more is these narrow wins are gonna come from moments of magic like gouffy volley, shelvey free kick, lascelle header.

So I’m not expecting any easy games, not even tomorrow. I’m sure rafa is aware of this, he wouldn’t be playing it down if he wasnt

• 14 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Sep 16, 2016 at 3:10 PM

rafa bingo

sels
    anita hanley mbemba dummet
    hayden shelvey
    Ritchie diame yedlin
    gayle

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 3:11 PM

Shadow,
    I think you’re underestimating us, there’ll be a few games where we don’t play particularly well for whatever reason, weather conditions, shitty pitch etc and scrape a win but I think a majority of games we’ll dominate. We got a shock at Fulham and had very limited options up front and got taken completely by surprise by the, still league leaders, confidence was down against Reading and we put four past them. As our confidence grows many games will have been won before the game kicks off, especially at SJP.

• 16 Mister Tuff // Sep 16, 2016 at 3:12 PM

Having a bit of bother with the computer today -some letters appear not to be displaying correctly.

Jib Jibberish your earlier effort at a joke (as below) was not very funny at all and I’m, not sure about your English grammar.

“Jib // Sep 16, 2016 at 1:59 PM
    Betty
    I once had a peanus stuck up my ass.
    I took some laxative chocolate.
    It came out a treet.”

• 17 Chancel be a fine thing // Sep 16, 2016 at 3:13 PM

I think Rafa bingo is genius; a casino’s wet dream. I looked up how to calculate lottery odds earlier and applied this to Rafa bingo. So odds of picking 11 out of 26 are: 7 726 160 to 1. This is just a random selection and doesn’t take in consideration of position as with Jib’s earlier post.

• 18 Mister Tuff // Sep 16, 2016 at 3:21 PM

Chancel – think that is the only way to do it – 1gk and 10 outfield players -regardless of positions.

Jib Jibberish – do not bother to work this out -you’ll get mixed up once you’ve counted your thumbs a few times.

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 3:22 PM

Chancel,
    Funny that because Mcardew bingo, it was 10-1 to get the right team, the only banana skin was Colback or Anita.

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 3:22 PM

*10-1 ON.

• 21 JP...from The Rock // Sep 16, 2016 at 3:29 PM

Jail.. Here’s my 5 points then..

——————-Sels——————–

Anita M’bember Lascelles Dummet
    Shelvey Hayden
    Ritchie Perez Gouffran
    Mitro

• 25 Average_Contents // Sep 16, 2016 at 3:52 PM

Jfa

My confirmed rafa bingo lineup (did post it earlier on but obviously got fcuked off lol)

Sels
    Anita Mbemba Lascellas Dummett
    Colback Shelvey
    Ritchie Diame Gouffran
    Gayle

• 26 Average_Contents // Sep 16, 2016 at 3:53 PM

Obviously that’s what I think rafa will select. I’m hoping hayden is in place of Colback though.

• 27 chicousa // Sep 16, 2016 at 3:59 PM

jail
    confirmed bingo line up

Sels
    Anita, Mmemba, Lascelles, Lazaar
    Hayden, Shelvy
    Atsu, Diame, Ritchie
    Gayle

…I know Rafa said Lazaar would not play, but think he just might be having a go!

• 28 Chancel be a fine thing // Sep 16, 2016 at 4:04 PM

I see the chronic have stolen the Rafa bingo idea, claiming the got it from a Liverpool fanzine…. yeh, right.

• 29 Jib // Sep 16, 2016 at 4:06 PM

Todays training session

Maybe some clus for the bingo – players

• 30 Jib // Sep 16, 2016 at 4:07 PM

clues even

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 4:29 PM

Chancel,
    They haven’t called it Rafa bingo have they, I’ll be on the phone to my solicitor.

• 32 Chancel be a fine thing // Sep 16, 2016 at 4:34 PM

Jail
    All but the name, they’ve even copied your prize.

• 33 SPRINGY // Sep 16, 2016 at 5:15 PM

may look like a plum, but as ive barely been on here the last few days..whats the craic with the rafa bingo like?lol

• 34 Legolas // Sep 16, 2016 at 5:33 PM

Confirmed Rafa bingo line up.

Sels
    Anita Mbemba Lascelles Dummett
    Ritchie Hayden Shelvey Perez
    Gale
    Mitrovic

Definitely, a winner this time. I have had a day full of bad luck, so my much has to change. Lol.

• 35 Legolas // Sep 16, 2016 at 5:33 PM

Luck. Hate predictive text.

• 36 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 5:37 PM

SPRINGY,
    Seems post 9

• 37 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 5:45 PM

Legolas,
    I’ve had to go predictive text because my red underline function doesn’t work on the S6. Pain in the Arsenal? But better than spelling tye ans tge all the time 😮

• 38 Legolas // Sep 16, 2016 at 5:55 PM

Jail,

Ha ha. I know. Its just if you don’t read it first before sending it can make you look a bit silly.

• 39 Hail Wor Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 5:55 PM

Rafa bingo entry

_______________Sels_______________
    Anita___Mbemba___Lascelles___Dummett
    ________Shelvey___Hayden
    Yedlin_________Diame________Ritchie
    ______________Gayle

3-0 win!

• 40 WWSBRD // Sep 16, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Problem with what Rafa says is that…

We’re Newcastle and we’re gonna p the league,
    We’re gonna p the league,
    We’re gonna p the league,

• 41 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 6:20 PM

WW…,
    All this tosh about us getting spanked if we were a PL club, there’s a carefully assembled PL team we’ve got, I’m not sure if all the squad of 30 would get in to a PL team but our best eleven what ever that may be, would get in to a lot of PL teams.

• 42 Spotlight Kid // Sep 16, 2016 at 6:23 PM

‘On 18th October 992 we had just taken Sunderland apart 2-1 at their place and we were playing Grimsby Town at home the following weekI know it has been a long time since beating Sunderland away, but I didn’t realise it was that long, Ed.

• 43 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 6:27 PM

Spotlight,
    It was just before Oswald of Gloucestershire was pronounced Arch Duke of Wessex!

• 44 WWSBRD // Sep 16, 2016 at 6:27 PM

JfA
    Yeah I dont buy that either, even in the PL we’d be alright barring our strikers imo, certainly wouldnt be a whipping boy especially under Rafa

• 45 estechco // Sep 16, 2016 at 6:32 PM

Anita Mbemba Lascelles Dummett
    Shelvey Colback
    Yedlin Diamé Ritchie
    Nitro

• 47 Spotlight Kid // Sep 16, 2016 at 6:42 PM

Jail@43
    “Ah yes, Ah remember eet well…..!”
    (sung in post-1066 Norman-esque tones)

• 48 beermonkey // Sep 16, 2016 at 6:58 PM

jail / ww

where do u reckon our current team would finish in the prem ??

• 49 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:04 PM

Bookie on BBC Neecastle from
    Ladsbust are offering odds on the toon-
    9/2 to beat the record 103 points for season
    7/2 to score more than 100 goals this season
    an1000/1 to win every game left in the Champipnship season

• 50 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:07 PM

There are a good few entries the same as estechos, I think it’s the Chronicle one as well. All it takes is a Tiote or Hanley or Yedlin at RBvand everyone is up the spout

• 51 welshgeordie9 // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:12 PM

I will put my line up in even though jail dosent think I’m a fan.

Jail just for you

confirmed bingo line up

sels
    anita mbemba lascelles dummett
    hayden shelvey
    ritchie diame gouffran
    mitrovic

• 52 jimnufc // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:12 PM

sels
    anita mbemba lascelles dummet
    hayden
    Ritchie shelvey gayle goufran
    Murphy

• 53 beermonkey // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:19 PM

are Swansea wums allowed to play

• 54 Legolas // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:21 PM

Just watched Mane and Carragher have race on sky sports. Hilarious.

• 55 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:21 PM

Jim nufc,
    For future reference and to avoid confusion when the title race heats up, can you put confirmed Rafa bingo line up 🙂

• 56 welshgeordie9 // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:21 PM

beermonkey

I don’t know any swans wums, do you.

• 57 welshgeordie9 // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:25 PM

Me being a fan who’s a fan and not from Newcastle is no different to a person who’s from Newcastle that either don’t live there or lives abroad.

• 58 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:25 PM

beer,
    I suppose so, if carl is allowed a line up as long as he gets it in before the rest of his monikers, be a bit unfair to not let squelch play!

• 59 beermonkey // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:30 PM

welsh

not in person no
    but we are plagued with one on here

• 60 welshgeordie9 // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:33 PM

If I wasn’t a fan or a wum i wouldn’t be nagging my mate to get a ticket and also drive 6 or 7 hours to get to a match, how many fans who’s not from Newcastle would do that.

• 61 beermonkey // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:36 PM

welsh

loads

• 62 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:37 PM

WW…,
    Really hard to answer, if this current team had of started as badly as we did in the PL it might struggle to pick back up. But this team with a season of winning games under it’seems belt would give a lot of teams a good go and I think we’d finish higher than Bournemouth or Watford for sure. But this is where it’s hard to answer, if we went in to the PL without buying anyone we’d struggle as I think you need to bring in new faces every window as 2012 proved.

• 63 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:38 PM

Is that for the Middlesborough game squelch?

• 64 welshgeordie9 // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Hopefully Chelsea will win tonight and Gini to have a stinker, the problem I think Liverpool has got is that in their lineup they are all attacking players, Klopp has got to try and keep them all happy, their bench is not the strongest, couple of injuries and they will be in trouble,

• 65 welshgeordie9 // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Beermonkey

That’s debatable.

• 66 Jib // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Match facts
    After losing this season’s first two matches, Newcastle have won five straight league games, netting 15 goals.
    Following Tuesday’s 4-0 home defeat by Barnsley, Wolves have not kept a clean sheet in any of their last 11 away league games.
    Newcastle have conceded just one goal in the second half of Championship games this season – two fewer than any other team.
    Walter Zenga’s Wolves have failed to find the net in three of their last five league games.
    Newcastle are unbeaten in their last six league meetings with Wolves, since a 1-0 defeat at Molineux in April 1993.
    Wolves have scored in each of their last 10 league games against Newcastle, although they have only kept one clean sheet in that time.

• 67 welshgeordie9 // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:41 PM

Jail

How the frig can it be Middlesbrough.

• 68 WWSBRD // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:42 PM

beer
    I reckon between 10th and 15th depending on the fixture luck

• 69 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:43 PM

Sorry squelch, Middlesbrough is only five or six and half hours from Swansea not six or seven!

• 70 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:45 PM

beer,
    @62 was for you

• 71 WWSBRD // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:46 PM

Jail
    Aye fixture list would have an affect but I think Rafa could keep us up without buying BUT no way would he let that happen, I don’t think there will be another huge turn over when we are promoted though

• 72 Legolas // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:47 PM

Welsh,

I am not trying to stir anything seriously, but why do you support Newcastle? I know you mentioned a few days ago you wouldn’t explain again but I am just curious. I really doesn’t matter to me and I am happy for anyone from anywhere to support the best club in the world but just curious.

• 73 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:48 PM

It’s also worth pointing out that this team hasn’t been assembled to compete in the PL but to get us promoted, we may have signed Van Dijk and Kone had we been in the PL.

• 74 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:49 PM

WW…,
    I don’t either, I think there’ll be four max brought in next summer.

• 75 welshgeordie9 // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:50 PM

Jail

It’s still a long journey which ever way you look at it.

• 76 beermonkey // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:53 PM

jail

I agree we would have to add u need to freshen things up each summer if not each window

not sure where we would finish right now but don’t think we would go down but that has a lot to do with the way rafa has us organised and playing

as we are a young team we will benefit from a season of winning then bring on the prem

• 77 Jail for Ashley // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:55 PM

If, after 23 games in the Championship this team was put in the PL with ten points and 19 games to go, I think we’d get the magic forty.

• 78 welshgeordie9 // Sep 16, 2016 at 7:59 PM

Legolas

I will keep it short and sweet, I’ve always been a fan of Sir Bobby Robson when i was a kid, so when he became the Newcastle manager i kept an eye on what he was doing there, the football Newcastle played under him was a joy to watch, so then when you have got a fantastic manager, players, stadium and a massive fan base then it’s no brainer really, so despite what some on here think I love Newcastle just as much as love the swans, perhaps I shouldn’t mention swans on here but i will certainly chat about Newcastle.

• 79 Legolas // Sep 16, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Welsh,

Fair play. As I say doesn’t matter to me where you are from. If you say you support Newcastle its good enough for me.

previous post: Rafa Benitez Warns Of Unexpected Wolves Threat