Benitez Bemoans Poor Performance – It Was A Bad Day

This was always going to be banana type of game today and there was a lot written about it before today’s game that after the fantastic win there could be a let-down.

Back in 1992 Kevin Keegan went 11 successive wins in the then League One (England second division) with the last win being a 2-1 victory at Sunderland and the next game was at home to lowly Grimbsby Town – and we lost that game 1-0 and that broke the 11 game winning streak.

It seems like today our players were nowhere near their top form and certainly put in a very poor performance compared to what they did at Loftus Road on Tuesday night.

You talk about inconsistency!

rafa-benitez-not-happy

Rafa Benitez – not happy at all with the performance

But we cannot have too many of these let-downs this season where we basically gift the game to the opposition and certainly not at St. James’ Park in front of over 52,000 fans – that’s not good at all.

Rafa was asked if he thought his players had allowed themselves to be carried away by Tuesday’s massive win – this is how he answered that:

“No, I don’t think so because we were talking about that the day after, we were talking about that the day before, we were talking about that today, so they knew how important it was to be concentrated and then do the right things.”

“But it’s more about the decisions.” “The football decisions were wrong and then we put ourselves under pressure.”

“It’s a bad day, but we have to analyze what was wrong and try to change it.” “It’s not that you have to forget – you have to forget, but try to understand why and try to correct things as soon as possible.”

“You have to change players, but we did it before and we were winning. Today it was just doing from the beginning a lot of things wrong, that’s it.”

“The good thing when you have another game soon is that you can try to do things in the same way that you were doing before.” “This is the league, the next one will be the cup competition.”

“We are not very happy now and we have to concentrate on the next game and try to do things in the same way that we did before.”

“You have to change players, but we did it before and we were winning.” “Today it was just doing from the beginning a lot of things wrong, that’s it.”

Our players must recover from this and quickly too – and get a grip on things.

These things happen in football, but it’s the way you react to the adversity that separates the men from the boys.

We had too many of these painful results last season, so we don’t want too many of them this term.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Wolves?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Ron Knee

Sep 17, 2016 at 7:42 PM

“It’s a bad day, but we have to analyze what was wrong and try to change it.”

I’m sure he will.

• BandB

Sep 17, 2016 at 7:45 PM

People do have opinions, and precious little time for anyone else’s.
    It’s hardly worth complaining that the team keeps replaying the old seemingly inexplicable failures to turn up if the fans are equally prone to swinging from despair to gloating and back.
    The two seem linked.
    What happened today was not 100-1 shot of even a 10-1 shot, even after Tuesday night. It was about par for the course. A corner that isn’t quite turned, as we see.
    Yet after that game, the banner of “unbeaten for the remaining games” was quickly and smugly unfurled, along with sneering at any predictions that this season could still turn out to be less than a coronation.
    You will only see today as an unfathomable defeat if you saw in Tuesday’s performance a squad that could be top ten in the Premier League without any upgrades.

PS…. Shelvey will always be brilliant when he is allowed to play his own game and less so when he isn’t.

• firebug666

Sep 17, 2016 at 7:50 PM

From Previous

WWSBRD

I think today was just another blip, some of our players may have been tired, and maybe a little complacent, this allowed Wolves to get hold of the game and we didn’t recover.

I have no doubt we will bounce back a whole lot stronger on Tuesday and bury some doubts. with Gouffran on the left, Perez in the middle and Richie on the right we should be OK.

I think I would prefer to play two strikers in a 4-4-2 like, but I doubt that’s Rafa’s intention.

Ron

I’m sure he will too.

• welshgeordie9

Sep 17, 2016 at 7:51 PM

If one person says one thing one time and says the complete opposite next time on the same matter then that’s not an opinion that’s talking crap, end of.

People can’t tell the difference that’s the point I’m making.

• welshgeordie9

Sep 17, 2016 at 7:52 PM

Anyway not spending all evening explaining.

• welshgeordie9

Sep 17, 2016 at 7:53 PM

Next weekend should be interesting, villa away, six games without a win.

• firebug666

Sep 17, 2016 at 7:58 PM

Jib

May I just say that like you I never watched the match so I cannot comment on what Lascelles did or did not say to players, or if he gave Perez a piercing look or not.

I wish I could be psychic like you and have such a vast insight into what he did and did not do, but alas I shall have to rely on radio commentary.

• firebug666

Sep 17, 2016 at 7:58 PM

Welshie

There you go you just made my case for me. It’s far easier for you to just say the poster is talking rubbish or crap than it is to construct an argument and debate the issue.

At least there is one positive, you have restored my faith in human nature marra, nothing changes with you does it.

• Thump

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:00 PM

Shelvey had an absolute stinker today. Once again it was a case of the opposition closing us down and we panicked whenever we had the ball in anything other than open space.

Some interesting decisions from the referee, mind. My favourite being a throw in that was deemed offside.

• firebug666

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Thump

I agree on Shelvey, he needs plenty of space and time to think before he can make a decent pass, he was frustrating everyone today when hoofing the ball out of play time after time and giving up possession.

• YoungMagpieFromBurnley

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Just going to forget about this result and move on. A disappointing loss for sure but I’m certain Rafa can turn it around.

• Jib

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:09 PM

To those of you from foriegn shores.

A link to watch the Cship highlights

NCIS at the moment

the highlights show in less than an hour (2100hrs UK)

• WWSBRD

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:09 PM

firebug
    Yeah am with u on that, it’s a blip and we will see more no doubt but there will be more good than bad days moving forward

Jib
    I’ll pass on ur insults buddy

Still not answering the captain question or my other question about why Lascelles being dropped has anything to do with ur original comments?

We weren’t quick to question Colos leadership he got quite a long time in the role before questions were asked. Also no matter what how good a captain is when everyone is having a bad day ur team can still lose, that’s football

If u think Lasvelles is a poor captain then say it don’t blame his age

• Thump

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:13 PM

@firebug: Ah, see he wasn’t hoofing the ball out of play, he was just trying to pull off 90 yard hollywood passes. I can see why people would think he was just hoofing it out of play as it happened every bloody time, Jonjo. Every. Bloody. Time.

Or his daft little dinks into Gayle (which inevitably found only the head of a Wolves defender).

Not sure if he was tired and that’s what slowed down his thinking, or if they were all a bit complacent off the back of a 6-0 drubbing, but it was a poor game all around by us.

• firebug666

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:20 PM

Thump

On reflection you may be right about Shelvey being tired, that could have been the reason he was putting his boot through every long ball.

Personally I think (whatever the reason) giving up possession so easily, and the mistakes at the back frustrated our players, and we were on the back foot from the off, I think that frustration started to come out more as the game progressed, almost had Richie sent off, and did it for Anita.

All in all I think it was a game we were never going to get back into.

• cyprus

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:33 PM

Didn’t watch the game so I can’t comment on play, apart from what I read.

I am not a Shelvey fan (in fact the opposite), but I hope with Rafa he’ll get it together.

On the game, the euphoria from QPR shouted for a result like this. After all this is NUFC, that’s what we do.

• magscar

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Just back in after match and still annoyed at the poor performance. No way was it going to be a walk over just because of Tuesday’s results but I did expect to see some football.

We were so poor in possession and Mbemba and Dummett in particular ( and even Lascelles) gifted ball to Wolves several times when not under pressure.

Diame and Gayle didn’t turn up again and the arrival of Mitro did little to change things.

Struggle to name a MOM but probably Anita until he got sent off for a wild but not malicious challenge when frustration had been breaking out. Not only him but Ritchie and Shelvey were getting wound up beforehand. Referee didn’t help and as usual fell for loads of falls from what was mainly a robust Wolves side. Without the benefit of replays and not having read anything yet there was an incident in first half when Gayle was bursting through the centre and appeared to have been hit in face by a flying arm – nothing given – anyone else there see it?

Took him 2 mins to issue yellows by moving away from incidents ( as did player) then calling him back to him – Wolves loved it having started time wasting from throw ins from about 3rd minute.

We have to stop gifting sides goals as we did again today. Oh SEls nearly through one in the net to make it 3!!!

Not end of world but really disappointing – made 3 home games so far this season and we have contrived to lose 2 of them ( was on holiday for Reading game).

Lets put this behind us and go on another unbeaten run 🙂

• welshgeordie9

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:43 PM

firebug

I will ask you a question but i will say it in another way.

Do you think we should win or play well in every game in the championship, if you say no then you have answerd my comments that I’ve made this evening.

• firebug666

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Welshie

I struggle to get your point, but lets try this.

If we play well then we are more likely to win the game, as the other team will have to play even better to stop us.

But what has that got to do with you calling another posters opinion rubbish or crap?

If I say “No” then what questions have I answered?

• jazzyp

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Just got back home from the 3 hr journey back down the A1 lads. And have to say what a pile of Sh@te that was.
    Was like the Huddersfield game all over again. And without trying to single anyone out, I thought Perez was yet again garbage.
    I appreciate everyone has a bad day at the office, But to many games is he ineffective and offers nothing.

I would say Shelvey was 50 50 on his pass ratio. Some sublime,Others shocking.
    The crowd apart from the first 10 minutes was out sung all game by the Wolves fans, Who were quite vocal throughout .

All in all lads a day to forget

• firebug666

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:51 PM

jazzyp

In defence of Perez he is not a winger, neither left or right though marginally better on the right. He is best suited to the No10 role.

But aye it seems the whole team were woeful especially Mbemba.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:52 PM

Yes Lascalles had a decent game decent game but O did not see a leader out there today when we needed it.
    That is three games/losses this season when we have gone behind we done seem to have any idea how to get back in the game

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:54 PM

Just read the report from NUFC.com and it really does sound like we were garbage, it’s inexplicable why the three forwards were so non existent. I was talking to a couple of lads I haven’t seen for awhike today, a Norwich fan and a Boro fan, the Boro fan had almost put a bet on that we wouldn’t lose again and tge Norwich fan thought the same, it wasn’t just the fans getting carried away.

• jimiley

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:56 PM

Typical Toon really. I should have put money on it. Proper teams do not win by six away and then lose the next game at home. Not to Wolves anyway. Another wake up call. This team is not as good as we think it is or it thinks it is. This season will be a struggle to get promoted. It will be even harder to stay in the Premiership because most of the players are Championship players.

• stuart no9

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:02 PM

Such a dramatic change from Tuesday . The manager or the players ??? Whose at fault ????

• Blackley and Brownlie

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Jib
    If you didn’t see the game, how can you be so authoritative?

• Jib

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Jail for Ashley // Sep 17, 2016 at 8:54 PM

I was talking to a couple of lads I haven’t seen for awhike today, a Norwich fan and a Boro fan, the Boro fan had almost put a bet on that we wouldn’t lose again and tge Norwich fan thought the same, it’s just not us that are supported by “know nowts”

😀

• firebug666

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:04 PM

stuart no9

I think it would be a bit of both marra, Rafa got the tactics wrong today, and the players just couldn’t handle Wolves, hence such a lack lustre display, and the many mistakes that cost us the match.

• mindshaft

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Rafa out banner anyone 🙂

• jazzyp

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Firebug

I don’t care what position you play mate, It does not excuse the woeful passing that was on show from the lad.
    He made a mistake that cost us the second goal…That i can live with, but it was his overall performance that bothered me.
    Can you tell me when Atsu put that ball across the area in the second half, Why Perez let the ball run by him and didn’t even chase it down and just let it run out ??.
    I don’t want to single the lad out but for me he has more bad games than good

• Jib

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:07 PM

Blackers
    I wasn’t being authorative.
    I just gave an opinion
    Trying to find a reason for what happened
    It wasn’t as if we conceded a goal and heads went down
    We started out shite then got worse

• firebug666

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:07 PM

mindshaft

pmsl! Maybe give him ten games first 😀

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:11 PM

Jib,
    The Boro fan who is in is fifties used to be part of Boros youth team a long time ago, is it only you, a rugger fan that knows anything about football?

• Blackley and Brownlie

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:12 PM

Apart from the Perez effort, we created nothing. The Mitro one on one came about fortuitously. I would’ve hooked Diame at half time, as the worst of a very bad bunch. Surely Murphy could do a better job than Mitro. And Perez wants to shut his gob. I couldn’t believe the warnings he was dishing out to other teams following the QPR result.

• firebug666

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:13 PM

jazzyp

But then the whole team was doing badly, I know you are not singling the lad out marra, but I was defending the fact that he just cannot play on the wing.

Should have been Gouffran on the left and we needed the height of Mitro or Murphy up front.

Shelvey was as bad as Perez for giving up possession by all accounts.

I only had Radio commentary to go off so my opinions are based on someone else’s view of the game.

• magscar

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Having read through some comments I see Charlie has come up with a pretty good review and marks ( except I thought Anita had good game with Ritchie on right).

Think Lascelles is quiet as a captain anyway and in fact I think he might have given the ball away leading to the first goal but will see when highlights (?) come on CH5

Didn’t think it was arrogance from Rafa as side without trying too hard and overplaying should have been capable of getting a win but I could not understand why at least 2 subs weren’t on at beginning of 2cnd half as up front we were woeful.

Perez doesn’t work on left and Gayle was anonymous again.

I was pleased when we got Diame but he has been totally underwhelming when used a No 10 (for his height when paired with Gayle?) and didn’t do any better when moved back into CM when H ayden went off.

Even at start of 2cnd half nothing really changed yet even without any changes I hoped Rafa might have been able to tweak things after speaking to them.

I think both Shelvey and Ritchie were trying too hard. As for criticism of Shelvey I wouldn’t be surprised if he had been instructed by Rafa to hit balls out to wings as this happened way too often for it to be him just being wayward. Pointless trying to hit them over Wolves CB’s who got everything in the air.

Anyway a beer and CH5 call!

• jazzyp

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:14 PM

At least one positive to come out today is that Rafa wants to replicate his spell at Liverpool.

So may be a 6 year spell is on the cards !!

• stuart no9

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Who’s to blame for this performance I’m not sure but I’m not accepting the old “tired ” excuse . No way . Shelvey tired at 23 years old ??? Mmmm.

• GeordieTwo

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:15 PM

One loss is meaningless. It’s the longer trends that matter. As long as we get back on the horse and win a few everyone will calm down again. It sounds like we got sucked into a heavy foul game. Lots of yellows and Anita sent off. Wolves had a strategy and it worked. Not a big deal. Rafa will learn from it and move on.

• WWSBRD

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:16 PM

Jib
    Ok Jib I will accept that u can’t back up ur argument and move on