The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Benitez Bemoans Poor Performance – It Was A Bad Day

7:39 pm, Saturday, September 17th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 112 Comments

This was always going to be banana type of game today and there was a lot written about it before today’s game that after the fantastic win there could be a let-down.

Back in 1992 Kevin Keegan went 11 successive wins in the then League One (England second division) with the last win being a 2-1 victory at Sunderland and the next game was at home to lowly Grimbsby Town – and we lost that game 1-0 and that broke the 11 game winning streak.

It seems like today our players were nowhere near their top form and certainly put in a very poor performance compared to what they did at Loftus Road on Tuesday night.

You talk about inconsistency!

rafa-benitez-not-happy

Rafa Benitez – not happy at all with the performance

But we cannot have too many of these let-downs this season where we basically gift the game to the opposition and certainly not at St. James’ Park in front of over 52,000 fans – that’s not good at all.

Rafa was asked if he thought his players had allowed themselves to be carried away by Tuesday’s massive win – this is how he answered that:

“No, I don’t think so because we were talking about that the day after, we were talking about that the day before, we were talking about that today, so they knew how important it was to be concentrated and then do the right things.”

“But it’s more about the decisions.” “The football decisions were wrong and then we put ourselves under pressure.”

“It’s a bad day, but we have to analyze what was wrong and try to change it.” “It’s not that you have to forget – you have to forget, but try to understand why and try to correct things as soon as possible.”

“You have to change players, but we did it before and we were winning. Today it was just doing from the beginning a lot of things wrong, that’s it.”

“The good thing when you have another game soon is that you can try to do things in the same way that you were doing before.” “This is the league, the next one will be the cup competition.”

“We are not very happy now and we have to concentrate on the next game and try to do things in the same way that we did before.”

“You have to change players, but we did it before and we were winning.” “Today it was just doing from the beginning a lot of things wrong, that’s it.”

Our players must recover from this and quickly too – and get a grip on things.

These things happen in football, but it’s the way you react to the adversity that separates the men from the boys.

We had too many of these painful results last season, so we don’t want too many of them this term.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Wolves?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Interview · Management · Newcastle News · Poll · Press Conference

112 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ron Knee // Sep 17, 2016 at 7:42 PM

“It’s a bad day, but we have to analyze what was wrong and try to change it.”

I’m sure he will.

• 2 BandB // Sep 17, 2016 at 7:45 PM

People do have opinions, and precious little time for anyone else’s.
    It’s hardly worth complaining that the team keeps replaying the old seemingly inexplicable failures to turn up if the fans are equally prone to swinging from despair to gloating and back.
    The two seem linked.
    What happened today was not 100-1 shot of even a 10-1 shot, even after Tuesday night. It was about par for the course. A corner that isn’t quite turned, as we see.
    Yet after that game, the banner of “unbeaten for the remaining games” was quickly and smugly unfurled, along with sneering at any predictions that this season could still turn out to be less than a coronation.
    You will only see today as an unfathomable defeat if you saw in Tuesday’s performance a squad that could be top ten in the Premier League without any upgrades.

PS…. Shelvey will always be brilliant when he is allowed to play his own game and less so when he isn’t.

• 3 firebug666 // Sep 17, 2016 at 7:50 PM

From Previous

WWSBRD

I think today was just another blip, some of our players may have been tired, and maybe a little complacent, this allowed Wolves to get hold of the game and we didn’t recover.

I have no doubt we will bounce back a whole lot stronger on Tuesday and bury some doubts. with Gouffran on the left, Perez in the middle and Richie on the right we should be OK.

I think I would prefer to play two strikers in a 4-4-2 like, but I doubt that’s Rafa’s intention.

Ron

I’m sure he will too.

• 4 welshgeordie9 // Sep 17, 2016 at 7:51 PM

If one person says one thing one time and says the complete opposite next time on the same matter then that’s not an opinion that’s talking crap, end of.

People can’t tell the difference that’s the point I’m making.

• 5 welshgeordie9 // Sep 17, 2016 at 7:52 PM

Anyway not spending all evening explaining.

• 6 welshgeordie9 // Sep 17, 2016 at 7:53 PM

Next weekend should be interesting, villa away, six games without a win.

• 7 firebug666 // Sep 17, 2016 at 7:58 PM

Jib

May I just say that like you I never watched the match so I cannot comment on what Lascelles did or did not say to players, or if he gave Perez a piercing look or not.

I wish I could be psychic like you and have such a vast insight into what he did and did not do, but alas I shall have to rely on radio commentary.

• 8 firebug666 // Sep 17, 2016 at 7:58 PM

Welshie

There you go you just made my case for me. It’s far easier for you to just say the poster is talking rubbish or crap than it is to construct an argument and debate the issue.

At least there is one positive, you have restored my faith in human nature marra, nothing changes with you does it.

• 9 Thump // Sep 17, 2016 at 8:00 PM

Shelvey had an absolute stinker today. Once again it was a case of the opposition closing us down and we panicked whenever we had the ball in anything other than open space.

Some interesting decisions from the referee, mind. My favourite being a throw in that was deemed offside.

• 10 firebug666 // Sep 17, 2016 at 8:03 PM

Thump

I agree on Shelvey, he needs plenty of space and time to think before he can make a decent pass, he was frustrating everyone today when hoofing the ball out of play time after time and giving up possession.

• 11 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 17, 2016 at 8:04 PM

Just going to forget about this result and move on. A disappointing loss for sure but I’m certain Rafa can turn it around.

• 12 Jib // Sep 17, 2016 at 8:09 PM

To those of you from foriegn shores.

A link to watch the Cship highlights

NCIS at the moment

the highlights show in less than an hour (2100hrs UK)

• 13 WWSBRD // Sep 17, 2016 at 8:09 PM

firebug
    Yeah am with u on that, it’s a blip and we will see more no doubt but there will be more good than bad days moving forward

Jib
    I’ll pass on ur insults buddy

Still not answering the captain question or my other question about why Lascelles being dropped has anything to do with ur original comments?

We weren’t quick to question Colos leadership he got quite a long time in the role before questions were asked. Also no matter what how good a captain is when everyone is having a bad day ur team can still lose, that’s football

If u think Lasvelles is a poor captain then say it don’t blame his age

• 14 Thump // Sep 17, 2016 at 8:13 PM

@firebug: Ah, see he wasn’t hoofing the ball out of play, he was just trying to pull off 90 yard hollywood passes. I can see why people would think he was just hoofing it out of play as it happened every bloody time, Jonjo. Every. Bloody. Time.

Or his daft little dinks into Gayle (which inevitably found only the head of a Wolves defender).

Not sure if he was tired and that’s what slowed down his thinking, or if they were all a bit complacent off the back of a 6-0 drubbing, but it was a poor game all around by us.

• 15 firebug666 // Sep 17, 2016 at 8:20 PM

Thump

On reflection you may be right about Shelvey being tired, that could have been the reason he was putting his boot through every long ball.

Personally I think (whatever the reason) giving up possession so easily, and the mistakes at the back frustrated our players, and we were on the back foot from the off, I think that frustration started to come out more as the game progressed, almost had Richie sent off, and did it for Anita.

All in all I think it was a game we were never going to get back into.

• 16 cyprus // Sep 17, 2016 at 8:33 PM

Didn’t watch the game so I can’t comment on play, apart from what I read.

I am not a Shelvey fan (in fact the opposite), but I hope with Rafa he’ll get it together.

On the game, the euphoria from QPR shouted for a result like this. After all this is NUFC, that’s what we do.

• 17 magscar // Sep 17, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Just back in after match and still annoyed at the poor performance. No way was it going to be a walk over just because of Tuesday’s results but I did expect to see some football.

We were so poor in possession and Mbemba and Dummett in particular ( and even Lascelles) gifted ball to Wolves several times when not under pressure.

Diame and Gayle didn’t turn up again and the arrival of Mitro did little to change things.

Struggle to name a MOM but probably Anita until he got sent off for a wild but not malicious challenge when frustration had been breaking out. Not only him but Ritchie and Shelvey were getting wound up beforehand. Referee didn’t help and as usual fell for loads of falls from what was mainly a robust Wolves side. Without the benefit of replays and not having read anything yet there was an incident in first half when Gayle was bursting through the centre and appeared to have been hit in face by a flying arm – nothing given – anyone else there see it?

Took him 2 mins to issue yellows by moving away from incidents ( as did player) then calling him back to him – Wolves loved it having started time wasting from throw ins from about 3rd minute.

We have to stop gifting sides goals as we did again today. Oh SEls nearly through one in the net to make it 3!!!

Not end of world but really disappointing – made 3 home games so far this season and we have contrived to lose 2 of them ( was on holiday for Reading game).

Lets put this behind us and go on another unbeaten run 🙂

• 18 welshgeordie9 // Sep 17, 2016 at 8:43 PM

firebug

I will ask you a question but i will say it in another way.

Do you think we should win or play well in every game in the championship, if you say no then you have answerd my comments that I’ve made this evening.

• 19 firebug666 // Sep 17, 2016 at 8:47 PM

Welshie

I struggle to get your point, but lets try this.

If we play well then we are more likely to win the game, as the other team will have to play even better to stop us.

But what has that got to do with you calling another posters opinion rubbish or crap?

If I say “No” then what questions have I answered?

• 20 jazzyp // Sep 17, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Just got back home from the 3 hr journey back down the A1 lads. And have to say what a pile of Sh@te that was.
    Was like the Huddersfield game all over again. And without trying to single anyone out, I thought Perez was yet again garbage.
    I appreciate everyone has a bad day at the office, But to many games is he ineffective and offers nothing.

I would say Shelvey was 50 50 on his pass ratio. Some sublime,Others shocking.
    The crowd apart from the first 10 minutes was out sung all game by the Wolves fans, Who were quite vocal throughout .

All in all lads a day to forget

• 21 firebug666 // Sep 17, 2016 at 8:51 PM

jazzyp

In defence of Perez he is not a winger, neither left or right though marginally better on the right. He is best suited to the No10 role.

But aye it seems the whole team were woeful especially Mbemba.

• 22 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 17, 2016 at 8:52 PM

Yes Lascalles had a decent game decent game but O did not see a leader out there today when we needed it.
    That is three games/losses this season when we have gone behind we done seem to have any idea how to get back in the game

• 23 Jail for Ashley // Sep 17, 2016 at 8:54 PM

Just read the report from NUFC.com and it really does sound like we were garbage, it’s inexplicable why the three forwards were so non existent. I was talking to a couple of lads I haven’t seen for awhike today, a Norwich fan and a Boro fan, the Boro fan had almost put a bet on that we wouldn’t lose again and tge Norwich fan thought the same, it wasn’t just the fans getting carried away.

• 24 jimiley // Sep 17, 2016 at 8:56 PM

Typical Toon really. I should have put money on it. Proper teams do not win by six away and then lose the next game at home. Not to Wolves anyway. Another wake up call. This team is not as good as we think it is or it thinks it is. This season will be a struggle to get promoted. It will be even harder to stay in the Premiership because most of the players are Championship players.

• 25 stuart no9 // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:02 PM

Such a dramatic change from Tuesday . The manager or the players ??? Whose at fault ????

• 26 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Jib
    If you didn’t see the game, how can you be so authoritative?

• 27 Jib // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:03 PM

Jail for Ashley // Sep 17, 2016 at 8:54 PM

I was talking to a couple of lads I haven’t seen for awhike today, a Norwich fan and a Boro fan, the Boro fan had almost put a bet on that we wouldn’t lose again and tge Norwich fan thought the same, it’s just not us that are supported by “know nowts”

😀

• 28 firebug666 // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:04 PM

stuart no9

I think it would be a bit of both marra, Rafa got the tactics wrong today, and the players just couldn’t handle Wolves, hence such a lack lustre display, and the many mistakes that cost us the match.

• 29 mindshaft // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Rafa out banner anyone 🙂

• 30 jazzyp // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Firebug

I don’t care what position you play mate, It does not excuse the woeful passing that was on show from the lad.
    He made a mistake that cost us the second goal…That i can live with, but it was his overall performance that bothered me.
    Can you tell me when Atsu put that ball across the area in the second half, Why Perez let the ball run by him and didn’t even chase it down and just let it run out ??.
    I don’t want to single the lad out but for me he has more bad games than good

• 31 Jib // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:07 PM

Blackers
    I wasn’t being authorative.
    I just gave an opinion
    Trying to find a reason for what happened
    It wasn’t as if we conceded a goal and heads went down
    We started out shite then got worse

• 32 firebug666 // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:07 PM

mindshaft

pmsl! Maybe give him ten games first 😀

• 33 Jail for Ashley // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:11 PM

Jib,
    The Boro fan who is in is fifties used to be part of Boros youth team a long time ago, is it only you, a rugger fan that knows anything about football?

• 34 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:12 PM

Apart from the Perez effort, we created nothing. The Mitro one on one came about fortuitously. I would’ve hooked Diame at half time, as the worst of a very bad bunch. Surely Murphy could do a better job than Mitro. And Perez wants to shut his gob. I couldn’t believe the warnings he was dishing out to other teams following the QPR result.

• 35 firebug666 // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:13 PM

jazzyp

But then the whole team was doing badly, I know you are not singling the lad out marra, but I was defending the fact that he just cannot play on the wing.

Should have been Gouffran on the left and we needed the height of Mitro or Murphy up front.

Shelvey was as bad as Perez for giving up possession by all accounts.

I only had Radio commentary to go off so my opinions are based on someone else’s view of the game.

• 36 magscar // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Having read through some comments I see Charlie has come up with a pretty good review and marks ( except I thought Anita had good game with Ritchie on right).

Think Lascelles is quiet as a captain anyway and in fact I think he might have given the ball away leading to the first goal but will see when highlights (?) come on CH5

Didn’t think it was arrogance from Rafa as side without trying too hard and overplaying should have been capable of getting a win but I could not understand why at least 2 subs weren’t on at beginning of 2cnd half as up front we were woeful.

Perez doesn’t work on left and Gayle was anonymous again.

I was pleased when we got Diame but he has been totally underwhelming when used a No 10 (for his height when paired with Gayle?) and didn’t do any better when moved back into CM when H ayden went off.

Even at start of 2cnd half nothing really changed yet even without any changes I hoped Rafa might have been able to tweak things after speaking to them.

I think both Shelvey and Ritchie were trying too hard. As for criticism of Shelvey I wouldn’t be surprised if he had been instructed by Rafa to hit balls out to wings as this happened way too often for it to be him just being wayward. Pointless trying to hit them over Wolves CB’s who got everything in the air.

Anyway a beer and CH5 call!

• 37 jazzyp // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:14 PM

At least one positive to come out today is that Rafa wants to replicate his spell at Liverpool.

So may be a 6 year spell is on the cards !!

• 38 stuart no9 // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Who’s to blame for this performance I’m not sure but I’m not accepting the old “tired ” excuse . No way . Shelvey tired at 23 years old ??? Mmmm.

• 39 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:15 PM

One loss is meaningless. It’s the longer trends that matter. As long as we get back on the horse and win a few everyone will calm down again. It sounds like we got sucked into a heavy foul game. Lots of yellows and Anita sent off. Wolves had a strategy and it worked. Not a big deal. Rafa will learn from it and move on.

• 40 WWSBRD // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:16 PM

Jib
    Ok Jib I will accept that u can’t back up ur argument and move on

• 41 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:20 PM

Out of curiosity why wasn’t Murphy at least on the bench? Don’t understand what’s going on there. And what has happened to Gamez? Injured I suppose. What a disappointment he’s been.

• 42 WWSBRD // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:20 PM

On the goals Mbembas heading is pretty poor but the ball should of been booted away prior to it and the second Perez was being very Perez like unfortunately though shot looked saveable (am very unconvinced by Sels surely dropping him needs to be considered by now)

• 43 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:23 PM

The side was poor today as I understand it. It’s still early days with Rafa and so many new players. By early November I think we’ll be able to see what our real chances are of being promoted. If it’s a tight race I would expect Rafa to be very busy in January. But I still think we have the players we need to win the division. Let’s see if that’s true though.

• 44 jazzyp // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:24 PM

Firebug

Yeah I agree his position is not on the wing mate, But where is it ??.
    The lad has been played right across the middle of the park. As a front man. As an attacking twosome. As an attacking front three. And nothing has panned out for him.

Honestly mate he was shocking today and that is being kind. Players are bound to go through bad as well as good patches in there career.
    But Perez has done nothing of note in his spell at the Toon.

I fare want the kid to do well as he always comes across that he cares for the club, Its just a pity that does not come across on the pitch.
    I noticed Lascelles and Shelvey both give him a right B@llicking for numerous misplaced passes. And also Rafa gave him a talking to when he pulled him over to the right in the second half

• 45 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:28 PM

Maybe the new contract for Perez was a mistake? Has money gone to his head already? He has talent but his lack of size and strength are a real concern.

• 46 colwell // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:29 PM

The tinker man will be at it again Tuesday. At least we will get to see Lazaar and Murphy, Yedlin at RB and why not bring Tiote in still the best DM we have by a country mile.

Darlow for Sels and Atsu for Perez. actually play Gayle up top with a big striker he has all the attributes to feed from them perfectly just never given the chance.

• 47 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:30 PM

I thought we needed to be 6W 2D 2L in the first 10 games. Well we now have 3 losses in the first 8. Not so good but if we win the next two it’s 21 points and not a problem. If we slip into a losing spell it’s a different story.

• 48 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:30 PM

First time I’ve seen Atsu. Poor.

• 49 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:33 PM

I wonder when the penny is going to drop that Perez can’t play on the wing and Gayle can’t lead the line. By the way, the Diame we have seen so far is what we’ll continue to get, like it or not. Unless Rafa can re-invent him I suppose.

• 50 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:33 PM

That sounds sensible to me colwell mate. Let’s see what Rafa actually does. Perez should be out though. Anita will be out. Shelvey out? Not sure. Darlow makes sense to me as well. Possibly Clark or Hanley in for size at the back over Mbemba?

• 51 colwell // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:34 PM

Perez is a strange one, he has been very poor for some time with only the odd rare glimmer of something special. He takes too long on the ball losing it too often.

Admittedly he should be no where near the LW he can’t go past players or cross and doesn’t track back well like Gouff.

Never thought i’d say that i’d actually prefer Gouff than Perez in the team.

• 52 firebug666 // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:35 PM

jazzyp / G2

In fairness Perez is best in behind a big striker, he is only young and is still learning his game so patience may be needed with him.

Maybe because he is so young Rafa is trying to turn him into a winger, but in my opinion he is never going to be that, for me he is a No10, and when playing should be played in that position, we know he can score goals and that should be his main aim, playing off a big target man, looking for the flick on’s and knock downs.

Only time will tell on Perez, but he should NEVER be played on the wing.

• 53 colwell // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:38 PM

GeordieTwo

Yeah agreed Hanley or Clarke in with Lascelles for height and strength. Yedlin and Lazaar for speed.

• 54 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:38 PM

If Perez isn’t a winger how do you fit him into the lineup with Gayle and Mitro firebug mate. And Shelvey needs to be pushed forward for his shot as well. Gouffy is a better winger at this point definitely. Perez may have to sit quite a bit. He hasn’t earned a starting place. I would rather see Gouffy and Ritchie as the wingers.

• 55 Jib // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:40 PM

Goofy’s thinking “You shoulda played me”

• 56 jazzyp // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:41 PM

Colwell

Me neither mate. Never rated Gouffy, but would happily let him trade places with Perez.
    Again I’ll ask anyone on here what Perez actually does in a game ??

Sat with the lads for a good hr after the game discussing this point and no one had any idea.

If we did indeed have contact with Barca and the 20 mill price that was banded about, I would happily have accepted it.

• 57 firebug666 // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:41 PM

G2

He could fit with Mitro or Murphy but not Gayle, one of the front two should have height mate.

I agree mind that he may have to sit out for a few games, as should Mbemba who was just shocking today, mind so were most of our players.

• 58 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:43 PM

It should be two upfront starting every game. Mitrovic or Murphy alongside Gayle or Perez.

• 59 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:44 PM

If we play a diamond up front with Mitro at the top, Gouffy on one wing, Ritchie on the other and Gayle or Perez in behind that might work. Then play Diame and Shelvey behind the diamond and four at the back. Still unclear who are our two best CB’s.

• 60 jimmysmith // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:44 PM

I think we’ll struggle to win sufficient games with Gayle leading the line. Rafa will be hopeful we can and will want to give him games and keep him in the frame, but we seem better suited player wise to 4231 with Mitro or Murphy up top, and Perez or Diame in the hole. Gayle has qualities, but I don’t see how he fits in anything like our best side and set up. 442 ok, but we do have the wingers and central midfielders for it, and would Rafa play it.

• 61 Jib // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:45 PM

WWSBRD
    @40
    What are you babbling on about
    Scroll back to the bottom of the previous you half-wit

• 62 LGFUAD21 // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:46 PM

As my championship mainstay supporting friends said.

“This is the championship.”

Rafa knows this. It’s a long season. Let’s move on and keep up the support.

Bad result but we can do this.

• 63 jazzyp // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:47 PM

Patience is a virtue but we have been saying the same thing about Perez now for 3 year.

The team cannot afford to keep carrying players as before, Otherwise the same mistakes are going to repeat them selves.

• 64 magscar // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:47 PM

G2@54

If you played all 3 than I would go for Perez as the No 10 and Gayle out wide left. Having said that not convinced all 3 work.

Given up all ready on CH5 show terrible coverage and pundits although another good goal from Armstrong

• 65 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:48 PM

We could try the formation against Wolves in the weak with Murphy up front. A front two only works if the two play it properly. I’m not convinced we have the strikers to make it work. Mito and Gayle both want goals. I’m just not convinced by Mitro.

• 66 firebug666 // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:48 PM

TOF

I agree, playing two strikers upfront in a 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 but I am not sure Rafa would agree 😀 Anyway; in the next game I expect us to knock Wolves out of the cup and then bury Villa in their own back yard.

• 67 colwell // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:48 PM

Jazzyp

20m for Perez would be a bigger rip off than Wijnaldem and Sissoko put together. We could have brought in another 4 players for that.

• 68 jimmysmith // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:49 PM

But do we have the wingers for it, I mean.

• 69 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:49 PM

Gouffy has earned a start over Perez I would think. Rafa will sit Perez for a couple of games now.

• 70 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:52 PM

I think it has to be Gouffy and Ritchie jimmysmith mate. That’s the best we have to offer. The new lads are just that, new lads. Where is Yelin going to fit in I wonder? With Anita out would Rafa put him there?

• 71 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:53 PM

Gamez seems to be another disaster as a fullback for us. He can’t even make the bench?

• 72 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:55 PM

This is for Rafa to sort out magscar mate. But I think Perez has earned a place on the bench again now.

• 73 firebug666 // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:57 PM

—————Darlow

Yedlin—-Clark—-Lascelles—-Lazaar

Richie—-Shelvey—-Hayden—-Gouffran

———-Murphy———–Mitrovic

Ok it’s a cup game but would be nice to see some players who have pace, passion and desire to do well.

• 74 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:58 PM

Never thought we would lose 3 of our first 8 but I think everyone probably underestimated Huddersfield for one. Will they come back to the pack?

• 75 magscar // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:58 PM

The irony is that without Goufran, who most wanted sold, the side didn’t look as balanced.

Yes rotate but neither Perez or Atsu on his brief display look the answer on left. Dummet in particular suffered in his absence today.

On my first and last – as it is impossible 🙂 Rafa Bingo I went for Yedlin on right wing and Ritchie moved to left.

Still think that might be worth a try but with Anita suspended think Yedlin will get a run at RB as Gamez doesn’t seem to be in the picture. Is also Lazzarr but probably a little early for him.

• 76 WWSBRD // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:58 PM

Jib
    Its always a bad sign when instead of answering questions in a debate u start hurling insults…I mean come on u claim to be a grown man and this is what u resort to?

What more tragic is that u could of had an actual argument about Lascelles and the captaincy (though claiming his youth had something to do with the loss today is far fetched and wrong in all honesty). There are actual reasons as to why there are better candidates in the squad already and why its too soon for Lascelles to take on such a responsibility but u devolve to insults before thinking of them…sad really

• 77 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:58 PM

Actually I like that formation and lineup firebug mate. I like it a lot…

• 78 colwell // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Armstrong scored another belter today may have to call him back its not great he’s helping a rival.

• 79 jimmysmith // Sep 17, 2016 at 10:00 PM

Ritchie can swing them in, but you need another to swing them in on the other side to play two up top. Gouffran is up and down the channel and linking play, and inside into the box, not a true wide man. Atsu or Lazaar maybe, but you go 2 up top and two wide, you also need a top notch midfield two to cope. I don’t know that we have the players to do it.

• 80 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 10:00 PM

Don’t think we’ll see Lazaar yet as you say firebug. It will probably be Dummett or I would even try Colback in the cup game.

• 81 magscar // Sep 17, 2016 at 10:01 PM

G2

From radio commentary and highlights Perez had great game on Tues at QPR but played more centrally then. Too many off it today and it was contagious 🙁

• 82 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 10:02 PM

Yes, what you say @79 makes sense jimmy mate. We’re still not clear on what makes a good starting 11. I’m not sure Rafa knows either. We go from winning 6-0 away to losing 2-0 at home. It’s obvious we aren’t a consistent team yet.

• 83 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 10:04 PM

That could almost be said of the whole team magscar mate. Huge swing in overall performance. Rafa will be annoyed.

• 84 firebug666 // Sep 17, 2016 at 10:04 PM

G2

From the little I have seen of Lazaar he looks like a gifted technical player, young and very fast. I hope he gets his chance soon as he will be the type of player who will get the crowd on their feet.

This cup tie could be the perfect time for him.

• 85 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 10:04 PM

Hope so firebug mate.

• 86 jimmysmith // Sep 17, 2016 at 10:05 PM

You’re probably stretching if you’re playing an attacking fullback as a winger in a 442. You need a player with the capacity to consistently get behind on the outside and swing it over with accuracy, as well as cut in.

• 87 Bobbybee // Sep 17, 2016 at 10:07 PM

Let’s not beat about the bush – that was a shocker. Really struggling to pick a motm because the whole side had a very bad day. But that’s football innit? I honestly can’t recall another game where the whole team could neither trap a ball or pass it more than ten yards. But let’s not get carried away – Wolves wanted it more and deserved the win, but it is only one game. QPR made us look good and frankly, we did the same for Wolves. Personally I’m going to delete this game from my memory and chalk it down to experience. Just as it’s unlikely we’ll repeat the QPR performance regularly, it’s equally unlikely we’ll play that poorly again. Nobody walks away from that game with any real credit and the players will know that without us telling them. The manner of the loss was worrying, but I’m putting it down to ‘after the Lord Mayor’s show’ and happy to move on. We’re just as likely to win comfortably on Tuesday night – because that’s football. Wolves were hardly that much better today, they just made less mistakes. Gifted two sloppy goals always makes life easier. Let’s see how we respond to that before getting upset. It’s a long season that’s hardly started. We can still win the league, it ain’t the end of the world. I trust Rafa to fix it.

• 88 toon kk // Sep 17, 2016 at 10:08 PM

Tbf people shouldn’t expect us to win every game, it ain’t gonna happen. We’re a decent championship side along with others. Any team can win on the day.
    I’m just happy knowing that we can at least compete in the championship, something which we simply couldn’t do in the premier league.

• 89 colwell // Sep 17, 2016 at 10:10 PM

Playing Lazaar with Gouff makes the most sense, Lazaar seems to be a very attacking fullback and left footed. and Gouff will cover him.

Dummett needs to be dropped anyway he’s one of those average players we seem to never let go, he’s average at defending and poor getting forward he’s Williamson as an LB.

• 90 GeordieTwo // Sep 17, 2016 at 10:13 PM

Have to agree colwell @89. Never saw Dummett as good enough at LB. We haven’t had a decent one since Jose left.

• 91 colwell // Sep 17, 2016 at 10:15 PM

G2

Jose was awesome strong and quick as fcuk worked so good with Jonas bombing forward

• 92 jimmysmith // Sep 17, 2016 at 10:15 PM

I think we are the best team by some distance, but we have so many options, that we haven’t quite figured out how to manage yet.

• 93 colwell // Sep 17, 2016 at 10:18 PM

With Anita out now I have no doubt Yedlin will secure the RB slot most of the season, Great athlete and even though was with the Scum last year was one of their best players.

• 94 Bobbybee // Sep 17, 2016 at 10:24 PM

Another canny goal from Arma today. Martoon, I hope his goals count towards top scorer. 🙂 He’s a toon player, playing in the Championship, so no reason why not. Think he’ll be back in January, having proved any doubters wrong that he can produce in this league. He’s a natural goalscorer who’ll score in any league.

• 95 jimmysmith // Sep 17, 2016 at 11:13 PM

Arma is another one like Gayle that you’d wonder where he would play when he comes back, given the make up of the group, and Rafas liking for 4231. Most likely off the bench in the last twenty minutes, if we were chasing a game or fully in control. He’s another that would seem best leading the line alone or in tandem with similar in a wholly passing side or off the shoulder of a big striker in a 442. Not an ideal fit as we currently are.

• 96 Bobbybee // Sep 17, 2016 at 11:24 PM

Arma is capable of leading the line, but he needs balls played into the channels to be most effective. Still the most natural goalscorer on the books as his goals continue to prove. His time will come soon enough so this loan is all part of his learning curve. His goal last week was sublime and his volley today just so natural. Great career ahead of him. 🙂

• 97 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 17, 2016 at 11:43 PM

The biggest issue for me today was the poor mid-to-long range passing right round the team all game. We kept gifting it back to them with really shoddy passing. Ball didn’t really stick up top either.

They closed us down well, but we also gifted them two goals. Without those gifts, I couldn’t really see them scoring. Quite a tall team they were.

Am I worried? Not at all. Every long term trend will have ups and downs along the way, this is one of them. Not dropping points is unrealistic, plus, we’re still developing.

• 98 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 18, 2016 at 12:07 AM

Rafa needs to wake up to the fact that we are not Liverpool or Real Madrid. We don’t have a player of the quality to be one man up front, especially in the blood and guts of the Championship. 4231 needs to go into the drawer for a while even if it’s a blow to his ego.

• 99 Mitrobitch // Sep 18, 2016 at 12:33 AM

Alright Lads new to the blog,

Bad performance obviously but we have great strength in depth and I trust Rafa to get it tactically right 90% of the time, never thought I’d say this but I think Gouffran may be one of the first names on my team sheet.

• 100 mattyNUFC // Sep 18, 2016 at 1:25 AM

Very surprised to see this level of critique of Rafa– and the team if I’m honest.

We were relegated for a reason. This was never goig to be a cakewalk.

I think I’ll keep my faith in Rafa rather than err on the side of total oblivion that some posters seem to be jumping towards

• 101 lesh // Sep 18, 2016 at 2:38 AM

With so many lackluster performances, cards and fouling on our part, could the lads’ve been tired and lacking concentration? If so, why?

• 102 davis_toons // Sep 18, 2016 at 2:55 AM

Diame have not adapt to the team yet. He should be a strong force to any club.

He should be effective like every club he went to.
    He should be carrying the ball pushing the team on but he have not do that yet.

Shelvey and him did not do well in the middle of the park. Thats cause us not to retaliate after a goal down.

• 103 davis_toons // Sep 18, 2016 at 2:59 AM

Maybe Arma is the former young michael chopra

• 104 Laurent Robert The Legend // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:12 AM

Rotating team to keep players fresh and all is fine. But you don’t really chop and change a team which gave you a 6-0 victory in a last game and is on a high. Whenever Gayle and Perez were in the team together we lost. Food for thought.

• 105 ilovetoon8788 // Sep 18, 2016 at 6:10 AM

We have many average players who struggles for consistency which is why they are in the championship. Players like mitrovic, perez, shelvey, dummett, gayle are all very good players. But they have no consistency in their game.

The only premier league calibre player in this team is Matt Ritchie. He has consistency in his game. The rest that I mentioned are world class for a 2 or 3 games and then will put in a woeful performance for the next game or 2 after.

This team that we have is a very good championship team which should get into the play offs at the very least.

But this team will get destroyed in the premier league right now aside from scums of course.

• 106 Jib // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:08 AM

Wise words from Mark Douglas
    Benitez will rotate.
    It semed to backfire against Wolves.
    I think it’ll be the thing we talk about the most this season.
    However
    Benitez will get it right more often than not

• 107 Jib // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:13 AM

• 108 Lindisfarne // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:27 AM

Retribution on Tuesday.

• 109 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:32 AM

On what I have seen this season if we go up – heaven help us we are going to need a whole new squad.
    How many are premiership class half a dozen at most.

so far this season
    Fulham beaten by a better team on the day
    Huddersfield – ditto except when they scored their second goal we give up
    Reading – better team – score flattered to deceive
    Brighton – better team deserved win
    Derby – mm not sure defended well got the result
    QPR – totally dominated
    Wolves – shocker – worst home performance since 6-0 drubbing by Liverpool 4 seasons ago

As for yesterday two midgets up front you could see it was not working should of changed it after 2 minutes bringing on Mitrovic for Gayle and Goufran who has been our stand out player in our mini win run for Diame.

People call Colback to but we missed him and Goufran in midfield NO bite yesterday – INFACT TOTAL SHITE performance

Sorry we are going nowhere playing Gayle and Perez up front – thing they have started 3 times – zero points 1 goal.

Be there Wednesday – lets see the players we have seen little of and BEEF up the team

• 110 Lindisfarne // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:42 AM

Charlie

Have you done a players summary, I find them useful. Yesterdays result certainly puts a cap on being over optimistic.

• 111 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:47 AM

Lindisfarne

Yeah here it is from last night – still bloody angry/annoyed at the pathetic display we dished up!!!!…..

Sorry RAFA you got it wrong today – arrogance got to him maybe whatever team I send out we will win
    Team – arrogance – Oh we will just turn up 3pts in the bag
    Supporters – arrogance – couple of beers wander up to the ground – easy there points

Sorry a FUC*IN’ big reality check

Second best from minute 1 to minute 96
    Cannot go into games in the championship with two midgets up front and lump the ball up to them

WHY OH WHY KEEP CHANGING THE TEAM!!!!!

missed Goufran today

Anyway my merit marks

Sels 3 – useless got lucky with block first half – like Dracula hates crosses – the physical side left far two big a space to his right for the second goal
    Dummett – 2 – got skinned time and time again – passing abject
    Mbemba – 1 – worst display in a TOON shirt
    Lascalles -5 – pick of our defenders
    Anita – 4 – did OK frustration got to him – rash tackle for sending of
    Ritchie-7 – Our best player but had to be taken off before sent off
    Shelvey – 2 -lazy thoughts of best player in the Championship got to him – needs to give his head a shake.
    Diame – 2 – headless chicken day – got the ball to many times then passed to the Wolves
    Hayden – 3 Shadow of the past games for the TOON
    Gayle – 2 – did nowt – ran around and whinged when tackled
    Perez – 2 ditto but give the ball away for second goal – mind you nobody came wanted the ball off him

Supporters – 3 – sang at start but heeds went down – looked a lot of strangers there for the good times around me – out sung most of the match by Wolves supporters

Rafa – 4 – did not think much of his team selection – would of played Goufran and Mitrovich from the start
    Goufran for his not stop running tackling
    Mitrovich for his presence – first half put cross after cross in but no good if you have midgets up front.
    Also did not understand his substitutions except for Ritchie.

We do not pass and move quick enough to play two small players up front.

ALL IN ALL A SH*T DAY AT THE OFFICE

a BIG wake up call

• 112 Lindisfarne // Sep 18, 2016 at 8:01 AM

Charlie

From those scores it looks like the whole team deserves to be rotated. Even Ritchie could do with a rest. Rafa certainly made some poor choices yesterday but can quickly make up for his mistakes. Either that or Wolves may give the game a pass.

previous post: Benitez Unhappy With Too Many Mistakes – Self-Inflicted Defeat