Benitez – I Want To Stay At Newcastle For Six Years

Newcastle had more than 3,000 fans at Loftus Road on Tuesday night – and that just shows the passion of the Newcastle United support – a support which is legendary.

Over the last few years that support has been for what has been a very poor side on the pitch, but Rafa Benitez seems to be quickly changing all that and he seems to think like a Newcastle fan too.

Rafa wants what the fans want – a good team that wins games and plays good attacking football; he also wants to win trophies at Newcastle – that’s one of the reasons he agreed to stay on Tyneside on May 25th.

Newcastle United v Reading - Sky Bet Championship - St James' Park

Rafa Benitez – wants to stay at Newcastle for at least six years

Rafa is on a three year deal at about £4.5M a year and while it’s too early right now to do anything – we would hope if Newcastle do get promoted in May – the club would negotiate a new deal with Rafa to get him to stay on Tyneside for a long time.

This man is perfect for the club and he has quickly gained enormous respect from all those associated with the club and certainly he seems to want to stay and win trophies for Newcastle United Football club.

This is what Rafa said when asked about the fantastic support he and the team continue to get from the ever faithful Geordie fans:

“When I just arrived at Liverpool we played in the final of the League Cup and had just won the Champions League in the same year.”

“After we won the FA Cup and reached the European Cup final, so I always got very good support from Liverpool fans and I was always very pleased with them.”

“I have said before that the Geordies and the Scousers are very similar.” “I was really pleased there and I am really pleased here.”

“Hopefully I can stay here for as many years here as I was there.” “Winning something here – that would be perfect for everyone.”

“We had our game, I had to prepare the game properly, and then I was with the family and just enjoying 0-6, so I didn’t need to watch any games.”

“I started working in the Academy at Real Madrid and after I was working in League One or as a coach, I was working in the second division, so it’s not that I was always in the Champions League.”

“I’m really pleased and really proud to have more than 150 games at European level, but still I like to coach, I like to train my team, to improve players and to win.”

“Football has changed a little bit, what it means to the media, what it means to the fans.”

“But for me in terms of your job, it’s just enjoying what you have to do and what normally you have done all your life.”

Spoken like a man who was born to coach.

Rafa was at Liverpool from 2004 through 2010 – six years – so if he stays at Newcastle for six years he would be on Tyneside until 2022.

And negotiating a new deal with Rafa shouldn’t be too difficult this time around.

He would continue to have total control of all football matters and maybe he gets a wage increase and a long term (six year?) deal at the end of the season?

He seems to work very well and see eye to eye with Lee Charnley and they have already formed a successful working relationship for the good of the club – as witnessed by everything that happened this summer.

Rafa may want the club to agree to various improvements in return to staying long term – like improvements at the training ground and maybe even a possible expansion of St. James’ Park to 60,0000 capacity.

The team he can create on Tyneside will be able to fill the stadium if we do manage to somehow expand the St. James’ Park capacity by 8,000.

Rafa is not motivated by money – he is a rich man and has been well rewarded for the fantastic skills he’s been blessed with.

He is however motivated by achievement and he wants to win things.

Rafa will have that opportunity at one of the most famous clubs in England – a club who have massively underperformed for far too long and have not won a trophy in 47 years.

We cannot get too far ahead of ourselves this season of course, but owner Mike Ashley should already be thinking of signing Rafa up for a long term deal to keep him at the club at the end of what we hope will be a very successful season.

What do you think?

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:34 AM

I’d be over the moon if he stayed for six years. I hope he doesn’t take the Spain job before that.

• martoon

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:42 AM

Unlike other managers we’ve had Rafa could walk into another top job tomorrow. My only worry is if Ashley does something to p*ss him off and he walks. Fortunately Ashley seems to be keeping his distance at the moment!

• Ian Toon

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:43 AM

15Ian Toon // Sep 17, 2016 at 9:38 AM

The West Ham game at SJP in January gave us an early sight of Shelvey- his debut- as he starred in a Newcastle win. Perez scored early on and a Jonjo 60 yard diagonal ball led to a Wijnaldum goal.
    With only a quarter of an hour gone we were 2-0 up . Nail biting followed though when Mbemba gifted WHU a goal with a weak back pass. So a game of high intensity, tempo and being on the front foot ended with six minutes of stoppage time and bitten nails.

The second goal and Shelvey’s cross field pass, the sheer speed , gives Perez, for example an extra few seconds and the opposing defence less time to recover. That’s the difference between Shelvey in top quality form and an average Championship player.

Benitez has got Shelvey firing again on all cylinders. This looks like lasting a little longer with a fully supporting team on the same wavelength. . Henderson’s goal was special last night but Jonjo has a lot more in his locker and is in the zone.

• Bowjaw

Sep 17, 2016 at 9:50 AM

Jail.
    I think Rafa enjoys the day to day training and coaching too much to take the Spanish job any time soon.

• nut meg

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Every time this man speaks I find myself with a smile on my face,grinning like the Cheshire cat!

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:26 AM

Bowjaw,
    I hope not, if he really does want to stay and create history and the Spain job didn’t tempt him it’s only Mashers that could upset the apple cart. No good worrying about that now though.

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:33 AM

We’ve been given 6K for Barnsley by all accounts, is this right?

• Budge123

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:47 AM

Just to play devil’s advocate I’m not surprised he wants to stay for 6 years at 4 million a year.!

Seriously though he’s best thing to happen to Newcastle In recent memory.

Can’t see cashly getting involved and making it all go tits up- he must Recognise a good thing when he sees it

• Veltman

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:48 AM

If he stays, great.If not,good luck on his next move.The important thing is Ashley and Charnley sees the light.And there is a big chance that they will hire another high profile mgr in the future, with sound financial backing.
    4-0 today against Wolves.Shelvey with another brace and Mbemba getting his first goal.

• The overrated Frenchman

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:50 AM

I’m not seeking to down-play Rafa’s influence, but Shelvey looks a different player with his improved fitness more than anything. He seems perfectly capable of running out 90 minutes now which he hasn’t in the past. Perhaps that was Rafa’s message before the season. Get fit and I’ll play you. The down-side is that he’ll leave an enormous hole when he’s not playing, given that Wor Jackie Colback will be the most likely replacement in centre midfield, when Shelvey is rested.

• toontaff2

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:51 AM

Just to keep the grain cells in tip top order before killing a few more off with Stella to add to the enjoyment of (hopefully) beating Wolves :
    Probability theory made easy!
    If we say there are 2 players for each position, with each having the same probability of getting picked, picking the right player in a position has probability of one half. 2 positions, a quarter, 4 possible combinations, 1 is correct; 3 players an eighth; so half times half……….times half, 10 times = 1 out of 2048!
    Someone asked RE: Rafa’s bingo and just checking I still had it! Could well be wrong, but 1 out of 2048 will do for now!

• toontaff2

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Even with a maths degree and 12 years in a previous life as a maths teacher, I may well be wrong, but at least I finished typing it before ED moved on to the next article.

• one fine day

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:56 AM

Question?
    Wtf has happened to toonbrother?
    Has he changed names?
    Very weird in the build up to games not seeing his rants in the merits of the curly haired Argentinian .
    Was as regular as Dennis twice with his outbursts pre game.
    Conspiracy theories abound …
    Was he actually cool himself mugging himself off hoping to force a quicker move back to San Lorenzo ?
    Or is the smartest guy in the room on some euphoric cloud looking down now cool has left our shores ?
    This feels like a bad episode of Scooby Doo

• toontaff2

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:59 AM

with smoke coming out of ears, having cleared some cobwebs, bored the Blog to death, time to walk the dog prior to pre-match warm-up!
    Looking forward to the atmosphere in the Gallowgate!

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Veltman,
    Are you saying they’ve seen the light or that you hope they see the light if Benitez leaves.

• one fine day

9 not colocini
    10 No South Americans unless it’s mirandinha
    11 no mutes with lumbar issues
    As for the bench … Well you get the idea

• Ron Knee

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:03 AM

“And Atsu, who is good friends with Gyan, has revealed he may produce a dance of his own to rival that of the former Black Cats striker – if, and when, he scores.”

Please, don’t bother!

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:06 AM

Ofd,
    He was unhinged and has probably retired safe in the knowledge that it was his rants that got the curly haired one sent home.

• TyneMouth

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:08 AM

JfA
    Confirmation; RAFA BINGO! team sheet

Sels
    Games. Lascelles. Clark. Dummett.
    Heyden. Diame.
    Ritchie. Perez. Also.
    Mitrovic.

Eyes down.
    VIVA BENITEZ…

• TyneMouth

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:10 AM

Gamez, even…

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:10 AM

Tynemouth.
    Have you not already had a go ???

• TyneMouth

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:17 AM

JfA
    No Sir!
    My last post was about nine hours ago…

• Spoof

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:17 AM

This is a huge opportunity for Rafa to show the world just how good or not so good he is seeing that he appears to have total control of the footballing side of things, he has never had that before, not even at Liverpool where there were times when he was over-ruled when it came to transfers, Gareth Bale being one such occasion, but here with us that doesn’t seem to be the case as Rafa tells Charnley to jump and in fairness to Charnley his response seems to be how high, so Rafa does seem to have a no holds barred opportunity to build a club the way he feels a club should be built, if he succeeds he will go down in Geordie folk lore as being a god, but if he fails he has no where to hide as the failure will be his and his alone, there is great expectation and with it great pressure, some could wilt under that pressure but Rafa at present seems to be living off it as it seems pretty clear to be that he is loving every minute of every day with us, so come on Rafa, make a god of yourself.

• mindshaft

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:17 AM

Rafa Bingo

Sels
    Anita Lascelles. Mbemba. Yedlin.
    Hayden. Shelvey.
    Ritchie. Diame. Gouffran.
    Gayle

• mindshaft

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:20 AM

This is too weird , team doing well, players happy, manager happy , fans happy … Ashley staying out of things , this can’t last – we are the toon after all

• SUTTY1978

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:21 AM

Toonbrother can now be found on sanlorenzoblog.com telling everyone how Colo is going to ruin their season

• Spoof

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:23 AM

mindshaft

would just be our luck, the North Koreans nuek us.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:28 AM

Spoof,
    Even if he doesn’t win anything he doesn’t need to hide. What he’s done so far in just restoring a bit of pride back to the fans makes him a legend already.

• Bobbybee

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:31 AM

I think it’s fair to say that Wolves will try to spoil the game right from ko. I fully expect them to park more than one bus and try to frustrate us for 75 minutes before venturing upfield to try and nick it. Having conceded four midweek, they’ll be determined not to do the same today. Here’s hoping a section of our fans don’t get frustrated, expecting a rout. Today won’t be as easy as midweek. Let’s face it, QPR were shocking and Wolves would struggle to be that bad. Of course, an early goal might change their mindset and force them to come out, which would, in turn, make our job easier. Be prepared to be patient, that’s all I’m saying.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:35 AM

I think everyone will be expecting a rout bobbybee but I don’t think we’ll see the levels of frustrations shown against Huddersfield. The lads deserve to be cut a bit of slack if things don’t go as planned after Tuesdays exhibition.

• Spoof

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:36 AM

Jail

He has created a feel good factor, but so far that’s about it, mind based on how we were before he joined then installing confidence the way he has is no mean feat, but legend, not yet as he would say himself, we have done nothing yet, but I’m sure he will.

KK and Sir Bobby were fantastic for us, but if Rafa can get us challenging as they did and also get what is behind the scenes sorted out, notably a successful academy then he could even exclipse what they achieved for us, now doing that would be legendary, but he has got a long way to go yet.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:44 AM

Spoof,
    I think you’re underestimating what the fans think of him. When 3K fans are singing your name pretty much constantly for 90 minutes that puts you in the legend status.

• WWSBRD

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:45 AM

As long as keeps going like this Rafa see out ur career with us

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:45 AM

Equalling your best away result in fifty years is an achievement as will Equalling a clean sheet record if it happens today.

• Ian Toon

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:50 AM

TOF- Wor Jackie Colback- I like it!
    Good judges on here would not see him as a replacement – Jack does the things Jonjo doesn’t like doing and isn’t very good at. You need a blend of skills to achieve team balance

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:52 AM

We need a judge to judge the judges.

• Bobbybee

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Jail, no bother with people expecting a rout, it’s the response if it doesn’t materialise. I felt ashamed by the booing at the Huddersfield game – as I was by the response on here. Wolves will be smarting after the Barnsley result and today could be frustrating. Of course, we might score early and go on to whoop them. I’ve always maintained there’s nothing easier than supporting a winning side. We will lose games sometimes after all. Our job is to make SJP a fortress and scare teams to death, not to make it easy on visiting teams. Anyway, I’ll take 1-0 now and the three points it brings. I certainly can’t see us losing today. The problem with going in expecting a thrashing, is that if it doesn’t happen, then it’s a disappointment. I can’t see us playing a worse team than QPR put out the entire season! They were shocking. 🙂 Maybe Wolves can be that bad, but I doubt it.

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:58 AM

Yep,
    I’d take a boring 1-0 all day long but then again I’m stuck in an airport and won’t be there 🙁

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:01 PM

Bobbybee,
    I don’t think anyone would boo the team because it’s not a rout, the Huddersfield game was because it looked like no one gave a toss wasn’t it.

• WWSBRD

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:03 PM

Bobby
    I dunno it was quite funny on here after the first two games