The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Good Test For Benitez To Get Magpies Back On Track

2:29 pm, Sunday, September 18th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 111 Comments

Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez was not a very happy man after the final whistle yesterday when it was the second game in a row that was a huge surprise – this time on the negative side.

It followed out biggest road win since 1962 when we hammered QPR on Tuesday night but for some reason that win affected our players and they made fart too many mistakes yesterday and got what they deserved – a defeat.

rafa benitez training

Rafa Benitez – can get Magpies back on track

That’s the third defeat in eight league games but as long as we keep winning games we can still amass quite a few points this season.

This is some of what an unhappy Rafa Benitez said on nufcTV after the game:

“The good thing when you have another game soon is that you can try to do things in the same way that you were doing before.”

“This is the league, the next one will be the cup competition.We are not very happy now and we have to concentrate on the next game and try to do things in the same way that we did before.”

This will be a good challenge for Rafa Benitez to get Newcastle back on track quickly, with hopefully a win on Tuesday night in the EFL Cup 3rd round against Wolves.

Then we have three league games through October 1st before the two week International break – and the results of those games will give us a decent idea of how we can do this season.

Three wins in those games are really what we need to get completely back on track.

September
Tue 20	19:45	H	Wolves - EFL Cup 3rd round
Sat 24	17:30	A	Aston Villa
Wed 28	19:45	H	Norwich City
October
Sat 01	15:00	A	Rotherham United

In his 23 years since he started managing clubs back in 1993, Rafa has managed a massive 979 games with 499 wins for a win average of 50.97%.

So a win on Tuesday night would be the 500th win in Rafa’s stellar career.

That would be nice.

Tags: Championship · Coaching · EFL Cup · Newcastle News · Other News

111 responses so far ↓

• 1 Mag52 // Sep 18, 2016 at 2:37 PM

‘Fart too many’. Spot on ed.

• 2 Ibizatoon // Sep 18, 2016 at 2:46 PM

Flatulence out! Or would it be in?

• 3 Jib // Sep 18, 2016 at 2:47 PM

It was pretty clear that Ritchie was getting wound up yesterday.
    Was it the officials , the opposition or his teammates ?

• 4 Jib // Sep 18, 2016 at 2:48 PM

Ibiza
    Where ere you be
    Let your wind go free

• 5 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 3:33 PM

As my pre match post hinted, there was always a danger of this happening. Anybody blaming Rafa’s tactics wasn’t watching the same game as I was. This was soundly down to players having a bad day – after the Lord Mayor’s show. Rafa can’t be blamed, nor should he be, when professional footballers somehow lose the ability to trap a ball, control it meaningfully or make a ten yard pass. I had a horrible feeling this might happen. Not so much the result, but the performance. I still thought we could win, but it clearly wasn’t going to be the cakewalk people were expecting. That said, it’s not the end of the world ffs. People get carried away after a good win, then go to the other end of the spectrum after a loss. We ain’t gonna win every game. Get over it. I’ve made my point on booing before. Apart from how stupid people look imitating a cow, it doesn’t help and never has. The last thing we want is players being nervous about playing at home, yet that is exactly what we’ll get. I’m pretty sure the players know how bad they played without any input from us. It’s your choice of course, but just remember it doesn’t help anybody. It never has and it never will.
    Yesterday was a real shocking performance, but we have the right man in charge to put it right. We have no more right to win games in this league as any of the other clubs. We need to earn that right – as we did at Loftus Road. Bad game. Nobody shone really and just as we win as a team, we also lose as one. Put it behind us and win the next game, because the next game is the one we can influence. Anybody expecting us to steamroll this league – I mean seriously, not in a joking manner – isn’t being realistic. We’re one of 24 teams fighting for promotion and nobody is going to roll over for us. My advice would be to get behind the team 100%, win lose or draw.

• 6 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 3:40 PM

Don’t tell Ed – Charlie Austin just scored. 😉

• 7 Ron Knee // Sep 18, 2016 at 3:44 PM

Percy spared us his dance this time.

• 8 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 3:44 PM

Ron 🙂

• 9 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Belter from Andros Townsend.

• 10 Ron Knee // Sep 18, 2016 at 3:46 PM

Townsend makes it 4-0.

• 11 Ron Knee // Sep 18, 2016 at 3:50 PM

Bobby

It’s interesting that you don’t blame Rafa’s tactics. You were there, I wasn’t. You think the team he selected was good enough to win?

• 12 welshgeordie9 // Sep 18, 2016 at 3:54 PM

Dipstick sissoko starts for Spurs.

• 13 welshgeordie9 // Sep 18, 2016 at 3:59 PM

Ron

Any manager would think and try and get their tactics right before kick off so no one knows what’s going to happen during the match, hindsight is wonderful thing don’t you think.

• 14 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 3:59 PM

I might have gone with a big man up front Ron, but apart from that the team he put out was good enough on paper. The main problem imo was the sudden loss of ability that the same players have shown previously to have. I lost count of the times players failed to control the ball without any real pressure on them. Match that with an inability to pick even a ten yard pass out and you have a recipe for failure. I’ve put it down to a bad day at the office mate from all concerned. I’m pretty sure Rafa didn’t say ‘pass to their players every chance you get’, but sadly that’s what happened. Once over the line, a manager has to rely on his players to follow his plan. That clearly wasn’t his plan! Typical Newcastle really. Just as typical will be for us to turn the same team over on Tuesday night. Games like this happen to all teams, but it’s how they respond that really matters.

• 15 martoon // Sep 18, 2016 at 3:59 PM

I actually thought the crowd were very patient. After going a goal down there was no booing or getting on the player’s backs. Fans still expected us to make a come back and they were still singing the Rafa song. After the second goal the crowd were understandably antagonistic but I still didn’t hear any booing!

• 16 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 4:05 PM

Sadly I heard it Martoon. Glad to have caught you actually. I trust that as I picked Arma to be Newcastle’s top scorer, his goals at Barnsley still count? He is a Newcastle player and the goals are in the same league after all. Chances are he’ll come back in January, so goals scored should carry over.

• 17 martoon // Sep 18, 2016 at 4:06 PM

Bobby I agree with you but the thing that disappointed me was why Rafa didn’t try and change things at half time. Maybe bring on Mitro and Atzu but he kept it the same and we were as bad second half as we were the first.

• 18 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 4:11 PM

Martoon, I think Rafa likes to give players a chance to put things right before making changes. It’s not like we were getting battered after all. Wolves were as bad as us, apart from gifting us goals. Nobody can account for an own goal, or Perez giving the ball away too close to our own penalty area. He was poor again, after looking better at QPR – but then, he wasn’t alone! These games happen to all clubs mate, let’s see how we respond next time out.

• 19 martoon // Sep 18, 2016 at 4:12 PM

Bobby good question that I hadn’t thought about – go on then I’ll allow it as it is the same league be different if it was say an easier French league. Anybody complains I’ll take my ball and go home 🙂

• 20 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 4:16 PM

Mart, wouldn’t even ask if he was playing in an inferior league matey, but he’s scoring against the same opposition after all. I thank you for that anyway – a fine choice if I may add. 🙂 He scored another cracker yesterday, just highlighting what we’re missing – a purely instinctive striker.

• 21 Mag52 // Sep 18, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Couple of good wins for our ex managers AP and CH putting their teams into 8th. and 7th. positions respectively.
    Looks like we’ll be battling Brighton for promotion throughout the season.

• 22 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 18, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Martoon
    The crowd were very patient if a little frustrated.
    The only booing came at the end and a couple of the toon players came over to the Gallowgate End got a good round of applause.

• 23 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 18, 2016 at 4:22 PM

Bobby

Good try, but I don’t think that that idea is going to swing the top scorer spot, he aint scoring them for us!

All I saw of the game other than the limited highlights Saturday night, was the periscope version and for the ten or so minutes I watched until the Mbemba own goal I thought we were doing ok. Obviously from what I’ve been reading we weren’t.

My prediction of only 5 losses this season isn’t looking to good at the moment. Still no one should be thinking of jumping off the Tyne Bridge yet, the season is still young and we are in a good position squad wise.

Might see the other contenders start to struggle once they start getting the inevitable injuries that go with this league.

• 24 magscar // Sep 18, 2016 at 4:22 PM

Martoon

I am with you – never heard any booing where i was so must have been depending where you were Bobby ( ?) but the atmosphere was certainly spasmodic.

• 25 Blackley and Brownlie // Sep 18, 2016 at 4:25 PM

I don’t recall hearing any booing yesterday. Usually, when there is booing, it’s from a minority. But even if there is booing, so what? It happens when fans aren’t happy with the performance. It’s a way some fans choose to give the players a jolt. The players and manager understand that.

The ref was as bad as we were. He deserved to be booed.

• 26 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 4:29 PM

The boo boys are a minority and not a true reflection on our fanbase. I’ve never booed, simply because nobody forces me to pay for a ST – I make that choice. If I’m that unhappy I can always stop going after all. I want our players to be comfortable playing at home, not nervous. Some of our fans expect too much sometimes, but a lot of them only turn up when they expect us to win easily. When they don’t get their own way, they sulk. 🙂 We have an important job to do for the team and that’s to lift them. Before booing people need to think about its long term effects imo

• 27 davis_toons // Sep 18, 2016 at 4:29 PM

Palace Attack is strong with physical players.

What’s Alan Pardew cooking there? ..Flamini with Cabaye..

• 28 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 4:33 PM

Right, after bitter disappointment yesterday, I’m going to settle down and hopefully cheer myself up by watching scum get battered. Fingers crossed. 🙂

• 29 martoon // Sep 18, 2016 at 4:39 PM

Bobby @28 – Aye I want Spurs to win but I don’t want Sissoko to score or have a good game – petty I know!

• 30 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 4:44 PM

Martoon, don’t care who scores tbh. Would be ironic if sissoko could score though, considering his lack of goals recently for us.

• 31 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 18, 2016 at 4:52 PM

Martoon I had already typed my comment before I realised you’d made a decision so as you said its your ball so whatever you say is good for me.

Don’t agree though. 😉

• 32 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 18, 2016 at 4:53 PM

Have to say that that CP number ten looked good for them!!

• 33 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:17 PM

There was an element who booed, which I thought was ridiculous as you can’t play well every game and their two goals were literally gifted to them. It was poor all round, but it wasn’t the shambles that we’ve seen week after week before under the other jokers.

It should also be noted that at the end of the game, a lot of those who didn’t sneak off early gave some good backing to the team as well with some songs, regardless off the loss.

• 34 Munster Mag // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:18 PM

As a few of us have said before, if pardew is given the fast powerhouse players he wants for his style of football he will get them to mid table or a bit lower. Cocky sod and hope they go down with the mackems but if he keeps them fit i think they will fine.

• 35 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:23 PM

LR32, like I said mate, some of the fans only turn up when they expect us to win comfortably and cry when we don’t. Totally irrelevant fans. The majority get gehind the team and will be there through thick and thin. The fans that really matter. Fully expect Rafa and the boys to bounce back after that though. 🙂 Can’t see us being that bad twice, just as I didn’t expect another 6-0 walkover yesterday. Spuds totally dominating scum, but need to be careful not to get caught out. Spuds have had about 20 shots to scum’s three, which kinda sums it up.

• 36 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:27 PM

Sorry Bill, but the gaffer has spoken. 😉 Let’s hope Arma can score crucial goals against our main rivals, so everybody is happy. Couple of crackers so far mind.

• 37 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:29 PM

Bobby, I was hoping for a comfortable win, like most were, but things like this happen. It’s not a problem, it’s all part of the development. The long term trend is still a positive one, and that’s what matters.

As I said yesterday, they closed down well throughout the game but I didn’t really see them scoring apart from the odd scare which is natural during the game. It was more like a 0-0 if anything, but they were gifted those two on a plate and that won’t happen every time for them.

• 38 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:34 PM

LR, about sums it up mate. We couldn’t string three passes together, but Rafa will sort them out. That’s why he’s won what he’s won in the past. 0-0 would have been the result, had we not been in such a generous mood.

• 39 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:36 PM

Don’t know if it’s been mentioned on here but as I was driving back after the game, Rafa was very late in doing the Radio Newcastle interview because he had the players locked in the dressing room for over half an hour, if not longer.

• 40 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Mitro should have a done a lot better with his chance I thought.

• 41 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:40 PM

LR, should’ve kept them in until Tuesday night after that performance.! 🙂

• 42 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:45 PM

Get in! 🙂

• 43 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:47 PM

David Moyes’ red and white wakners! 🙂

• 44 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:47 PM

Laurent
    Thought there keeper did well to block his shot – maybe he should of tried to chip him as he went down.

Mind you Mitro 1on1 with keepers is poor.

• 45 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:47 PM

John Anderson said on the radio post-match that Mick Lowes suggested Rafa should play exactly the same team on Tuesday, but doubts that will be the case. Yedlin, Lazaar, Atsu etc need the games.

• 46 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:49 PM

I was just about to say that Sundalamd were defending doggedly but from Bobbies comment they must have scored, I’d only just moved away from the TV.

• 47 Jib // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:50 PM

Bobby
    Moyes gone by Xmas methinks

• 48 toonking // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:50 PM

The next few matches could be key.

Wolves(H) has Rafa learned much following this defeat or do we deem ourselves knocked out of the cup

Villa (A) dout this fixture will be any harder that most championship fixtures. Losses are already stacking up and that’s the last thing we need if we are to get auto promotion. I’d probably table a boring draw or win any day because the following fixture is a must win.

Norwich (H) A team I believe will be one of our main rivals this match is a must win a loss and we’ll be creating a points gap to 2nd

• 49 Ron Knee // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:51 PM

LR@39

That should have had the desired effect!

• 50 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:51 PM

LR I think Yedlin will have to play as Anita can’t or doesn’t the red card apply to a cup game.

• 51 Jib // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:51 PM

McClaren is looking for a job
    😎

• 52 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Jib, they’ll do the usual mate. Sack the manager when all seems lost then try to ride the honeymoon express to safety. Gonna fail though hopefully. They can’t keep surviving by the skin of their teeth.

• 53 Jib // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:56 PM

Watmore looks OK
    A cheeky bid by Rafa in Jan to keep him in the NE could work.
    😀

• 54 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:56 PM

Jib, if they hire Mclaren the honeymoon express will be well and truly derailed! 🙂

• 55 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Charlie, it was a chip shot all day long that. I’d have done it and have done in 11 asides before. Keepers block a lot of shots because the player gets too close to them.

• 56 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 18, 2016 at 5:59 PM

Ron, hopefully.

Bill, not sure. Shame, because Anita has done really well since Rafa has been in.

• 57 toonking // Sep 18, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Munster

He always has looked keen on fast paced players obatan would be welcomed. He’ll have these decent starts to a season and terrible finishes to a season now that his players have lost pace. Vardy should beg pardew to be next English England manager he’ll be the first player on the sheet

• 58 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 18, 2016 at 6:01 PM

I remember that as good as Sir Les and Bellamy were, they missed an unsightly amount of one-on-ones.

I even counted Bellamy’s one year. I think it got to over 30.

• 59 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 6:03 PM

I believe the ban covers any competition covered by the FA, so Anita will be out for Tuesday night.

• 60 toonking // Sep 18, 2016 at 6:05 PM

Still very early into the season but stoke and Sunderland look relegation.

• 61 Jib // Sep 18, 2016 at 6:10 PM

Toonking
    You won’t get an argument from me
    Who joins Stoke and Sunlun is the Q
    The Swans probably
    Sorry Welshie pal

• 62 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 6:12 PM

Pickford has saved the mackems from a rugby score today.

• 63 Bobbybee // Sep 18, 2016 at 6:17 PM

And a red card to round the day off. Happy days.

• 64 lukes26 // Sep 18, 2016 at 6:19 PM

what a pyrrhic win for tottenham. 3 pts, but look to have lost dembele, kane and possibly dier

• 65 firebug666 // Sep 18, 2016 at 6:19 PM

Bobbybee

So that’s 7 yellows in total for the makems today, two resulting in a red.

• 66 jasper // Sep 18, 2016 at 6:19 PM

For those that were not there and have been asking Thump and Gingertom have it right. It was just like the Huddersfield game. They pressed and we did not have an answer.

The way to beat a press is to move the ball quickly and tire them out. But to do this you need players who are comfortable to receive it. But we have Dummett…..
    The passing was slow, the ball needs to ping about. Players were disappearing, which of course means that they did not make the effort to make themselves available for a pass, especially in central midfield.
    Diameter and Hayden hardly touched the ball in the first 20 mins.
    This resulted in two many long balls forward, both arial – to a small forward – and along the ground but picked off (Lascalles, Shelvey and Mbemba several times)..

The players who did try to make themselves available were Anita, Ritchie and, to be fair, Gayle. Gayle made many Bellamy-like runs looking for an opportunity like at Bristol but never got a sniff. He also dropped off the defenders into midfield but when the ball came forward there wasn’t enough movement off him.

Probably would have benefitted from Perez in the hole. Really need alternate to Dummett, the opposition have him sussed. What bothered me the most was the half hearted way he overlapped when we were in possession, he never sprinted forward. He seemed unwilling to commit.

Another worry is that Mitro doesn’t seem to win many first headers against the CBs. More pussy cat than lion. Needs some lessons from Shearer (or for that matter Shola) as to how to combat CBs, how to move them and win headers.

It will be interesting to see how hard the Wolves (second?) team press on Tuesday.
    To be cont……

• 67 lukes26 // Sep 18, 2016 at 6:21 PM

I feel really bad for moyes actually. sunderland seem to be a well organized mess.

• 68 toonking // Sep 18, 2016 at 6:22 PM

No matter how early into the season we are the title seems as clear as day, man city themselves look a mile ahead of the rest. 2nd-4th could be anyone

• 69 Tsunki // Sep 18, 2016 at 6:31 PM

A year and a half since King Percy abandoned the sinking ship Newcastle and still we get the justifications of his eminent averageness on the rare occasions he gets a decent result. Hail to the King! Adequacy rules!

• 70 Jib // Sep 18, 2016 at 6:56 PM

Tsunki
    Is that the best you can do ?
    A bit of disparagement for an ex NUFC employee that most of us don’t give a fig for !
    Sad twat

• 71 sing in the corner // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:05 PM

Hoping to see Murphy or Mitro start on Tuesday. We need to offer more of a physical presence against Wolves. Got tickets for the East Corner again, proper bargain prices so hope there’s a good sized crowd and a revenge performance!
    Howay the lads!

• 72 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:18 PM

Just watched an abysmal match between Sunderland and Spurs. Sunderland would struggle in the MLS. I think they’ll go down two divisions in the next two seasons. Moyes had better walk away quickly. There is a bad stench around that club.

• 73 jazzyp // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:18 PM

The only booing I heard yesterday was towards Perez. Because the second half he gave up and did not even try.
    How many passes went direct to there players……How many times did he let a player just drift by him.
    And the second half when he let Atsu’s cross just sail by him and didn’t even chase it down drew most anger from the crowd.

• 74 Jib // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:23 PM

Geordie Two

Unfortunately for you we get the MLS shown here .

Sunderland – shit as they are – would walk the MLS.

Didier Drogba 39 next March looks like a star for Montreal !

Get real ffs

• 75 lochinvar // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Earlier blog – why should Goffran have to fight for his place ! He’s one of the few who’s earned it so far. In fact he would have made a difference yesterday. Don’t want to see him play againstWolves in the Cup though – better to keep him fresh for the Villa game.

• 76 martoon // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:24 PM

You can always rely on NUFC.com to sum thing up well
    “Today was classic Newcastle, building up their fans by winning away, only to fluff their lines on home turf in a manner that has frustrated crowds for decades.”
    Aye says it all really.

• 77 Rotonda heights // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Jib

I’m not sure if you are vulnerable with a capital V or a nutter with a capital N.

• 78 andrew84 // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:30 PM

Being as polite and friendly as ever there, Jib.

Next time you’re doing your Googling you might want to look up ‘netiquette’.

• 79 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:32 PM

Spot on lochinvar @75. Gouffran should have been in the side against Wolves. Perez hasn’t played well enough often enough to start.

• 80 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:34 PM

Mitrovic’s performance didn’t escape the NUFC.com eyes either martoon. Sounds like he was very poor indeed along with Perez.

• 81 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:34 PM

I’m probably one of the few who doesn’t want to see Sundadland relegated. I want some payback for the recent defeats by them and anyway the Derby games would be a miss.

• 82 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:39 PM

Sunderland and Stoke in a race to see who can be the worst in the Prem this season. It should go right to the end. I pick Sunderland to finish the season on 15 points.

• 83 Jib // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Is andrew

Mr Tuff
    or
    Jail for Ashley
    or
    Tsunki
    or
    BandB ?

who knows ?
    who cares ?

• 84 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:44 PM

I like the derby matches as well Essex mate. I just can’t see Sunderland staying up to play them. We just have to work hard to go in the opposite direction to them.

• 85 martoon // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:47 PM

GeordieTwo @80 – I have to say I didn’t think Mitro was any worse than the others but after he missed the one on one I knew it wasn’t our day. Even our best player Richie nearly got himself sent off and our second best did get a red card – all in all in was a disastrous day.

• 86 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:50 PM

G2

Yeah I’ll pass on the derby matches if it meant we had to stay down to play them. 😉

• 87 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:50 PM

Definitely a huge disappointment after the 6-0 martoon. We have to get back on track quickly. Surely we can beat Villa, then Norwich will be a real test and then Rotherham. A must 6 or 7 points from those three.

• 88 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:52 PM

An average of 2 points per match over the entire season would do me. That would be 92 points, surely enough to win the Champs. The real threat is probably Norwich in the long run.

• 89 Average_Contents // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:55 PM

Obviously you do because you’ve mentioned it you maggot.

• 90 andrew84 // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:55 PM

Jib

I leave the multiple aliases to the likes of your good self – I’ve had one account on here since I joined and that was around three and a half years ago. I mainly just read the comments.

I wish I was any one of those people you mentioned though, they’re very skilled at putting you in your place without even getting out of second gear Jib 🙂

• 91 Jib // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:57 PM

Pretty close G2
    Burnley and Boro went up automatically
    Burnley 93 points
    Boro 89 points

• 92 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:58 PM

I’m happy to post my team for Tuesday now.

Jail Rafa bingo

Darlow
    Yedlin Hanley Lascelles Jesus
    Colback Shelvey
    Richey Gouffron Atsu
    Murphy

I think he’ll make sweeping changes to eradicate any complacency. Probably what he was telling them in the dressing room after the match, love to have had a spy camera in there.

• 93 WWSBRD // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:59 PM

Haha Jib is having a ball today isn’t he

• 94 Jib // Sep 18, 2016 at 8:00 PM

andrew do be brief
    Your first post for 6 weeks is to have a pop at the etiquette of the blog bad boy.
    😀

• 95 andrew84 // Sep 18, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Jib

I had to bite my tongue for 5 weeks and 4 days of that 🙂

• 96 Jib // Sep 18, 2016 at 8:08 PM

After 8 games we have 15 points
    Last season after 8 games
    Burnley 15 points
    Boro 17 points

• 97 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 18, 2016 at 8:11 PM

Jib

Just to back up your comment re. the MLS standard, that American who played for Sundaland and was rubbish looks like a class act now back in the USA.

Can’t remember his name although it’ll come to me sometime before the week is out.

• 98 Jib // Sep 18, 2016 at 8:12 PM

As a matter of interest the season before
    McLarens Derby had 13 points after 8 games

• 99 Jib // Sep 18, 2016 at 8:14 PM

Jozy Altidore

• 100 Jail for Ashley // Sep 18, 2016 at 8:17 PM

I take it no one has come forward to claim their five points for Rafa bingo.

• 101 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2016 at 8:23 PM

A more consistent work rate needed from almost everybody in the team. Let’s see if we get it.

• 102 GeordieTwo // Sep 18, 2016 at 8:26 PM

The overall MLS standard is fairly poor. Lots of hoofball. I don’t think it would compare well with the Championship. I watch a lot of the west coast teams and Toronto from the East. Toronto has a great player in Giovinco although he’s injured right now. Vancouver has plummeted, Seattle is poor, as is Portland. None of them would manage a top 6 finish in the Championship except possibly Toronto but I don’t think they’re anywhere near deep enough to manage a 46 game schedule plus cup games.

• 103 TyneMouth // Sep 18, 2016 at 8:31 PM

Some you win, some you loose, but you very rarely win 6-0 away, and conversely you would realistically not expect to be beaten,at home, by a side beaten 0-4, at home, in their previous game.
    Both games should be considered the exception, all is not lost, yet.
    The good, the bad and the ugly, all part of life’s rich pattern.
    VIVA BENITEZ
    ps; Bottle of bubbly for Rafa last Tuesday, contender for a bottle of Sarson’s finest yesterday, perhaps…

• 104 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 18, 2016 at 8:41 PM

G2/Jib

Just to ccmpound the differences there is a CB who was rubbish in the EPL last season who is having a great time at Portland.

Jib, yeah thats the guy Altidore.

Jail doesn’t the claimant have to made exactly the correct selection. If not I got 10 out of 11 and will chuck my hat into the ring.

• 105 Jail for Ashley // Sep 18, 2016 at 8:49 PM

EGB,
    Nope, got to be a full house!

• 106 Jail for Ashley // Sep 18, 2016 at 8:52 PM

“Rafa’s bingo is the first eleven no prizes for guessing ten, five or seven”

• 107 BandB // Sep 18, 2016 at 8:56 PM

Jib

You have been having fun. haven’t you?
    So much time on your hands for a polymath.
    You’d think you had better thing to do with all that post-postman education than to haunt a football blog full time.
    Anyway, I have have a half an hour and I’m all yours, chuck.
    Let’s see if you can finally get one on the board, shit for brains.

You could try that gin and bingo thingy again……always gets a hoot.

• 108 Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 18, 2016 at 9:18 PM

Didn’t see or hear any of the game, and haven’t watched any of the ‘highlights’ either so far, but it sounds a pretty lacklustre performance based on the result and reports.

I’m all for the full use of the squad, rotation, and competition for places, but rotating for the sake of it doesn’t provide a competitive atmosphere within the squad. I probably wouldn’t have been keen to change anything from that line up, other than maybe Mitro, as he is still building up match fitness.

Mitro and Murphy both need a run out in the cup – not entirely sure how you give them both decent game time without a formation change though.Two big games coming up against Villa and Norwich so we need those two, plus Atsu, Lazaar and Yedlin getting minutes under their belt so they are better prepared if required.

• 109 Average_Contents // Sep 18, 2016 at 9:25 PM

Don’t forget that BFPO address. Or the lecturer of modern history. Or professor of fcukall.

There’s many others.

There’s not been a bigger Billy bullsh1tter since ian, I mean carl, I mean pushy, I mean whoever the fcuk else that other maggot decides who he isn’t.

Slimeballs.

• 110 BandB // Sep 18, 2016 at 9:30 PM

Tick, tick.

I guess he’s in a fire fight in a foxhole somewhere down in Helmand Province, or perhaps took half an hour out of his busy day to finally mark some papers.
    Okay, I shall elope.