The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Benitez Concerned About Losing This Player

8:21 am, Monday, September 19th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 12 Comments

One of our best players this season has been Vurnon Anita at right back, but Vurnon received a straight red card on Saturday just three minutes before the end of the 2-0 home defeat to Wolves on Saturday to make matters that little bit worse.

We seemed to have shot ourselves in the foot – as we did last season nearly all the time.

Vurnon Anita receives red card after 87 minutes

But as Vurnon solemnly walked off the pitch, Rafa gave him some words of encouragement before he went to the changing room and the manager said after the game that he didn’t even think it was a foul, never mind a red card.

Here’s what Rafa said about the incident after the game:

“It was not even a foul.” “It was a surprise.”

“I don’t know if we can appeal it because I think everybody can see. Hopefully we won’t lose him for three games.”

“We will see.”

It looked like the challenge was a bit rash and it was studs up, so if Newcastle do appeal against the red card we don’t think the red card will be overturned.

We suppose there’s a chance if the appeal is frivolous that the ban could even be extended to four games.

Rafa seems to protest the red card as Anita walks off

That’s to stop clubs automatically appealing every single red-card in the hopes of getting them overturned.

We’d be surprised if Newcastle do issue an appeal, but we should find out today.

Rafa Benitez has his press conference coming up later today for tomorrow’s night’s EFL 3rd round cup tie against Wolves so he may mention it then.

Tags: Coaching · Discipline · Management · Newcastle News · Other News

12 responses so far ↓

• 1 Sav // Sep 19, 2016 at 8:33 AM

Glad rafa said it. I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought a red card was very harsh. His leg is side on and its his shin he comes in with. A fraction late, yes, but hardly ‘studs up’.

• 2 Budge123 // Sep 19, 2016 at 8:38 AM

Looked like a red card at the match. I haven’t seen it since though.
    We are well covered at right back so shouldn’t be an issue.
    Perhaps play Perez there – Rafa likes to play him out of position.

• 3 hibbit // Sep 19, 2016 at 8:47 AM

morning all
    as most on here know i am a season ticket holder and a big Rafa fan

we played well below par on saturday and lots of people have lots of reasons as to why
    well in the cold light of day maybe its time to admit the main reason we got beat by a very poor team was Rafa got it wrong

• 4 magscar // Sep 19, 2016 at 9:08 AM

I was also at match and was disappointed with team selection up front but still felt there was enough there to get a result.

I am not sure why he is persevering with a Gayle Diame partnership when he ought to have options in Mitro and Murphy by now. Diame clearly isn’t up to speed yet and isn’t a natural No 10 but Rafa presumably wants Hayden/Colback and Shelvey in CM so he is another player along with Perez shoehorned into a side.

This wouldn’t matter quite so much if they understood their roles and linked better and moved for balls from Ritchie and Shelvey. Wolves easily snuffed them out and again Perez and Gayle looked lightweight against an organised defence with little room for manoeuvre behind.

We all know how teams are going to play against us and need to be patient but also brighter. Worryingly when we go behind the problem is magnified. Opposition have something to defend and become harder to breakdown but we had no guile or pace to enable us to do so.

We need some pace in side Atsu Lazarr and Yedlin ? to get in behind tight defences.

Tomorrow should be interesting as surely we can’t play any worse than Sat (although that is what I was saying at halftime!?)

• 5 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2016 at 9:10 AM

Appeal it if hes still banned then it just means Yedlin gets to cement his place in the team

Where is Perez’s position though?

• 6 magscar // Sep 19, 2016 at 9:11 AM

I also thought at match that it looked a wild and out of control tackle but not malicious but I was high up on stand and Rafa was closer so maybe he is right. Really miss all those endless replays on MOTD 🙂

• 7 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2016 at 9:16 AM

Tbf other than Perez on the left it was a good team

• 8 magscar // Sep 19, 2016 at 9:17 AM

Problem with appeals at this level is presumably lack of camera angles to support your contention. In PL incidents have usually been replayed from every possible angle on TV over the weekend and appeal is easier to assess and make 🙁

• 9 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2016 at 9:20 AM

true but no harm in trying to appeal it as I say its no great loss if we fail in it

• 10 magscar // Sep 19, 2016 at 9:23 AM

I don’t think Gayle and Diame partnership had been working mostly. I assume it is match fitness issues that are making Rafa hesitant about Mitro ?

Perez on left is also hampered by Dummet’s lack of pace and poor distribution against organised disciplined defences.

• 11 Budge123 // Sep 19, 2016 at 9:32 AM

WWS – perez best position for me is on the bench!

The team shape was wrong on Saturday. But more importantly the style of play they produced was wrong for the players on the pitch.

Rafa got it wrong end of. But it’s time to move on. I imagine he learns far more from these games than anyone else. I would like to see us 2 upfront at home. But that doesn’t look like it’s going to be the case.

Diame is a worry – he should be up to speed by now but clearly isn’t?

• 12 Slank // Sep 19, 2016 at 9:32 AM

I would say that Perez’s best position is No 10 between the centreforward and the midfield. But to play him in that position may need a change of formation.

For the cup game I would go 4-4-2 with the majority of players who played on Saturday. I would like to think that the performance on Saturday was a blip and the previous performances since our last defeat are more indicative of how the team perform. My team:

Yedlin – Mbemba – Lascelles – Lazaar
    Atsu – Hayden – Shelvey – Gouffran
    Perez – Mitrovich

The spine of the team should be Sels, Lascelles, Shelvey and Mitrovich. I have doubts about Mitrovich but feel he may blossom with players like Atsu, Yedlin and Lazaar bombing down the wings.

The weakness as I see it is our right with Yedlin and Atsu playing together for the first time. Different on the left side with Gouffran supporting Lazaar.

previous post: Rafa’s Frame Of Mind Revealed After Stunning Defeat