The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Here’s A Newcastle Team That Can Beat Wolves

4:03 pm, Monday, September 19th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 64 Comments

It’s going to be really important that Newcastle put in a good performance tomorrow night against Wolves and hopefully get the win that will take us into round 4 of the EFL Cup and the last 16 of the competition.

Rafa still has to give debuts to Daryl Murphy and Achraf Lazaar and we think that Daryl is likely to get a start tomorrow night.

Daryl Murphy – could start tomorrow night

We don’t have Lazaar in our starting eleven but he could come on from the bench against Wolves and make his debut.

Here’s our Newcastle team for tomorrow night.

Yedlin Lascelles (c) Hanley Clark
Colback Hayden
Atsu Perez Gouffran

That’s eight changes from the side that lost to Wolves on Saturday – so maybe that’s too many changes, but a lot of the players in the team need a game.

We are assuming Vurnon Anita will not play and that Newcastle’sΒ appeal to get his red card overturned will be turned down by the FA.

What’s your team for tomorrow night?

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Wolves?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Daryl Murphy · EFL · EFL Cup · Newcastle News · Poll

64 responses so far ↓

• 1 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 19, 2016 at 4:13 PM

The train has just arrived from the previous thread.

i suppose I’d better hold up my hands for the Wolves loss, it was probably karma for the way I was laughing at those who who voted for a loss, sorry chaps.

Said i would re-post this:-

I have just been watching some of the closing ceremony of the Para Olympics and people have been tweeting their best moments.

My best memory was watching a women with no arms swimming in the two hundred metres individual medley. She came last but overcoming her handicap they way she did was awe inspiring.

I’ll probably re-post this when there are more people on, its worth repeating in my opinion.

And an interesting little known fact about Donald Trump, allegedly Eric Cartman was modeled on him as a child. Makes sense to me!!

• 2 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Aye Bill, I missed the bus/train this time as well. πŸ™‚ I responded to Mr Tuff’s post on the previous page if anybody can be bothered to read it. It’s amazing how many times somebody responds, only to find Ed has already moved on. As they would say on the Fast Show – …bugger. πŸ™‚

• 3 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 4:23 PM

• 4 Toonarmymarcheson // Sep 19, 2016 at 4:25 PM

Could it be that unless Shelvey ticks the wheel come off far too quickly. Despite a big squad we seem to be reliant on our modern day kojak to orchestrate proceedings. I’m not prepared to suck his lolly..not even for 3 points against the Villa but we have no plan B. Plan A wasn’t great but good enough against the rubbish in the championship

• 5 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Toonarmyetc, I think that’s the thinking behind bringing Judge in from Brentford – to provide an alternative to a midfield general who can orchestrate the attack. Personally I’ll give Shelvey a pass for Saturday, simply because the whole lot failed to respond to the win at QPR. When he’s good he’s very good – but that discounts Saturday’s performance. πŸ™‚

My brother got the tickets for tomorrow night and as there’s five of us going, could only get five seats together on the back row of the Gallowgate. Not sure how he thinks my wheelchair can get up there like! πŸ™‚ Should be entertaining if nothing else. His solution is that we’ll take the lift up and then carry me to my seat. Brotherly love eh? πŸ™‚

• 6 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 19, 2016 at 4:35 PM

Bobby do you watch South Park, latest is spot on.

Clinton is standing as the Turd Sandwich and Trump as the Douch Bag (a South Park character but it is Trump they mean)

• 7 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 19, 2016 at 4:37 PM

Bobby, hope you aint heavy.

• 8 Ron Knee // Sep 19, 2016 at 4:38 PM

I see they’ve arrested the alleged NY bomber.

• 9 hibbit // Sep 19, 2016 at 4:44 PM

that’s were your wrong the championship and the teams that play in it are not rubbish some very good team and lots of very good plays who will all raise their game against us

the championship was never going to to be the walk in the park a lot on here were predicting

• 10 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 4:46 PM

Bill, I’ve missed this season’s South Park, but it doesn’t take the greatest imagination to figure their take on the election. πŸ™‚ A shit or a turd just about sums them up. I’ve been keeping up on the Oversight enquiry to the Benghazi debacle on youtube, as MSM seems to be avoiding it. All I can say is I’m glad I don’t work for them! Absolutely shocking how she left them to die, despite them begging for armed assistance over and over again. Anyway, better leave it, or we’ll get done for talking politics. πŸ™‚

• 11 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 4:54 PM

Bill, not really heavy, but hardly a lightweight either! πŸ™‚ The way I see it is I’ll leave the wheelchair at the bottom of the lift and with their help and my crutches I’ll just about manage it. God knows how I’ll be on Wednesday morning like!! Still, I’ve got time to recover before the next game so wtf? πŸ™‚ I can live with the pain but not going would kill me for sure. I’m figuring that from the lift to the back row surely can’t be that far away? By that, I’m assuming that the lift goes right to the top. If not, they’re definitely carrying me to my seat! πŸ™‚

• 12 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 4:58 PM

Ron, alleged being the operative word. πŸ™‚

• 13 Ron Knee // Sep 19, 2016 at 5:02 PM

Wouldn’t want to get sued later!

• 14 Spoof // Sep 19, 2016 at 5:15 PM

Rotation has it’s advantages, keeps players on their toes with all of them hoping to get the nod, but what about fluidity, surely fluidity has got to be paramount and with constant changes you will never get fluidity, familiarity breeds continuity, but will we ever get that, we will get promoted, even without the fluidity due to the Championship being so poor, and it is fans supporting poor teams who believe it is a difficult league, it isn’t and its those fans who are so used to seeing very poor now believe that poor is difficult, we will go up, but after that a settled side will serve us better than never having fluidity due to having too many changes to regularly, Rafa needs to get a spine which he can work from and then stick to it, if he doesn’t then next season as I am sure that we will go up this will prove disappointing.

Look at Wales, Portugal, Watford, Leicester, they don’t have great players throughout there teams, but they have fluidity because they play together week in and week out and they all know each other very well, you don’t get that with an over aggressive rotation policy and sadly an over aggressive rotation policy is what we seem to have, make 2/3 changes and then leave it for 5/6 games and then make another 2/3 and leave for another 5/6 games is fine as players will get an extended run which is what all players crave, but 3/4 changes after every game gives you no chance at all at getting some good and consistent fluidity, come on Rafa, I can see that you are trying to keep a large squad happy, but you really need to tell one or two that next month is the earliest that they will be required, let then then build up their fitness for that period because one of the benefits of rotating will be lost, rotating keeps them fresh, well keeping 100% ready and then not playing will demoralise, I hate to say it but this rotation for me has more negatives than positives, we will go up, but long term, for me it’s a big no no.

• 15 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 5:15 PM

Ron yep, but I was thinking along the lines of him being yet another CIA operative following orders. Note to self: stop talking politics!!! πŸ™‚

• 16 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 5:31 PM

Spoof, the problem is Rafa has always done this rotation malarky and it clearly has served him well. He’s been so successful with it, he’s unlikely to change it because it doesn’t suit some of us. As stated earlier, this is what you get with Rafa and I thought everybody knew that when we were clamouring for him to stay? He does it his way and clearly in the past it’s worked – hence his success rate. We’ve been down the ‘purples’ road and it has been a disaster. We’ve got the best manager we could hope for, surely that’s beyond question? This is how he’s won so many trophies and like it or not, he’s not going to change now. I’m sure that once he finds his best eleven he’ll make that the backbone of his selections, but frankly, having had so much success in the past, I can’t see him changing it now. He knows what he’s doing far more than any of us, so it’s a matter of trusting his judgement. Saturday was just one of those days when the selected eleven was good enough had they played to anything like their ability. They fluffed their lines, it’s that simple. We’re only eight games in and nobody complained when we stuffed QPR 6-0. Let him do it his way is what I would advise. It might look haphazard right now, but he’s a winner and we’re not. We all wanted him to come in and do it his way and that’s exactly what we’re getting. I personally feel he’ll get it right and we’ll get promoted come May.

• 17 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2016 at 5:42 PM

Have you lot considered the perils of under-rotation? Excessive wear. Yes, that’s right. Do we want excessive wear marks on wor players? Imagine Richie with a big bald patch. No, we must rotate frequently lads!!!!

• 18 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 5:42 PM

Wise words from Rafa we need to take on board.

• 19 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2016 at 5:42 PM

Huzzah! We rotate on lads!!!

• 20 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2016 at 5:45 PM

I would rather we were not either the tail of the lion or the head of the mouse. I want us to be the mid-section of the giraffe Rafa! It’s where the cool clubs hang aboot!

• 21 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Or possibly the left nipple of the kangaroo….. Harrumph!

• 22 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2016 at 5:47 PM

Ron mate, what would you rather us be?

• 23 dok - the horrid colonial // Sep 19, 2016 at 5:48 PM

repost “Bill, got to feel sorry for the Americans. Their choice is a murdering, lying Clinton, or the party the brought us 9/11 and WMD’s. Some bloody choice lmao!”

lets keep this off the board, please… you weren’t there… I was…

• 24 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2016 at 5:49 PM

The tail of the lion….. that’s Sunderland’s spot until the season ends isn’t it?

• 25 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 5:57 PM

Dok… and? Doesn’t stop you commenting on NUFC despite never being there. I will keep it off, but I was responding to someone and despite not being there, I know that buildings don’t fall down in a straight line. I know this because i understand physics and have done a hell of a lot of research on it. Still, as previously stated, I’ll keep politics off the blog.

• 26 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Someone mentioned they wanted us to be the right plum of the aardvark. No, that’s going too far!

• 27 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:02 PM

Here’s hoping we get back on track. If people are going to boo a single poor game in a run of wins it’s going to be a long, hard season for the lads.

• 28 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:04 PM

G2, Sunlun are beyond the tail mate; they’re the little turd that dropped out from beneath said tail πŸ™‚

• 29 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:06 PM

Agreed Bobby mate. They have only Stoke to keep them company. Hard to believe Stoke are as bad as Sunderland. Worse goal difference! Poor old Shay Given! I bet he wishes he was back in Newcastle with Rafa.

• 30 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:10 PM

G2, the difference is I can see Stoke getting out of trouble with the players they’ve got. Sunlun on the other hand have a team of poor players and a manager completely out of his depth. Good innit? πŸ™‚

• 31 GeordieTwo // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:11 PM

I just wonder how long Moyes will last there. He’s probably already wishing he’d never taken the job.

• 32 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:22 PM

Sundaland have some good players, I’m sure Rafa is taking note for the January window.

• 33 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:23 PM

G2, I’ll give him until Christmas at best. Then again, you know what’ll happen. They’ll do as they always have: sack whoever is in charge towards the end of the season and hope to ride the good old train ‘Honeymoon Express’ to keep them in the PL. The difference this season is 1: no six points of us and 2: they’ll be too far adrift to make any difference πŸ™‚ They’ve been the new Wigan for too long now and we all know what happened to them. Their days of top flight football looks well and truly numbered.

• 34 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:24 PM

Aye the Goalkeeper Pickford – would take him straight away – gonna be a excellent keeper.
    And Kone

• 35 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:28 PM

Bill, isn’t Sundaland an area of Africa where humans first evolved – again, allegedly – whereas Sunderland is where you prove evolution never really happened? πŸ™‚

• 36 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:31 PM

Charlie, no denying Pickford kept them alive at Spurs – he had a blinder. Looks like a real prospect once he moves. Kone too is a decent player looking for a move by all accounts – despite signing a nice new lucrative contract.
    So, to quote Life Of Brian, apart from Pickford and Kone, who have they got that we might want. πŸ™‚

• 37 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:33 PM

• 38 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:33 PM

I suppose if Moyes is sacked then he’ll be in line for the England job.

• 39 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:35 PM

Oh and Mvila, Watmore and Van Aanholt

• 40 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Yes that is a deliberate miss spelling alluding to prehistoric pre-evolution species.

• 41 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:38 PM

WWSBRD, naw, he takes so many chances to score a goal and to be fair, always has. He’s lucky to score one in seven chances over a season. We’ve got a young lad on loan who’s better than defoe imo. Just watch in the future how many he misses before getting a goal. Too many for my liking.

• 42 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:41 PM

Ah, now you’re all getting silly. πŸ™‚ If they were ALL that good, they wouldn’t be stuck at the bottom of the table. They might have the odd good game, but that’s about it. As no doubt the table will show in May, as we go up and they go down. πŸ™‚

• 43 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:42 PM

Am talking about when they signed Defoe tbf, if we had signed him rather than Sunderland we’d be in the PL right now natural goalscorer

• 44 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:43 PM

We are in the Championship, other than arguably Watmore they’d all get in our team on a regular basis

• 45 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:44 PM

You beat me to it. πŸ™‚

I don’t quite get Rafa’s quote re. the Lions tail or the Mouses head, as metaphors they don’t make sense, unless it’s a Spanish thing.

Sounds a bit like Cantona’s fishes, trawlers and seagulls.

Felt like breaking into a springfields song as I wrote that. (not The Boss, the Dusty Springfield group)

• 46 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:45 PM

WWSBRD, still not convinced, although to be fair he did go to Sunlun when he was well past his best and hasn’t improved any by being there. He’ll find he’s better in the Championship next season, which is about his level. πŸ™‚

• 47 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:49 PM

We might be in the Championship WWSBRD, but seriously, would you want any of them in the PL? I wouldn’t myself and that’s where they are now. I hope we draw them in a cup to see how we fare. I fancy us to beat them – but then I am totally and unashamedly biased! πŸ™‚

• 48 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Aye no idea what Rafa is on about with that mouse lion thing but whatever haha maybe been on the Spanish wine

He’s kept them in the league since signing for them by getting goals, we got relegated mate. Defoe was never going to improve he is what he is and that’s guaranteed goals, championship is his level though howay man hes always been a PL striker

• 49 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:52 PM

I think once Rafa has worked his magic on them then they will become top class players.

Take Colback for example!

• 50 Ron Knee // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:52 PM

I think it’s similar to ‘a big fish in a small pond’.

• 51 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Id want Defoe, Mvila and PVA aye, a goal scorer, CM monster and another actual LB

• 52 Munster Mag // Sep 19, 2016 at 7:09 PM

Bingo…rafa will surely go for a stronger team against this big wolves unit?

Yedlin lascelles Hanley clarke

Shelvey Colback

Ritchie Diame Gouffran

One of the problems Rafa has is that our target men are not fast…if Murphy can show pace he could get a lot of games. As I said earlier in the summer, we mistakeny didn’t target a past powerful targetman, and now we are left with mitro who has no pace, and murphy who has some, but not a lot. A big fast guy would give best of both worlds and allow Rafa more comfort in his beloved 4231 . if we lose to wolves there will be uproar , but I think we will win, 2-0

• 53 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Sorry, can’t agree. Far too sunlunist to change my ways now. Top of the Championship or bottom of the PL – is there that much difference? πŸ™‚ When we get promoted Rafa will be looking for better players than Sunlun rejects I reckon. Call me biased by all means – I won’t argue. πŸ™‚ Colback was one of their best players when we signed him remember? Not saying he’s that bad, but he’s hardly pulled up any trees. Steady away like, I’ll give him that, but then, he has got Rafa behind him.

• 54 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 19, 2016 at 7:15 PM

Munster Mag

I think you’re right, I think they’ll have a Lions tail up their jacksie’s.

For some reason I always thought you were a German Munster.

• 55 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 7:17 PM

Munster, after Saturday’s humiliation I fully expect the lads to bounce back in style. Losing to a poor side is forgivable once, but not twice on the trot. If we play like we know we can – QPR – then I expect a comfortable win. We know how they’ll set up again, so tomorrow is the time to put things right. Might have to take a pair of binoculars to enjoy it like!

• 56 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2016 at 7:19 PM

Well their players were able to stay in the PL and ours weren’t

Ur kidding urself though mate if u don’t think some of their would improve us

• 57 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 7:20 PM

Naw Bill, he’s the one with a bolt through his neck from the TV series. πŸ™‚

• 58 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 19, 2016 at 7:21 PM

Aah a CB in that case, we need some height at the back.

• 59 Jail for Ashley // Sep 19, 2016 at 7:24 PM

My confirmed Rafa bingo line up.

Yedlin ….lascelles …..Hanley …..Clark
    Atsu …..Colback….. Hayden……Lazaar
    Gayle. Murphy

• 60 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 7:25 PM

WWSBRD, ok then, APART FROM defoe, watmore, Kone, Mvila, Pickford etc, what have they got that we might want? πŸ™‚

• 61 Jail for Ashley // Sep 19, 2016 at 7:27 PM

We didn’t mistakenly do anything, it looks as though it was meticulously planned, we’ll get a big fast target man when there’s one out there good enough to not want to play in the Championship. We are the league top scorers.

• 62 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 7:30 PM

I’m hoping to see Murphy start tomorrow. If we’re going to launch long balls into the penalty box, then at 6’3″ he’s got to be a target. He’s capable of scoring goals and his knock downs will be worth getting on the end of. I like Mitro, but he struggled against their big lads at the back and hardly won a header. Murphy is definitely a proper target man and I’d like to see what he can do.

• 63 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 19, 2016 at 7:39 PM

I posted this about a million threads ago so I’m re-posting purely so that I can remember my Rafa bingo team.

Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 18, 2016 at 7:58 PM

I’m happy to post my team for Tuesday now.

Jail Rafa bingo

Yedlin Hanley Lascelles Jesus
    Colback Shelvey
    Richey Gouffron Atsu

I think he’ll make sweeping changes to eradicate any complacency. Probably what he was telling them in the dressing room after the match, love to have had a spy camera in there.

• 64 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2016 at 7:44 PM

Can’t see Ritchie starting he’s played a lot of football Surely a case of rotation required

previous post: Newcastle To Appeal Red Card – Rafa Calls For Fans’ Support