The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle To Appeal Red Card – Rafa Calls For Fans’ Support

1:59 pm, Monday, September 19th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 37 Comments

In his press conference today Rafa has said the club will appeal the red card Vurnon Anita received against Wolves after 87 minutes.

And in his comments following the game the Newcastle manager Vurnon didn’t even commit a foul, never mind a sending off.

rafa-benitez-protests-vurnon-anita-red-card-wolves

Rafa Benitez – will appeal red card

And in his comments today Rafa has pointed out just how important the Newcastle fans are and that he wants full support of the players.

He knows instinctively the fans can be a force when we are both doing well and also when we are not doing well.

There was some booing after the game on Saturday, with the result and the performance being a real shocker.

But Rafa thinks it was simply a blip  and he is very consistent when he says he wants everybody associated with Newcastle.

That’s fans, players. coaches, staff, journalists and even lowly blog-writers (and dogs and cats?) all pulling in the same direction – through thick and thin.

This is what Rafa said about Anita’s red card:

“Yes, we will appeal. It wasn’t with the studs it was a little bit lateral.”

“He didn’t touch the player but in football sometimes you have a point of view and maybe it’s different to the reality.”

Newcastle have already submitted a formal appeal on the red card and will hear from the FA tomorrow morning on what their decision is so we suppose if he is cleared Vurnon could even play tomorrow night.

We expect the FA to turn down the appeal, because (unfortunately) it looked too much like he had his studs up.

Here are some of the other things the manager talked about – starting with his team selection and why he kept Jonjo and Ayoze in the team:

“I gave the two best players from Tuesday – Perez and Shelvey – the chance to play to keep their confidence.”

“We need to be united, like the name of the team. We need the fans to stick with the team.”

“We will make some changes to keep everyone on their toes.” “All the players have to be ready.”

“We have to try to support the players. The fans can be the difference for us when we’re doing well and when we’re not doing well.”

“We’re a team that has to improve. That message has been consistent from me.”

Some good words there from Rafa.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Wolves?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Poll · Press · Press Conference · Vurnon Anita

37 responses so far ↓

• 1 Graeme // Sep 19, 2016 at 2:02 PM

In Rafa we trust!!

• 2 magscar // Sep 19, 2016 at 2:09 PM

WWRSBD

Think it ought to pretty obvious that I am referring to the League we all know cup games are different especially at beginning and not part of the pattern. If you don’t see that no point in discussing that further.

Let’s give it a rest Eh? We aren’t getting anywhere fast 🙂

• 3 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2016 at 2:16 PM

magscar
    But ur trying to prove a trend in a very small sample and Uve made it smaller, if the issue is at home then all home games are relevant surely

Its a game of football at St James not sure why that’s different, inferior opposition but really 90% of the championship is inferior to NUFC

But hey am still happy to leave it haha I just can’t follow ur logic is all

• 4 magscar // Sep 19, 2016 at 2:25 PM

WWRSBD

Not sure if you are being deliberately pedantic but cup teams are different not usually !st eleven so to speak.

If we had been trounced at home by a PL side I still wouldn’t have included game to increase the sample even though it would have suited my argument.
    Sorry I didn’t put Vitesse Arnhem in there either – if I had I might have realised there isn’t any issues 🙂

• 5 Budge123 // Sep 19, 2016 at 2:31 PM

Wearing a little thin for me.
    What comes first the chicken or the egg?
    What comes first the support or the performance?

All well and good saying we are a work in progress and we need fans behind us whilst we improve.
    But we’ve had years of under – performance and excuses.
    Not saying that is the case here but I would much rather have read – I got it wrong. The players are going to respond and give you a performance your support deserves.

Imagine if Steve Mc had said the players need support after a lack luster performance. We would be up in arms.
    Rafa gets respect and deserves it but for me it’s time to deliver a good performance at home where we outplay and attack a team.
    Give us something to support and repeat it regularly and SJP will be rocking before during and after games

• 6 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 2:40 PM

Just curious which 17 numpties have voted the draw? No draws in this cup lads, it’s extra time and penalties in a one off affair. Surprised everyone isn’t aware of this. 🙂
    A bit like Rafa really. Everywhere he’s been he’s done the same thing – rotation. Suddenly people expect him to change his very successful formula for us. Could this be because as a club we’ve been far more successful than him? Mmm, maybe not. This is how he does things and always has. This is what you get with Rafa and surely we were all aware of that when we welcomed his signing. I did. I’m still ecstatic he chose us and his winning system rarely lets him down.
    We go too far over the top when we win, then too far the other way when we lose. If Perez is going to sulk on the pitch if he’s asked to play slightly differently, then he’s not that good that we can’t do without him – far, far from it. The team selected on Saturday was far and away good enough to beat Wolves, but the players failed to perform. Couldn’t trap, couldn’t control the play and the passing was schoolboy standard – not Rafa’s fault. Don’t get me wrong, maybe Rafa might have made changes earlier, but let’s be honest, the subs hardly changed the performance when they came on.
    Having played the game myself, I know how it can be. Sometimes nothing goes right. It is unusual that so many get it wrong at once, but not unheard of.
    It’s how we respond that matters and I for one expect the players to get it right next time out.
    As for the support, I’ve repeatedly said supporting a winning team is just so easy. Time for us to lift the team, not to desert them. Only we can make SJP a fortress; nothing Rafa can do there sadly. We need to step up when the players are struggling, not go quiet.
    Anyway, Saturday has gone, and we can’t alter the result. We lost. It happens to even the best. We’re in the Championship for a reason remember? Not good enough for the PL, so why should we win every game? Promotion is still very much in our own hands. Like Rafa says, let’s all be united and win and lose together. It wasn’t only the team that was off form Saturday, the fans were muted as well. It does make a difference when 50k fans really get behind the team, even when we’re playing crap. All in all, a bad day for NUFC. Let’s not make it a regular occurrence. HAWAY THE LADS!!!

• 7 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2016 at 2:47 PM

magscar
    We don’t have a starting 11 in that game ur removing Sterry is the only name not a recognised starter

Ur point is we have a problem at home but only in the league? It’s not a friendly game those are for fitness not competitive so aye it’s valid to remove that but the cup game was competitive and we player 10/11 players as starting options

If its home tactics then what did we do different in the cup compared to the league? If it’s inferior opposition then fair enough but who have we faced isn’t? I don’t see where ur getting a trend from bud as I said

Last I’ll say on it haha

• 8 hibbit // Sep 19, 2016 at 2:50 PM

bobbybee
    im with you all the way
    but a reeds crane wouldn’t have picked that team team up on saturday it was a lot more than the atmosphere we lacked in all departments including Rafa’s

• 9 Markaccus // Sep 19, 2016 at 2:52 PM

Bobbybee

” The team selected on Saturday was far and away good enough to beat Wolves, but the players failed to perform. Couldn’t trap, couldn’t control the play and the passing was schoolboy standard – not Rafa’s fault. ”

Exactly whatcI have been saying since saturday. It’s almost like some people WANT it to be a failure by Rafa. He can’t possibly know in advance that every single on of the pkayers he picks are going to have an awful game.

• 10 Markaccus // Sep 19, 2016 at 2:56 PM

*every single one of the players.

• 11 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2016 at 2:56 PM

On a different note anyone want to try and convince me Sels is a good keeper? I am really struggling to see a reason to keep him in the team ahead of Darlow

• 12 Ibizatoon // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Yo…How about Sels at RB? 🙂

I haven’t been able to see many games and only a few highlights so far, but it doesn’t sound like he’s adjusting all too well to date.Especially considering I keep hearing that our defense is performing pretty well. In the past it’s been a poor defense with the keeper saving the day.

• 13 Markaccus // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Wws

The think about sels is, he is a “lucky” goal keeper. He drops a clanger now and then, but always seems to get away with it. Some goal keepers make less than half the mistakes over the same number of matches, but always seem to get punished with a goal when they do. I suppose a lucky keeper is almost as good as a technically gifted one 😀

• 14 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:01 PM

Mark, that is my point on the button mate. I couldn’t believe how bad everybody played on Saturday, but I did say pre match that we needed to be aware of the ‘after the Lord Mayor’s show’ reaction. Didn’t see it coming from all eleven players though! 🙂
    The game tomorrow won’t really matter, because I expect so many changes, but how we respond at Villa will be crucial. Hopefully that insipid performance will inspire the lads to perform out of their skin and put us right back on track.

• 15 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:08 PM

Ibiza
    Haha chrsit u mustnt like Yedlin mate. He sounds awful second agaisnt Wolves how hes not saving that man? And why isnt he claiming the first instead of letting Mbemba header it

Markaccus
    Am not sure he has caught a ball yet if he didnt have a very good defense in front of him (how Krul must hate him) then he’d be seen in the ilk of Alnwick…honestly thus far I think he might be worse than Elliott and I reckon he is terrilbe

Darlow was a very good keeper in the Champ for Forrest and last season was very good in the PL…whats he done wrong?

• 16 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:10 PM

WWSBRD, I’m far from convinced by Sels tbh. He very nearly dropped one into the goal at the Leazes on Saturday, having caught the ball in his midriff! Scared me half to death! 🙂 That can’t be good for confidence in the back four either. I do understand why Rafa is persisting with him – David De Gea etc – but just how far do you let it go? To be absolutely frank, I’d rather see Krul back, but that won’t happen this season for sure. Is Darlow that much better? Elliott probably is, but he’s injured. I’m sure if he keeps getting it wrong Rafa will remove him for a period, but he seems to trust him now. Let’s hope he doesn’t cost us before the change is made. As mark says, he’s been lucky thus far.

• 17 Ibizatoon // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:15 PM

Yo…Nothing against Yedlin at all. I could just sense Sels becoming your new Anita…so thought we’d jump to the logical conclusion and make him our RB where you might be happy.

Just thinking of you mate.

Still find it baffling how you think Elliot is “terrible” 🙂

I do agree on Darlow however. He seemed to find his feet in the role, would have been good to see him given a shot this season, especially considering we dropped down a league.

• 18 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:15 PM

Bobby
    Darlow is better than him aye other than a shaky start when he was thrown in because Elliott (as per) crocked himself in a warm up did a good job last season…Sels in the PL we’d be shipping goals left right and centre

The De Gea comparison has been used before on here but tbf De Gea was one of the best in the world when Man Utd bought him and they spent a lot of money to get him…Sels we paid 4 (ish?) mill and we was well thought of but not a world beater…also De Gea played below his standard when he first came from the highlights of Sels Ive seen of him before he came to us he looks the same (not a great way to review him but its all I have)

• 19 lochinvar // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:15 PM

Rafa think that the Red Card appeal is a strong case as there was no direct or intentional contact, yet ED thinks that the FA will just turn it down ?

Surely the FA can see the video play backs ( and see that the collision was caused by their player leaping in the air ) and reverse the decision on what they see. To do so is not to condemn the ref who sees it in real time or as how he thinks he sees it but to ensure that the end decision is correct within the contact of the rules. The FA just need to be strong enough to say, not guilty of a red card offence. Maybe worthy of just a yellow ?

This is what Rafa said about Anita’s red card:
    “Yes, we will appeal. It wasn’t with the studs it was a little bit lateral.”

• 20 Ibizatoon // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:17 PM

Yo…Not that I’m championing the Belgian league, it is worth noting their national team and the fact that sels was the highest rated keeper in the Belgian league last season.

Maybe there aren’t many Belgians in the league?

• 21 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:19 PM

Ibiza
    Haha thats a one hit option and Anita took that (though hes still crap ;))

Elliott is just so mind bogglingly slow in every aspect of his game its just a killer for me

Aye am considering championing the Darlow in goal campaign

• 22 Budge123 // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:22 PM

Couldn’t begin to try and argue that WWS.

Sels couldn’t catch a cold in my opinion.
    Rafa has purchased a donkey there I think.

Someone mentioned he’s a lucky keeper and perhaps so but what happens when the luck runs out!

Sat was the first time I’ve lost all faith in Dummett too.
    At times it looked like teammates weren’t passing to him as they knew he would knack up even when he was the obvious ball.
    I’ve always been a supporter of his but I’ve seen the light now and am sure we can do better with someone else!

• 23 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:22 PM

Ibiza
    Tbf with the Belgians they have a brilliant starting 11 then next to nothing behind that, Id say Sels falls into that section rather than the brilliant section

I am being harsh on him because I did have high hopes but he looks bumbling ffs as Bobby said he nearly put the ball in his own net at the weekend

• 24 Markaccus // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:22 PM

Wws

Darlow gets a bad rep because he was really poor in ONE of his early games for us, but I agree that he did nothing wrong in his run of games at the end of last season. I suppose a manager is going to reserve the right to play his own signing, but I can’t see Rafa giving sels too many more chances to get his act together. I get laughed at, but I seriously think Darlow could be a great keeper for us, if he gets a fair crack of the whip.

• 25 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:24 PM

Can’t recall, but had Anita already got a yellow card on Saturday? If so, the FA may argue that it was worthy of a yellow and consequently uphold the decision, with only a one game ban. Problem is, the FA can’t be seen to ‘favour’ the biggest club in the league without criticism being poured on them. Personally I think the red was too harsh, but a yellow would be difficult to argue with. Can somebody tell me if he was already on a yellow? I lost count on Saturday if I’m honest. 🙂

• 26 WWSBRD // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:26 PM

Markaccus
    I fully agree on Darlow he could be a great keeper if given the chance, other than that first game (where tbf he was poor but not embarrassing) he was fine for a younger lad coming in behind a team that struggled to defend

• 27 Markaccus // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:27 PM

Budge

Yeah, i said he was lucky. But like you say, it will run out. Hopefully he will either have sorted his sh1t out by then, or he will have been dropped. Hopefully darlow gets a game tomorow night.

• 28 Markaccus // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:33 PM

Dummet is, and should always be, the player who comes on last 15 mins to shut the door. He is purely a defensive player. He should only be on the pitch when we no longer need to attack. 2-0 up at least with no more than 15 mins to go. This is all providing we have a competent starting LB who provides good defensive play and good support in attack. Hopefully we get a look at Lazaar tomorow.

• 29 Mister Tuff // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:40 PM

According to the club website Anita has only got one red.

• 30 Mister Tuff // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:42 PM

That link did not work – but it’s under – Teams then Season Stats and select from drop down box.

• 31 martoon // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:46 PM

Booby @16 – I sit right behind the goal at the Leazes end and boy was Sels lucky. A simple ball bounced in front of him to catch at chest height went straight through his hands, bounced off his chest and trickled past the outside of the post. Whether you are adapting or not you should be able to catch a simple ball like that – I hope Darlow at least gets a chance in in the cup tomorrow.

• 32 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:51 PM

i suppose I’d better hold up my hands for the Wolves loss, it was probably karma for the way I was laughing at those who who voted for a loss, sorry chaps.

Said i would re-post this:-

I have just been watching some of the closing ceremony of the Para Olympics and people have been tweeting their best moments.

My best memory was watching a women with no arms swimming in the two hundred metres individual medley. She came last but overcoming her handicap they way she did was awe inspiring.

I’ll probably re-post this when there are more people on, its worth repeating in my opinion.

And an interesting little known fact about Donald Trump, allegedly Eric Cartman was modeled on him as a child. Makes sense to me!!

• 33 ilovetoon8788 // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:51 PM

I have no faith in Sels and I think it’s affecting our defence. He needs to be benched for a few games and darlow given a chance.

Also, we have too many inconsistent players. Perez shelvey diame mitrovic are all good players but championship level players because they are very very inconsistent. The only way they can improve in their career is if they become more consistent.

If not, they are now really playing at their level. The only premier league player we have is Ritchie. This squad will be trounced right left centre in the PL.

• 34 Yo-yo // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:56 PM

Bobbybee @6

Spot on, totally with you there

• 35 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 19, 2016 at 3:59 PM

I wouldn’t have said that Shelvey has been inconsistent, not so far this season at any rate. I didn’t see the Wolves game but from what I’ve read he was a tryer throughout.

• 36 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 19, 2016 at 4:03 PM

By the way I’m on the Darlow side of the fence, just think he’s better than Sels.

• 37 Bobbybee // Sep 19, 2016 at 4:16 PM

Aye, cheers Tuff; so Anita wasn’t on a yellow, in which case the red should be overturned. Just thought that might make an easy cop out for the red! 🙂 . That said, as stated earlier, the FA might be wary of appearing to be lenient towards what is undoubtedly the biggest club in the league. Still, despite his great start this season, Anita isn’t irreplaceable and it will give the likes of Lazaar a chance to shine. If he can match his stats at QPR we can’t go wrong! 🙂

previous post: Rafa – We’ll Try To Fix Problems – We Must Support The Players