The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Full Back Pleased With Performance – Matt Ritchie A Big Help

8:30 am, Wednesday, September 21st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 7 Comments

DeAndre Yedlin made his first start for Newcastle last night and his third appearance overall since joining us from Tottenham last month for £5M and he really seems to have enjoyed the game.

Yedlin was paired with Matt Ritchie so we had two hard-working players on the right hand side of the field last night and they played well together.

deandre-yedlin-_l_in_action_with_wolves_joe_mas_321355

DeAndre Yedlin challenges Wolves’ Joe Mason last night

This is what the 23 year-old 40 times capped US International said after the game:

“It was great, it was really good to play with the team and in front of the fans.” “It was good to get the win and move on in the cup.”

“It’s outstanding support.” “It was a great atmosphere and they kept pushing us on.” “It was good to get 90 minutes in and get my legs moving.”

“I think we dominated the game, we could have controlled parts a bit better but we’re happy with the result.”

“It was good to know I can play 90 minutes and get it into my head.” “I can get fitter but to get those 90 minutes in was good for my confidence.”

“Playing with Matt Ritchie on my side was a big help.” “He controls the game so well.” “He’s a guy that when you’re in trouble you can get the ball to him and he’ll find a way out.”

“He’s a great guy to play with and he scored a quality goal.”

With Vurnon Anita suspended for another two games and Jesus Gamez struggling with a calf injury it’s likely that DeAndre will keep his place for the tough game at Villa Park on Saturday.

That’s a game we have to win.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Wolves?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: DeAndre Yedlin · EFL · EFL Cup · Matt Ritchie · Newcastle News · Poll

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 GeordieGadie // Sep 21, 2016 at 8:38 AM

we’re alright on the full back fronts both sides but I do think we need to give Lazaar a lot more game time to cement his confidence/match fitness in order to reap any rewards from him otherwise he will never develop into a regular, rotation or not, we need to elevate him to first team degree before expecting any rewards.

• 2 sing in the corner // Sep 21, 2016 at 8:39 AM

Hibbitt
    Good words, well done mate.

It was nice to see Murphy grafting and looking like he really wants it. Alright he isn’t the most technically gifted but he puts himself about, and knocks the defenders around-doesn’tn give up.That goes a long way for the fans and he looks a shrewd buy to make sure Mitro has competition in the championship.

• 3 Slank // Sep 21, 2016 at 8:41 AM

I’ve only seen the sky highlights but it looked as if Lazaar was easily brushed aside.

For anyone there tell me was this a one-off or as someone reported earlier on this blog that he seemed to chicken out of a few challenges.

• 4 Mag52 // Sep 21, 2016 at 8:42 AM

Catchy,

Yes small players can undoubtedly prosper in top class football, but small players can also have upper body strength, Maradonna for example, to brush off tackles.
    For me, Perez lacks this at the moment.

• 5 sing in the corner // Sep 21, 2016 at 8:47 AM

Slank
    Yeah he had a non descript game really. He was pretty close to where I was 1st half and he’s one who needs time to adjust to the pace of our game.. And there were one or two challenges there to be made where he pulled out clearly not fancying it. Also meandering back when in advanced positions and we had lost possession. He will have this sorted out on the training ground over the coming weeks I would think..

• 6 Slank // Sep 21, 2016 at 8:48 AM

Mag52

Yes I think it’s a combination of upper body strength and low centre of gravity.

My favourite forward was Gerd Muller who didn’t have pace and wasn’t tricky but he had that combination mentioned above which made him lethal in the six yard box from which he rarely straid.

• 7 Slank // Sep 21, 2016 at 8:53 AM

Sing

Many thanks.

Looks like Dummitt is safe for now although I see that Hydrangea played his first game this week after injury in (what was formerly called) the reserves.

Looks like Lazaar will have to shape up pretty quickly as there appears no shortage of takers at left back.

previous post: Player Pleased With Debut – It’s Been Great Since I Arrived