The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Talks About One Of His Favorite Players

8:57 am, Wednesday, September 21st, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 88 Comments

The Newcastle crowd was treated to a terrific Yoan Gouffran goal after 32 minutes that put Newcastle two goals up last night after Matt Ritchie had scored an excellent goal just three minutes earlier.

And then Matt Ritchie became the provider as he sent over a right wing cross and the Frenchman rifled the ball home in simply stunning style.

What a buy this Matt Ritchie is turning out to be!

And Yoan even gave a quick Alan Shearer type acknowledgement with his right arm raised after he scored – Yoan has obviously been looking at the new statue of Alan at St. James’ Park.

🙂

yoan-gouffran-rafa

Great shot of Yoan Gouffran and Rafa Benitez last night

That was Yoan’s second goal of the season and he’s playing his best football ever at Newcastle under the watchful and very experienced eye of Rafa Benitez.

After the game Rafa talked about the player he is getting the very best out of since the 56 year-old Spaniard arrived on Tyneside last March.

This is what Rafa said about one of his favorite players:

“I am always happy when any player plays well, but in this case, Gouff has been working very hard from the beginning.”

“He didn’t know what would happen in the future, but he was still working hard so I am happy for him. He has been scoring great goals, especially from volleys, so that is good.”

“It is important for us, and for the players, to feel that there is a lot of competition.”

“That is good for everyone. The players know they have to go on the pitch and do their best, and it doesn’t matter about the competition or the game.”

“That is a key factor if we want to be strong and successfully manage the number of games we are going to play this year.”

“I was pleased with Gouff in pre-season.” “I was expecting some offers for him, but we had one and that was not good enough.”

“After that, I was expecting that another one would come, but we were watching him close and he was training really well.”

“I was talking with my staff and saying that it could be better to keep him.”

“I am really pleased for him, because when you have someone working so hard, he deserves some luck sometimes.”

Yoan seems to be one of Rafa’s favorite players because he works his socks off in training and also in the games.

He has said this season he’s really a striker and not a winger – and to prove that he’s scored two stunning goals from crosses when he hit the ball on the volley and it just flew into the back of the net.

Yoan is becoming a very important player for Newcastle United this season – that’s a fact.

Howay the Lads!!

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Wolves?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · EFL · EFL Cup · League Cup · Matt Ritchie · Newcastle News · Yoan Gouffran

88 responses so far ↓

• 1 outside the box // Sep 21, 2016 at 9:18 AM

my views from last night….
    darlow …reminds me a lot of given… good shot stopper but distribution slow and woeful expect sells to be in sat…
    yedlin looks like he will be crowd fav ..electric pace …
    lazzar needs more time…murphy held line well and would be plan b …ie long ball game but expect gayle on sat …diame shelvey ritchie gouffran and colback solid …hanley and clarke played well …subs only on to protect players for weekend …
    my view taking shape with yed and ritchie on right and goofy and dummet on left …mbemba and lasceles at back and shelvey hayden diame colback for cmid..
    only strikers to sort out..

• 2 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 21, 2016 at 9:20 AM

just got in from game

much better performance all-round – quicker tempo passed moved – yet wolves created better chances before we scored.
    First time since Carroll I have seen a centre forward lead the line – had bite in midfield with Colback and Goufran who score s superb goal.
    Did not understand substitutions bringing on Perez and Atsu – became lightweight and lost the battles in midfield.

Here goes my merit marks

Darlow – 9 – Outstanding – now thats how I like to see a goal keeper play
    cam caught every ball inside and outside the box he had to COMMANDED the SIX yard box
    Lazar – 5 – started brightly good on the ball but does not like to tackle – backed out of a couple of tackles
    Hanley – 7 – Commanding in the air – distribution not bad today – overall a decent display
    Clark – 7 – Ditto another commanding display – kept it simple wanted the ball
    Yedlin -7 – did what he had to do quick as shit going forward but needed one touch to many on the ball
    Colback – 9 – My MOM – shaded it from Goufran – covered every blade of grass – tackle broke up play and his distribution link up play was good tonight
    Shelley – 7.5 – had a decent game without being spectacular – linked up play well
    Goufran -8 – would of been my MOM if he had not faded second half- great goal and pass to start the move for the first goal
    Ritchie -7.5 – another who had a good game – scored a good goal- carried the ball out of defence well but tends to try the killer pass to often
    Diame – 8 – Back to his best ran closed down linked up play from midfield to attack – closed their defence down
    Murphy – 8 – Hope Mtrovic was watching him – first time in a long time a centre half that led the line – went for every ball in the air, tackled, harassed, great flicks and lay off’s held the ball up and unlucky not to score when his shot was deflected onto the bar.

Subs
    Perez -2 – wast elf space knocked off the ball far to easy
    Atsu – 4 – ran around made a nuisance of himself but again to lightweight

All in all a lot better
    But in my eyes got to start with Darlow, Colback, Goufran and Murphy on Saturday

All four give much more bite weight tenacity to the team

ADD on this morning

Little bit worrying though with Hanley and Clark as our two centre halfs – easily got split early on last night with through balls – wolves could of taken the lead if not for Darlow who was superb

• 3 Laurent Robert 32 // Sep 21, 2016 at 9:20 AM

Super pleased for Gouffran. Glad we’ve gone through.

• 4 Jib // Sep 21, 2016 at 9:22 AM

The draw for the 4th round (last 16) of the EFL cup is live on Wednesday night after the N’hampton Town v ManU cuptie (about 10pm GMT) on SS1 and SSNews.

• 5 toontaff2 // Sep 21, 2016 at 9:27 AM

9 in RAFA’s bingo, missed Diame and Ritchie – put Gayle and Atsu in – thought Ritchie was MoM and Diame excellent, so what do I know?
    Impressed by most, especially Yedlin, but not sure about Hazaar! Maybe nerves?
    If Anita is suspended, surely Yedlin must start?

It was like watching musical chairs in the Gallowgate for the first 20 minutes, with people in the wrong seats, people arriving late – was on the end of a row, so up and down like a whore’s drawers! Some of the late arrivals were off out again 10 minutes before half-time, came back 10 minutes late for the second half and left before the end! Doubt they saw half the match.

• 6 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 21, 2016 at 9:31 AM

tootaff
    It was like that all over the ground I ended up paying at the gates sat in the leazes end. Bloody awful full of kids who were more interested in watching and goading the Wolves fans throwing bottle tops and paper aeroplanes – lost my rag with a couple.
    Tell who if the Wolves fans ran at them they would of ran a mile!!!!

• 7 catchy in norway // Sep 21, 2016 at 9:32 AM

mag, come on , mara dona was built like a bull with a very low centre of gravity and was just an amazing footballer, he also played in a time where footballers where not as fit and strong as they are right now,

perez has ability but does not know how to use his body to really shield the ball, 9 out of 10 times he falls over

• 8 outside the box // Sep 21, 2016 at 9:33 AM

charlie in gallowgate…accept your views on darlow and whilst not a big fan of sells his distribution is better …depends how you view goalkeepers job
    i used to go early and watch warm up before games …given s kicking was spot on during warm up but once game started was all over place …in my view darlow is given mark 2…..would ..take a dave hollins mark 2

• 9 Rotonda heights // Sep 21, 2016 at 9:39 AM

NUFCPaul

I’m not sure if Ayestaran and Rafa had a bit of a fall out after all their success at Valencia, when they went separate ways. Would be great if they could make up again though.

I freely admit never previously being a Colback fan, but Rafa even has him playing 1-2’s now! What a great manager and fair play to Colback to respond. Ditto the Goof.

• 10 Rotonda heights // Sep 21, 2016 at 9:44 AM

Lilo

Would value your opinion on the best formation for an under 13’s team who are new to 11 a side and big pitches and goals this season.

So far we’ve tried 343 with mixed results. I am tempted to either go 442 with a diamond shape midfield or 433.

• 11 toontaff2 // Sep 21, 2016 at 9:45 AM

Charlie , glad it was not just me doing a Victor Meldrew! It is annoying mind trying to watch the match with constant interruption.
    Colback was good, Darlow was solid and Murphy led the line really well.
    Who voted for Hazaar? 15 so far – WUM’s!

• 12 toontaff2 // Sep 21, 2016 at 9:50 AM

RAFA’s bingo could be even tougher this week, after last night! A few of Saturday’s poor performers are looking over their shoulder.

• 13 Jib // Sep 21, 2016 at 9:55 AM

Just one day left for the middle east window.
    It looks very much like Cheick Ismael Tiote is with us until January at the earliest

• 14 Jib // Sep 21, 2016 at 10:09 AM

Sels
    Yedlin Lascelles Clark Dummett
    Colback Hayden
    Ritchie Shelvey Diamé
    Mitrovic

Subs Darlow MBemba Hanley Gouffran Murphy Gayle Tioté

Every match it’s getting harder to pick a team !

• 15 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 21, 2016 at 10:13 AM

So Murphy is the new “lead the line” poster boy it seems, and Mitrovic continues to be cast as the pantomime villain. NUFC.com amongst others wheeling that barrow. Find a proper club Aleksandar, you are wasting your time here.

• 16 jimmysmith // Sep 21, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Mitrovic will make the position his own by Christmas. Murphy has been brought in to encourage it, despite what Supermac has to say about it.

• 17 Mag52 // Sep 21, 2016 at 10:25 AM

Catchy.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying Perez is another Maradonna in the making.
    He needs to get the strength to avoid being brushed off the ball so often, and to learn how better to shield the ball.
    He’s a young guy, by no means the finished article,still learning, and under a good coach will improve.

• 18 Pardews Priceless Bulls#*t // Sep 21, 2016 at 10:29 AM

I remember saying this summer that I’d keep Gouffran this year as he is a lively player etc. I was roundly criticised.
    Admittedly I did say I’d get rid next year though haha

• 19 WWSBRD // Sep 21, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Tbf Murphy is fast approaching the number of good games Mitros had in a toon shirt

• 20 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 21, 2016 at 10:41 AM

Yes, Mitrovic had a shocker at QPR, deserved to be dropped for the next two games. Am I allowed to say Fat Spanish Waiter on here? We used to say it, didn’t we?

• 21 WWSBRD // Sep 21, 2016 at 10:45 AM

ToF
    Who said he a poor game against QPR?

• 22 Slank // Sep 21, 2016 at 10:49 AM

Jib @ 14

How can you select a team without The Gouff ?

• 23 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 21, 2016 at 10:51 AM

WWSBRD – I know what you think, you know what I think, let’s not get into petty point scoring. I may have started it. I should shut up.

• 24 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 21, 2016 at 10:54 AM

Rafa bingo for Aston villa

Sels
    Yedlin_Lascelles_Clark_Dummett
    Colback_Shelvey
    Ritchie_Diame_Gouffran
    Gayle

• 25 Rotonda heights // Sep 21, 2016 at 10:55 AM

Over rated

Rafa rotates, he doesn’t drop people, there is a difference. I don’t get the need to be abusive and name calling about possibly the best manager we’ve ever had.

Murphy waited his turn, as have others. Mitro at times can be a liability, but I think Rafa is handling him and others extremely well. Not many thought Rafa would get stellar performances out of Goofy and Colback, but he has.

Mitro has to mature and may be Rafa feels he has a way to go yet on that score. Gayle was scoring for fun but got rested, as have other deserving souls. Squad really means squad with Rafa.

Team at 14 is sound, but I never thought I’d say it, how can we leave out the Goof. Stats can’t be denied with him in the team, he is one ”constant” that may be we do have to keep, day in, day out.

• 26 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2016 at 10:56 AM

We were in the gallogate upper section, row B. A family arrived ten minutes before half time, then got up again five minutes later to go to the bar I presume. The Leazes was filling up right through the first half. Ended up pretty full, but so many must have missed a big chunk of the game. My advice for anybody paying on the night would be to get there really early. Don’t think they were expecting so many to pay on the night tbh.
    That said, thoroughly enjoyed the game and a massive improvement on Saturday. Murphy looks more of a handful than Mitro and won more headers, but hard to judge on just one performance. Darlow was excellent imo. Commanded his area and caught all but one ball, which needed punching. The much maligned Ginger Pirlo was very good. He does all the dirty work in midfield and I think that’s why he doesn’t get the credit he often deserves. Sprayed some nice passes about as well. The Gouff is a revelation and took his goal brilliantly and Ritchie was, well, Ritchie. Best player on the pitch. He was never going to miss his chance. All in all a vastly improved display and more like what we’ve come to expect. Hopefully this is the start of another run of unbeaten games, but the next two will be a real test. Pass those and we’re flying.

• 27 WWSBRD // Sep 21, 2016 at 10:56 AM

ToF
    Haha didn’t even realise u we’re talking about me I was gonna stick up for Mitro but ok

• 28 Rotonda heights // Sep 21, 2016 at 10:57 AM

ww

i think he was being sarcastic.

• 29 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2016 at 10:58 AM

Oh yes, and Diame looked very good, much improved on recent games. Clearly getting up to pace and his talent is starting to show through.

• 30 SPRINGY // Sep 21, 2016 at 10:59 AM

perez should’nt be played at all if he’s played wide,he lacks pace for that position,he did good against qpr in the that number 10 role behind mitro,but has’nt done it enough for the team…he’s young and has ability but he needs to strengthen up and sharpen up,try not to hold on to the ball any longer then he needs to,mitro is looking like his sharpness isn’t there yet,hopefully it comes but right now he looks like if he has time to think about a finish he’ll miss it…not a good sign,i hope thats just lack of games,he does look fitter,less bulky and a bit more mobile though.

• 31 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:01 AM

I just asked. I didn’t use the term abusively. Although I would like to have it at my disposal for future use if I can get clearance.

• 32 killit the bulb // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Overated frenchwan sorry frenchman. Suggest; pal you air your question in a bar in the vicinity of St Jame’s Park preferably on a matchday. Mackem

• 33 SPRINGY // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:01 AM

morning all…by the way!lol

• 34 WWSBRD // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Rotonda
    I got the sarcasm but thought it was because someone had actually said Mitro had a bad game against QPR not at a perceived opinion of mine

• 35 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:04 AM

Tof, Mitro has found a proper club mate, he’s here. For a fan, you sure seem down on us! 🙂 No idea what your problem is with Rafa either. Could you maybe suggest a better manager we could have got? Damned if I could. Nor would I want to.

• 36 Rotonda heights // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:08 AM

Over rated

Not sure we can grant you clearance on that. I’ll check with the dodgy goals panel if there is a way you can call someone a ”fat Spanish waiter” and it not be considered abusive….lol !

It is after all a derogatory term used by fans playing against Rafa teams. Maybe you could get away with ” un camarero Español grasa”

• 37 Slank // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:11 AM

For Villa:

Sels
    Yedlin – MBemba – Lascelles – Dummett
    Hayden Colback
    Ritchie Shelvey Gouffran
    Mitrovich / Murphy / Gayle

I think Darlow is a better keeper but Rafa bought Sels so he will get the nod.

I’m not sure Clark returning to his former club is the best preparation so have returned Mbemba.

Not sure who should lead the line. There doesn’t appear to be a standout player yet.

• 38 Jib // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:11 AM

Slank
    The best attacking mf ‘s are Ritchie , Gouffran Shelvey , Diamé -Atsu/Aarons /Perez ?
    I feel Shelvey is wasted dropped back into the defensive midfield pairing in a 4-2-3-1
    That should be any 2 from Colback , Hayden ,Tiote , Anita.

When Diamé was off form it was easy – but he put in a shift last night so the choice is between Goofy and Baldy (Ritchie is a no brainer)
    I plumped for Shelvey but wouldn’t cry if Rafa picked Yoan.

• 39 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:15 AM

killit, you have a short memory son. benitez may be flavour of the month now but his bindipper legacy lives on with some of us, son.

• 40 WWSBRD // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:19 AM

ToF
    I take it u dont rate Rafa then?

• 41 Slank // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:22 AM

Jib @ 38

Given what Rafa has said about The Goof I would be gobsmacked if he didn’t play him.

It’s interesting that you mention Tiote. I recently saw pictures of him training with the squad so presumably he is available for selection. He could certainly do a good job in this league and add spice and competition for the others.

• 42 Jib // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:24 AM

ToF
    His bindipper legacy ?
    Ha ha ha worrapr!ck you are !

• 43 JamesToon // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:26 AM

Shelvey worked his socks off last night. Team lost the ball and he literally busted a gut to get back in position.

• 44 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:29 AM

WWSBRD. I actually like Benitez. I just think he should be kept on notice until he actually achieves something at this club. I think he’s led a bit of a charmed life and is getting an armchair ride here. Fat Spanish Waiter.

• 45 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:29 AM

Tof, time to get over that mate, he’s OUR manager now. Every good manager has history and at least his is with successful clubs. Not like he’s an ex mackem after all. 99% of us want him to stay for as long as possible, so unless you can lose your obsession with Liverpool (?), it could be a miserable time for you. 🙂

• 46 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Jib, just to be acknowledged by you makes all my paltry contributions here seem worthwhile.

• 47 Jib // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:33 AM

Bobby
    It’s approaching 9pm in Jimcumbilly, NSW and all right thinking Aussies are off their faces by now – Frenchie is clearly pissed.
    😎

• 48 Mister Tuff // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:34 AM

MORE BOLLIX.
    Jib Jibberish (blog pest and supplier of duff info -constantly).

What is this Middle Eastern Transfer Window you are talking about earlier – no such thing.
    And it having one day left – more bollix.
    for example Oman closes in 3 days and the UAE closes in 29 days.

Middle Eastern countries are within the Asian Federation (AFC) and by and large all have different windows.
    You should not be putting out duff info – you could be giving a generation of youngsters a poor football foundation.
    Please stop it – change your game before it is too late – your choices ladies rugby, ladies wrestling or netball.
    Go now please.

• 49 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:35 AM

Jib, that may be the first accurate thing I’ve ever heard you say.

• 50 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:36 AM

Wow, you really don’t like him do you? A charmed life? You have seen his achievements haven’t you? All luck then? 🙂 Even if he bombed with us – and there’s zero evidence of that happening – he still deserves respect for what he’s done in football. A better suggestion might be wait and see IF he fails for us before dissing him, because frankly, right now, you’re starting to sound a bit silly.

• 51 WWSBRD // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:37 AM

ToF
    Insulting him isnt really the best way to show u like him

• 52 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:43 AM

Jib, maybe it’s the Mandella Effect, where people remember different time lines? Maybe in Australia Rafa’s really Pardew and failed throughout his career, whereas most of us remember Rafa as being one of the best modern day managers to grace the game? 🙂 Come on Tof, give the guy the credit he deserves even if you don’t like him personally.

• 53 lochinvar // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:45 AM

Aston Villa are looking into allegations midfielder Jack Grealish, 21, was involved in an unruly party in a Birmingham hotel after Saturday’s goalless draw with Ipswich. (Daily Mail)

So presumably if true he will be dropped for the weekend game due to disciplinary action….probably

It all helps …

• 54 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:45 AM

WWSBRD – Yes. I understand. I’ve never been good with people, really.

• 55 Rotonda heights // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:46 AM

TOF

You apply expressions like ”charmed life” to a fraud like Pardew, not to one of the most successful managers ever.

I don’t recall particularly having any beef with Liverpool during the Rafa years, as to still hold a grudge years later.

• 56 Ron Knee // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:46 AM

From The Mag:-

“Yoan Gouffran undroppable? With Gouffran: played 7 won 7, goals – for 19 against 1. No Gouffran: played 3 lost 3, goals – for 1 against 5.”

• 57 The overrated Frenchman // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:49 AM

OK. Let’s move on. I’ve said more than enough here and you can all consider me duly chastised. Until next time…

• 58 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:50 AM

Loch, not sure why people expect young lads, with lots of money, to behave like angels. It’s unrealistic. So the kid partied AFTER the game – big deal. At least it wasn’t the night before a game. Dunno about Grealish, but when I was his age I could party all night and then still turn in a decent performance, so I imagine with his levels of fitness he could do the same. Shame the press haven’t got better things to occupy themselves with mate.

• 59 Jib // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:51 AM

Mr Tuff
    I said the middle east for quickness rather than saying Saudi Arabia and Qatar the two areas he has been linked with – which actually close their windows tomorrow.

Good points scoring

Well done

Get that chest puffed out now and stand on the dung pile and crow.

Shoulders back now lovely boy

Come on now – cock a doodle doo !!!

Ha ha ha

• 60 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Ron, difficult to argue with those stats mate! 🙂

• 61 Ian Toon // Sep 21, 2016 at 11:59 AM

TOF- I see you’re concerned about a lack of attention hence your Benitez comment. You could have identified a number of issues but most of them were forgotten after that night in Istanbul.

Benitez is held in high esteem by Liverpool fans but there is one aspect of his time there that they do mention. It concerns big transfer fees and not even threatening to win the league. Everything is relative.

Carragher highlighted this in his excellent autobiography. Benitez’s transfer largesse was also the subject of a case study in Soccernomics.
    Benitez replaced Houllier in 2004 and in October 2009 after Benitez’s sixth and last of him masterminding Liverpool’s transfers, the Sunday Times looked at PL manager spend. Benitez had spent £122 m more than he had received- net spend. Fergie net spend over the same period was £27m, during which time ManU had won three titles to L’pool’s none. Wenger had received £27m more. From 2005- 2009 he outspent Chelsea. Liverpool fans though remember Rafa saying” It is always difficult to compete in the PL with clubs who have more money”
    In his defence L’pool fans frequently mention the mess Houllier left behind on the playing side and indeed the victory in the Champions League.

• 62 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:06 PM

So, who do we think will be the first manager to lose his job this season? Moyes must be right up there obviously, but should Accrington Stanley pull off a shock result tonight, maybe Bilic might threaten him. Unrest brewing in Wonderland already. 🙂 Mark Hughes anybody? Robert Di Mateo even? How nice to be not even in the running for once lmao!

• 63 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:08 PM

…unless the frenchman buys the club! 🙂

• 64 Shadow_Shearer // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:11 PM

Despite goufran playing exceptional just now, I can’t stop but think it’s cause he’s in the last year of his contract, so he’s either looking for a new deal, or he’s doing a sissoko stunt & looking for interested parties.
    He was happy enough to sit his ass about for last 2 years & pick up a wage. His immediate future was secure.
    It annoys me when this stuff happens, he had the talent last season aswel when we were relegated but clearly didn’t bother to show it in training or the matches.

• 65 SPRINGY // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:12 PM

Bobby
    Had it been a few weeks back i would’ve said pardew but now….hughes looks favourite for the bullet at the minute…..cant see the mackems getting rid this early and i expect pardews form will dip again before xmas so he’ll probs be back in the firing line….i expect him gone by xmas to be honest.

• 66 Jib // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Bobby
    Sparky is leading the betting

• 67 SPRINGY // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:18 PM

Shadow
    It could be the case goofy was so shunned from the previous manager that he lost all confidence and thought he was surplus to requirements….when he came i couldn’t knock his effort and work rate but never looked like scoring loads but after a while his work rate dropped coz he was playing less and less.

• 68 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:19 PM

Not looking good for Hughes then Springy and Jib. He has had a few decent seasons and an injury problem at the moment isn’t helping him, but I kinda think he might get a pass for a while yet. West Ham can’t afford to mess up having had everything go their way, so Bilic might be a bit nervy imo. Definitely unrest in paradise from what I gather. You’re probably right about Moyes though. Not close enough to the end of the season for them yet. 😉

• 69 SPRINGY // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:21 PM

Bobby
    The mackems usually change there manager about Christmas so then might be a good bet.

• 70 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:22 PM

I can’t see why people are so keen to give Ritchie a rest.

He’s a professional athlete who probably trains a lot harder on a daily basis than the effort he has to put into a game or two each week. Also a typical game is not (unless you are Shelvey 🙂 ) running about in perpetual motion, most players will actually take a breather on the pitch when the action moves away from them. Anyone who has participated in sport knows the value of doing this if only for a few seconds, I am assuming that most of the current bloggers fit into this category.

Anyway that is a long winded effort to say I don’t think he needs to be rested for games unless he has a injury of some sort. Same applies to most if not all of our players.

• 71 Jail for Ashley // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:24 PM

I’ve always said that like, Mike Willimson that Gouffran was a hard working honest pro. He is playing better for a number of reasons imo, we have a much better manager who has shown faith in him, we have a team that now gives a fcuk and that attitude has a positive effect on everyone, how could anyone call out anyone else before when the captain has just deliberately had himself sent off and avoids cup games knowing that the remit is to lose. There is also the fact that he has maybe found a level in the Championship that he can excel in. I also thought Obertoroon would have done well at this level as well.

• 72 Jail for Ashley // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:27 PM

I never think it’s a good idea to get relegated to clear the decks etc but the mackems have to stick with Moyes even if it means going down, sacking him in the hope of just staying up just creates another cycle for them and one I don’t think they’ll survive anyway this time.

• 73 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Bill, he certainly didn’t look jaded last night mate and like you say, he shouldn’t be needing a rest eight games in. He’s our only real wide threat at the moment and I’m not sure we have a replacement to fill in. Like to see young Callum Roberts get a look in like, he’s doing well for the second string again this season. Good tricky winger who can deliver a good cross.

• 74 SPRINGY // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Jail
    Agree about obertan he could of been useful at this level,but i think his injury record worked against him as well as his form….goofys injury record isn’t as bad,i believe so that would of helped… he probs wont get a contract if we get promoted,but ya never know if he chips in with 10-15 goals at the end of the season they may keep him on.

• 75 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Jail, they are the current Wigan and they eventually went down. The mackems surely can’t survive another season surely?

• 76 sing in the corner // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:33 PM

Lads
    Aye the Hughes one is strange. Their fall down the table has looked dramatic. Something gone on behind the scenes there I reckon. Not often you see Stoke or indeed Hughes teams shipping goal after goal from set pieces like they have been recently!
    I see Joey Barton stuck the boot into him in the news as well, calling him the worst manager in the Prem. 🙂 he’s a card,Joey 🙂

• 77 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:34 PM

Oh well, knew it couldn’t last. ‘Bob’s Taxi’s’ required again. Later chaps.

• 78 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:35 PM

If I recall it correctly there were quite a few bloggers asking the question why several of our players were not getting pitch time under the McCardew regimes including Gouffron and Marveaux. they had shown that they had the ability but somehow their faces didn’t fit. When they were given a chance, invariably they were asked to play in positions that didn’t work for them resulting in them being put back into limbo.

Just goes to show what a manager with a footballing brain can do. Harking back to my previous comment I reckon Marveaux could have been a good back up for Ritchie should he get injured.

• 79 Mister Tuff // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:35 PM

Jib Jibberish – nothing at all to do with points scoring – just a matter of being a purveyor of accurate information.

Seeing you’ve just had your flabby buttocks caned again you need to be on your best behaviour as I see you blog boss has arrived on the blog.

• 80 SPRINGY // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:36 PM

Bobby
    The mackems may struggle to stay up as there money seems to have dried up….and defoe must be due an injury…dont think he’s been crocked for a canny while….he may actually jump ship if they are in deep shite come the tranfer window like.

• 81 Jail for Ashley // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:36 PM

SPRINGY,
    It’s looking like Gouf is going to be an outstanding player this year and will become an unlikely fans favourite but we’d be letting sentiment cloud our judgement to keep him on again if (when) we get promoted, there will have to be at least four quality signings come in next summer and we might as well replace those that are coming to an end of their deals, hopefully he will have earned himself a couple of years in a nicely paid slot in the South of France somewhere or an even better paid job to a Championship team chasing promotion.

• 82 SPRINGY // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:39 PM

Essex
    Marveaux was made of glass….seemed to do ok some of few games he played but totally unreliable due to his injury record.

• 83 Jail for Ashley // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:43 PM

Bobby,
    Aye, they have a manager in Moyes who never pulled up trees at Everton but steadied their ship, the mackems have to let him try and do the same even if it means relegation. Personally I hope they sack him at Christmas and McLaren comes blustering in full of promises and a point to prove so we can see a few more pictures o him with hi head in his hands from a different angle 😀

• 84 SPRINGY // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Jail
    Was thinkin more extension to his contract as a squad player,if we dont splash the cash….didnt explain myself properly,sorry mate.
    If we were promoted and the mackems go down would you fancy kone from them? …..i know its a long way off and all ifs and buts,just wondered?

• 85 Jail for Ashley // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Marveaux got 15M pounds for five years of doing nowt, biggest insurance scam outside of Liverpool or Nigeria.

• 86 martoon // Sep 21, 2016 at 12:55 PM

Earlier people were talking about people arriving late and leaving their seats early – I find people do this at league matches as well. I sit in the Sports Bar in the Leazes end and people do this all the time – it is especially annoying because you can pre-order your drinks for half time so there is no need to leave early to get to the bar. I know there are times when you have to (toilet etc.) but at least wait for a break in play not make everybody stand-up and block people’s view in the middle of the action – rant over!

• 87 lesh // Sep 21, 2016 at 1:23 PM

Mmmm, eenteresting….

Travelled to Turkey on Tuesday,

The lads beat Wolves that night,

Is there a message to be heard?

Yes lads and lasses, I heard it and I’d love to f******g stay here! But, I no can do unless you all might consider crowdfunding an extended stay, say till July

However, if I’m the hex, then we should beat Villa on Tuesday.

• 88 Bobbybee // Sep 21, 2016 at 7:37 PM

Got a bit sidetracked after my taxi duties. 🙂 Settling down to watch a big cup upset I hope – my usual optimism shining through. Gonna have the game on the tv and watch ssn on the tablet. Well, wouldn’t want to miss the goals from QPR if there are any. 🙂 This is a proper cup draw whete nobody expects the underdog to win – me included if I’m honest – but you just never know…

previous post: Full Back Pleased With Performance – Matt Ritchie A Big Help