The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Midfielder Determined To Improve As He Continues To Work Hard

11:47 am, Friday, September 23rd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 6 Comments

One of our bargain buys of the summer – Mohamed Diame – tried a beautiful chip shot in the second half on Tuesday night against Wolves and the ball hit the cross-bar.

It was a terrific effort and that potential third goal would have killed the game for Newcastle.

We did go close a number of times in the second half but in the end settled for the 2-0 win and now entertain Preston North End in the 4th round.

Mohamed Diame – wants to score more goals

That’s a good draw for us but we have to remember Preston beat Bournemouth 3-2 on Tuesday night at Bournemouth after extra time – so they will be no pushover.

It turns out Mohamed has been working on his shooting and trying to get moire goals for Newcastle.

This is is some of what he has said in the Chronicle today:

“Yeah it was unlucky, but that’s the way to score more goals. I need to try more things like that.”

“It didn’t come off against Wolves but hopefully it can happen on Saturday and I am saving myself for then.”

“I’m getting there slowly, things always come eventually if you work hard. I need to keep working hard and all the other stuff will come.”

“I am confident about this.” “The team is in a good way and will have a good game with Aston Villa.”

We’re not sure whether Mohamed will keep his place tomorrow in the number 10 role or whether Ayoze Perez will get the start in his place.

What do you think?

How Will Newcastle Fare At Aston Villa?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · EFL · EFL Cup · Mohamed Diame · Newcastle News

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2016 at 11:52 AM

Got to say I was impressed with Diame the other night. He linked up well with big Murph – who’s play and appearance reminds me very much of Peter Withe back in the day. Seems Diame is getting up to speed and is going to be a big player for us this season.

• 2 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 23, 2016 at 12:02 PM

I thought Murphy played well – first time in a long time we had a old fashioned centre forward who led the line – unlucky not to score. Hope Mitrovich was watching might learn a thing or two on leading the line.

Me – would start with Murphy – get out option when under the cosh.

As far as I am concerned we cannot play/start with Gayle and Perez upfront.

My team
    Darlow – miles better than Sels – commands his six yard box
    Lascalles, Mbemba/Clark
    Ritchie, Shelvey, Diame, Colback, Goufran

• 3 Lindisfarne // Sep 23, 2016 at 12:14 PM

Article about Villas new striker:

Kodjia has made a strong start at Villa, too, opening his account in his second match, against Brentford, with the sort of goal that Villa fans hope to see more of, a sweet curler into the net following a dash past the opposing defence. That match ended in a draw as Villa conceded a late equaliser, a recurring theme in a season that has not begun as expected for a club who spent around £50m in an effort to jump straight back to the Premier League. Villa are 18th in the Championship as they go into Saturday’s match against a club who have begun recovering slightly better from a similar fall, Newcastle United.
    “We know the fans expect wins and we need that, too, so that we can be a bit happier in training,” Kodjia says. “We have a lot of new players and all we need is time for everyone to gel. We have players with immense qualities and a manager [Roberto di Matteo] who has won the Champions League, and knows football very well. We have everything going for us. It’s just about fine?tuning details, getting a bit more luck and, also, becoming more killer in front of goal. Once we’ve done that, I don’t think anyone will be able to stop us. People are going to be pleasantly surprised.” Pleasantly surprising people has become a habit for Kodjia.

IMO – if we keep a lid on this guy and keep the crowd quiet, then we can hit them on the counter. They are a poor second in comparison to ourselves.

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Sep 23, 2016 at 12:16 PM

From previous, yes it was a line up thread but anyone naming a bingo team was naming it on any random thread. It’s only a bit of fun and would be good to see who got the most right at the end of the season. Unfortunately Belfast said last night that he had a correct line up which I ignored, this was immediately jumped on by the charming Jib who basically said the thing was a balls up. It will make life easier for me to check if everyone waits until Ed has posted his line thread then I can check when someone says he has a correct line up.

• 5 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 23, 2016 at 12:28 PM

Not looking forward to Tomorrow’s game
    If we play like we did last week we’ll get thumped – Villa are going to hurt someone.
    If we play like we did at QPR – then we can win it

I’ll take a draw now and a win against Norwich

• 6 BeeGuy // Sep 23, 2016 at 1:14 PM

Diame loks the real deal, I’m worried he will tire on Saturday after playing so many games in such a short time span. I’d be tempted to start Perez as he seems to be getting the idea that the Championship is a bit more like ice hockey than ballroom dancing. But I’d be ready to pull Perez if I saw him running out of gas. Once he loses his speed, he becomes a real liability on the pitch..

previous post: Here’s A Strong Newcastle Side For Aston Villa