The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa – We Must Do Our Jobs And Be At The Top Of The Table

1:22 pm, Friday, September 23rd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

Rafa Benitez has just given his press conference for the important game at Aston Villa tomorrow, when we will try to get our 8th win in 9 games in all competitions.

Rafa has been a little more explicit today that Newcastle must start doing their jobs and get to the top of the Championship table – although he admits it will be hard to stay at the top throughout the season.

rafa benitez press conference

Rafa Benitez at his press conference

Here are some of the manager’s initial comments coming through and of course he respects Aston Villa who like Newcastle is a huge club now in England’s second division after least season’s disasters.

“I’ve said before that need consistency, and I still have the same feeling. One game doesn’t change anything.”

“Yoan was training hard, and when you have that it’s just a question of time before they start playing well and scoring goals.”

“Aston Villa is a big club with a great manager and great players.”

“In one month, everything can change.”  “We have to keep doing our job and make sure we are at the top of the table.”

“It will be tough to try and stay at the top of the table all season, but we will try and do it.”

“It’s a big game for us against Aston Villa. It shows how important this competition is.”

Rafa will also be giving further behind the scenes interviews now for the game tomorrow and those comments should be coming through soon too.

Love the way he really respects every team we play – real class!

How Will Newcastle Fare At Aston Villa?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Championship · Newcastle News · Poll · Press · Press Conference

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bambams // Sep 23, 2016 at 1:25 PM

I hope the real Newcastle United turn up. We need the three points and it’s these type of games we need to win

• 2 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 23, 2016 at 1:25 PM

And the train left the station just as I was posting. 🙂

Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 23, 2016 at 1:24 PM

I see that there were no comments on the Scott Sellars thread.

So here’s my twopennorth.

I maintain that it was his loss to injury that stopped us winning the EPL that season. It was just enough to upset the team balance.

Another player in the Rob Lee who didn’t get all the credit he deserved. Much like Colback now.

That’s it comment over.

• 3 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2016 at 1:28 PM

Bill, well put and amen to that. Always rated Sellars myself and was sad to see him leave, although I’ve got a memory that his fathwr was ill and he needed to kove south? Is that right, or do I have him mixed up with someone else? This getting older is such a bind! 🙂

• 4 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2016 at 1:30 PM

And it’s not improving my typing skills either! 🙂

• 5 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2016 at 1:40 PM

Bill, I’ve got Colback in my team for Saturday as well matey. He literally must have touched every blade of grass on the pitch on Tuesday night. So much of his work goes completely under the radar, because he does all the dirty work. He’s not adverse to spraying the ball around either when the mood takes him. I think we need his tenacity in the middle at Villa, because we’ll likely be fighting hard to control the midfield.

• 6 martoon // Sep 23, 2016 at 1:47 PM

Understand Jail but I thought your idea of the person posting a link was a good one – I think Belfast was just taking the p*ss. But I’ll repost my selection when Ed posts his – incidentally are you monitoring Ed’s line ups he could get the5 points 🙂

• 7 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 23, 2016 at 1:52 PM

Bobby

Haven’t posted my selection yet but I’ll include Colback.

Not sure now when Jail wants us to post but I’ll leave it till tomorrow in case of injuries.

Can’t remember the circumstances of his move, probably needs a Google expert to tell us, do we have one on the blog?

• 8 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 23, 2016 at 1:53 PM

Martoon

I’m pretty sure that Ed has been as clueless as the rest of us. 😉

• 9 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2016 at 2:14 PM

Anyone else remember the circumstances surrounding Sellars’ move south? Can’t help but think it had family reasons connected, in particular his father being very ill. Class act imo.

• 10 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2016 at 2:25 PM

Personally I’d like to see The Gouff just behind the main striker – probably Big Murph – because he’s definitely found his shooting boots this season. Doing that, we could utilise Gayles pace on the opposite flank to Ritchie. The Gouff could take advantage of Murph’s knockdowns with his fast improving volley. Anyone else?

• 11 clinath@ed // Sep 23, 2016 at 2:38 PM

Bobby, wasn’t it Gavin Peacock who was allowed to go back south?

• 12 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2016 at 2:42 PM

Clint, no idea mate, that’s why I’m asking. 🙂 Still got the nagging feeling it was Sellars though. Not that it matters anymore so dunno why it’s bugging me. Just an itch that needed scratching I suppose.

• 13 nut meg // Sep 23, 2016 at 2:53 PM

Bobby
    Sellars moved to Bolton then to Huddersfield if that’s any help.

previous post: What Di Matteo Thinks Of Benitez As A Manager