The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Surprise As DeAndre Yedlin Reveals His Role Model At Newcastle

8:29 pm, Friday, September 23rd, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

Newcastle fans have quickly taken to DeAndre Yedlin since he signed for us last month and maybe some of that was after he arrived he went into great detail about how he realized what a huge club Newcastle were as he lived close to the quayside and traveled into the City a lot while he was loan at Sunderland.

It also seems that Rafa Benitez is very pleased at what he’s got with DeAndre with his top class attitude, his speed and his absolute determination to do well on Tyneside.

deandre Yedlin

DeAndre Yedlin in action for Newcastle

When you have that combination of things then success is usually attainable.

It seems that DeAndre will be in the starting line-up tomorrow at Aston Villa and Yedlin will replace the suspended Vurnon Anita, who was called up for the provisional Dutch squad earlier in the week.

This is what Yedlin has said about Vurnon to BBC Radio Newcastle – who is in the last year of his five year contract at newcastle:

“He’s been unbelievable.” “He is a guy that I have been absorbing a lot from in training and I want to learn as much as I can from him.”

“He’s also been a big help to me and taken me under his wing as soon as I came in.” “He’s a great guy and I am learning a lot from him position-wise.”

“We are about the same size so winning balls in the air we are pretty similar.” “If I am chosen to play for those games I will obviously give it everything I have.”

“I’ll try to keep attacking and helping the attack and obviously have the defensive shutouts.”

“That’s the most important thing as a defender to get those shutouts so I will do whatever I can.”

That also shows what a great professional Vurnon is and we have to assume Rafa will give him a new contract before next summer.

Yedlin had a good game in the 2-0 win over Wolves on Tuesday night and that was his very first start for the club.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Aston Villa?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Championship · DeAndre Yedlin · Newcastle News · Poll · Vurnon Anita

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2016 at 8:32 PM

Is there anybody there? Knock once for yes and twice for no… or maybe not. 🙂

• 2 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2016 at 8:38 PM

Just in case I’m not alone here, I see Aubmeyang – or whatever – has scored tonight for Dortmund. Apparently we’ve been keeping an eye on him for January.

• 3 Jib // Sep 23, 2016 at 8:39 PM

Everyone’s doon the Bigg Market spewing in the gutters and snorting poppers

• 4 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 23, 2016 at 8:39 PM

• 5 Average_Contents // Sep 23, 2016 at 8:41 PM

Clean sheets de andre, clean sheets.

Wash your mouth out. Not in public though.

• 6 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 23, 2016 at 8:41 PM

Aubmeyang is a £50m plus player, don’t think he’ll be coming to us.

• 7 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 23, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Only reposting this so I can remember my Rafa team.

Rafa bingo confirmed

Yedlin Hanley Lascelles Clarke
    Colback Shelvey
    Ritchie Diame Gouffron

• 8 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2016 at 8:45 PM

Bill, just going on reports mate, thought it might be a bit ambitious. Then again, last year of his contract and all that is bound to bring his price down quite substantially. Wages wouldn’t be an issue like and we do have the attraction of Rafa, so their might be a smidgen of truth in it.

• 9 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 23, 2016 at 8:46 PM

Re Previous post, the youngsters seem to be doing well this year, do they come under Beardsley’s remit.

• 10 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2016 at 8:47 PM

AC, aye, ‘defensive shutouts’ indeed! 🙂

• 11 Bobbybee // Sep 23, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Bill, not a chance. Dave Watson’s running the U18’s I believe. Pedro does the reserves/U23’s.

• 12 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 23, 2016 at 8:50 PM

He might be interested if we a flying high in January otherwise it’ll probably be a team like Arsenal or Spurs who’d get him.

Be a bl**dy good buy though.

• 13 giimps // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:02 AM

I would love to see pea here, he’s the complete striker for me, power pace and desire but first and foremost he has a footballing brain.
    I think it’s the wrong time for him to come here, hel more than likely run his contract down and go to one of the other big boys while we’re in the championship, hel basically be able to name his signing on fee and wages from a champions league team ……pity though and I hope I’m wrong, he would destroy this league and be very effective in the prem if/when we get there

previous post: Top Talent Can Finally Play For Newcastle

next post: Aston Villa Star Player Missing Against Newcastle?