The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Poll – Who Was Newcastle’s Best Player At Villa Park?

8:14 pm, Saturday, September 24th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 60 Comments

The best way to put this game is that Newcastle were wasteful of the chances we had in that first half and we basically threw 2 points away in this game when we conceded a late equalizer on 89 minutes.

Our performance in the second half was poor and we let Aston Villa right back in the game.

We cannot keep throwing points away and now have just one point from the last two games and drop to 5th place in the league.

Aston Villa v Newcastle United EFL Sky Bet Championship 24/09/2016.

A disappointed Rafa Benitez after the game

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Aston Villa?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Championship · Match Reports · Newcastle News · Poll

60 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lindisfarne // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:18 PM

clinath@ed @19 last article – agree

• 2 Ron Knee // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:19 PM

Priceless photo!

• 3 manxpie // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:20 PM

manxpie // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:19 PM

clinath it’s because he had the static diame with him i really don’t see why he is starting against derby he was terrible and again today
    i don’t think its his position tbf but surely thats a wasted player when we have perez murphy and mitro to take that place

• 4 manxpie // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:22 PM

ron yep definitely needs an iron too!

• 5 Ron Knee // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:23 PM

I wonder if he’s glaring at anyone in particular?

• 6 Bobbybee // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:23 PM

BandB overleaf, couldn’t agree more re the Norwich game. Our problem on here is we go too far ott when we win and too far the other way when we lose – or even draw. Gone from five from the top to four from the top today and the top has just closed up a bit. We’ll be fine.

• 7 clinath@ed // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:23 PM

Must agree with you there Manx. Dropping Gayle deeper with a bigger centre forward in front of him would appeal more to me. But Rafa like 4-2-3-1 seems to negate that.

• 8 clinath@ed // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:26 PM

It’s definitely not the end of our season Bobby/BandB, in fact we are ahead on my points per game predictor.
    I don’t get to see many games, so when I do, and we throw it away like that….well, I get a bit emotional. 😉

• 9 WWSBRD // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:26 PM

Haha but we’ve played Villa now seems daft to have them on there haha

No but my point is after Norwich we have a good ole run of games we should be winning (am sure we wont win them all but most) so once January is here we can see where we actually are in the scheme of the league

• 10 Bobbybee // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:27 PM

Perez, imo, has had one good game this season, against QPR when the whole team was made to look very good by a poor side. I’d like to see The Gouff with a striker and utilise Gayles pace out wide, where we know he can play. Not clinical enough to be the lone striker for me.

• 11 BandB // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:27 PM

We are on the same page, bobby.
    We are struggling for consistency, both individually and collectively.
    I think we have too many players who are inconsistent by default to ever click into a juggernaut. But we should be good enough, and far too good on the occasions when we do click.

• 12 clinath@ed // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:28 PM

September always looked tough on paper. October should be a lot more lucrative for us.

• 13 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:29 PM

To be honest I have not seen a performance to get excited about – missed QPR game – but the rest played in fits and starts.
    Look a decent team when we move the ball quickly- but to many times we are to slow in our build up.
    Going to be tough I think to claim a automatic top two spot on what I have seen so far

• 14 clinath@ed // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:29 PM

True BandB

• 15 Ron Knee // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:30 PM

Meanwhile, Antonio Conte can’t be a very happy man tonight!

• 16 manxpie // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:31 PM

mitro for me ron!
    i was thinking just after he came on no closing down just jogging about and then that stupid flick
    he aint a happy player and i’m sure he’ll be even more unhappier in the next few weeks

clinath i agree but gayle in diame’s position is the obvious for me with murphy up top
    diame is a more def mid than a number 10 thats evident he looks totally lost

• 17 Bobbybee // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Clint, I said before the game that I’d take a draw, but granted, after dominating the first hour a draw might be a disappointment. Villa are the draw specialists so far after all. We’ll all be smiling if we win the next game and as somebody pointed out already, we follow that with a run of very winnable games. Sloppy finishing might cost us, but then we both know who should be playing don’t we? Get him back in January and give him those chances – bingo! 🙂

• 18 clinath@ed // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:34 PM

I’d give Gayle behind Murphy a go, yes.

• 19 clinath@ed // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:36 PM

Like you said earlier Bobby, he would have buried that chance. Gayle has nothing that young Arma cannot match, so hopefully he will be back in January with about 10 goals under his belt.

• 20 manxpie // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:37 PM

kelly always makes you feel better after a bad result tho!

• 21 Bobbybee // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:39 PM

BandB, we’ve seen what we can do when we click properly. Don’t give much for this comparing with the 09 season either – totally different league with better teams. Not seen a team to really worry us yet and promotion, even by gd is the target. We’re a Championship club, not a PL club but some are forgetting that fact. I’m reasonably happy with our start because there’s more to come from this team.

• 22 Lindisfarne // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:42 PM

I liked seeing when the two wingers interplayed with Gayle, it really caused Villa problems and but for better finishing could have lead to a goal or two. Diame was very disappointing as he fell over (caught out shifting his weight) scuffed and balloned shots, otherwise he was not close enough and not very effective in midfield either. There is hope for the lad but he and Sels could do with a few weeks off. We needed a more robust midfield playing away from home against a pacey attacking side, which admittedly in the first half the wingers provided defensive solidity combined with attacking creativity. It was just that Rafa could not change the personal or plan to cope with their upgrade in fortune, especially after Yedlin was injured. However an away point gained rather than two dropped.

• 23 Bobbybee // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Be nice clint, 10 for Barnsley followed by 15 for us should give you n me a chance of top scorer mate! 🙂

• 24 manxpie // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:47 PM

when you look at it norwich have had a far easier start than us plus a much harder run next and i’m sure if we are in the same position by january we’ll bring a few top players in

• 25 Bobbybee // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:50 PM

Manx, Rafa’s already on the hunt for January and no doubt has some decent players lined up. Still 30 mil in the black, so he won’t be shy to spend.

• 26 Munster Mag // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:53 PM

Let’s not faff around here. We have enough to beat any team in this division home or away. But if Rafa keeps this cautious approach we will not make the most of our talents. If we had attacked them more we Wed have won, but that’s the Rafa approach. Control and shape and structure. Very disappointed tonite. That’s 4 defeats already.

• 27 James RS // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:54 PM

Get rid of Sels if you want to get promotion; poor positioning; half hearted attempts at saving; doesn’t shout to inspire confidence in the defence…no confidence under pressure flaps at crosses punches too much. Krul; Elliott; Darlow; Woodman and Sels is the goalkeeper ranking order.

• 28 manxpie // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:54 PM

even loans bobby there will be plenty with the new rules
    all in all we ain’t in a bad position……….. yet anyways!

• 29 Bobbybee // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:55 PM

Er, muster, we drew mate, we didn’t lose! 🙂

• 30 Jib // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:56 PM

Buddy Holly if he had survived would have been 80 years old this month !

• 31 manxpie // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:56 PM

munster we drew man!!!

• 32 clinath@ed // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:58 PM

Oh Munster…..I thought I got worker up mate. 😉

• 33 Bobbybee // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:59 PM

Manx, and Arma to come back. Managing to score for a team not exactly brilliant. He doesn’t miss many of those one on ones. I still see us winning the league with or without reinforcements. Many other clubs are much of a likeness and will take points off each other.

• 34 James RS // Sep 24, 2016 at 8:59 PM

Newcastle seemed to go off the boil in the second half once Yedlin went off.

• 35 Ron Knee // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:00 PM

Well, I guess it doesn’t matter anymore, Jeff.

• 36 NoahJ // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:00 PM

whilst I dont want to rock the boat/ sound like I’m complaining about rafa (because I am so thankful to have him), but he cannot be immune to criticism, and tonight he has to accept that he made some poor decisions.

everyone could see villa coming more and more into the game, and players like diame, gayle were fading. to bring on mitrovic, who is anything but a ball-holder (where was murphy? he would have been perfect), and a beyond unfit tiote, was completely mindless.

his persistence to stick with sels is also getting stupid now. he cannot control his box, and that is among the first requirements of a goalkeeper. every single corner, I felt nervous because of that.

I get his love of rotating, and trust that will pay off over the course of the season, but I think that lack of experience from the players in playing together really showed tonight. I think he should stick with 7 or 8 core players, the rotate the rest if he wishes

• 37 BandB // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:04 PM

Not to forget F Scott Fitzgerald, who would have been having his 120th bash tonight, had he managed to stay This Side of Paradise… instead of croaking at 44.

• 38 manxpie // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:05 PM

nah i want arma staying where he is tbh bobby he wouldn’t get the game time here at all even tho i understand where you are coming from
    but he is learning his trade right now and that needs to continue

• 39 Bobbybee // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Noah, I think the major problem is the players learning to adapt to Rafa’s system tbh. That will come with time. Rafa’s used to having better players who can do as he asks them to, but they’ll adapt to each other as the season progresses. Not even a quarter way through yet but we’re doing ok. We will get better, of that I’m really confident.

• 40 Jail for Ashley // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:07 PM

Well firebug666 has just gone down as the first name and points on the Official Rafa bingo XL spreadsheet. Well done firebug666 and unlucky everyone else. Really felt like a loss in the end but I think most would have took a point before the game. We could have been out of sight by half time and again in the early second half. Missing chance like that gives the crowd and the opposition some belief and they seized it. For the first time I have lost faith in Sels, he looks shot for some reason, Rafa has stuck with him and he should have grown in to that. He missed a very easy cross in the first half and he was way off his line for their offside goal, Hayden should have done better in marking for the header but Sels looked a bit shaky, I don’t think he is inspiring confidence.

• 41 Ron Knee // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:08 PM

“I had a beautiful talent, baby.” F. Scott Fitzgerald

• 42 manxpie // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:11 PM

its amazing how gini was so sour faced playing in the deeper role for us but is more than happy doing it for liverpoo
    wat a kernt he actually was i really hope he goes the same way as enrique!

• 43 Jail for Ashley // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:12 PM

Did you watch the game ffs, we were all over them in the first half, we had 18 shots. Diame missed a couple of sitters and Gayle missed a one on one, slagging for the sake of slagging.

• 44 BandB // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:13 PM

Is this going to be a league?

It strikes me that if predicting Rafa’s teams is as “impossible” as you keep claiming, it won’t have many members, and that firebug may even have already won.
    If if isn’t that tricky, then its premiss is flawed.
    I think you should give firebug an extra point for every week no-one claimed and reset it to five points for the next game.
    That way you won’t need a spreadsheet. And people will be rewarded for finally getting it right after weeks of Rafa being particularly tricky.

• 45 manxpie // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:13 PM

jail he obviously didn’t he thought we had lost!!

• 46 Bobbybee // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:14 PM

Manx, he’ll get the game time once Rafa realises he’s better than what we’ve already got! 🙂 We ain’t got a more natural finisher on our books. I’m happy with him where he is, but unless we can sign a more natural finisher, he could well get recalled in January. Neither Gayle or Mitro are as natural and miss too many good chances for my liking. Like to see Big Murph partnered with The Gouff just behind him tbh. The Gouff is striking the ball well this season and could score a good few from the No10 spot.

• 47 Bobbybee // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:20 PM

Anyway, think I’ll see what movies are available after the boxing is finished, so I’ll call it a day. Personally I’ll take that point from the draw specialists of the league. They clearly lifted themselves for this game and we still should’ve won! Onwards and upwards. G’night all.

• 48 manxpie // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:20 PM

as i said bobby i totally get where you are coming from but having 25 mill worth of talent upfront he ain’t gonna get a chance tbh
    i wanna see murph up with gayle or perez behind him from now tho as gayle up on his own isn’t a force for me and mitro obviously isn’t impressing rafa

• 49 BandB // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:22 PM

And you’ll also whip up interest from the roll-over buzz……

• 50 manxpie // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:32 PM

tbh i think its only a bit of fun and people are being way way too serious about it lol

• 51 Jail for Ashley // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:35 PM

My priority is the league!

• 52 BandB // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:36 PM

Says manx, with his famous lightness of touch.

• 53 toon22 // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:37 PM

Imho Elliot is our best keeper lets hope he gets back soon.

• 54 BandB // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:37 PM

Okay then Jail,

I might enter every week with 10 seconds to spare, then 🙂

• 55 manxpie // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:39 PM

says bandb with her famous dislike of bloggers postings teams

• 56 Jail for Ashley // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:39 PM

My priority is the league!

• 57 BandB // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:43 PM

I like bloggers posting teams now manx.
    Now they don’t include calls for the inclusion of people who always were and never will be any good on the grounds that they have to be better than “that knob ……… (insert name of player who had a poor game)

• 58 BandB // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:44 PM

Okay Jail

It’s your baby

• 59 BandB // Sep 24, 2016 at 9:54 PM

And I know why…

PS….Ian (May He Live Forever) , Jib, Belfast etc aren’t entering.

So you are going to “prove” nothing about “know notws.”

• 60 James RS // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:51 AM

Where did those 14 votes for Sels come from…must have been Mackems. He was rubbish! Not a clue won’t make it

previous post: Late Aston Villa Equalizer Denies Newcastle A Win