The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Rafa Discusses DeAndre Yedlin’s Ankle Injury

11:05 pm, Sunday, September 25th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 29 Comments

We probably could have guessed that Newcastle will assess the extent of DeAndre Yedlin’s ankle injury on Monday and see how bad the damage is and whether there is any chance of the 23 year-old American playing against Norwich on Wednesday night.

Yedlin was our Man of the Match on Saturday with around 50% of the vote and he had an impressive game especially attacking down the right wing and his cross in the first half was turned into his own goal by Tommy Elphick.

DeAndre Yedlin aston villa

DeAndre Yedlin in action on saturday
Our Man of the Match

Yedlin picked up his injury after 75 minutes and Isaac Hayden went to right back – where he’s played before at Arsenal – and in came 30 year-old Ivorian Cheick Tiote in central midfield for his first appearance of the season.

This is how Rafa responded after the game when asked about DeAndre’s injury:

“We will have to see, he twisted his ankle.” “We will see. We have to wait.”

“I don’t like to talk too much about one player but I think the team as a team was good in attack.”

“We knew in the first half that Paul Dummett and Yedlin could be important players for us and they did really well.”

“After the substitution of DeAndre maybe we had to adjust things and sometimes you cannot control everything.”

“In this case maybe it was handy for us that DeAndre played.”

Yedlin stood in very well for Vurnon Anita and will provide some real competition to the Dutchman for the right-back spot.

He had one assist on Saturday and could even have scored himself in the second half – he already has one goal in his five appearances for Newcastle and has settled in quickly on Tyneside.

Tags: Championship · DeAndre Yedlin · Injuries · Newcastle News · Press

29 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:12 PM

There you have it Firebug.

• 2 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:14 PM

Really Ed? I thought you were going to give uscan update on his injury, as we’re all dying to know how bad it is. Is this what they call click bait in the internet world? Had me going for a minute.

• 3 Belfast // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:23 PM

Fingers crossed he’s fit!

I could have predicted this argument between you two about four hours ago lol (honestly)

• 4 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:26 PM

Bobby…At least we have that in common. We’re predictable.

Belfast…P*ss *ff 🙂

• 5 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:28 PM

Anyway, having repeatedly tried to get back to football, clearly I’m wasting my time. This clearly isn’t going to stop so I’ve got better things to do, before we have the next episode. Nobody gets to tell anybody how to live their life. Your boycott was an utter disaster – maybe because the majority of those calling for it don’t go to games in order to boycott. Funny old world. You do your thing and I’ll do mine. How hard is that?

• 6 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:31 PM

It’s not Bobby and for the most part, that is how you and I live our lives. However, we will likely cross paths on this blog as we both use it. Also, we tend to have some fundamental differences which cause conflict.

Not sure what the solution is. You don’t keep quiet about the things you don’t agree with me on, do you propose I do? Doesn’t seem a fair deal to me. Perhaps as I said earlier, stop bringing tiers into the discussion where it doesn’t need to be. You don’t need to justify yourself to make a point.

I’m not jumping on that boycott grenade. Perhaps another time. Until then, take care.

• 7 Belfast // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:34 PM

If it was Rafa bingo I would have gotten a full house. Now add that five points to the five points that Jail never awarded me and I’m top of the league by five points.

• 8 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:36 PM

Belfast…If you add them together, wouldn’t you have ten points?

I thought no one had any points yet?

• 9 Graeme // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:38 PM

Belfast, IF Jail didn’t award them, the chances are, they didn’t exist in the first place!!

• 10 Belfast // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:39 PM

No Firebug won it I think.

• 11 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:40 PM

Really? How come Ed didn’t do an article?

Was there a party? Why has his name not changed to “Sir Firebug of Rafa Bingo”?

So many questions.

• 12 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:42 PM

Belfast, so could I mate, it seems it’s inevitable every time we meet on here. Weeks and weeks without a crossed word and then… Ibiza. 🙂 The general from across the water dictating terms about support. Sorry, but telling anybody how to live their life – and then to insist that you were right all along, despite strong logical argument – is almost guaranteed to wind people up. Opinions are one thing, dictating is completely another. Agree to disagree Ibiza, or will this continue ad nauseum? Never been good at taking orders because I’m my own man. Might explain my short army career! 🙂 Ibiza, seriously mate, have all the opinions you want my friend but realise that when you try and impose your misguided opinions on others, there will always be a backlash. You need to leave our argument about boycotting to history and not keep dragging it up. The said boycott is now a dim and distant memory that never really got started. I don’t wish to carry it on because it’s totally irrelevant now. Let us both calm down so that next time we can hopefully discuss what threatens to be a decent season. History is history. And that’s about as close as an apology as you getting 🙂 The daft thing is, we might well get on in the real world… maybe. 🙂 goodnight all.

• 13 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:42 PM

However, it’s good to know you have your basic maths under control.

I do worry about you. Often. Some might say you’re worrisome.

• 14 bettyswallocks // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:45 PM

Maybe a poll to decide who is the most loyal fan would decide things.

Jail is good at organising polls.

• 15 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:48 PM

How about a poll to decide who’s the biggest stirrer betty? You have very little competition there mate! 🙂 🙂 (double smiley so you don’t think I’m serious!!)

• 16 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:48 PM

Bobby…In an odd way, I’ve thought we could get on too. You should have been on the blog a few years back, you’d have liked me back then. I was a right optimistic tw@ 🙂

I might be going mad, but I swear you brought up the boycotts tonight, not me. Not that I want to debate the point.

One little explanation, I like to discuss things, much like you do. I don’t get how when I post it’s dictation, but when it’s you it’s just stating an opinion. Seems a tad unfair. I can’t make anyone do anything from here, just state my views. Otherwise Belfast wouldn’t still be posting.

• 17 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:49 PM

I’d vote Bobby!

Does this need a disclaimer?

• 18 jimmysmith // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:53 PM

After 9 games we have a goal difference of 10, Norwich 6, Huddersfield 4, with a still unresolved attack and a slow start. That must auger well.

• 19 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:57 PM

Ibiza, before i go. The dictating was your insistence that I was the problem for not boycotting and to keep insisting you were right. I never could boycott because it’s not me. Telling people what to do from afar is kind of dictating surely? Obviously that is a sticking point that needs to be cast into the bin where it belongs. Going over it all again won’t solve anything. Agree to disagree and next time.. well, find something else to row about at least! 🙂 take care over there. Glad to leave it on a happier note. Like two very grown up people. ( i know, even I’m struggling with that one) 🙂 Grown up? Never happen and far too late in my life to even try it. G’night.

• 20 Ibizatoon // Sep 26, 2016 at 12:04 AM

Bobby…Take the anger out of it and you do actually have a very interesting topic.

Can you please do me one favour. Stop saying “the problem”. I don’t think I even said it, but it certainly isn’t what I’ve ever thought, it’s ridiculous.

I too am happy to be leaving it on a happy note. It isn’t personal, I promise.

On the dictating point I still don’t see the difference in me saying “Your part of the problem for attending games” or you saying “Real fans don’t boo” neither are direct quotes, nor are they debate subjects…just examples…not even sure why I thought of those ones….ha.

You’re saying what you think people should or shouldn’t do and so am I. Wouldn’t it be great if people just listened! Night.

• 21 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 26, 2016 at 12:43 AM

Haven’t been in long and have been catching up on some of the comments.

One thing that sprang to mind is if the booing discussion could be converted into energy, then we wouldn’t need Hinkley Point. 🙂

• 22 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 26, 2016 at 12:58 AM

Really need to get to bed but just want add my twopennorth, I personally don’t recall ever booing the team for it’s performance or at all.

But it’s a free speech country (mainly most of the time) and if people want to express their dissatisfaction by booing then that’s their choice. To say they are not true supporters but good time charlies is a bit disingenuous.

After all we haven’t really had many good times to cheer in the last 50/60 years but we have always maintained pretty good gates, only true supporters would give that level of commitment, including a lot of the so called boo boys.

Having said all of that I don’t think there is a real need to be booing as yet, if we were near the bottom perhaps but not now.

Anyway good night

• 23 expatmag // Sep 26, 2016 at 3:25 AM

You 2 are acting like a couple of infantile primary school kids. Fcuking grow up. I have seen 5 year olds conduct themselves better……geeez

• 24 Magpie Season // Sep 26, 2016 at 4:41 AM

So I just ordered from Ashley’s Sports Direct for the first time. The online Australian one. They got some cheap stuff on there.

Anyone try it?

• 25 Lindisfarne // Sep 26, 2016 at 5:48 AM

You get what you pay for. I prefer Decathlon.

• 26 Lindisfarne // Sep 26, 2016 at 6:04 AM

More Sel-acious material:

• 27 Al Yalayis Lad // Sep 26, 2016 at 6:34 AM

Magpie Season

So I just ordered from Ashley’s Sports Direct for the first time”

I am not rich enough to buy cheap things

Just reading through all the comments, there are a canny few “Hinge n Brackets” here mind

• 28 one fine day // Sep 26, 2016 at 6:55 AM

magpie season,
    Be careful they don’t throw in the oversize sports dire mug on the sly

• 29 one fine day // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:01 AM

Just watched cabella score a very decent free kick for marseille too after the ball rolled to him by … thavin and then followed up with a strike by Gomis .
    These players all looking classy back in france .
    you can kind of understand how carr was mugged every time .
    Just pray he isn’t going shopping for our next striker there in January

previous post: Newcastle Could Sign Talented Ireland International In January