The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Newcastle Player Shows Class And Guts With One Tweet

6:54 pm, Sunday, September 25th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 100 Comments

After the game there were a lot of nasty things said about goalkeeper Matz Sels who was a little bit hesitant in coming out for the corner from which Aston Villa equalized but not much about the good save he made to keep us in the game during stoppage time.

Newcastle fans support their players through thick and thin which is what Rafa Benitez keeps asking for.

Matz Sels in action yesterday

If Matz plays on Wednesday night we hope he gets some good support from the fans at St. James’ Park.

He’s still adjusting to both life on Tyneside and playing in England, but Matz had the guts to post this on his Twitter account after the game.

Let’s keep supporting all the players.

Tags: Championship · Matz Sels · Newcastle News · Tweet · Twitter

100 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Got to say that’s a great response from Sels. Makes you wonder what sort of dickhead goes on twitter to abuse him like that. They’re a disgrace to NUFC and cowards to boot. I’m one of those who would like to see Darlow given a chance, but I’d never resort to that sort of shyte. Great respect for his response.

• 2 Average_Contents // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:01 PM

Something we agree on….

• 3 WWSBRD // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:04 PM

That’s not a real Sels account is it? He deactivated his

Support him yes but he shouldn’t be starting he’s costing us points imo and we have a better option on the bench

• 4 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:05 PM

AC, hard not to mate on something like that.

• 5 Bambams // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:05 PM

Every player makes mistakes throughout a game.
    If you are a forward or midfielder you rarely get punished…..

Defenders have goalkeepers to save them.

Keepers make a mistake and it’s usually a goal.

I don’t think he has been that bad, saved a certain goal agains Brighton to name one. It’s his first season and all that.

Remember Darlow got stick after his performance against West Brom. ….

• 6 Belfast // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:05 PM

It’s a fake Twitter account according to the mag.

• 7 WWSBRD // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:07 PM

Aye that’s not his real account Ed

• 8 Yo-yo // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:07 PM

Patience is not a collective strength of many Toon fans. Judgemental beyond the call of duty.
    All players make mistakes – the only ones we should criticise are lack of effort and lack of commitment.

• 9 Belfast // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:08 PM

Haha You get some weird barstewards about like.

So how did it feel to be Matz Sels for the evening ? It felt magic.

• 10 WWSBRD // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Sorry like but Sels has looked passable because he’s had barely anything to do, he’s looked suspect every time he’s been called upon to make a save

He’s not a bad keeper and he will get better but right now he needs to be on the bench

• 11 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:10 PM

Isn’t the mag a fake Newcastle rag? πŸ™‚

• 12 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:12 PM

Yo yo, bang on the button mate.

• 13 WWSBRD // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:13 PM

Would u keep starting Sels?

• 14 Belfast // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:20 PM

I can’t remember Darlow ever being that shaky to be honest. Apart from his first two games he looked fine. I expect Sels to remain number one though because he’s the managers goalkeeper.

• 15 GeordieTwo // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:24 PM

The whole team needs to be more consistent if we are to finish in the top two, or even the top six. I’m sure Rafa is telling the lads that. They know they’ve been poor at times this season. I wouldn’t bother abusing one player. Darlow will replace Sels when Rafa decides it’s the right move.

• 16 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:28 PM

James…That was more the point I was making. The debate should be about the merits or not of booing. Not what type of fan those that do are.

I’m not really sure why it comes in to things as much as it does. I don’t think all “real fans” act the same way, so what does it have to do with anything?

Anyway, for what its worth, I agree booing is unhelpful.

Bobby…I didn’t mean to imply you weren’t more than a customer. I don’t even attend games and I still consider myself a fan Bobby. I think that’s possibly more to do with why we sometimes disagree (nicely put by the way πŸ™‚ ). It was just a point that everyone that goes is a customer. Beyond that, you will have people who feel and act differently. There aren’t any golden rules to it, just each persons views on it.

I imagine even fans who you’d consider on your level have booed. It happens. Not sure anyone is in a position to say when enough is enough and you can boo…clearly it’s a personal thing and shouldn’t leave your supporter status in the balance…imo.

I do get what you’re saying, by definition a supporter is someone who encourages etc. What about tough love though? It is still a form of support, it’s just not for everyone.

On Sels, nothing to do with yesterday or the abuse he’s got on Twitter, I’ve felt for a while that he hasn’t warranted the number 1 spot and really had no clue why Darlow was dropped after doing pretty well towards the end of our PL campaign. If we’re not going to stick with him, surely it should be for an immediate improvement?

• 17 Belfast // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:28 PM

West Ham are in deep poo like. Their keeper saved them from a major embarrassment earlier.

And Jimmy I’m nearly sure that stupid green carpet is covering the running track. Think I read somewhere ages ago they had to keep the running track.

• 18 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:29 PM

We don’t know what’s been said behind the scenes. Might be that Rafa said he’d give Sels ten games regardless, so he could settle in without the pressure. If he did, it hasn’t worked, but can’t see him reneging if that was the case. Sels has had his chance and for whatever the reason, he still hasn’t settled. Imo it’s time to give Darlow a chance to stake a claim. But then, I’m not Rafa and it’s his call.

• 19 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:30 PM

I also wonder whether the Darlow / Lascelles history helps?

• 20 James RS // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:33 PM

WWSBRD good words…Sels does look suspect every time he has to make a save and too risky to play every match in a very important promotion campaign… he’s okish but should be on the bench as he’s costing us points… positioning is poor flaps at crosses and doesn’t instil any confidence in the defence as he doesnt organise or shout and looks short on confidence. Krul, Elliot, Darlow, Woodman and Sels should be the pecking order in such an important position.

• 21 GeordieTwo // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Elliot should be the man when he’s fit. He proved it last season. A veteran now. A good shot stopper and very decent distributor of the ball. I hope he’s back as soon as possible.

• 22 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Ibiza, like I said earlier, I wasn’t a customer in the 60s-80’s, I was a fan who put up with shyte conditions and mistreatment. Nothings changed imo. I’m a customer at Asda, but not SJP. I did say boo if you must, but don’t expect it to help. I want our players to feel comfortable at home, not under pressure that’s all. But booing following one loss after six straight wins? Get a grip! πŸ™‚

• 23 GeordieTwo // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:37 PM

Also Elliot’s feet are much wider than Krul’s, which I’ve always been impressed by.

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:41 PM

I’ve backed Sels all the way despite his shaky start hoping that the faith Rafa showed in him would see him produce the form that made him Belguim keeper of the year, but yesterday showed that he needs taking out of the firing line, he nervousness was affecting the rest of the team and as pointed out

• 25 WWSBRD // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:41 PM

Yup I agree with that evaluation of Sels but I’d have him behind Darlow and ahead of Elliot personally

Elliot is too slow, good back up keeper but that’s it especially with his injuries

• 26 toon22 // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:43 PM

West Hams stadiums going to look lovley in the 1st division lol

• 27 WWSBRD // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:44 PM

Honestly if Darlow was in the sticks in the last two league games we’d have 3 more point imo

• 28 lesh // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:48 PM

Southampton’s Charlie whatshisname seems to be popping ’em in these days. Were we ever interested in him?

• 29 Yo-yo // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:50 PM

I’d rotate him with the rest of the squad. But as I am a big fan of Darlow anyway I think Darlow may end up getting the No1 spot as he matures.

For now I can see the logic of giving Sels the match experience with different back4s. We need 2 or 3 keepers who can cut it. Our defence is totally different with Rafa anyway.

We didn’t draw just because of Sels – so singling him out for yesterday is unfair.

• 30 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:52 PM

Lesh, not sure… think i missed that bus! πŸ™‚

• 31 WWSBRD // Sep 25, 2016 at 7:58 PM

I can only speak for myself but my opinion of Sels is from more than yesterday, he’s been poor all season imo

I don’t agree with rotating keepers though, there’s no need to not play ur strongest keeper every game and right now Sels isn’t our strongest keeper

Giving him experience at the expense of wins isn’t helping anyone especially when he looks out of his depth and shot of confidence. Am not saying he’s not trying but am very critical of his performances so far

• 32 GeordieTwo // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:03 PM

We’ll have to wait and see. It’s still quite a while before Elliot is even in contention but surely it’s time Darlow started again? Sels may take quite a while to settle and we can’t afford that.

• 33 toon22 // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:07 PM

I cant think of any club in the world who rotate their keepers other than for cup games,you pick one and stick with him.

• 34 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:11 PM

I think anybody who watched the cup game last week will agree that Darlow looked very composed and commanded his box like a keeper should. Sels has looked shaky and he can’t be enjoying his football right now. Would be kinder to take him out of the firing line for a while, but like i said earlier, we don’t know what’s been said behind the scenes1

• 35 Tsunki // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:12 PM

Sorry Bobby just read your response, I do get you. And I’m not disputing any of what you’ve said. My point is that Mikes perspective of match day attendees us by on seats, and that’s why we have a ground filled with a large contingent of fragile fans. Hence the booing the minute things aren’t going according to the pre-season pamphlet.

• 36 Tsunki // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:13 PM bums on seats..

• 37 Tsunki // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:16 PM

Tbh I find Benitez’s loyalty to Sels baffling. Darlow hardly disgraced the tail end campaign last season. So far he seems to be affording the new boy the luxury of using a crucial campaign as a training session.

• 38 Jail for Ashley // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:22 PM

Continued from 24 (ran out of battery)
    Lascelles was shouting at the bench about him, I never seen that but saw him remonstrating with over yet another bit of flapping, surely it’s time to bring in the Championship experienced Darlow.

• 39 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:22 PM

Tsunki, aye, you have a point, which is why I’ve often said I’d rather have a stadium with 35k fans backing the team all the way, win lose or draw, than a full stadium of fickle twots. Mikey might see me as a customer, but I’d sharp tell him if he called me one face to face! Obviously he’d rather see a full stadium of anybody he could get in, because he’s a bread-head and that’s the way football has gone lately. It’s how you see yourself that matters imo and I’m 100% a fan and will be till the day I die. πŸ™‚

• 40 Jail for Ashley // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:26 PM

We’re all fans otherwise we wouldn’t be on here seven days a week.

• 41 bettyswallocks // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:28 PM

The difference between true loyal fans and customers is that true fans have a deep rooted love for Newcastle United Football Club and are accepting of the fact that the playing staff are only representatives of the club and the owner only a custodian.

If the product on the pitch doesn’t live up to expectations then paying customers who expect value for their entrance fee are entitled
    to boo. However the product on the pitch is never going to make a true loyal fan lose their love for the club and commitment to supporting it through thick and thin.

• 42 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:31 PM

Jail @40…Hear hear!

Bobby…Was it free back then? Weren’t all football stadiums pretty much the same? The industry standard?

I did also say that I agree….booing doesn’t help, so no idea why you’re telling me to boo if I want…clearly I don’t. My point throughout has been that just because a fan chooses to boo, imo, it doesn’t make them a lesser fan than say you. That’s all.

• 43 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:33 PM

Jail, agree mate, but according to some we’re mere customers! πŸ™‚ Not me and not you by the sound of it. Customers have a choice don’t they? Go where you get value for money? Could we go to Sunlun if they were top of the PL and we were in the first division? NEVER I say – never. That’s why I don’t get the ‘customer ‘ tag. Once a mag, always a mag.

• 44 Tsunki // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:34 PM

Jail @40 ha yes bunch of saddos eh? πŸ™‚

• 45 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Ibiza, that’s where we’ll have to agree to disagree. I find anybody who boos after one bad performance, following six straight wins to be a bit of a dillon. πŸ™‚

• 46 WWSBRD // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Do we have to have levels for fans?

99% of people who go to games are fans boo or cheer they are still fans

• 47 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:40 PM

Bobby…A dillon? That’s new to me so not sure how to react.

• 48 WWSBRD // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:42 PM

Are we calling u names? I can give u some suggestion haha

• 49 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:42 PM

And i don’t recall saying they were less of a fan anyway, just fickle buggers. I find it odd anyway. When we went from 30k fans down to 10k fans, who would you describe as the better fan? The ones who deserted, or the ones who stayed? This idea that we’re all the same is pc bollix in my eyes. We’re not. Some are more loyal and have proved it over the years and I fail to see how anybody could argue the fact.

• 50 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:43 PM

Ibiza, dillon. Think magic roundabout. πŸ™‚

• 51 bettyswallocks // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:44 PM

Booing after one poor performance following six wins is only for the fickle customer. Do they expect us to win every single game.

• 52 Jail for Ashley // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:45 PM

I like to close Faygate and run over a Rafa bingo points thing. BandB mentioned a change to the point scoring, a roll over system, I don’t like it that idea, it’s like a shyte monopoly player landing on free parking. Right now we have a full squad bar Elliott, Aaron’, Haidara and Anita. When there are six or more players unavailable there are only four points for a win, seven, three etc.

• 53 Jail for Ashley // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:47 PM

• 54 Belfast // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:48 PM

Still Booing yer bingo!

• 55 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:50 PM

Bobby…Was never my thing πŸ™‚

Was Dillon a naughty supporter?

Not sure if you said “lesser”, but it’s clear from your post, and previous postings, that is how you view things.

I’ll ask another question…of those 10k that stayed (and please don’t think I’m dissing them) was there never a boo to be heard?

I think too often you try to paint all “real fans” to be just like you, when they’re more than likely not all just like you.

I’d never doubt those loyal fans that do stick through it all no matter what are the backbone of this club. Nothing but respect for them. I honestly feel you show the rest of the fan base, who are supporters whether you like it or now, a serious lack of respect. But that’s just my opinion.

• 56 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:51 PM

I don’t like it that idea either Jail. Whatever that means πŸ™‚

• 57 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:52 PM

Betty, i like you more every day mate. πŸ™‚ Who would you describe as the better fan? Those who deserted, or those who stayed when we were utter drivel. We haven’t been that bad since, so not everybody can be included, but a fan who deserts when it gets really bad isn’t as loyal as one who stayed. Which was my point. My only point really. We are not all the same and the really bad times are when it shows. Hopefully those times will never test our current fanbase again.

• 58 cyprus // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:53 PM

Hope this goalie improves and fast, we need that to win games. Yesterday was truly two points dropped and he owes us a couple points.

I’d still rank them this way: krul, Elliott,darlow,sels. PS. Not seen enough of sels- or Darlow, so this is only based on little evidence.

• 59 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:58 PM

And you’re entitled to it mate, but don’t put words in my mouth please, as you have a tendancy to do. As for when it was really bad, then as I recall it, it was more a gallows humour as to how bad we were – terrible!!! But we still turned up and made a racket, home and away. Once you get that bad, booing makes no difference either way.

• 60 JamesToon // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:58 PM

ED, i have a feeling that that account is fake, he deleted his main one yesterday.

West ham played pre-recorded fans chanting through their speakers during the game today just to create atmosphere hahahahahaha

• 61 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 8:59 PM

Cyprus, I agree on Krul. I think people have forgotten how good he is tbh.

• 62 Jail for Ashley // Sep 25, 2016 at 9:01 PM

Didn’ think you were allowed to do that.

• 63 bettyswallocks // Sep 25, 2016 at 9:01 PM

Bobby….. Obviously the ones who continued to go to games and support the team when times were very grim through their love of the club are more loyal . That goes without saying.

That doesn’t mean to say that the paying customers are not entitled to stay away or express their displeasure when the team doesn’t perform.

They support the the team and the performance on the pitch.

• 64 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 9:05 PM

Bobby…So saying they “ain’t fans” isn’t saying they’re a lesser fan than you? So you’re saying they’re the same fan as you? What’s the “Better fan” stuff about then? My comprehension skills must be way off.

Perhaps we should leave the tendencies debate for another day. You’re beginning to become obnoxious and in turn, so am I.

• 65 Belfast // Sep 25, 2016 at 9:13 PM

I don’t think you are allowed to do that. I would be very interested in the job position if they need a permanent crowd music deeeeeeejay though πŸ™‚

I’d even bring my own sound effects.

• 66 Yo-yo // Sep 25, 2016 at 9:13 PM

I really don’t like this “All Toon fans are good, but some are better than others” stuff
    It soon morphs into “All fans are equal but some are more equal than others” and we all know where that takes you

• 67 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 9:15 PM

Betty, sadly it doesn’t go without saying or we wouldn’t be having this conversation. πŸ™‚ I’m proud of my record, that has been earned the hard way. People who don’t go have no idea the commitment it takes, when for example, you set off the night before to travel down and watch a draw against Plymouth! It’s total commitment as we know. Hitch hiking all over the place in the rain and snow is how we got our reputation as the most loyal fans and I find it disrespectful when that is poo-pooed. It was bloody hard work for a team that was awful! πŸ™‚ I do think there are level of fans tbh. That’s my opinion and like everyone else, I’m entitled to it. I can’t travel anymore, for obvious reasons but I have the utmost respect for those who do. Been there, done that myself, so I know the commitment it takes. It’s nothing like sitting in front of the box with a can in your hand. To be the best fans you need to put in the effort. If people think I’m wrong, I couldn’t give a toss, because in my eyes, I know I’m not. Match going fans – everyone, not just me ffs – are what makes a club tick. Nobody should have a problem with that.

• 68 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 9:24 PM

I’m talking about the past. The present isn’t the same because, as I’ve pointed out, we haven’t been that bad for years. Boo away if you wish. Be a customer entitled to throw your toys out the pram when one game goes tits up following six straight wins. If you think that makes you a good fan, by all means carry on. You won’t change my opinion though, so don’t waste your time trying. Ibiza, you’ve always had a chip on your shoulder about my loyal support and called my ‘the problem’ when I refused to boycott. Obnoxious does about cover it. I’ve said it before, don’t tell match going fans what to do when you don’t go yourself.

• 69 bettyswallocks // Sep 25, 2016 at 9:25 PM

Bobby….. This debate will rumble on but everyone has the right to support the club as they see fit or as their circumstances and situation allow.
    I agree that the die hard supporters of our club who have attended matches through good times and bad deserve respect for their loyalty.

• 70 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 9:42 PM

Betty, i know that mate. When i talk about the fans who stayed, I’m talking about ten thousand of us, not just me. Ibiza always tries to turn it into me vs the rest. He said we should boycott, when he doesn’t even go ffs. What would he be giving up? A lifetime of support? Hardly. I was ‘the problem’ in his eyes, because my loyalty to NUFC wouldn’t allow me to boycott. He’s had a chip on his shoulders ever since. We all have an opinion and that’s what this is for – to share those opinions. Right or wrong, I don’t rate fans who boo when the season is going well. Sorry if that upsets people, but I’d be a liar if I said any different. This started about booing, nothing more, but he’s like a dog with a rag and keeps harping on to wind me up, then cries when I take the bait. Yes, I’m intensly proud of my lifetime support, that has cost me more than money over the years. I’ve put my life into supporting the lads, but I don’t ever – and never have – said I’m the only one. I always mention the 10k who stayed with us because I’m as proud of their commitment as my own. We’re all the same is pc shyte mate. I fully understand that some people can’t go and I don’t knock them. In fact, I don’t knock anybody. All i said is that some fans are more loyal than others, but that’s a crime on here, even though it’s the hard truth. Anyway, now he’s done, let’s let it go eh? Look at Leicester. 19k average last time in the PL. 32k when they won the league. Are they all the same? No. Why is that a problem for some people?

• 71 jimmysmith // Sep 25, 2016 at 9:45 PM

Yeah I know it protects the running track, but it does look woeful on the telly, in stark contrast to the playing surface and stadium, which are both top notch. I’m certain they’ll sort it out. Less certain about Bilic’s capacity to sort out their back four though. Don’t think managers need time. Ten games into a season is plenty. Even if they all feel like away games. He’s a good guy, but West Ham must be sounding out replacements. Too much at stake.

• 72 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 9:50 PM

Anyway. Back to football on the pitch. I’d like to see The Gouff given a more forward role. Stick him behind, say, Big Murph, because he started life as a striker and has shown recently why. Nobody is striking the ball sweeter than him imo and he could capitalise on Murph’s dominance in the air. Now, anybody agree or have a better idea? πŸ™‚

• 73 lesh // Sep 25, 2016 at 9:53 PM

What’s Harper doing these days? Maybe he could give Sels the benefit of his vast experience?

• 74 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 9:54 PM

Jimmy, surely not being able to train on the surface you play on every other week must be detrimental to the players on a whole? Don’t you think that it’s the familiarity of your home turf that gives you an advantage? I think they’ve shot themselves in the foot by agreeing only to be there on match days. What say you?

• 75 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 9:57 PM

Lesh, I think it’s a confidence thing that no amount of training can help. Maybe it’s the massive crowd he can’t cope with at home and that’s affecting his form home and away? I honestly think the best thing is to take him out of the firing line for a period and allow him to get used to a big crowd on the bench before sticking him back out there.

• 76 lesh // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:01 PM

But isn’t there a difference between supporting and being a fan?

Surely to support is to encourage, help, motivate etc.

Players are human and like us all, need support to get through difficult times. Criticism isn’t easy always helpful.

• 77 bettyswallocks // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:04 PM

Bobby……… In all walks of life actions speak louder than words. I also was a regular attender both home and away before the Hall/Keegan era and there was every reason to boo then more so than at present. I can’t remember much booing back then, we just got on with it.

Since Keegan raised expectations at the club there are far more dissatisfied customers when we play Shyte but there are far more customers these days than the ten thousand back in the day when crap football was the norm.

• 78 lesh // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:04 PM

* Unless criticism’s delivered constructively, it isn’t exactly helpful.

• 79 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:06 PM

Lesh, do you mean criticism on the pitch or on the blog? The personal abuse he got is bang out of order and nothing to be proud of. In fact it’s shameful. I for one don’t want to be associated with those customers. πŸ™‚ Booing or abusing anybody seldom instils confidence and is in my opinion self defeating – as I may have already expressed. πŸ™‚ Discussing his faults on here is fair game I think, but sending him abusive tweets? Not for me.

• 80 lesh // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:07 PM

In the days of the McKeags and the Westwoods of the world, the booing was directed at the board, not the players surely?

• 81 lesh // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:10 PM

Sorry if I wasn’t clear, but I meant to refer to booing the players at the game. Everyone’s entitled to criticise after the game, but not when players are on the park.

• 82 lesh // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:12 PM

And slamming and abusing players via their twitter accounts isn’t right either.

• 83 davis_toons // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:16 PM

Claudio Bravo…

Joe Hart…

Jack Butland?

• 84 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:17 PM

Betty yep, but what happened to the 30k not long before that? They quickly vanished leaving the likes of you and me and ten thousand others to carry the flag. Then we suddenly has 50k lifelong fans, which doesn’t fit with the numbers. πŸ™‚ Let’s just leave it mate because it’s something you agree with or don’t and it’s clearly hard to bridge. πŸ™‚ Anybody with even a modicum of our history shouldn’t be surprised when we win nowt. We’ve had bad owner after bad owner and nothing’s really changed over the years. They’ve used it as a cash cow and that goes back as far as I do and Westwood the pirate. Ah, jim lad, give me your money. πŸ™‚ I have strong views that some people find hard to live with, but I’m my own man and say it how I see it. Anyway, what about playing Gouff behind Murph? Makes sense to me, how do you view it?

• 85 bettyswallocks // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:18 PM

Lesh……. Aiming our hostilities at the board was a separate issue to booing the players and was easily distinguished. The idea of abandoning a club that has a permanent place in your heart is out of the question. I think that’s the point on loyalty Bobby was making.

• 86 jimmysmith // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:22 PM

Bobby, training on it might help the players to bed in a little better, but the fans have misgivings too I think. They are a long way from the pitch. The Boleyn ground had a distinct atmosphere and was a big part of the West Ham culture that the site doesn’t at all reflect. Still, they are playing so poorly it’s hard to believe they’ll simply put it down to the move and take the chance on riding it out with Bilic too much longer. Six games is too soon to pull the trigger, but he’ll know he’s on notice.

• 87 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:24 PM

Lesh, it was. The fans had, as I said earlier, a gallows humour where we expected to get beat most games. πŸ™‚ I’m with you about booing, but apparently not allowed to express that view, which is tough really, because I will. Booing never helps because it makes players nervous and unhappy about playing at home, which is totally counter productive. They are human after all and I know it would affect me.

• 88 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:30 PM

Betty, yes, yes and thrice yes. You get me. I could no easier boycott than chop my own hands off. Being told that I’m the problem, because i disagreed with boycotting is like a red rag to a bull mate. Especially when it’s coming from someone who’s never been and can’t begin to understand the wrench of seperating myself from the club I love. It’s like me saying ‘everyone should give 50 quid a week to the starving. Everyone except me like, because I’m the one with the idea!’ πŸ™‚

• 89 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:30 PM

Bobby…Talk about putting words in to someones mouth.

Of course you can express your view. I simply asked a question and offered a different view. You apparently see that as me “baiting” you to go off on one of your real fan rants.

The fans of this club are a big part of the pull of this club. All of them. I have a lot of respect for the die hards, of course, this hasn’t ever been about that. It’s an emotional thing, I understand that, but don’t try and preach reason at the same time.

I don’t think I could make it any clearer that I don’t think booing helps, nor would I take part it in. Just that it doesn’t make someone less of a fan. They’re acting on their emotions.

Sorry for the repost…

Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 2:46 PM

I can’t work out why if someone boos they’re less of a fan.

Could it not be argued that they boo because they’re frustrated? They’re frustrated because they care? Because they’re fans?

I get the argument that it doesn’t help the players, honestly I do. I also get there will be some unrealistic fans within the ranks as well, but surely not everyone that chooses to support differently should get tarnished with the same brush of not being a real fan?

Football has changed significantly over the years and so will the fan base. Reminisce about how it used to be to your hearts content, but don’t forget this new generation of fans are the clubs future fans.

Much like the fans should take the highs and lows, so should the players take the highs and lows of the fans.

• 90 Mister Tuff // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:32 PM

I’ve just got one comment to make in response to this evenings main discussion topic.

• 91 firebug666 // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:35 PM

Boogate still in full flow I see.

I was wondering and posted earlier if anyone has any information on Yedlin’s injury.

I think he will be needed on Wed so hoping he is fit.

• 92 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:36 PM

Bobby…You think I don’t understand that feeling? You think it only applies to lifelong NUFC fans?

Get a grip. You loon.

Not that you’ll listen, again, but it was “part of the problem”. I have no problem standing by that statement. Unfortunate, but true. Even so, that still doesn’t mean you should or shouldn’t do something, nor do I believe I ever suggested otherwise. For sure, I argued my opinion, just like everyone else.

• 93 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:39 PM

Mister Tuff…Made me jump!

Firebug…I did give myself a whole hour and a half break.

Can’t help with info on Yedlin I’m afraid. How many more games does Anita miss, one?

• 94 jimmysmith // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:40 PM

Booing is free speech. People are entitled. Doing it after 2 games, and after such a transformation in the squad and 11, seemingly a little dim, and probably aided and abetted by a few broon dogs. Still, players, coaches, managers, need to deliver on match day. It’s the business they are in. If I don’t perform at work, I have to answer for it, so do they.

• 95 firebug666 // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:41 PM

A full hour and a half. lol

Aye Anita has one more match ban (Norwich) and then he is back, or maybe even right back.

OK I’ll get me coat.

• 96 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:47 PM

Firebug…You’re not helping. I have a real urge to boo you. Truly awful πŸ™‚

Try Sels at RB?

Jimmy…I’d go along with that. I do get how it’s not helpful during games. The players should be able to rise above it, but as the game is hugely about confidence, it can’t be denied it’s counterproductive seeing as we’d like our team to win…in an ideal world.

• 97 firebug666 // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:52 PM

Ah well I tried, but now the booing has started I’m off to close my twitter account, that’ll teach ya! πŸ˜€

• 98 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:54 PM

I can’t understand why any public figure would want to be on Twitter.

Surely you have to love the abuse to participate? Whilst I don’t condone it, it’s not like it’s unexpected? The internet is full of it.

Catch you later, if that was a sign off

• 99 Bobbybee // Sep 25, 2016 at 10:57 PM

Ibiza, you look for a row with me every chance you get. You read between the lines things that aren’t there, and say that’s how you see it. See it how you want matey, I couldn’t give one. If you agreed with me, why did you keep harping on about it and saying I think I’m better than everyone else. Have I ever said I’m the best fan? No, but you and others seemed to keep repeating it. I don’t take lessons on how to support my club from fans who never go to games. If that upsets you, ask me if I care? All fans are equal in your eyes, right? No, they ain’t mate. That’s pc shyte and only comes from fans who don’t go. I have no problem with overseas fans, but draw a line when they call me the problem for my loyalty. Shove it where the sun doesn’t shine mate. There’s plenty overseas fans i discuss with, but only you seem to have the problem. I know I can be blunt and some people don’t like it. Now I’m trying to leave this discussion behind, but it keeps cropping up. This is how I see it. You don’t go to games. You don’t get to tell me how I should support my team. End of. I don’t like booing because it doesn’t help, but I can’t stop those who do. That’s life, but I can express an opinion on it and I will when I feel it right. Booing after six straight wins is for dillons in my personal opinion. Am I not allowed to say it? Why does it so bother you, when clearly I’m not talking about you, because you ain’t there to boo. My opinion is mine and I don-t expect everyone to agree with me, but I have the right to express it as much as they have to boo. Agreed on that? They boo, I disagree – why is that such a problem for you? What is your problem with me anyway? Why do you have to keep harping back to the same old argument, in which you see me as saying I’m the best fan in the world when I never have expressed such a view? You just read it between the lines. Does my loyalty, that extends to never boycotting, make you that insecure about your own support? I don’t get it, honestly I don’t. But this is a blog about opinions and I have strong ones. In my own opinion, there are levels of support and I can’t help how I feel. You don’t have to like it, so let’s agree to disagree and move on – again. I’ve never claimed that I’m the best fan, but you like to imagine I have, presumably to garner support from like minded people who agree were all equal. This ain’t an equal pc world mate, get over it.

• 100 Ibizatoon // Sep 25, 2016 at 11:11 PM

Bobby…I don’t. It’s a point you keep making over and over.

Just make the point that you don’t agree with booing. For some reason it became about real fans wouldn’t boo. There is just no need for it and it’s the cause of our grief. I don’t need to read between any lines, you have said these things and keep saying they are your opinions.

Of course I accept there are more dedicated fans than myself. I’m not an idiot Bobby. I just don’t believe it to be that big of a factor in all honesty, when talking about things logically, not emotionally. I don’t care enough to continue this. You think I have some sort of vendetta against you, which is incorrect. Accept that or don’t.

I didn’t direct the initial question at you, nor have I had this issue with anyone else tonight I’ve discussed it with. My issue was never about booing, as I said, it was about those that do being falsely classified.

It’s got nothing to do with pc crap.

“Does my loyalty, that extends to never boycotting, make you that insecure about your own support? I don’t get it”

If at some point you would like to me explain my thinking, I am more than happy to do so. Probably best not tonight though. Probably best for us both to leave it for the night.

previous post: Our Man Of The Match – A Tremendous New Signing