The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Young Defender Still Dreams Of Newcastle Future

6:17 pm, Monday, September 26th, 2016 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 46 Comments

Rafa Benitez is an experienced manager who transformed Newcastle’s squad over the summer transfer window and the team is still gelling but if we keep improving like we have so far this season we could become a really top side quite soon.

That’s the hope anyway as Rafa gets to grips with his new players and we certainly brought in some bargains over the summer – players like Matt Ritchie, DeAndre Yedlin, Grant Hanley, Isaac Hayden, Ciaran Clark and Mo Diame to name only six.

Kevin Mbabu in action for Young Boys against Bazenheid

21 year-old Kevin Mbabu hopes to return to Newcastle next summer as a better player after his loan spell to BSC Young Boys and the problem Kevin has had in his Newcastle career is that he has been injured most of the time.

The 21 year old had a number of injuries whilst on Tyneside since signing for us in January of 2103 and the defender made his debut last Sunday in the cup against Bazenheid for BSC Young Boys.

This is what he told Berner Zeitung after the game:

“I needed time to find the game, felt some pressure,” “It was good for the confidence.”

“By now I know exactly what it takes. It is important to complete a season without injury.”But that was hopefully just the beginning.”

“I hope to still often play in this league.”

And Kevin also talked about his almost four years so far at Newcastle:

“In the beginning it was not easy without family and friends in a country where you do not understand the language.”

(yes –  that Geordie can be difficult)

“But then I got used to the intense training, learned a lot, I have no regrets.”

Young Boys Coach Adi Hutter was impressed with Kevin:

“He is talented and will continue to develop with us. But we must not forget that he has not previously played a long time.”

“It has been seen that he is a robust and strong player with potential.”

“He has integrated very well with us.”

So far that’s Kevin’s only first team appearance and he has also played twice for the BSC Young Boys U-21 side.

Kevin will need to do well this season with Rafa during the summer having brought in five new back four players including three new full backs – Jesus Gamez, DeAndre Yedlin and Achraf Lazaar.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Norwich?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Championship · Kevin Mbabu · Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Other News

46 responses so far ↓

• 1 GeordieTwo // Sep 26, 2016 at 6:21 PM

Conga line forms here!
    We want Adam Armstrong! Boom!
    We want Adam Armstrong!
    Boom boom, boom boom, boom, boom!

• 2 welshgeordie9 // Sep 26, 2016 at 6:39 PM

I think we will be lucky to get a draw on Wednesday, Norwich are not a bad side, much better than villa.

• 3 welshgeordie9 // Sep 26, 2016 at 6:40 PM

What’s happened to my colour Ed, i want my red back.

• 4 WWSBRD // Sep 26, 2016 at 6:44 PM

What makes Norwich better than Newcastle?

• 5 welshgeordie9 // Sep 26, 2016 at 6:53 PM

I didn’t say they were better than us, I’m just thinking they might give us a harder match than what villa did.

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Sep 26, 2016 at 6:55 PM

Has my Avatar changed to a picture of Ashley in Jail?

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:01 PM

How’s this for customer service. Show me the link where you posted a correct eleven or shut the fcuk up!!!

• 8 welshgeordie9 // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:06 PM

thats not very a very nice thing to say as a customer service colleague.

• 9 one fine day // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:08 PM

Budge 123
    From yesterday
    Sorry had to rush out so didn’t reply mate.
    On mitro , actual I am a fan and hopefull he will deliver ( I have him down with mar toon as my top scorer ,but also have us down to win the elf cup so at least one bit is still alive)
    I think the rotation does work for most players and is a massive improvement on last year now that no play owns his place and they have to push very game to stay in the side but I do agree with you on the consistency side of things.
    Just think he seems a bit prone to sulking when he isn’t in the starting line up.
    He should have been busting a gut to make something happen and justify a selection for Wednesday .
    I think the only players rotated are those who underperformed so far.
    As I said I’d love him to have a week with shearer one on one to sort him out in how to put yourself about in a smart way .
    Failing that we put him in room ala clockwork orange and make him watch ALs 206 video on repeat ?
    And if he hasn’t improved by Christmas then I hope we have something (even Arma at this level although still not convinced he is prem league yet )or someone lined up

• 10 WWSBRD // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:13 PM

If u don’t think they are better than us why would we be lucky to draw mate?

• 11 bettyswallocks // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:13 PM

Welshie…… I saw this and thought of you.

• 12 WWSBRD // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:16 PM

I’ve got the same avatar showing on mine mate

• 13 welshgeordie9 // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:24 PM

Thanks, that’s very sweet of you.

Ha ha ha

• 14 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:29 PM

It was areal pity about his injury when it happened he was showing real potential in that Chelsea game same as Yedlin is now.

As you say we should and do have a team that should be able to outscore any of the others in this league.

Only however if our lads don’t keep missing sitters

What happened to that goal scoring coach, I suspect he’s not with us still.

• 15 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Stats showed that we had 18 shots and 4 on target.

As a aside to the above, are shots that hit the post or crossbar that were direct and not deflected classed as on target or misses. I would say that they are misses, any other thoughts on the matter?

• 16 WWSBRD // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:44 PM

They aren’t on target mate so go down as misses

• 17 YoungMagpieFromBurnley // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:51 PM

Hey all, hope you’ve all had a great day!!

Onto Newcastle, really worried about the Norwich game. They are showing that they are too good for this league, have we?

• 18 Belfast // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:52 PM

I can’t locate it Buster. It’s your ball so you can take it home. I don’t like it anyway. Meh!

• 19 Bobbybee // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:53 PM

Go on G2, give it large about Arma. You know it makes sense. 🙂 He doesn’t miss sitters.

• 20 Ron Knee // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:57 PM

If Watford win tonight, they draw level with Chelski!

• 21 Bobbybee // Sep 26, 2016 at 7:58 PM

Let Norwich fear us YMFB, they haven’t played anybody yet. Good time to set down another marker, this time at home. I’ll take the same score as last season now. 🙂 Unlikely maybe, but they’ve got the same suspect defence. Gonna watch your lot right now, or should I say your local team – no offence mate.

• 22 Bobbybee // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:02 PM

And with the flick of a switch, the tablet magically transforms into Sky Sports. The wonders of technology. 🙂

• 23 GeordieTwo // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:04 PM

I’m really disappointed by Perez and Mitro so far. Let’s look at the stats shall we?
    Mitovic: 1 goal, 1 assist, 111 minutes played
    Perez: 1 goal, 1 assist, 473 minutes played! weak in all categories according to! Wtf???

• 24 Bobbybee // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:04 PM

What would Catweazle have made of this then? Electrickery! Fft, fft. Age showing again. Later.

• 25 GeordieTwo // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:05 PM

Shocked at Perez’s stats! He’s been absolutely hopeless. Time to gather some splinters on the bench Ayoze!!!

• 26 GeordieTwo // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:06 PM

Get Armstrong back Rafa mate! This Perez has become a joke!!!

• 27 sing in the corner // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Clubs like these…Watford, Burnley, bloody Swansea. All in the Premier league, and theres us in the Champo. 🙁

• 28 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:20 PM

Yeah that’s what I thought, I do find it irritating when commentators say it’s unlucky when a shot hits the post.

It’s a bl00dy miss, even Goofy’s the other week!!

• 29 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:23 PM

Jon Pertwee, Dr. Who and Catweazle, what an actor.

• 30 Themesh // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:27 PM

to be fair to mitro , 111mins and 1 goal 1 assist thats little over 1 game in match time so its not too bad, but i guess it was QPR

• 31 WWSBRD // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:37 PM

Must admit I do love a connoned shot off the sticks, that Ayew one was a beaut

A moment where the entire ground holds it breath

• 32 WWSBRD // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:38 PM

Callum Roberts is banging them in for the reserves isn’t he? Anyone know out about him?

• 33 Essex Geordie Bill // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:51 PM

I suppose you could say that was lucky for us. 🙂

• 34 Bobbybee // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:55 PM

WWSBRD, aye, he was one of my players worth mentioning from the Academy mate. Tricky winger who likes to cut inside and smash em. Good going either way and can deliver a fine cross. Used to work really well with Arma when they were both academy players. Mentioned him a few times on here as one who might break into the first team squad.

Just watching the game – 1-0 to Burnley. Three teams, these and Bournemouth who’s combined attendance will be lucky to match ours this season, yet here we sit in the Championship. Funny old world.

• 35 WWSBRD // Sep 26, 2016 at 8:59 PM

True though had Yedkin not collapsed Ayew wouldn’t of gotten the chance so lucky for them haha

He’s been training with the first team recently so he might get a go before season end we aren’t that well off for wingers especially with Aaron’s injury problems

• 36 Bobbybee // Sep 26, 2016 at 9:05 PM

WWSBRD, when I first started posting I used to get to a lot of Academy and U21 games, before my back decided it had had enough of it. 🙂 When people were saying we never bring players through, I pointed out my opinion that we had some good kids I thought might go all the way. One went to France, so not worth bothering with, but the others were Arma, Aarons, Roberts and Mbabu, who were all playing together at the time. Mbabu then got injured and I thought he’d left – whoops- although he was out for such a long time. Roberts is quick and can pick out a good pass so it wouldn’t surprise me to see him given a chance.
    Anyway, back to the match.

• 37 WWSBRD // Sep 26, 2016 at 9:14 PM

I used to go and see them whenever they were at St James, Whitley was a bit too much effort for the pay off tbh stopped a few years back when Bigi was playing CB and we had a striker at RB

I’d love for us to start being through the odd home grown player though time will tell if we do…I still don’t hold out much hope

• 38 jimmysmith // Sep 26, 2016 at 9:30 PM

Newcastle, despite underperforming terribly at times are still the 6th best epl team historically. Essentially you have to be good to break in and nail down a place. Without doubt the academy has failed to bring through enough players, but the number you could also hope for is undoubtedly going to also be low given how good you do need to be. Being an elite side in English football, our Academy I suppose is more of a production line for the lower leagues in reality. Rafa may improve things, but obviously it requires investment along with expertise.

• 39 WWSBRD // Sep 26, 2016 at 9:33 PM

Doesn’t help when u sack ur academy off either tbf

• 40 Bobbybee // Sep 26, 2016 at 9:59 PM

Quite enjoyed that. 2-0 to Burnley. I’ve got to say, Dyche has assembled a group of real grafters there. If there’s a harder working PL outfit, I’ve yet to witness one. What they lack in technical ability, they certainly make up with sheer hard work. At 67 mins they’d already covered a full four kms more than Watford. How long they can keep that workrate up remains to be seen, but credit to them so far.

• 41 Bobbybee // Sep 26, 2016 at 10:01 PM

We’re currently sitting second in the U18’s league Jimmy, having only lost one game. Another part of the club Rafa’s influence is showing through.

• 42 Bobbybee // Sep 26, 2016 at 10:04 PM

Anyway, for some real entertainment I think I’ll watch the presidential debate. Two of the most unelectable and unlikeable candidates in American history going head to head. 🙂 should make for essential viewing.

• 43 Griff-toon // Sep 26, 2016 at 10:17 PM

Do any of you think we have a small psycological advantage vs Norwich because of the 6-2 win last time?

• 44 JAMSHA // Sep 26, 2016 at 10:23 PM

Harsh Ppl Blameng Sels, Give Him Time, Gayle And Diame Should Be Blamed Aswell Only If They Had Managed To Score 1 Of Those 4 Easy Chances There Wouldnt Be So Much Pressure

• 45 jimmysmith // Sep 26, 2016 at 10:26 PM

I think if we play to our potential we’ll win well. There’s always the looming spectre of the heavy shirt that so often seems to weigh us down at home. With the level of support we get, there’s a sizeable weight of expectation beyond our actual achievement. We can win 6 nil at QPR, then lose 2 nil at home to Wolves. Performance anxiety, feet of clay, whatever you call it, we are dogged by it.

• 46 jimmysmith // Sep 26, 2016 at 10:39 PM

Mitrovic and Murphy need more game time now to press their claims. Gayle has been given a fair shake while those two have been out of the picture, but I’m far from convinced he should be the main man up top. Our best performance was at QPR, and Mitro was up top, in his first full game, with Perez behind and both were very good. I’d like to see them both start against Norwich.

previous post: Di Matteo Praises Villa – Has Good Words For Newcastle Too